Discussion of the penultimate

Talk on the national game

Discussion of the penultimate

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 am

With just two minor rounds to go there isn’t any side in the top 8 who can, with any confidence, start planning for week one of the finals as far as travel, accommodation or opponents go. There’s a few top 8 v top 8 clashes to come and a couple this week are very important to the makeup of the top 2, the teams who get the decided advantage come week 2 and 3 of the finals series.

West Coast v Hawthorn –

They looked toothless away from home until Nic Nat pulled out a ripper last weekend at the 39:26 minute mark of the last quarter. The Eagles looked cooked several weeks ago after some average performances on the road but have won 7 of their last 8 including wins over North and the Giants. Not the worst form of the sides in the bottom half of the 8.

The Hawks got back to business after their standard late season loss that has all the scribes questioning their old, slow legs. In reply to that they come out of the blocks with 8.4 to quarter time, North ended up with 8.9 for the match. Short grass, sunshine and Smith and Hill get the skates on.

A month ago this one was a fait accompli, the Hawks go west and win it easy, won’t perhaps be quite so easy as first thought but I still expect them to go west and secure top spot with a win over the Eagles. With the Hawks percentage 6th best they need to make sure they stay top to avoid any travel in September. The way they responded last week shows they are primed for the business end of the season.

Big week for Nic Nat who can jump all over the Hawks big men and a big week for Darling and Kennedy who need to make Gibson accountable and play on a man. The Hawks, finally a FNF fixture to keep us awake past the 5th lager. Hawthorn by 14 points.

North v Sydney –

Two more top 8 combatants go head to head with one looking to stay in the 8 (still!) and the other looking to keep 2nd spot on the ladder and the home ground advantage in the finals. North still not assured of post season action, Sydney thinking top spot is still in their sights.

North were ambushed by Hawthorn last week, no Brown and Thompson didn’t help and their likely inclusion for this one in Tassie could be crucial. They’ve really dried up in the front half since Waite went down mid season and Brown is the most likely to get a bag to help them get to a winning score. In their last 9 games they are down to 76 points per game ( was 100 in the first 12 rounds ).They concede more than any of the top 8 sides in defence, usually because the midfield struggles to go both directions at pace.
They actually only go at pace when they’re on a Virgin going interstate, other than that they’re plodding.

Sydney on the other hand are flying in the guts and have barely noticed Tippet missing from the line up. His imminent return simply strengthens the team most people see as the one to beat, or at least the one most likely to challenge the Hawks mantle as the best team in the competition. With their only hiccup being the loss to GWS in round 12 by 42 points ( their other 4 losses total 20 points ) they have been as consistent as anyone. Something North are not.

Swans have won 10 of the last 13 over North, North have won 8 straight on the apple isle, not losing since early ’13, to the Swans. Sydney by 21 points. Franklin winding up for some big ones.

Richmond v St Kilda –

Richmond. :lol: Keep the list together, keep the coach, keep being Richmond, please. St Kilda faced Sydney, a genuine contender, came up short but no issues there as the Saints continue to head in the right direction.

A few Tigers playing for their careers, one would think, but that is only if one thinks Richmond will make wholesale changes to “the best list I’ve ever had at my disposal” ( Dimma, 2016 ). So I guess it’s just a pay rise / pay cut they’re looking at.

St Kilda, on the back of a fleet of blokes all around the 20-24 age bracket are building a list Richardson can work with. With talk of “free money” for a “free agent” in the next 12-18 months land one big fish and the side could leap up the ladder, quickly. Tom Hickey, working hard and getting rewards.

St Kilda, by 21 points.

GWS v Fremantle –

Clowns. Losses to Collingwood and West Coast at home have cost me considerable funds as I felt the Giants were set to finish top of the tree. Win those two and they would be top. Should have thought about the reason they wear orange, it screams “DANGER” in every other industry.

Fremantle. Closed up shop. Giving super Pav the week off so he can play his 353rd and final game at home. Needs one major to notch up 700. ( For measure, Lockett kicked 1360 in 281! ).

Giants will bury them. 88 points.

Collingwood v Gold Coast –

Collingwood battled on against the Bulldogs last Friday night, made a game of it and could have, maybe should have, won it. Scores level at ¾ time it was some Bontempelli class that got the Dogs over the line. Is he the next big thing in football? I think he might be.

Gold Coast did what only the fickle Gold Coast can do, went to Melbourne and lost to Essendon. 5 unanswered goals either side of half time too much for the Suns to get back.

Collingwood should. But really, who knows? Collingwood by 19 points.

Port v Adelaide –

Like front row seats at a Taylor Swift concert this looks like it will be an extremely painful experience. My eyes, my ears, my very being will be rattled by the 2 ½ hours ahead of me on Saturday night.

But one thing I’ll never be accused of is being a fair-weather supporter and I’ll be there load and proud with my teams colours across my chest. Will make **** all difference as the Adelaide side is skilful across the back half, organised in defence and attack, the most potent offensive side in the league, will welcome back Jacobs who makes a bitch of Lobbe every time they face off with each other and Port’s under manned back half will have to deal with the spinning top that is Adelaide’s forward line. Adelaide are in a different foot balling landscape to Port right at the moment.

Talia, somehow not mentioned alongside Rance as the best backman in the league will have little to worry about with Port big men in the forward half struggling with supply from the midfield that can’t truly be described without bursting open the swear filters of every ones IT department. Sitting rock bottom last for disposal efficiency at just 70.6% ( comp average 73.4% Adelaide 73% ) the Powers midfield is giving the forwards no chance of setting the scoreboard alight. The back half, with Hombsch, Trengove ( on a tour of duty ) and Jonas missing is led in the big man department by 16 gamer Tom Clurey with it likely 10 gamer Logan Austin will miss with a hamstring. Walker, Lynch, Jenkins, McGovern, Betts, they’ll all sleep well Friday night knowing shit won’t get real on Saturday night.

It’s season over for Port and it’s just getting started for Adelaide who look like top 4 is a certainty and top 2 might still be on the cards if they can win with some decent numbers in the wet on Saturday night. With the forecast ( say it in Tony Greig voice in your head ) for 14° and showers the score board attendants might be able to keep the hands warm in the mittens more than they would have if it was a fine day. Adelaide with 70 goals in the last 3 weeks against the competition easy beats and at the moment, Port are that. With no Wingard or Dixon up front and likely no Austin down back Port are there for the taking.

Adelaide to keep their streak going, by 55 points. Can only hope Port put up some resistance, not fight, we never win the fights. Carn the pear.

Carlton v Melbourne –

Carlton lost to Brisbane, Melbourne beat Port, Melbourne going for the lofty heights of 4 wins on the trot. Melbourne by 36 points.

Brisbane v Geelong –

Brisbane with a rare taste of victory, might have kept Leppa in the job for at least another two weeks, but, facing some stern opposition in the Cats this one won’t be worth watching. Geelong by 44 points.

Essendon v Bulldogs –

Sunday twilight and this one will be a better spectacle than a couple of the others over the weekend. Essendon at least have a crack even if well under manned, the Bulldogs limping into the last couple of weeks of the season are still capable of matching the top sides with some genuine start power in the middle led by the Bont. One of those opposition players you’d love in your side and one who looks like he’ll be admired by all lovers of the game.

Bulldogs, by 31 points.
Last edited by Booney on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Re: Discussion of the penultimate

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:27 am

Trailing by 3 in the footy tips
Hawks to win out in the wild west
Swans 30+
St kilda to bounce back after crashing to earth against Swans last week and Richmond will still be lamenting the one that got away
GWS should win easily
Collingwood to win in a match of no interest
Crows to win and continue the charge for September glory
Melbourne going for 4 in a row......4 in a row, unchartered territory....should win
Cats by who knows
Dogs should get the cash and some confidence towards finals
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:30 am

Booney's Showdown preview.

:D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby The Jack » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Not sure about the "measure" of Pavlich against Lockett, considering Pav's played a lot of footy in defence and the middle, but anyway... :?
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Grahaml » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 am

The Jack wrote:Not sure about the "measure" of Pavlich against Lockett, considering Pav's played a lot of footy in defence and the middle, but anyway... :?

Wouldn't be many All Australian full backs ahead of him in the goalkicking list.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:25 am

The Jack wrote:Not sure about the "measure" of Pavlich against Lockett, considering Pav's played a lot of footy in defence and the middle, but anyway... :?

Wasn't a measure, was just highlighting how good Plugger was AND how good Pavlich is considering he played full back and midfield in his time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 am

Surprised everyone is picking the Hawks tonight.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 am

Wedgie wrote:Surprised everyone is picking the Hawks tonight.

The punters aren't :

West Coast $1.76
Hawthorn $2.10

Line 4.5
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:03 am

Booney wrote:

The punters aren't :

West Coast $1.76
Hawthorn $2.10

Line 4.5

I know. I'm with the punters. Toss of the coin game with a leaning towards the home team.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:07 am

The leader in the footy tips will go all favs, I'm just hoping the Hawks best players are carrying whistles....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:09 am

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

The punters aren't :

West Coast $1.76
Hawthorn $2.10

Line 4.5

I know. I'm with the punters. Toss of the coin game with a leaning towards the home team.

They did pick Lewis Jetta though..... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:29 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

The punters aren't :

West Coast $1.76
Hawthorn $2.10

Line 4.5

They did pick Lewis Jetta though..... ;)

Why would West Coast be tanking?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The leader in the footy tips will go all favs, I'm just hoping the Hawks best players are carrying whistles....

it will be interesting to see how the umps go tonight... I reckon they will be very confused... will their love for the hawks be overshadowed for their love for the eagles at home...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The leader in the footy tips will go all favs, I'm just hoping the Hawks best players are carrying whistles....

it will be interesting to see how the umps go tonight... I reckon they will be very confused... will their love for the hawks be overshadowed for their love for the eagles at home...

I think the Eagles will be fine as they will have Dean Margetts in their corner.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

They will be as clueless as Port during 119.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:25 pm

The round looks fairly straight forward from a tipping perspective, which of course means there is an upset or two in the offing..... Any suggestions on the odd roughie?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Corona Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Not sure about that one MT79. I reckon Tex Walker makes a whistling sounds when he runs flat out with those big flappers... sounds like an old Kingswood coming down the road at 80kph.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Corona Man wrote:The round looks fairly straight forward from a tipping perspective, which of course means there is an upset or two in the offing..... Any suggestions on the odd roughie?

Hopefully one is your mob, if you can call it an upset.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Corona Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:43 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:The round looks fairly straight forward from a tipping perspective, which of course means there is an upset or two in the offing..... Any suggestions on the odd roughie?

Hopefully one is your mob, if you can call it an upset.

Yep I am taking the Hawks....
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:14 pm

$3.60 15.5+ ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach