2018 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 am

beef wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Too many suffer from softcockitis these days.

Same as all the tough blokes in the old days who would play with concussion, wonder if they have any long term side effects. Doctors might be over cautious these days but doesn't make the players soft cocks

Johnny Platten would say hi, that's if he remembered.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am

bennymacca wrote:
beef wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Too many suffer from softcockitis these days.

Same as all the tough blokes in the old days who would play with concussion, wonder if they have any long term side effects. Doctors might be over cautious these days but doesn't make the players soft cocks

go watch the Johnny platten open mike as proof that the doctors aren't over cautious with concussions

very sad actually

Oops, just read this.

I used to be pretty close to the Platten family and knew Johnny well, I've bumped into him a few times in the past 12 months and it takes him a couple of minutes to register where he knew me from.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 am

bennymacca wrote:

I think the intent of the "fairest" provision would have been to stop players winning it after "dirty" acts. knocking a bloke out from behind probably only got you 2-3 weeks back in the day. a suspension for something that happened in play would have almost been unheard of.

these days suspensions have moved on, I think players should remain eligible for lower level offences. maybe if you get 3 or more weeks you are ruled out but what Fyfe did was pretty minor. even though I can see why he was suspended, I don't think it should rule him out of the Brownlow

Wow, what's happening with us? Do you long long walks on the beach? ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I think the intent of the "fairest" provision would have been to stop players winning it after "dirty" acts. knocking a bloke out from behind probably only got you 2-3 weeks back in the day. a suspension for something that happened in play would have almost been unheard of.

these days suspensions have moved on, I think players should remain eligible for lower level offences. maybe if you get 3 or more weeks you are ruled out but what Fyfe did was pretty minor. even though I can see why he was suspended, I don't think it should rule him out of the Brownlow

Wow, what's happening with us? Do you long long walks on the beach? ;)

Nah doesn't like the feel of sand between his toes :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:27 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I used to be pretty close to the Platten family and knew Johnny well, I've bumped into him a few times in the past 12 months and it takes him a couple of minutes to register where he knew me from.

he was the a grade coach at freeling for a couple of years whilst I was hacking around in the B grade. thought he was a great bloke. not much of a coach though, was definitely one of those guys that couldn't quite articulate why he was so good at what he did.

called everyone big fella, which I thought was just because he was tiny but from hearing about his concussion issues it was more likely that he just forgot everyone's names. which is sad as hell.

Lightning McQueen wrote:Wow, what's happening with us? Do you long long walks on the beach?

:-*
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Why do we need to have suspensions at all?
Yeah still have them for non football related incidents i.e king hits, dirty play etc but for all the football related ones just have a fine system. Lets face it no one this year should be missing games for the offences they have been suspended for. None of this years incidents wouldve even been looked at 15 years ago. Time to move with the times, suspensions only hurt the fans ( and SC players)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 am

daysofourlives wrote:Why do we need to have suspensions at all?
Yeah still have them for non football related incidents i.e king hits, dirty play etc but for all the football related ones just have a fine system. Lets face it no one this year should be missing games for the offences they have been suspended for. None of this years incidents wouldve even been looked at 15 years ago. Time to move with the times, suspensions only hurt the fans ( and SC players)

Yep, a week off to heal the niggles isn't as much as a deterrent as taxing the wallet.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Why do we need to have suspensions at all?

Yep, a week off to heal the niggles isn't as much as a deterrent as taxing the wallet.

Really? These blokes are on $300-400k++++ and the AFLPA has a hand in what the maximum fine can be ( $10,000 from memory - $5000 now and $5000 suspended ), that's not a deterrent at all.

Having said that, I think some of the things players cop games for now is ridiculous.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am

Booney wrote:
Having said that, I think some of the things players cop games for now is ridiculous.

Absolutely, Fyfe's one was laughable, Nic Nat's. I seen the exact same tackle on the weekend and there were no repercussions.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 pm

:-?
Attachments
Free kick West Coast.jpg
Free kick West Coast.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Free kick Hawthorn. LOL.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Don't let Wubsy see this, he'll be spewing!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm

No real surprise there. Half of them were against us in the 2016 GF.

2005 -97
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:No real surprise there. Half of them were against us in the 2016 GF.

2005 -97

Oh well, if you're undisciplined you pay the price.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 pm

TRADE NEWS

The Sydney Swans has leapt up in the race to lure restricted free agent Jeremy McGovern at season’s end.

Foxfooty.com.au has been told the Swans have a strong desire to bring McGovern to the Harbour City to bolster their defensive stocks and believe they can afford him.

McGovern, who has indicated his preference to remain at the Eagles, put off his contract talks until the end of the season early last month, but those close to him speak of his tight relationship with West Coast coach Adam Simpson and love of the club.

The Swans are also firming in their pursuit of Darcy Moore, who is out of contract at Collingwood at the end of the year.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 am

It's impossible to believe there's two teams below Gold Coast and St Kilda on the ladder. They are both putrid.

Gold Coast, where to for that club? The AFL is up to their balls with around $200m pumped into the failing franchise and the bloody minded chiefs at AFL house won't pull out* of this one any time soon. If they had some aggots they'd pull the pin on them and have a Tassie Devils side up and running in 2020.

St Kilda, going backwards fast.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am

Booney wrote:It's impossible to believe there's two teams below Gold Coast and St Kilda on the ladder. They are both putrid.

Gold Coast, where to for that club? The AFL is up to their balls with around $200m pumped into the failing franchise and the bloody minded chiefs at AFL house won't pull out* of this one any time soon. If they had some aggots they'd pull the pin on them and have a Tassie Devils side up and running in 2020.

Suns aren’t going anywhere. The AFL is hell bent on destroying NRL and participation numbers playing Aussie rules on the Gold Coast has gone through the roof since the Suns were admitted. I did hear Cochrane on SEN this morning say they need more picks and financial help though
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:It's impossible to believe there's two teams below Gold Coast and St Kilda on the ladder. They are both putrid.

Suns aren’t going anywhere. The AFL is hell bent on destroying NRL and participation numbers playing Aussie rules on the Gold Coast has gone through the roof since the Suns were admitted. I did hear Cochrane on SEN this morning say they need more picks and financial help though

More picks and more money? :lol:

Lynch playing like a man who has already got a Collingwood jumper on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

More picks and more money? :lol:

Lynch playing like a man who has already got a Collingwood jumper on.

Yeah he had a good old sook about the Victorian media trying to kill the club and then said it’s his long term aim to get the Suns successful but it is many years away and will require more picks and money
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:11 am

Jim05 wrote:

Yup, Suns are here to stay with a population base in SEQ of over 4 million, the Gold coast, and to a lesser extent Brisbane exist purely for TV rights and sponsorship exposure for the AFL and the other 16 souless AFL franchises. Same with GWS .

The population (read potential market ) for both the Gold Coast and Western Sydney is 1.5 times that of Adelaide alone.

What sh!ts me is money from the game of Australian football will be taken to prop up these franchise while real footy i.e the SANFL, WAFL and Tasmanian leagues and Country footy get left to wither and potentially die.

GAGF AFL
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL