How do i answer this

Anything!

Re: How do i answer this

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:56 am

Booney wrote:When it seems the objective is to integrate

White people tried that through various means for a couple of hundred years, thank goodness we're well past those terrible days and it is NO longer the objective.
It's not about integrating, it's about evening the gap that exists.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'd basically answer it by saying its a small counter in trying to bridge the disadvantage indigenous children face in the education system (and life) and that hopefully measures such as this and others (scholarships, etc) will help bring kids closer to a level playing field in regard to school attendance, drop out rates, education, etc.
It's a complex issue but one worth discussing with children if you have the appropriate knowledge and understanding.

At the end of the day, kids will not understand why others get more advantages than them when they do the wrong thing and get rewarded just because they are indigenous. IMO it breeds a dislike into the kids towards them which ironically is what everyone is trying to stamp out.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:08 pm

MW wrote:At the end of the day, kids will not understand why others get more advantages than them when they do the wrong thing and get rewarded just because they are indigenous. IMO it breeds a dislike into the kids towards them which ironically is what everyone is trying to stamp out.

And kids will also not understand how underprivileged some other kids are in different homes until it's explained to them properly and they're made aware.

Simple things that most take for granted like a good breakfast, healthy diet, fresh new clothes and shoes, stable family life.. these are things most people give no second thought to.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:10 pm

MW wrote:IMO it breeds a dislike into the kids towards them which ironically is what everyone is trying to stamp out.

It's a lack of educating and understanding - or a want to understand, compounded with "values" instilled at home that breeds a dislike
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:12 pm

MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'd basically answer it by saying its a small counter in trying to bridge the disadvantage indigenous children face in the education system (and life) and that hopefully measures such as this and others (scholarships, etc) will help bring kids closer to a level playing field in regard to school attendance, drop out rates, education, etc.
It's a complex issue but one worth discussing with children if you have the appropriate knowledge and understanding.

At the end of the day, kids will not understand why others get more advantages than them when they do the wrong thing and get rewarded just because they are indigenous. IMO it breeds a dislike into the kids towards them which ironically is what everyone is trying to stamp out.

You underestimate kids IMHO , I think if explained correctly they will understand, I have no doubts my kids would have.
The biggest stumbling block would be with parents who have pre conceived, ignorant ideals, they wouldn't be able to explain it properly but let's hope they're a dying breed.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
helicopterking wrote:This happened at my High School in the country.
I never understood it then and when students used to ask, teachers ignored it or couldn't answer it.
Indigenous kids used to turn up 20min late to 40min classes, teacher would ask them to sit down, Then the kid would yell at the teacher,claim the teacher was 'after them'

So no other kids ever turned up late or yelled at the teacher?
At my school it was the opposite with only non indigenous children being the problem children, same at my kids schools.
I suppose the lesson of the story is we shouldn't tarnish all people with the same brush.

Only the indigenous kids got to go straight to this room after abusing the teacher. If any other kids did the same thing,they got sent to the deputy principals office and were put on progress books,sent back to class, and the book needed to be checked off by the teacher at the end of every lesson for 3 weeks. A failed progress book would earn a suspension from school. 2 suspensions would warrant Expulsion.

So the answer to my question was "No"? Cheers, your post needed clarification as it was misleading.

where was it misleading? stop looking for a fight for a change
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:
beef wrote:The main issue i have with my kids school is the rewarding of "naughty" kids. They dont do any work cause havoc but when they do the right thing they are rewarded with certificates/free time what ever. Whereas my kids and other kids do the right thing every day and never get anything.

I would assume it would be one of several interventions created to try and counter the disadvantages indigenous children face to try and help even up stats for school attendance, education levels, etc.

yeah and in doing so breeds the next gen of racists and black v white, that really works well
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:17 pm

MW wrote:

EXACTLY THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:21 pm

stamps wrote:where was it misleading? stop looking for a fight for a change

Your post wasn't misleading mate, I quoted and referred to helicopterkings post. :?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:23 pm

stampy wrote:
MW wrote:

EXACTLY THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR

Educate them mate, kids are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for, help them to grow up educated not full of misplaced and ignorant hatred, there's too many of those people in this world already. Don't give them the answer you're looking for, give them the correct well educated answer and try and help improve them as people.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:

You underestimate kids IMHO , I think if explained correctly they will understand, I have no doubts my kids would have.
The biggest stumbling block would be with parents who have pre conceived, ignorant ideals, they wouldn't be able to explain it properly but let's hope they're a dying breed.

I agree with you to an extent but children do not develop rationale skills until they are much older right? I mean when they argue over who gets to push the button on a lift, have a shower first or sit in the bloody front seat, I am not sure they will understand topics like the one we are talking about.
MW
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not saying try to explain it to them when they're 2 MW! But when they're at Primary School they should be bright enough to understand the concepts if explained well.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm not saying try to explain it to them when they're 2 MW! But when they're at Primary School they should be bright enough to understand the concepts if explained well.

:lol: Yeah I understand mate
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Kids are far more respectful these days than certainly when I was a kid. Generally I find its the parents that need the education
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:48 pm

so i should tell my lad that its one rule for white people and another for the indigenous people?? and i should also pretend that i agree with all this tripe like a lot of misguided people are??

My 18yr old went thru the same thing at high school, the indigenous children had a special area only for them which they could go to at any time, they turn up late for class, no question would be asked, listen to music thru their earphones in class, refuse to stand for the anthem, basically be as disrespectful as the liked cos hey were allowed to get away with it, no explanation was ever offered and teachers wouldnt answer students questions about the different treatment you get depending on your colour
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm

stampy wrote:so i should tell my lad that its one rule for white people and another for the indigenous people?? and i should also pretend that i agree with all this tripe like a lot of misguided people are??

My 18yr old went thru the same thing at high school, the indigenous children had a special area only for them which they could go to at any time, they turn up late for class, no question would be asked, listen to music thru their earphones in class, refuse to stand for the anthem, basically be as disrespectful as the liked cos hey were allowed to get away with it, no explanation was ever offered and teachers wouldnt answer students questions about the different treatment you get depending on your colour

I'm not sure why you're so upset about what your 18yo went through last year - even if all that is true, I think you're forgetting some of the most important aspects of life - need to finish school to get a job.. need to finish school well to get tertiary education which leads to a better job..

Let the indigenous lads turn up late, let them sit there listening to music etc - end of the day, they'll finish school and be poorly educated and qualified and end up working for your son... perhaps invest your time in making sure your kid stays focussed on what he needs to do instead of being upset about what happens with other kids.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:53 pm

stampy wrote:so i should tell my lad that its one rule for white people and another for the indigenous people?? and i should also pretend that i agree with all this tripe like a lot of misguided people are??

Are you actually being fair dinkum or fishing for a bite here? :? :shock:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Just tell them the truth like has already been mentioned. It's one of several measure implemented to try and bridge the gap because indigenous people are so disadvantaged in our society.
Don't just leave it as "there's one rule for white people and another for indigenous people"!
Leaving it at that would mean we may have even more ignorant rednecks in the world! That's the last thing any good parent would want for their children!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:55 pm

Wedgie are you indigenous?

(Genuine question with nothing extra attached, just wondered)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:When it seems the objective is to integrate

White people tried that through various means for a couple of hundred years, thank goodness we're well past those terrible days and it is NO longer the objective.
It's not about integrating, it's about evening the gap that exists.

In attempting to reduce the gap, non indigenous people need to get a better understanding of indigenous culture, how can this happen when a figurative wall ( and in some cases an actual wall ) is built between children, the ones who are the future ( teach them well and let them lead the way ) and the ones who are best placed to learn without preconceived ideas?

I think creating these divides perpetuates the "us and them" attitude that, sadly, uneducated parents are instilling in their children at home.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion