Hawthorn 2016

Talk on the national game

Hawthorn 2016

Postby MatteeG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:54 am

Fresh off the 3 peat, no Rough for the first half season.

2016- Fourthorn or Forget?

Should certainly see some newer faces more regularly. Heatherley or Brand possibly to take Lake's spot. The Shoe to continue up forward, Hartung to make a spot his own. Howe to get some more games.

O'Brien or Sicily need to grab a spot, or they will be seen as trade bait come the year's end.

I'd also personally like to see what Duryea can do in the midfield.

Go you hawks.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: Hawthorn 2016

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Hawks should be slowing down given the age of Hodge, Mitchell etc, but i cant see it happening. The challengers just dont look ready yet.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:28 pm

The most important part of the puzzle is still in place - Clarkson.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm

MatteeG wrote:Fresh off the 3 peat, no Rough for the first half season.

2016- Fourthorn or Forget?

Should certainly see some newer faces more regularly. Heatherley or Brand possibly to take Lake's spot. The Shoe to continue up forward, Hartung to make a spot his own. Howe to get some more games.

O'Brien or Sicily need to grab a spot, or they will be seen as trade bait come the year's end.

I'd also personally like to see what Duryea can do in the midfield.

Go you hawks.

Some good calls there MatteeG.....I'd like to see Spang back in the mix as a key back...Duryea as a mid with plenty of experienced support is a good call.

Fourthorn or not, we will still have the other clubs worried. Strap yourselves in for another season of footy!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Give them the flag now and start cricket season already.
Between us getting reamed by 100 every week and the Hawks winning their fourth in a row it's time to pack up and move to Siberia[emoji1]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:Give them the flag now and start cricket season already.
Between us getting reamed by 100 every week and the Hawks winning their fourth in a row it's time to pack up and move to Siberia[emoji1]

Wasn't the last cricket season punishment enough?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm

An underwhelming performance yesterday but hats off to a red hot cats outfit who were primed for this one.

Thought Mitchell, Langford and Gunston looked good. Duryea and Birchall were either not fit or in need of the run. Lewis continually burnt the footy, and a lot of the younger blokes second guessed themselves. Shoe totally monstered by Henderson and Sicily did very little too. Didnt help we kept bombing high and long in the first half.

Thought Pittonet battled hard against probably one of the more formidable ruck combos around at moment.

Hodgey out for a few is a sour taste, hopefully get Shiels back this week, and some other guys strip fitter for the run.

We'll need it against a motivated WCE. Think we may need Brand in to take Darling and hopefully Cegs is fit.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:34 pm

MatteeG wrote:An underwhelming performance yesterday but hats off to a red hot cats outfit who were primed for this one.

Thought Mitchell, Langford and Gunston looked good. Duryea and Birchall were either not fit or in need of the run. Lewis continually burnt the footy, and a lot of the younger blokes second guessed themselves. Shoe totally monstered by Henderson and Sicily did very little too. Didnt help we kept bombing high and long in the first half.

Thought Pittonet battled hard against probably one of the more formidable ruck combos around at moment.

Hodgey out for a few is a sour taste, hopefully get Shiels back this week, and some other guys strip fitter for the run.

We'll need it against a motivated WCE. Think we may need Brand in to take Darling and hopefully Cegs is fit.

Shoe will have to go, he hasnt touched it in 4 games now, really struggling with the best key defender on him. We will struggle up forward against the better teams and unfortunately we play them early without Rough.
Langford looks to be back to the form of late 2014. Thought O'Rourke showed something and Hartung was ok.
Smith struggled and we tend to struggle if we arnt getting anything from our wings (Smith and Hill are our barometers imo)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:38 pm

MatteeG wrote:An underwhelming performance yesterday but hats off to a red hot cats outfit who were primed for this one.

Brand had 27 possessions and 11 intercept marks at full back on Sunday. Hopefully he gets a run in the seniors soon.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:25 am

Hoping for a MatteeG game wrap from round 2 some time soon......

Good to see the game plan come back together after being totally taken apart by the cats in round 1.

Really enjoyed the game from Sicily..... of the younger blokes coming in, he seems to have found his feet, and "belief" that he fits at this level. O'Rourke for mine still has a little way to go.

One interesting move from the WCE coaching box was to put a bloke on Cyril this game.....maybe they watched the GF replay and thought his game deserved having someone start near him, in his general area on the ground....Genius - held him to 4 rather than 5 goals.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Well that was better.

Much better intensity by all- Lewis, Smith, Duryea all much improved this week.

The skills started pretty scratchy but cleaned up as the game went on.

Really happy for the new Brigade. Langers got a heap of it, Litherland looked composed, Hartung had his best game yet. Howe looked comfortable although he didnt get a heap. Really good signs from Sicily, started to back his judgement and play his natural game. A few harsh judges on some other footy pages noted he had a squib moment or 2 last week, but no such thing this week. Keep em all in!

Mitchell and Gibson superb. Your 3 and 2 vote getters right there for Brownlow votes. Reckon Gunston was very good too, worked hard up and down the field. Rucks did well, once again showing up Nic Nat. Frawley excellent down back too.

...and how good was it seeing Gibbo finally get his first goal for the hawks! Crowd really roared that one home!

WCE were pretty flat it has to be said. Due to us? Possibly, but they rarely looked in the game.

Really impressed, looking forward to this week against the doggies. They own Etihad at moment, be good to see how we cope with a quick deck and a quick team.

Shiels possibly back, no idea who comes out. May be a raffle drawn at selection this week.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:56 pm

How do you reckon they'll go this week against the doggies?

Dogs have shown great structure in defence and the hawks don't seem to have the same penetration they once had, your pace is out injured or underdone and it will be on the unfamiliar Etihad...

Being a doggies man I'm in love with Bevo and his style, the players have kicked on from last year and seem to be loving their footy and playing very well. Shapes up as a cracker!
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:37 am

nuggety goodness wrote:How do you reckon they'll go this week against the doggies?

Dogs have shown great structure in defence and the hawks don't seem to have the same penetration they once had, your pace is out injured or underdone and it will be on the unfamiliar Etihad...

Being a doggies man I'm in love with Bevo and his style, the players have kicked on from last year and seem to be loving their footy and playing very well. Shapes up as a cracker!

Reckon the Dogs will be lucky to get within 10 goals, we will show them exactly how far they have to go. Not convinced by their backline yet, reckon we can score very freely against them
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

nuggety goodness wrote:How do you reckon they'll go this week against the doggies?

Looking forward to the game NG..... be a good test for both clubs. My pre season prediction was the Hawks would have a slow start to the season.... I saw us as potentially 0-3. After the Geelong game, it was shaping up that way! Impressive how quickly that turned that "form" around.

I have been impressed by the Dogs, last season & the way they have got out of the blocks this year. Some targets up forward, and a better than handy group in the mid field. My question mark is your tall backs, we are missing Roughy, he would IMO stretch your depth in that area. Your boys should start as deserving favourites, and they are indeed the Etihad kings. I am hoping we get the 4pts, but would not be surprised if you get the chocolates at all. Your mid field pace could well expose us.... hope I am wrong!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:52 am

Corona Man wrote:

Looking forward to the game NG..... be a good test for both clubs. My pre season prediction was the Hawks would have a slow start to the season.... I saw us as potentially 0-3. After the Geelong game, it was shaping up that way! Impressive how quickly that turned that "form" around.

I have been impressed by the Dogs, last season & the way they have got out of the blocks this year. Some targets up forward, and a better than handy group in the mid field. My question mark is your tall backs, we are missing Roughy, he would IMO stretch your depth in that area. Your boys should start as deserving favourites, and they are indeed the Etihad kings. I am hoping we get the 4pts, but would not be surprised if you get the chocolates at all. Your mid field pace could well expose us.... hope I am wrong!

Yeah i was looking forward to trotting out 0 and fourthorn?!? Alas it is not to be... and even then you have Carlton after us so that was never going to happen.

Our tall backs have always been a worry, adams has been amazing in his first two, morris plays tall when needed and wood has continued his fantastic intercept marking, we have hamling and roberts but no-one that really stands out. Our press has been great albeit against relatively weak attacks. Roughie out helps us with Shoe being your tall fwd and your fleet of mediums and smalls helps us but the issue is going to be our forwards and mids pressuring the ball carrier so your entrys aren't quality.

If we can turn the footy over then we'll run you ragged in transition.

I reckon the hawks are favourites with the bookies but it could go either way. As you said, a good test for both sides.
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Note to Western Bulldogs - don't let Gibson run around loose in the backline all day and you can win the game. We put that spud Kersten into a restraining role and even this limited player did the job and helped the Cats get the chocolate. If Beveridge is as smart as he is generally given credit for then I expect him to put someone onto Gibson and make it tougher for the Hawks to set up their game.

If you can't beat the Hawks with no Hodge or Roughead on the Ethiad racing track in April then you won't be beating them at the G in September. Massive game and can't wait to see this one.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

Cracking game yesterday, and one that I thought we would drop. Reckon the Hawks just had the poise when it was needed. The doggies will gain plenty from that though. Expect them to be looking forward to having another crack at us. Bad news for Murphy, it looked bad straight away when he grabbed for the knee. Looking forward to a MatteeG wrap. Saints next week in Tassie, season starting to take shape.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:50 am

Corona Man wrote:Cracking game yesterday, and one that I thought we would drop. Reckon the Hawks just had the poise when it was needed. The doggies will gain plenty from that though. Expect them to be looking forward to having another crack at us. Bad news for Murphy, it looked bad straight away when he grabbed for the knee. Looking forward to a MatteeG wrap. Saints next week in Tassie, season starting to take shape.

As i said elsewhere mate, if they cant beat us at Ethiad with Hodge and Roughy out they wont get near us come September.
Do we play them again before the finals, I doubt it?
Really think we will play Sydney in October
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:58 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Cracking game yesterday, and one that I thought we would drop. Reckon the Hawks just had the poise when it was needed. The doggies will gain plenty from that though. Expect them to be looking forward to having another crack at us. Bad news for Murphy, it looked bad straight away when he grabbed for the knee. Looking forward to a MatteeG wrap. Saints next week in Tassie, season starting to take shape.

As i said elsewhere mate, if they cant beat us at Ethiad with Hodge and Roughy out they wont get near us come September.
Do we play them again before the finals, I doubt it?
Really think we will play Sydney in October

I agree with you comments daysofourlives - we don't play them in home & away, but we just might in September. In terms of October, and not getting too far ahead, I agree - Sydney, on what we have seen so far. A few injuries to say Luke Parker, will change that.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 pm

My social media accounts were full of Razor Ray memes from this game...did he have a shocker?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL