Kids Eating Habits

Anything!

Kids Eating Habits

Postby JK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Does or did, anyone here have any trouble with their kids being bad or fussy eaters?

My eldest is excellent, if anything eats too much, but he can pack away food of good substance.

For my youngest though, if it isn't hot chips or Sausages he won't eat it, and obviously we're not letting him have those things too often. He's about to turn 6 and has always been this way, if anything getting worse. Anyone else been through similar that might have any suggestions?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Kids Eating Habits

Postby therisingblues » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Hmmmmm...... hot chips and sausages....... Yummmmmm. =P~
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 am

therisingblues wrote:Hmmmmm...... hot chips and sausages....... Yummmmmm. =P~

At least the kid has good taste
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby carey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am

JK wrote:Does or did, anyone here have any trouble with their kids being bad or fussy eaters?

My eldest is excellent, if anything eats too much, but he can pack away food of good substance.

For my youngest though, if it isn't hot chips or Sausages he won't eat it, and obviously we're not letting him have those things too often. He's about to turn 6 and has always been this way, if anything getting worse. Anyone else been through similar that might have any suggestions?

My youngest is the same. So the Mrs makes ravioli or spaghetti but in the sauce mince's up a heap of veggies so that way the little devil is at least getting the nutrients of veggies with out knowing!

My eldest wasn't a huge veggie eater but its simply blackmail with her, Don't eat some Veggies there is no desert simple as that. I gave the youngest ice cream with sprinkles for desert in front of her without letting her have any and sure enough the next night she ate some veggies. Simply start with 1 piece and progressively work up from there you'd be surprised how quick they'll start eating everything.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2811 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Jase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 am

We did the hide the vegies in the sauce trick for pasta and the like...

That being said if we made it sound gross like they were eating bug guts then they would eat it all...

My boys (13 & 11) love green mash mashed potato, broccoli and peas all mashed together with butter... looks green but tastes great... bthey wont eat broccoli or peas by themselves but mash together with potatoes and they cant get enough of it...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1485 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 am

Yep they have the answer, hide the veggies by mashing them into the food they are eating.
I was/am lucky, my three kids eat everything, including brussel sprouts!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2624 times
Been liked: 1858 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:11 am

carey wrote:My eldest wasn't a huge veggie eater but its simply blackmail with her, Don't eat some Veggies there is no desert simple as that. I gave the youngest ice cream with sprinkles for desert in front of her without letting her have any and sure enough the next night she ate some veggies. Simply start with 1 piece and progressively work up from there you'd be surprised how quick they'll start eating everything.

Spot on mate, this also works with both mine.
Reverse psychology goes a long way as well.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5507 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am

One of our youngest was fussy, I started originally by bribing her (I'll give you $1, no dessert if you don't eat etc.), then I just turned into a food nazi and said you get what you're given and you'll eat what's on your plate because mum worked hard to make it.

Wouldn't let the kids leave the table until it was eaten despite the tears, but would always praise them on their efforts and tell them I was proud etc.

Couple weeks of that and now all our kids are really good eaters despite the odd hiccup.
Last edited by The Bedge on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4023 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:39 am

Beware the grandparents though.
My in laws allow my nephew to eat anything for dinner, including chocolate and custard with 100s and 1000s. Developed very bad habits early on and now does not even eat lunch or dinner, just biscuits, custard and chocolate.
MW
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 am

My daughter is a pain in the arse when it comes to fussy eating and she's 18 and still at home. We cook what we want now and if she doesn't like it, she can stick it up her arse and get her own dinner.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Bum Crack wrote:My daughter is a pain in the arse when it comes to fussy eating and she's 18 and still at home. We cook what we want now and if she doesn't like it, she can stick it up her arse and get her own dinner.

Lol
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5507 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:03 am

MW wrote:Beware the grandparents though.
My in laws allow my nephew to eat anything for dinner.

Yep, we have the same - I don't understand it, surely when they were parents they wouldn't have condoned a diet like that, they should have the best interests of the child in mind not bloody keeping them happy :roll:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4023 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:03 am

Bum Crack wrote:My daughter is a pain in the arse when it comes to fussy eating and she's 18 and still at home. We cook what we want now and if she doesn't like it, she can stick it up her arse and get her own dinner.

Junior, just 20, hits us with "What's for dinner?"....up until a few months ago I'd tell him, then turn around to see him with Subway or some shit. Now when he asks "What's for dinner?" I say "Hang around long enough and you'll find out".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 am

It must be the youngest...ours is a little bit fussy too and is coming up six now.
Basically, we've always managed by putting a quotient on what she has to eat, there's no point fighting with her.
We don't let her fill her own plate too much, when we have meals where you serve yourself - she's less likely to eat much if there's a massive amount on her plate.
We let her eat until she starts complaining and then we tell her six more spoonfuls, or five, or whatever, depending on how much she's already eaten.
We tend not to penalise her, as she's stubborn and she gets her back up.
The other thing we do is find healthy options for the things she won't eat - for example, fruit - we let her eat fruit packs, fruit blends.
I'm figuring our kid isn't as fussy as yours, judging by your post, but these things help us.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am

You've cultivated a very self-sufficient form of recycling.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 am

Dogwatcher wrote:It must be the youngest...ours is a little bit fussy too and is coming up six now.
Basically, we've always managed by putting a quotient on what she has to eat, there's no point fighting with her.
We don't let her fill her own plate too much, when we have meals where you serve yourself - she's less likely to eat much if there's a massive amount on her plate.
We let her eat until she starts complaining and then we tell her six more spoonfuls, or five, or whatever, depending on how much she's already eaten.
We tend not to penalise her, as she's stubborn and she gets her back up.
The other thing we do is find healthy options for the things she won't eat - for example, fruit - we let her eat fruit packs, fruit blends.
I'm figuring our kid isn't as fussy as yours, judging by your post, but these things help us.

The hardest part, penalise and make it a daily event where you're both stressed or let it be and if they get hungry they get hungry.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am

correct. they won't starve.
MW
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:07 am

Some great feedback, thanks lads.

Unfortunately the length my lad goes to, to be difficult with food, is at a level I've never seen before, so have no familiarity with.

When all else fails and we're concerned he's not eating enough then we can get by with a vegemite sandwich, bowl of cereal, or plain rice/pasta. I'm a bit at my wits end, it's almost like we need to see a food psychologist or something lol.

Even on the odd occasion we spring for family pizza's he gets all excited, then maybe eats 5 pieces of Ham off it then he's done. We can't hide the Veggies in a Bolognese or the like because he just refuses to eat that kind of meal anyway.

The point about the Grandparents was a good one .. She's a great GM and being a Wog she's a brilliant cook, but whilst his brother eats all the hearty stuff, the little f***er's meals there consist of Ice Creams, Popcorn, Chips etc.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:19 am

I had one option as a kid, eat what is put in front of you or go hungry.....I never went hungry......but then I was never a real fussy eater. I put my foot down when tripe was dished up and also brains.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11886 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby carey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am

JK wrote:Some great feedback, thanks lads.

Unfortunately the length my lad goes to, to be difficult with food, is at a level I've never seen before, so have no familiarity with.

When all else fails and we're concerned he's not eating enough then we can get by with a vegemite sandwich, bowl of cereal, or plain rice/pasta. I'm a bit at my wits end, it's almost like we need to see a food psychologist or something lol.

Even on the odd occasion we spring for family pizza's he gets all excited, then maybe eats 5 pieces of Ham off it then he's done. We can't hide the Veggies in a Bolognese or the like because he just refuses to eat that kind of meal anyway.

The point about the Grandparents was a good one .. She's a great GM and being a Wog she's a brilliant cook, but whilst his brother eats all the hearty stuff, the little f***er's meals there consist of Ice Creams, Popcorn, Chips etc.

Sounds like it has to be good old fashion tough love mate. Eat this or go without....
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2811 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion