MRP

Talk on the national game

MRP

Postby carey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm just totally confused on the gradings and rulings. In my eyes there were at least 3 maybe even 4 hits/bumps far worse than Hawkings who gets a week yet these blokes got nothing :-?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Re: MRP

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:49 pm

carey wrote:I'm just totally confused on the gradings and rulings. In my eyes there were at least 3 maybe even 4 hits/bumps far worse than Hawkings who gets a week yet these blokes got nothing :-?

I would have been confused if there was consistency.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby On The Chest » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 am

carey wrote:I'm just totally confused on the gradings and rulings. In my eyes there were at least 3 maybe even 4 hits/bumps far worse than Hawkings who gets a week yet these blokes got nothing :-?

Exactly what I was thinking. No wonder there is so much debate on this each week.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:21 am

They seemed to have it about right for a while there, then they gave Hawkins 2 weeks ( > 1 ) for his little chin tap and Bernie Vince ( with a bad record this year ) gets a fine for a head high bump on Parker, so, WTF again MRP?

It seems like different people do the job every Monday. Do the AFL just get a few people from the office to look at the footage and work it out over a coffee?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:19 am

Hard to see how Hawkins gets games and Firrito get's nothing for a few of his jumperies last Friday night. Doesn't make sense to suspend the bloke that can actually play the game.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:24 am

Firrito, he really is a spud, isn't he? Laughed my head off when Breust nails a goal right on 3/4 time to make it just over a goal and North needed two to get in front.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 am

Booney wrote:Firrito, he really is a spud, isn't he? Laughed my head off when Breust nails a goal right on 3/4 time to make it just over a goal and North needed two to get in front.

By all reports Bruest was wearing a set of "depends" by that time as well, fair effort.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:38 am

Booney wrote:Firrito, he really is a spud, isn't he? Laughed my head off when Breust nails a goal right on 3/4 time to make it just over a goal and North needed two to get in front.

I see what you did there
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I think the MRP has actually been consistent with these two. Hawkins punched a guy in the chin, the intent was there and it wasn't a footy action it was a blatant punch. Vince tucks his arm in attempted to bump and due to circumstances outside of his actions got him high. Vince didn't jump or raise an elbow he just didn't plan on Parker moving which is where his infringement lied by not taking due care.

Hawkins punching a guy in the chin, regardless of how hard it was, has only one intention to hurt/rattle the guy. It isn't something that has ever legally been in football and while you might say he barely hit him the intent was there. If Davis moves in a way Hawkins wasn't expecting and the punch breaks his jaw would you all be still saying he didn't deserve a week or more?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:I think the MRP has actually been consistent with these two. Hawkins punched a guy in the chin, the intent was there and it wasn't a footy action it was a blatant punch. Vince tucks his arm in attempted to bump and due to circumstances outside of his actions got him high. Vince didn't jump or raise an elbow he just didn't plan on Parker moving which is where his infringement lied by not taking due care.

Hawkins punching a guy in the chin, regardless of how hard it was, has only one intention to hurt/rattle the guy. It isn't something that has ever legally been in football and while you might say he barely hit him the intent was there. If Davis moves in a way Hawkins wasn't expecting and the punch breaks his jaw would you all be still saying he didn't deserve a week or more?

Regardless of how hard it was. Never heard of the term 'insufficient force'? Vince elected to bump and got the guy high. You couldn't be more wrong in saying this is consistent.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Hawkins punching a guy in the chin, regardless of how hard it was, has only one intention to hurt/rattle the guy. It isn't something that has ever legally been in football and while you might say he barely hit him the intent was there. If Davis moves in a way Hawkins wasn't expecting and the punch breaks his jaw would you all be still saying he didn't deserve a week or more?

Reckon Firrito forgot to grab the jumper the other night and gave a similar one to Smith (as Hawkins did), although Smith didn't play it up as much for a free (don't blame Davis for that, was the sensible thing to do). So more questioning the consistency between those two.

I thought Hawkins was just careless with his, reprimand would have done for mine.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:I think the MRP has actually been consistent with these two. Hawkins punched a guy in the chin, the intent was there and it wasn't a footy action it was a blatant punch. Vince tucks his arm in attempted to bump and due to circumstances outside of his actions got him high. Vince didn't jump or raise an elbow he just didn't plan on Parker moving which is where his infringement lied by not taking due care.

You choose to bump and get the head = games (usually).
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Regardless of how hard it was. Never heard of the term 'insufficient force'? Vince elected to bump and got the guy high. You couldn't be more wrong in saying this is consistent.

regards,

REB

End result has nothing to do with intent. Bernie was trying to bump Parker legally in the play and carelessly hit him in the head, Hawkins only intent was to hit him in the head in an off the ball situation. If you look back at things that are graded reckless, careless, intentional then I would think this is pretty consistent.

Whether you agree with it or not is another matter.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

End result has nothing to do with intent. Bernie was trying to bump Parker legally in the play and carelessly hit him in the head, Hawkins only intent was to hit him in the head in an off the ball situation. If you look back at things that are graded reckless, careless, intentional then I would think this is pretty consistent.

Tried to bump legally but "carelessly got him high". Good, we do agree.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

I would've thought Vince and Ziebell would've both got a game at least judging on previous bumps over the past 12 months.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I would've thought Vince and Ziebell would've both got a game at least judging on previous bumps over the past 12 months.

And you would have had a few riding that with you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I would've thought Vince and Ziebell would've both got a game at least judging on previous bumps over the past 12 months.

And you would have had a few riding that with you.

Both have history's of being a little careless. I thought Ziebell's was plain rude.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Booney wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Tried to bump legally but "carelessly got him high". Good, we do agree.

Which I said from the start. You are completely ignoring the intent which is part of the grading and provides the guidelines for the penalties.

In regards to Hawkins, Nathan Burke explained as soon as he made intentional contact to the head with a closed fist the MRP had no choice but to give him 2 weeks down to one. They don't make the guidelines just review the incidents and apply them.

As someone said a better comparison would be Ziebell and Vince as they were both careless rather than intentional. I think Ziebell got lucky that an argument could be made he collected him across the upper chest, otherwise he'd have been looking at a week or two off as well.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Ziebell has been royally shafted previously by the MRP/Tribunal, about time he had one go his way.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Spargo wrote:Ziebell has been royally shafted previously by the MRP/Tribunal, about time he had one go his way.

Careful mate, you might cop a fine for that. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL