The Final Round - Round 23

Talk on the national game

The Final Round - Round 23

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 am

This is it folks, one more week of tango lessons before the auditions start and we get the finalists organised for the big dance on the October long weekend. It’s turned out to be a bit of a ho-hum final round with the top 8 being set in stone, just some minor details to sort out with a home final up for grabs for a couple of sides who will finish 5th and 6th. A few dead rubbers to be played out too. Not even going to mention the AFL’s stance on players being “rested” for finals that can and will impact upon home finals....I thought the rule said you couldn’t do that? Been a piss week performance by the AFL over the last 48 hours, the rule they have in place is to ensure sides don’t do exactly what North Melbourne are doing, manipulate the make up of the finals for the purposes of gaining a perceived advantage. Can only hope they get knocked out in the first week, flirting with form is bad practice.

Richmond v North Melbourne

FNF kicks off with a not so dead rubber, but it kind of is now, 5th placed Richmond ( 56pts 121% ) take on the 8th placed Roos ( 52pts 109 % ). A win for the Tigers and they should stitch up 5th spot while a loss could see them drop to 7th and perhaps travel to play Adelaide in Adelaide. That’d be fun for Tigers fans, they loved last year’s Adelaide Oval finals experience.

The Roos meanwhile will want to keep winning form going, but a win might see them go to Adelaide to face the rampant Crows. Not really a very enticing proposition at the moment, as such, they’ve asked the AFL if it’s ok to go half arsed and the AFL said yep, sure, why not. Poor AFL, poor.

Both of these sides have had some solid late season form, both have had some bottom 8 opposition in recent weeks, but Richmond have beaten Hawthorn and North have beaten Fremantle in those runs. So, you while you can only beat who you’re playing, they’ve beaten some quality sides. As for only beating who you’re playing, the Tigers will beat the second string Kangaroos line up easily. By 48 points.

Geelong v Adelaide

Well it’s sayonara for some Cats legends, Kelly and Stokes have announced a farewell to the faithful at Cat Park, there might be another one or two announce the same before the game, the home fans will be cheering them off and cheering Paddy D in if all goes as most of us see it. Adelaide are set for finals footy, a win and a Roos win will see them finish 6th ( won’t happen with the Roos throwing the game tonight ) and an unlikely Bulldogs loss to Brisbane could have them as high as 5th. Either way they’ll play post season for the first time since 2012.

Geelong have got little to play for in terms of premiership aspirations, but they’ve got plenty to play for as far as pride goes. They let themselves down last Friday night against the Pies, they let Enright down early this year dropping his 300th to the Demons at home and they will not want to send out a group of retiring/sacked champions with a loss to end the year. They’ll be set for this one, question is, how long can they keep up the mental application in a game that’s got nothing on the end of it for them?

Adelaide, what can you say about them? Pretty much what I’ve said for about the last month, forward are on fire, backs are solid and the mids are winning plenty of ball as big Sauce taps in down their throats. They are the form team of the bottom half of the 8, they just pumped the Eagles ( who admittedly have been “up” for several weeks ) and look set to give the sides above them in the 8 something to look over their shoulder at. They’re in ripping nick, scoring heavily and their key big men all through the spine are the keys.

I think Adelaide will win this, win it comfortably, by 45 points.

Brisbane v Bulldogs

Last one out, please turn the lights off? It will be some cold, soulless corridors around the Lions over summer, with players already being told DCM, others saying they want to move and a handful yet to decide it’s not a happy place to be at the moment, they’ve still got a game to play and it’s a team on the rise, the Bullies. The Dogs are wanting an Adelaide win and a Kangas win would give them a home final against the Roos, a Tigers win and they’ll get Adelaide. The Roos game at the G or the Crows under the roof? With 11 wins from their last 13 under the roof, they’ll want to play there next week. ( Edit – The AFL has stated all finals will be at the MCG next weekend )

Not much can be said about this one, one factor will be the heat up in Brisbane, 23° Saturday and this one played at 2pm means the Dogs will be exposed to some early spring warmth. It might be something they look to manage with a trip home and a final to play the following week. The Lions will just be hoping enough of their blokes roll up to make a side up and get out on the park.

Can’t see this one having much heat in it, the Dogs will run the Lions off their feet early and take the foot off as they melt under the Brisbane sun. The Lions could get close late, if they’ve got their heads in the game and play it out. Bulldogs by 40+ with another wooden spoon in the Bears/Lions keeping.

Port Adelaide v Fremantle

Well, half of Fremantle anyway. Fair enough, they’ve got the right to rest players up, they’ve earned it by finished clear on top of the table. Port though have plenty of pressure on them, we don’t want to lose to a team voluntarily missing a third of their starting line up. Port will end the season most likely in Richmond, I mean 9th one game out the 8....only got themselves to blame for missing September action and it might be 7 wins from the last 8 for the Power.

Might not be quite as one sided as most punters think ( Port $1.11 Fremantle $6.75 ) as Fremantle might show it’s system over personnel and they will have half a dozen blokes gunning to keep their spot in the side. Most of them would have been told in this week out the next, but form gets rewarded and some of the last picked last week will be looking and the “ins” this week,wondering “Will he take my spot next week?”

With Port in good form, the Dockers resting heaps, the money should be in Ports favour. Twilight game so the wife shouldn’t expect much from me when I arrive home Saturday night / Sunday morning. Port to win the last one of a frustrating season by 30 points.

Hawthorn v Carlton

It’s another Hawks v Blues clash, the Hawks only ripped them a new one a month ago and the hapless Blues get to cop another dose of brown and gold running through them this week. Lucky them, they might be able to get a doctor’s note to get out of this one. In one box Clarkson will be plotting another assault on a premiership, in the other box John Barker will keep the seat warm from Brendan Bolton and Bolton will be looking at the Hawks line up thinking, how am I supposed to live without you? ;)

The Hawks have lost 2 of their last 5, Richmond and Port beating them in similar fashion. While they knew a top 4 spot was theirs they would have preferred a top 2 spot and all their finals at the G, instead, it’s off to Perth next week for them to face the Eagles. ( Unless the most shocking of upsets occur and St Kilda beat West Coast in Perth ). You can’t bet on this one, $1.01 for the Hawks and $18 for Carlton. That suggests someone might bet on the Blues, they really should be ”Not listed” in the betting market here.

The Hawks will fine tune themselves this week, winning by a lazy 70+ points as the Blues think about their Mad Monday outfits.

Sydney v Gold Coast

Sneaky little millionaires, aren’t they? With 4th spot theirs ( unless the Blues beat the Hawks....comedy gold that ) they are set to also head to Perth and face the Dockers in the first week as the boys on the Gold Coast settle in for some sunshine over the next month or so before getting smashed on the preseason training track.

Sydney have just slowly but surely built up their form over the last 8 weeks, a big win over the Saints last week, the same over GWS the week before with 20 goals on both occasions after beating the Pies. A little hiccup down at Geelong and a solid win over Adelaide before that has them just building nicely. They’ve been the sleepers of the competition all year and they’ll win this one comfortably and head to Perth very confident of matching it with the Dockers. Last time over there, way back in round 4 it was the Dockers by 14 points.

Sydney sure up 4th spot, winning by 39+ here.

West Coast v St Kilda

Not much to play for here for either side. In the very remote chance St Kilda upset the Eagles the Eagles could surrender second spot, but after last week’s hiding at Adelaide Oval the Eagles will appreciate some simulated match practice in this one, St Kilda on a hiding to nothing here. Although, being a Saturday night game they might get the red eye home to Melbourne and kick off Man Monday on board a virgin. Funny, that’s how Mad Mondays usually end.

We all expect West Coast to win big here, do their best to get back on track for the first final at home next weekend and the Saints will be just a minor bit player in this one. The Eagles by 60+

The final two Sunday games are both dead rubbers, neither of them have much interest in them at all, the only way you could make them interesting is to throw them in a big multi to try and pull some funds together for the next few weeks of frothies on the lounge.

GWS should account for Melbourne with ease, by 44 points in pretty much the least enticing match up of the round. Etihad will be a cold empty place on Sunday afternoon.

The last game of the minor round will be an empty MCG with the Bombers facing the Pies. The Pies bounced back into the winners circle last Friday night, the Cats suffered from the amount of run the Pies mids generated and they’ll do the same again this week, winning by 30 points.

For something different to wrap up the year I’m going a multi this weekend, the last few games of the year are hardly worth looking into so don’t just pick ‘em, back ‘em on footy punt!

Richmond 39+ / Adelaide 39+ / Port 25+ / Hawthorn 60+ / Sydney 39+ / West Coast 60+ ( I’ll post the odds later when I’ve put it on )

TTFWIW – Finals next week....good luck to those still in the hunt for a win in their footy tipping competitions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Re: The Final Round - Round 23

Postby Feenix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:11 am

Thread title should be the tanking round.

Thanks for all the write ups Booney
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby JK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am

Reckon the Cats can beat the Crows .. Need a few "ifs" to happen, but IF they all come out determined to amend for last weeks stinker and IF they are determined to give some champions a proper send off, they can beat a Crows outfit that tend to struggle at the Cattery.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:26 am

JK wrote:Reckon the Cats can beat the Crows .. Need a few "ifs" to happen, but IF they all come out determined to amend for last weeks stinker and IF they are determined to give some champions a proper send off, they can beat a Crows outfit that tend to struggle at the Cattery.

the geelong team right now is probably the worst team they have put on the park in the last 10 years, so I dot read too much into the fact that we have been poo down there. More a function of playing a great team at home.

Reckon the crows win it easy, with Danger getting a standing ovation at the end of the game
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Reckon the Cats can beat the Crows .. Need a few "ifs" to happen, but IF they all come out determined to amend for last weeks stinker and IF they are determined to give some champions a proper send off, they can beat a Crows outfit that tend to struggle at the Cattery.

the geelong team right now is probably the worst team they have put on the park in the last 10 years, so I dot read too much into the fact that we have been poo down there. More a function of playing a great team at home.

Reckon the crows win it easy, with Danger getting a standing ovation at the end of the game

Fair point, but the Geelong team that beat Sydney a few weeks back is certainly good enough to beat the Crows imho .. I take your point though, most if not all visiting teams would have a crap record at Kadinia Park in the last 10 years.

Still, form is temporary and class is permanent and the Cats have a few aging stars that are still well capable.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:44 am

The stats I looked at :

Clearances :
Avg -
Adelaide 41.7 ( 3rd ) Geelong 34.2 ( 18th )

Centre clearances
Avg -
Adelaide 14.2 ( 1st ) Geelong 12.1 ( 9th )

Winning quarters.

After half time Adelaide have won 25 quarters, Geelong 15. With Geelong playing on a fair bit of emotion this week, it might depend on how long it lasts. If by half time Adelaide are on top, they run away with it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Booney wrote:The stats I looked at :

Clearances :
Avg -
Adelaide 41.7 ( 3rd ) Geelong 34.2 ( 18th )

Centre clearances
Avg -
Adelaide 14.2 ( 1st ) Geelong 12.1 ( 9th )

Winning quarters.

After half time Adelaide have won 25 quarters, Geelong 15. With Geelong playing on a fair bit of emotion this week, it might depend on how long it lasts. If by half time Adelaide are on top, they run away with it.

Jacobs the key for sure. We don't have a ruckman and Sauce will smash us. You'll know inside five minutes if it's game on or not. The Cats haven't come out for the past couple of games and then halved the second half. Everyone is talking Crow but I still reckon they are frontrunners, especially away from home. However, if they don't beat us by at least five goals then this mob is not fair dinkum.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Richmond win tonight and I reckon Jacobs doesn't play.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:49 pm

5 favourites paying odds of $1.10 or less. Huge round coming up.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Geelong haven't played the Crows since Round 1 2014!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:Richmond win tonight and I reckon Jacobs doesn't play.

Yep. Riley obrien upgraded off the rookie list during the week too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Feenix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:

He’s not named as an emergency so wont be able to play
Feenix
Reserves

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Feenix wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

You can still play if you aren't named as an emg
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Feenix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Feenix wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

You can still play if you aren't named as an emg

Its a bit of a grey area as you cop a fine if you do it
Feenix
Reserves

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:37 pm

yeah thats true.

I think in this case they wouldnt name him as an emg because it basically forecasts sauce as being out.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm sure there will be a slight niggle to one of the emergencies in the captains run today
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 pm

General soreness will creep in I think.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby carey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:43 pm

saintal wrote:5 favourites paying odds of $1.10 or less. Huge round coming up.

I know it looks that way, But from a punting point of view I see it has a fair stab at Adel and GWS.

Sportsbet 5 leg Multis if one leg losses money back therefore I'll looking at the below bets-

Richmond, Hawks, Sydney, West Coast into Adelaide and
Richmond, Hawks, Sydney, West Coast into GWS

While yes I get the fact that if one of the first 4 loss my theory is F@#ked but I still think were getting a decent stab at the Crows and GWS with the security of our money back.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:48 pm

carey wrote:

I know it looks that way, But from a punting point of view I see it has a fair stab at Adel and GWS.

Sportsbet 5 leg Multis if one leg losses money back therefore I'll looking at the below bets-

While yes I get the fact that if one of the first 4 loss my theory is F@#ked but I still think were getting a decent stab at the Crows and GWS with the security of our money back.

$100 on all the faves returns $516. One stuff up and it's money back.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby carey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
carey wrote:

$100 on all the faves returns $516. One stuff up and it's money back.

Copy cat
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Next

Board index   Football  AFL