Geelong 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Geelong 2016

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Shit year Hawkins. 56 goals with no free kicks and two blokes hanging off him all year. The problem is gameplan, gameplan, gameplan.

regards,

REB

Change of coach would be the best offseason trade the club could make.
His style is rubbish and he is too pig headed to do anything about it. Lost count of the ammount of times he said we will stick to our plan because our best will beat anyone. The Swans whacked you twice Scotty in case you didnt notice

Scotty isn't the worst, but he is a long way from the best as well. He comes up with a plan for the year. And sticks fast. He and the Match Committee come up with a structure for the year. And stick fast. Scott very rarely changes things up and Geelong present a very predictable tactical approach for each match. This only works when you have a coach who approaches the same problem the same way (e.g. Pyke) or the opposition just doesn't have the cattle to counteract.

Sometimes our matchups work well almost by accident. Scott has a very good record against Beverage because our structure works well against teams that float the ball into their half forward line allowing our talls to take intercept marks. However, guys like Buckley have got the drop on him and other teams spent the year waltzing through the Collingwood zone while we got poleaxed.

I'm convinced they spent the off season analysing the best and trying to overcome that. What was forgotten though was that the Hawks wouldn't have Lake or Hale and the loss of Roughead made things worse for them. Meanwhile other teams such as St Kilda, GWS and Bulldogs are more likely to be the teams of the future and Geelong looked to be looking at the past, or at best the present. There seemed to be a lack of foresight even though there was no lack of planning or effort made in improving.

The recruiters kicked a goal last Summer but the Match Committee allowed the quick reply. Losing Thurlow hurt because Geelong do not have many players of this type. Consistently playing tall, slow and old defenders worked ok on some grounds and some opponents, but during too many matches it was blatantly obvious that this was not a winning tactic that at least needed some modifications, that is, one less tall in the backline? But who could we bring in? With Thurlow down what Geelong need is an additional running defender.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Feenix » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Feenix wrote:
hawks21 wrote:Does Bartel (contracted) and Enright go on next year? Motlop a chance to leave they reckon as well, do the Cats do a kangaroos and go for Delideo/wells type or try and get back into the draft?

Enright should go on but looking at him after the game who knows what he wants to do. I would love for him to go again.

Bartel im torn about looked good middle of the year but just seems really slow now. He did contribute on Friday night so you cant knock him for that. Toss a coin really

Motlop is cooked, trade him for sure.

If we look at a Wells or Deledio we are really playing for next season and killing our development. So unless we can get either of them for next to nothing (not gonna happen) I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Motlop is a great footballer who would kick arse at the Bulldogs. He relies on space but we move the ball so slowly that by the time he gets it he has nowhere to run as all he sees is forest of opposition players. As long as we have Scott we can't have Motlop unless he suddenly brings in a gameplan that involves a bit more run, rather than the possession game he has tried to implement this season. He's basically trying to copy Clarko. Our whole list and gameplan appeared to be 'get over the Hawks' and we win the flag. It's about two years too late for that.

Motlop isn't cooked, but with our game plan, he's cooked at Geelong.

regards,

REB

Well if I had the choice between trading Motlop or Scott I would go with Scott but we both know that wont happen
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Yes Nix, I think you're right. Can't see Scotty winning another flag. We simply can't top up again. We need to trade Motlop for a decent draft pick if we can. Either that or Scott pulls his head out of his arse, plays the younger blokes and starts actually making moves on match day other than Taylor to the forward line. Even in the Prelim. An underdone Hendo at Half Forward. Might as well have played Kersten at least we would have had a bit more mobility. Not Hendo's fault of course but he was underdone and played out of position. Kersten will walk and rightly so.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Don't write Jimmy off, he's looking great! :lol:

FB_IMG_1475035137087.jpg
FB_IMG_1475035137087.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Haha, fair play Jimmy
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Yes Nix, I think you're right. Can't see Scotty winning another flag. We simply can't top up again. We need to trade Motlop for a decent draft pick if we can. Either that or Scott pulls his head out of his arse, plays the younger blokes and starts actually making moves on match day other than Taylor to the forward line. Even in the Prelim. An underdone Hendo at Half Forward. Might as well have played Kersten at least we would have had a bit more mobility. Not Hendo's fault of course but he was underdone and played out of position. Kersten will walk and rightly so.

regards,

REB

Him and another player might get you a decent draft pick, but him alone, na...not possible (I wouldn't think - but then I don't think like some teams and their recruiting!)
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:58 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Shit year Hawkins. 56 goals with no free kicks and two blokes hanging off him all year. The problem is gameplan, gameplan, gameplan.

regards,

REB

I'm genuinely not sure whether you're disagreeing with my assertion Hawkins didn't have a great year or agreeing with my other comment that he played a lone hand. I'm sure you'd agree that Geelong and Hawkins would be confident of having a bigger impact next year.

Rik E Boy wrote:I'm convinced there is no seller's regrets about Johnson at the club. With some Cat fans though it was a different matter. I was more pissed off about Chapman TBH.

regards,

REB

Whilst you make a number of good points regarding Johnson, I can't imagine they would have let him go had they thought he had a 43 goal season in him at another club. Even if he kicks 30 goals, would have been 4th best for the cats behind Hawkins, Motlop (38) and Menzel (33). As it ended up, Dangerfield was 4th with 24 goals, which I think highlights the point.

Of course, the whole season for Geelong came down to the prelim. They did enough to earn that right, regardless of what possible improvement might have come during the regular season. But that last game, their forward line production was woeful. Goalkicking aside (which Johnson might not necessarily have helped), 72 inside 50s for 20 scoring shots compared to 40 inside 50s for 22 scoring shots. That's where that game was decided IMHO and Steve Johnson, I have no doubt, would have been able to take some advantage of the supply.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:23 pm

The supply has been ordinary all year.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Grahaml wrote:

regards,

REB

I'm genuinely not sure whether you're disagreeing with my assertion Hawkins didn't have a great year or agreeing with my other comment that he played a lone hand. I'm sure you'd agree that Geelong and Hawkins would be confident of having a bigger impact next year.

Rik E Boy wrote:I'm convinced there is no seller's regrets about Johnson at the club. With some Cat fans though it was a different matter. I was more pissed off about Chapman TBH.

regards,

REB

Whilst you make a number of good points regarding Johnson, I can't imagine they would have let him go had they thought he had a 43 goal season in him at another club. Even if he kicks 30 goals, would have been 4th best for the cats behind Hawkins, Motlop (38) and Menzel (33). As it ended up, Dangerfield was 4th with 24 goals, which I think highlights the point.

Of course, the whole season for Geelong came down to the prelim. They did enough to earn that right, regardless of what possible improvement might have come during the regular season. But that last game, their forward line production was woeful. Goalkicking aside (which Johnson might not necessarily have helped), 72 inside 50s for 20 scoring shots compared to 40 inside 50s for 22 scoring shots. That's where that game was decided IMHO and Steve Johnson, I have no doubt, would have been able to take some advantage of the supply.

No way does Johnson score 43 goals if he played at Geelong this year. Just no way. Not with the way we move the ball. The Giants open up space with their run and this gives him time to do his thing. If Johnson plays we get no development from McCarthy and Menzel would also be hindered. Ifs and buts to be sure but we are too old and we have to manage this. Like I said, it was more than just football I think. As for the supply, quantity is not quality and Johnson, at this stage of his career, needs quality and he got that at the Giants.

As for Hawkins, I might have been a bit defensive there and it wasn't necessarily directed at you specifically. I've read a lot of crap about Hawkins this year (again, not you specifically) and you'd think he'd kicked 30 goals this year and not 50. Because he's a big lug he does not get free kicks. Because of our slow buildups he resorts to wrestling in the goalsquare or up front. IMO any forward who tries this is DOOMED. Even Gary Ablett Snr couldn't do it. The strongest full forwards I have seen are Dunstall and Lockett. They got the majority of their goals by leading and when Tom does this he looks a million dollars.

With out wet cement buildup all of our forwards are on a hiding to nothing as the numbers you quoted would probably suggest. Hawkins didn't have a great year, yes, I'd agree, but 56 goals is a fair return considering some of the factors I have mentioned. Greater output from Geelong and Hawkins? That's pretty much up to Scott.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Geelong have a new apparel sponsor in Cotton On, and have launched the sleeved rugby style top they'll be using in the NAB next year, and possibly for a home and away game.

I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:24 pm

I didnt think theyd want to go back to pre 2007!
We have a new no 1, didn't think anyone could beat all of our offerings but Geelong have smashed it. Always trying to go one better than the Hawks, they've nailed it
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm

That smells.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:26 pm

RustyCage wrote:Geelong have a new apparel sponsor in Cotton On, and have launched the sleeved rugby style top they'll be using in the NAB next year, and possibly for a home and away game.

ewww
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I thought it was another Wacky Wednesday pic.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby RustyCage » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Trying to work out what's worse, the sleeves or that big "G" on the front
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:21 pm

RustyCage wrote:Trying to work out what's worse, the sleeves or that big "G" on the front

You'll be a while.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:40 pm

RustyCage wrote:Trying to work out what's worse, the sleeves or that big "G" on the front

What a pity Dennis has retired from commentary. When a Geelong player takes a chest mark I can hear him saying "it hit him right on the G spot".
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MatteeG » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Cotton On?! Seriously? How long until Freo get kitted up by Supre or Witchery??
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:45 pm

I like the idea of sleeved tops (aka the International Rules, Hawks , etc) but the white thing with a G is pretty awful.
Could have been worse than Cotton On. Joyrene :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Don't mind it.
Just wish we would get rid of the silly cat we have for the logo
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL