Promotion and Relegation

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Promotion and Relegation

Postby Dols » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:35 pm

It's been a long time since the promotion and relegation methodology has been changed. Current system has been around for as long as I can remember. Lately it seems the SAAFL just does what it wants anyway.

I have a thought that there should be a reward for finishing as Minor Premiers, similar to the English Premier League.

Minor Premier should be promoted as should the premiership winner. If they are the same then the runner up would be promoted.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Promotion and Relegation

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Have another beer Dols ;)
Nah not a bad idea........maybe North Haven will get to Div 3 this way. :D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dols » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:58 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Have another beer Dols ;)
Nah not a bad idea........maybe North Haven will get to Div 3 this way. :D
was actually thinking about a couple of clubs this year, but yes havens would have benefited from this policy in previous years[emoji106]

Dols
Reserves

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

IIRC this was proposed by the Portland rep only a couple of years ago and i think the the board actively supported the motion however the clubs kyboshed it.

From what I understand it is still on the wish list of the league and they’ve proposed/supported it twice in the last 5 or 6 years or thereabouts

Maybe get your delegate to propose it again rather than wasting it on here. Better still, why don’t you turn up at the meeting and argue for it yourself. ;) 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:44 pm

The turf cricket have that system in place but I've always thought it's an odd way to do it. Twice I've played in a cricket side that has been promoted even though we didn't make the GF, it feels weird.

I'm happy with the 2 GF sides being promoted.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dols » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Maybe get your delegate to propose it again rather than wasting it on here. Better still, why don’t you turn up at the meeting and argue for it yourself. ;) 8)

Putting my views out there as a supporter of the league to encourage discussion. (Smartarse)[emoji23]

Dols
Reserves

Postby jo172 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:04 pm

I like the Grand Finalists being promoted.

There's a great feeling in coming from fourth, straight setting the minor premier and gently reminding them they'll be stuck in division x next year
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Suri wrote:The turf cricket have that system in place but I've always thought it's an odd way to do it. Twice I've played in a cricket side that has been promoted even though we didn't make the GF, it feels weird.

I'm happy with the 2 GF sides being promoted.

I think cricket is a bit different, the top side is generally the most committed and has their best players available the most, this is needed when going up a grade. Not just being the best side when everyone is available at finals time. No point going up if your team lacks commitment to play each week.
Footy in general has more commitment, you might be hit by injuries during the season and finish 3rd 4th or 5th but still be the best team and the best equipped team to go up when everyone is on the park. The sides that handle the pressure of finals the best are better equipped too play the higher level
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:05 am

Footy Chick wrote:IIRC this was proposed by the Portland rep only a couple of years ago and i think the the board actively supported the motion however the clubs kyboshed it.

From what I understand it is still on the wish list of the league and they’ve proposed/supported it twice in the last 5 or 6 years or thereabouts

Correct FC
Greg Hamilton from Portland proposed it and the various options were fully explored by the SAAFL staff (including Greg) and the information given back to the clubs to vote on and they decided to keep the current system.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:50 am

Dols wrote:It's been a long time since the promotion and relegation methodology has been changed. Current system has been around for as long as I can remember. Lately it seems the SAAFL just does what it wants anyway.

I have a thought that there should be a reward for finishing as Minor Premiers, similar to the English Premier League.

Minor Premier should be promoted as should the premiership winner. If they are the same then the runner up would be promoted.

Thoughts?

If you end up minor premiers and can't make the GF you don't deserve to go up!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:57 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:IIRC this was proposed by the Portland rep only a couple of years ago and i think the the board actively supported the motion however the clubs kyboshed it.

Correct FC
Greg Hamilton from Portland proposed it and the various options were fully explored by the SAAFL staff (including Greg) and the information given back to the clubs to vote on and they decided to keep the current system.

I thought Portland proposed only 1 team up/down
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby BigB » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:00 am

I personally like the two up two down system as it is. No one sets out to be minor premiers alone.. the goal is the flag. If a team got to minor premier and then said "OK, we're promoted, let forfiet the major round", would that be an achievement? Getting to a GF should be rewarded, whether you win it or not.
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:10 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Correct FC

I thought Portland proposed only 1 team up/down

I meant a review of the current system
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby marbles » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Send 3 up

Send 3 down

Make it exciting less dormant
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Minor premier and the next highest finisher at the end of the season to be promoted. I agree with dols. Need to better reward excellence for 18 weeks.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:13 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Minor premier and the next highest finisher at the end of the season to be promoted. I agree with dols. Need to better reward excellence for 18 weeks.

You get the first week of in the finals! That's enough until they make the GF
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Ditchy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:46 pm

it aint broken so dont bloody touch it. Grand finalists go up in each grade
Ditchy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Dols » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:51 am

Ditchy wrote:it aint broken so dont bloody touch it. Grand finalists go up in each grade
try telling that to Eastern Park

Dols
Reserves

Postby morell » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:04 am

For every unlucky minor premier that missed out on promotion you would get a "lucky" minor premier as well.

Plenty of minor premiers over the years who have had only % difference and been found out in finals.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Trader » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:26 pm

The comparisons to Turf Cricket aren't really valid.
In turf cricket they have a straight semi-final then GF set up.
Minor premiers often miss the GF on the basis of losing a toss and getting sent in on a wet deck in the semi final.

Footy is different, the minor premier needs to stuff up twice not to make the GF.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League