Where to for Glenelg

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Where to for Glenelg

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 pm

There has been discussion on other threads but it deserves its own thread.

Renowned for being a club that has underachieved , where to now ? A decent supporter base but has deserted them when needed again.

A 9 club competition can get the comp back to a 23 round season which gets rid of this huge gap between games. Glenelg have great crowds when winning but , like the Port of old, drop quickly when not winning.

South are reasonably financially viable but I dont think they can sustain their position. West are the same . I think these clubs may end up merging or die. No doubt some West fans may ( are there any here ?) disagree as well the South fans . I think relocating Glenelg down South is good. Southern Tigers . I think West and the Eagles may have some issues next.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Where to for Glenelg

Postby blueandwhite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:08 pm

the bays and south to merge?????
will lose one member I know of at least!
whilst south arent travelling all that flash financially Im pretty sure it would never happen... perhaps it would if they played at hickinbotham oval wore blueandwhite and were called the south adelaide panthers it may have a slight chance... :D
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 pm

Southern Tigers name already taken by the Premier League basketball team.

Noarlunga City Tigers perhaps? ;)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby The Apostle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 am

South Coast Tigers or South Coast Panthers...
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby JohnnyG » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:33 am

Why would South merge with Glenelg (or why would any real SANFL clubs merge)? - that would leave only 7 clubs in the SANFL.
There is no reason that the SANFL cannot continue with the 8 clubs with appropriate restructuring of the competition and salary caps etc etc
It doesn't have to be (nor can it be) the competition that it was in the past. It only needs 8 clubs vying for a premiership and operate like other suburban competitions.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby UK Fan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:46 am

Bays need to sack Chiggy immediately if they want to Improve
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Panther Pack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:58 pm

South will never merge with the Bays!!!!

You can take our lives but you will never take our Club!!!!!!

Can't wait to smash the bays on Good Friday nothing gets a 4 day weekend off to a better start!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Give Glenelg the chance to turn it's situation around, hopefully when the time comes they can rejuvenate the board with some new blood. Talk of mergers is knee-jerk nonsense. The only way the comp can survive and remain relevant is to maintain the traditional clubs and work to get them financially stable in the long run.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby on the rails » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:
South are reasonably financially viable but I dont think they can sustain their position. West are the same

Really you should investigate the facts before making incorrect sweeping statements. South have had major finance issues over past couple of years and West is in a horrible position also.

Most clubs these days post their Annual Reports on their webistes so it's not that difficult to read the bottom line although the financial reports hard hard work to read in detail!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:36 pm

I am happy to be corrected but don't confuse losses with a decent financial position before you make comment.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Magellan wrote:Give Glenelg the chance to turn it's situation around, hopefully when the time comes they can rejuvenate the board with some new blood. Talk of mergers is knee-jerk nonsense. The only way the comp can survive and remain relevant is to maintain the traditional clubs and work to get them financially stable in the long run.

3 million. So if they rejuvenate the board that is admittance of their failure. Can't see that happening, the Snouts would not have a part of that .

Last clubs involved with ,Merger talks were South, Sturt and North in some manner. I'd call them traditional clubs. So why is it different now ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:43 pm

The lack of Glenelg fans posting is concerning. Such a well supported club when winning , yet nothing on here in adverse times. Shame.

A traditional SANFL club potentially falls over and their supporters are not rallying at all. These sites attract the most passionate but not much left from the bays it seems.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby whufc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:The lack of Glenelg fans posting is concerning. Such a well supported club when winning , yet nothing on here in adverse times. Shame.

A traditional SANFL club potentially falls over and their supporters are not rallying at all. These sites attract the most passionate but not much left from the bays it seems.

The afl reserves sides killed the passion for a lot of people
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:34 pm

So they all stopped caring about their club ? I will keep saying it..............get behind your club or it will die.

I think that is a convenient argument now. Ask Glenelg if they want to get rid of them ? Think the 50 k is OK right now.

Where are Dedja and the other mouthy ones ? Gordon still here ? The Councillor wannabe ? Ecky ? Dutchy ? Am Bays / Bayman? The list goes on. Very vocal at one stage but not now.

Seems like a bit more than the AFL reserves team being included in. Poor management and an apathetic supporter base.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby am Bays » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:12 pm

FFS , You just proved my point. Problem is there is more like you .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby am Bays » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Yep , well you're out. Remember when glenelg fans supported their club ? Remember when they didn't bag their own? .. Nope.
Remember when they abandoned their club cos they were not very competitive again ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:So they all stopped caring about their club ? I will keep saying it..............get behind your club or it will die.

I think that is a convenient argument now. Ask Glenelg if they want to get rid of them ? Think the 50 k is OK right now.

Where are Dedja and the other mouthy ones ? Gordon still here ? The Councillor wannabe ? Ecky ? Dutchy ? Am Bays / Bayman? The list goes on. Very vocal at one stage but not now.

Seems like a bit more than the AFL reserves team being included in. Poor management and an apathetic supporter base.

Yes, I stopped going to games once we supported the reserves came in.

Members weren't given a choice at the information night, we were told what was going to happen.
If there was more consultation about the situation and everything properly explained about the decision for YES, than perhaps it would be a little easier to digest.

Management decisions have been a little bewildering to me in the past, but I always supported the club believing the people in charge knew best....... :roll:

so yes after going most weeks for the best part of 25yrs, through the bad times and the occasional good ones, I jumped off the bandwagon heading into this new competition that they are now in.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby on the rails » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 pm

Bounceoftheball - do you actually know these blokes from Glenelg - i assume not???

Dedja is in a position at the club that procludes him from commenting on public forums so again you shoot your big mouth off without fact and Gordon won the Club Person / Volunteer of the Year for the GFC and some of the others you also mention do alot to support and assist their club beyond what the normal member / supporter does.

Just because they don't post on these forums as much as previous years (and that applies to many of us who support other clubs) doesn't mean they don't care and are not doing their bit to help their club.

My advice to you is go buy a broom and rid yourself of sweeping statements - mind you that seems to be your only skill!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL