"Fixing" the AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: "Fixing" the AFL

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Too many teams, too many knee jerk rules. Piss off two teams and go back to nineties umpiring and protect the bloke going for the ball. Get rid of the sub rule, two teams and the goal review.

Job done.

regards,

REB

I like the goal review, it just needs to be foolproof and make the right decisions.

Even umpiring kids footy it can be hard to tell if it was a goal or not from a scrummage or if you become wrong-footed to due a mis-kick or something.

I think the camera on the hat provides the most accurate feedback, I like technology in our games when it proves to be 100% accurate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby JK » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:59 pm

The game needs to be made easier to umpire. The AFL also need to stop this "rule of the week" bullshit and treat them all with the same priority. Stop changing or trialling rules or umpire numbers mid-season too.

Hate to admit it, but I feel for the umpires these days.

Agree with the calls for reduction in teams, but thats never going to happen.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Too many teams, too many knee jerk rules. Piss off two teams and go back to nineties umpiring and protect the bloke going for the ball. Get rid of the sub rule, two teams and the goal review.

Job done.

regards,

REB

Definately agree there are too many sides. The second teams in Queensland and NSW will never work. The AFL will be pumping money into them forever, they will have to eventually cut their losses
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re:

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Job done.

regards,

REB

Definately agree there are too many sides. The second teams in Queensland and NSW will never work. The AFL will be pumping money into them forever, they will have to eventually cut their losses

Yep agree less sides & play each other home & away each season.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:10 pm

sub rule gone
capping the interchange gone
AND STOP CHANGING THE BLOODY RULES EVERY BLOODY WEEK...
AND THAT ZONE RULE CAN P*SS RIGHT OFF... DISGRACE IF THAT COMES IN!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:33 pm

cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Job done.

regards,

REB

Yep 2 less teams. Scrap all preseason games and go to a 30 round H&A season. If the AFLPA is worried about fatigue etc you could increase list size by a couple or reduce the length of quarters by 5 minutes
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re:

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Job done.

regards,

REB

Yep 2 less teams. Scrap all preseason games and go to a 30 round H&A season. If the AFLPA is worried about fatigue etc you could increase list size by a couple or reduce the length of quarters by 5 minutes

They've already cut 5 minutes off each quarter, 20 plus time on is fine.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Most of the rule changes and interpretations over the years seem to come from pressure from the top.
Realize it's the players game and apply one simple guiding principle - to the advantage of the player with the ball. ie become more lenient with holding-the-ball when three blokes are laying on top of him, when he's taken two steps with possession of the ball, out-of-bounds deliberate, don't call play on when a player blinks sideways.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:The actual game doesn't need fixing although it annoys me when they kick it backwards to each other in the last few minutes as it often kills my multi's but that's just me being selfish. Having said that, it wouldn't bother me if the introduced the rule that if you kick the ball backwards in your defensive half it can't be classified as a mark.

Provided the player was not under pressure or was a scrambled kick.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:11 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:The actual game doesn't need fixing although it annoys me when they kick it backwards to each other in the last few minutes as it often kills my multi's but that's just me being selfish. Having said that, it wouldn't bother me if the introduced the rule that if you kick the ball backwards in your defensive half it can't be classified as a mark.

And there opens the room for interpretation which provides inconsistencies with umpiring decisions that so frustrate us all.
If you're going to add yet another law that allows interpretation, you might as well not introduce it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Re:

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Jim05 wrote: Rik E Boy: Too many teams, too many knee jerk rules. Piss off two teams and go back to nineties umpiring and protect the bloke going for the ball. Get rid of the sub rule, two teams and the goal review.

Job done.

regards,

REB

They've already cut 5 minutes off each quarter, 20 plus time on is fine./quote]
[/quote][/quote]
Agreed McQueen, reduce it by 5 minutes and then players will run EVEN HARDER during those reduced quarters, which will eventually translate into a need for even shorter quarters, and on it will go.
Last edited by therisingblues on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

And there opens the room for interpretation which provides inconsistencies with umpiring decisions that so frustrate us all.
If you're going to add yet another law that allows interpretation, you might as well not introduce it.

That's what I was thinking, black or white.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:39 pm

marbles wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I think we should step back in time and untweak a few things that didn't need tweaking.

* Piss the interchange cap off.

a cap would ensure players would have to stay out on the field longer and tire, instead of rotating 4 players every 30 seconds when theyre heart rate is peaking

there is no exhaustion out there, it needs to return

the ruck rules are also ugly, i felt sick in the port bombers game when the ump pulled out infringements multiple times for simple innocent wrestling

no bouncing the ball, throw up everytime, and prevent having to bring the ball back when the ump **** up his bounce

* one forward & one defender must be in the forward 50 at all times is a rule i like

Another way we could bugger players so they can't run so much is enforcing a piss up rule after every game. This would reduce fitness levels to 1980's levels when there was nothing wrong with the game. It would also ensure players enjoy their footy more and take out that awkward question of "should we ban drinking" bullshit, because it would be mandatory and everyone would have to do it.
I think after a win players should record blood alcohol readings of .2 before they are allowed to stop drinking. If a player passes out before then there should be a doctor on hand to check that he has actually passed out, we don't want anyone faking it.
Losing teams should be divided into groups of 4, and each group should be responsible for demolishing at least one carton of beer between them. Of course they are welcome to drink more if they want to, and this should be encouraged, but it is important that we establish some baseline.
All drinking should take place at a sanctioned piss up place with a big sign on the door that says "Drunk AFL Blokes Behaving Badly: leave your cameras and recording devices at the door". All participants should be made to sign away their rights to complain, sue, publish or sell any stories they have from the night.
Other positives are that it would remove the temptation to do harder drugs that don't impede fitness, it would open the door for sponsors and put the Australianess back into the game.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Love it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm

TRB....you've got the job.

I bet you can also do a tie up better than Gil McLaughlin too! What is it with these private school boys and doing up their ties like that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:47 pm

The problem with rule changes is that the coaches will analyse and overanalyse it meaning it will become diluted, just like every other rule change in the game. My idea is to stop the analysis and return it to the game it once was.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MJ_23 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm

gadj1976 wrote:The problem with rule changes is that the coaches will analyse and overanalyse it meaning it will become diluted, just like every other rule change in the game. My idea is to stop the analysis and return it to the game it once was.

How can you stop Analysis?
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:36 pm

MJ_23 wrote:My idea is to stop the analysis

Two things have led to a decrease in the quality of the game

1. Addition of 2 extra teams has diluted the talent pool. This is obvious and should have been expected but we dont really talk about it. Another 5 years and this wont be an issue

2. Time taken to make an umpiring decision. In the quest to create a free flowing continual motion game, the umpires decided to give players longer to dispose of the ball, which, whilst reducing ballups, created a huge congestion issue.

If they went back to being quick and decisive with their decisions, the congestion wouldnt have time to form and the game would flow freely. A prime example of this is the holding the ball rule. The umpires hatch a bloody egg every time they make a decision, just give the free and move on.

Similarly for incorrect disposal, which seems to have disappeared as a free kick, but also allows rolling mauls to form.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:31 pm

MJ_23 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:The problem with rule changes is that the coaches will analyse and overanalyse it meaning it will become diluted, just like every other rule change in the game. My idea is to stop the analysis and return it to the game it once was.

How can you stop Analysis?

by analysing my initial post..... :-)

Seriously, the rule changes have all been brought in because coaching has gone to another level. Let's stop the rule changes by stopping the over-coaching. Make players play more 'off the cuff'. On the back of it, we'll see more open footy like the 'olden' days.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:My idea is to stop the analysis

Two things have led to a decrease in the quality of the game

1. Addition of 2 extra teams has diluted the talent pool. This is obvious and should have been expected but we dont really talk about it. Another 5 years and this wont be an issue

2. Time taken to make an umpiring decision. In the quest to create a free flowing continual motion game, the umpires decided to give players longer to dispose of the ball, which, whilst reducing ballups, created a huge congestion issue.

If they went back to being quick and decisive with their decisions, the congestion wouldnt have time to form and the game would flow freely. A prime example of this is the holding the ball rule. The umpires hatch a bloody egg every time they make a decision, just give the free and move on.

Similarly for incorrect disposal, which seems to have disappeared as a free kick, but also allows rolling mauls to form.

1. more coaching analysis and more rule changes will stop that progress.

2. I don't agree. Instead what's happening is you see the stupid decisions where a guy wins the ball, goes to ground, three blokes pounce on him and they ping him for holding the ball when he's clearly got his arms free.

Arm chopping, push in the back which isn't a push in the back when you don't extend your arms, holding the ball, ridiculous 50m penalties, kicking in immediately after a point are all paid because they wanted to speed the game up. But what has it achieved.... more congestion.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL