Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am

Bit of a ( Kenny Calendar voice ) lack luster affair at the MCG on Saturday in front of a disappointing crowd of just over 26,000.

The Blues fans are being asked to be patient with their rebuild, they're not. Well, if they are they're being patient somewhere else and for much of the game it looked like the Port Adelaide boys wanted to be somewhere else, too. If that wasn't a side going through the motions for the 4 points I don't know what is and I for one didn't like it. I liked the 4 points, but I wasn't thrilled with the display.

Again the back half held sway by holding our zone high and not allowing the opposition F50 entries. Only allowed 38 for the day despite the Blues having 380 disposals, as much a reflection on their inept forward structure as it was our dour defence.

The Blue were always going to come out fired up for Simpsons 300th, they haven't got much else to play for in reality and they jumped us early with 5 straight to 3.6 and while we were well on top in general play it was Curnow with 3 in the first quarter and Port's inaccuracy in front of goal that had them in front at 1/4 time. More convincing 5 goal to 2 second quarter and the game is in Port's hands and looked like a matter of how far from here. Not so.

That attitude I mentioned above festered at half time and the bottom placed Blues kept us scoreless in the third quarter and breathed a bit of life into the contest, ultimately only some light entertainment for the Blues who went along and more of a blight on Port's attitude than Carlton's abilities. Simply not good enough for 30 minutes after the main break and I hope the review this morning focuses on that period and it's made clear that's not acceptable.

A 5 goal last term with some Wingard magic thrown in for good measure and some scoreboard reward for Dixon who had an "almost day". Dixon could have had 4 or 5, a snap from the boundary touched on the line by Jones (who despite losing the one-on-one with Gray was good for Carlton), a snap from the top of the square bouncing the wrong way, a missed set shot and one going through truly. Kept competing and giving us a target which was required as Marshall looked lost out on the G and with just 5 touches his spot might be under some pressure.

Again the win was on the back of the dominance of our deep midfield led by Wingard, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper and a defence led by Houston ( who has been much better the last two weeks ) and Hombsch while evergreen Westhoff had another quality outing this season and is playing the best footy of his career. Depth the key in the midfield group for Port, Wines, Ebert, Boak and Polec relatively quiet.

Special mention to Jack Trengove, he was solid across half back in his first PAFC AFL match, was pleased to see him get a chance and take it with both hands. He was solid with 21 touches at 81% D/E and looks like he might stay in if the Pittard corky/hamstring keeps him out. Given his recent history, I think it will.

All in all a fairly ordinary affair with the bottom placed side dragging us down a peg or two and our attitude not being ruthless enough on the day meaning all we take out of that contest was a trip to the G and the 4 points.

Boons best - Wingard, Westhoff, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Trengove, Hombsch

Back home for the bubbly Saints who won their second on the trot on the weekend. Twilight *hiccup* Saturday.

Having watched most of the Magpies game yesterday I'm not sure DBJ earns an instant recall and I think Watts perhaps has done enough to earn another game at AFL level after 2 pretty solid outings against Sturt and Norwood given Marshall's quiet fortnight.

In - Jonas, Watts ( DBJ maybe )
Out - Pittard, Marshall ( Trengove in a hard call maybe )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:30 am

I only managed to listen to the game on my way back form umpiring, it sounded like the equivalent of the TV test pattern.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Bloody annoyed that I missed the discussion tonight on AA re Port.

I was busy blinking.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 pm

valleys07 wrote:Bloody annoyed that I missed the discussion tonight on AA re Port.

I was busy blinking.

Yeah they had their cocks out over the last qu vs WCE and wanted to get onto it ASAP didn't they...thought that might have pissed off a few Port people.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby goddy11 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 am

Booney wrote:Bit of a ( Kenny Calendar voice ) lack luster affair at the MCG on Saturday in front of a disappointing crowd of just over 26,000.

The Blues fans are being asked to be patient with their rebuild, they're not. Well, if they are they're being patient somewhere else and for much of the game it looked like the Port Adelaide boys wanted to be somewhere else, too. If that wasn't a side going through the motions for the 4 points I don't know what is and I for one didn't like it. I liked the 4 points, but I wasn't thrilled with the display.

Again the back half held sway by holding our zone high and not allowing the opposition F50 entries. Only allowed 38 for the day despite the Blues having 380 disposals, as much a reflection on their inept forward structure as it was our dour defence.

The Blue were always going to come out fired up for Simpsons 300th, they haven't got much else to play for in reality and they jumped us early with 5 straight to 3.6 and while we were well on top in general play it was Curnow with 3 in the first quarter and Port's inaccuracy in front of goal that had them in front at 1/4 time. More convincing 5 goal to 2 second quarter and the game is in Port's hands and looked like a matter of how far from here. Not so.

That attitude I mentioned above festered at half time and the bottom placed Blues kept us scoreless in the third quarter and breathed a bit of life into the contest, ultimately only some light entertainment for the Blues who went along and more of a blight on Port's attitude than Carlton's abilities. Simply not good enough for 30 minutes after the main break and I hope the review this morning focuses on that period and it's made clear that's not acceptable.

A 5 goal last term with some Wingard magic thrown in for good measure and some scoreboard reward for Dixon who had an "almost day". Dixon could have had 4 or 5, a snap from the boundary touched on the line by Jones (who despite losing the one-on-one with Gray was good for Carlton), a snap from the top of the square bouncing the wrong way, a missed set shot and one going through truly. Kept competing and giving us a target which was required as Marshall looked lost out on the G and with just 5 touches his spot might be under some pressure.

Again the win was on the back of the dominance of our deep midfield led by Wingard, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper and a defence led by Houston ( who has been much better the last two weeks ) and Hombsch while evergreen Westhoff had another quality outing this season and is playing the best footy of his career. Depth the key in the midfield group for Port, Wines, Ebert, Boak and Polec relatively quiet.

Special mention to Jack Trengove, he was solid across half back in his first PAFC AFL match, was pleased to see him get a chance and take it with both hands. He was solid with 21 touches at 81% D/E and looks like he might stay in if the Pittard corky/hamstring keeps him out. Given his recent history, I think it will.

All in all a fairly ordinary affair with the bottom placed side dragging us down a peg or two and our attitude not being ruthless enough on the day meaning all we take out of that contest was a trip to the G and the 4 points.

Back home for the bubbly Saints who won their second on the trot on the weekend. Twilight *hiccup* Saturday.

Having watched most of the Magpies game yesterday I'm not sure DBJ earns an instant recall and I think Watts perhaps has done enough to earn another game at AFL level after 2 pretty solid outings against Sturt and Norwood given Marshall's quiet fortnight.

Should Dixon's form come into discussion

Dixon 13 goals 18 behinds from 14 matches and 57 marks. Gives away a lot of frees
His ruck work is ordinary.
Jack Watts was dropped and has similar stats. 13 goals from 11 matches and 45 marks.
Just asking.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 am

goddy11 wrote:
Booney wrote:Bit of a ( Kenny Calendar voice ) lack luster affair at the MCG on Saturday in front of a disappointing crowd of just over 26,000.

Dixon 13 goals 18 behinds from 14 matches and 57 marks. Gives away a lot of frees
Jack Watts was dropped and has similar stats. 13 goals from 11 matches and 45 marks.
Just asking.

No. His presence is enough, takes the best defender plus a helper which allows others to score.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 am

If only other key forwards in the league were judged similarly
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:51 am

MW wrote:If only other key forwards in the league were judged similarly

You're not referring to Jenkins are you?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:57 am

If we were 4-10 and 16th his form would be a concern. Watch our games closely, see how often he is up 1-on-3 and he's creating opportunities for all the forwards around him. He's playing his role deep inside 50 and from his "nearly" game last week I expect his form to keep improving and reward on the scoreboard come.

As for comparing him to Watts, not apples with apples. Watts plays as a high half forward with his main job delivering the ball to the likes of Dixon. Dixon plays the target I50 with the biggest defender and opposition third man up being drawn to him.

Would he and Port like more on the board from him? Yes, I'd say we would, but again, 10-4 and we've beaten Sydney and Richmond.....if it aint broke...

His ruck work would be equal to any of the 2nd rucks in the competition.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I might be
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I am

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 am

MW wrote:I might be

The only intimidating he does out there is swinging his handbag around.

The crows are a much better outfit with Lynch on the park, Tex plays better and Eddie can hang around to feed off of the crumbs.

I wonder what Chuck's numbers are like depending on the conditions? Twilight and night games don't really suit the bigger blokes, he'll break open a couple of games throughout the year, it's probably been a pleasing thing from Port this season, they haven't been too reliant on Robbie as many pop their heads up for a big game here and there.

It was interesting reading in Sunday's chip wrapper that Robbie got best, on the triple m broadcast they were commenting on how quiet he had been, he ended up with 13 disposals and managed best?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am

goddy11 wrote:Should Dixon's form come into discussion

Just asking.

His discipline is an issue for mine. There is a fine line between imposing a physical presence and giving away dumb frees, and he crosses that line far too often for mine.

Of course Port fans would love him to translate those "nearly" performances (that Boon spoke of) into complete games, by clunking these grabs and converting set shots.

Can't read too much into his numbers as a 2nd ruck.

Quit the faux toughness and focus on contesting packs, clunking grabs and kicking goals (all of which he did in the 2nd half of last weekend) and he will silence the critics pretty quickly. I am far from a Tex fan, but his 2nd half on Saturday was magnificent. Exactly what you expect of your CHF.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby goddy11 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 am

valleys07 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Should Dixon's form come into discussion

Just asking.

His discipline is an issue for mine. There is a fine line between imposing a physical presence and giving away dumb frees, and he crosses that line far too often for mine.

Of course Port fans would love him to translate those "nearly" performances (that Boon spoke of) into complete games, by clunking these grabs and converting set shots.

Can't read too much into his numbers as a 2nd ruck.

Quit the faux toughness and focus on contesting packs, clunking grabs and kicking goals (all of which he did in the 2nd half of last weekend) and he will silence the critics pretty quickly. I am far from a Tex fan, but his 2nd half on Saturday was magnificent. Exactly what you expect of your CHF.

A great balanced summation valley07.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dirty dog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:47 pm

goddy11 wrote:

Just asking.

800k a year to try hard each week. No thanks
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Ruben Carter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:45 pm

As a Port fan, I don't remember us having a more intimidating and dangerous key forward since Tredrea. He creates goals with his presence, often having 2-3 defenders in marking contests against him. Wouldn't bother me at all if he only kicked 1 or 2 goals every week. He's great!
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby goddy11 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:As a Port fan, I don't remember us having a more intimidating and dangerous key forward since Tredrea. He creates goals with his presence, often having 2-3 defenders in marking contests against him. Wouldn't bother me at all if he only kicked 1 or 2 goals every week. He's great!

Really, comparing him to
Tredrea. 255 games 549 goals Dixon 107 games 173 goals.

Tredraea was a club champ.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:43 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:As a Port fan, I don't remember us having a more intimidating and dangerous key forward since Tredrea. He creates goals with his presence, often having 2-3 defenders in marking contests against him. Wouldn't bother me at all if he only kicked 1 or 2 goals every week. He's great!

Really, comparing him to

Cummings record would still be better than Dixon’s and he only played 2 seasons at Port.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Really, comparing him to

Cummings record would still be better than Dixon’s and he only played 2 seasons at Port.

Just out of interest what was Butchers goals per game average? Probably not to disimilar to Dixons
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Or Hawkins.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL