AFL Round 1 - 2018 - A 4 week build up.

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 1 - 2018 - A 4 week build up.

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-24/crow-cops-onematch-ban-for-zach-whack

Looking at the slow mo, the blood from his mouth comes from Douglas' hand on the other arm to the one that bumped him making contact with his mouth.
Head contact from sliding/hitting the top of Zach's shoulder and then into the head. Week will stand

First contact is Douglas' shoulder to Merrett's head, that's pretty clear I think and you're right, Douglas' left hand comes around and whacks him in the face causing the split lip.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-24/crow-cops-onematch-ban-for-zach-whack

Looking at the slow mo, the blood from his mouth comes from Douglas' hand on the other arm to the one that bumped him making contact with his mouth.
Head contact from sliding/hitting the top of Zach's shoulder and then into the head. Week will stand

First contact is Douglas' shoulder to Merrett's head, that's pretty clear I think and you're right, Douglas' left hand comes around and whacks him in the face causing the split lip.

Nah i think the other angle shows the line and sequence of contact. Not disputing the shoulder contacted the head but initial contact was shoulder then into head (but that is splitting hairs, as the end result was contact to the head)

Zach is appearing to get a bit of a glass jaw though - maybe needs a word with Brayshaw
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 pm

MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Stupid abot this and other similar cases if you jumped in the air and kicked or kneed the guy in the head not only would you not get reported you'd get a free kick for it.

Playing devils advocate, the difference being you are going for a spoil or a mark. In Gray and Douglas cases, both went for the bump. Their only intention.

Wasn't talking about going for a spoil or a mark, just a loose ball.

There's your difference.
Going for a loose ball vs going for the opponents body.

Wedgie wrote:No difference when the guy who gets kicked in the head is the only one going for the ball.
The one not going for the ball gets a free.

Are you referring to the Toby Greene one from last year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:No difference when the guy who gets kicked in the head is the only one going for the ball.
The one not going for the ball gets a free.

Are you referring to the Toby Greene one from last year.[/quote]
No
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:05 pm

pompy wrote:Does anyone know if Charlie Dixon was reported for his late bump on the Freo player who had just kicked the ball?
IMHO that seemed a late bump, head high, and he was obviously not going for the ball.
Seemed more of a reportable offence that Douglas' or Gray's bumps.

Wasn't even looked at by Christian.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-26/m ... -round-one

AFL Tribunal, 5pm, Tuesday March 27:

Richard Douglas, Adelaide Crows, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Zac Merrett, Essendon, during the first quarter of the Round One match between the Adelaide Crows and Essendon, played at Etihad Stadium on Friday March 23, 2018.

Based on the match day report and speaking to umpire Rob O’Gorman, who laid the report, the available video evidence and a medical report from the Essendon Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

Sanctions Accepted:

Brendon Goddard, Essendon, has accepted a $1000 sanction for making careless contact with umpire Ray Chamberlain during the third quarter of the Round One match between Essendon and the Adelaide Crows, played at Etihad Stadium on Friday March 23, 2018.

The AFL advises the Match Review of the remaining games from Saturday and Sunday of round one, and the AFLW Grand Final, have now been completed. The following charges have been laid with one other incident that required explanation. Michael Christian will be available to media at approximately 5pm today, Monday March 26.

Charges Laid from rest of round one and AFLW Grand Final:

Mitch Robinson, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with striking Seb Ross, St Kilda, during the fourth quarter of the Round One match between the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday March 24, 2018.

In summary, the offence is judged as a one-match sanction without appearing before the Tribunal.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the St Kilda Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

Mason Cox, Collingwood, has been charged with striking Daniel Howe, Hawthorn, during the third quarter of the Round One match between Collingwood and Hawthorn, played at the MCG on Saturday March 24, 2018.

In summary, the offence is judged as a one-match sanction without appearing before the Tribunal.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Hawthorn Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

Brayden Maynard, Collingwood, has been charged with staging during the fourth quarter of the Round One match between Collingwood and Hawthorn, played at the MCG on Saturday March 24, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for staging is a $1500 sanction. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Tahlia Randall, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Ellie Blackburn, Western Bulldogs, during the third quarter of the NAB AFLW Grand Final played at Ikon Park on Saturday March 24, 2018.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Brianna Koenen, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Kirsty Lamb, Western Bulldogs, during the third quarter of the NAB AFLW Grand Final played at Ikon Park on Saturday March 24, 2018.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Jess Wuetschner, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Hannah Scott, Western Bulldogs, during the fourth quarter of the NAB AFLW Grand Final played at Ikon Park on Saturday March 24, 2018.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Other Incidents Assessed:
Contact between Collingwood’s Travis Varcoe and Hawthorn’s Isaac Smith from the third quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. It was the view of the match review officer that contact was primarily made between Varcoe’s back, as he turned away from his opponent, and Smith’s body. Any high contact that was made was below the force required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bandit » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Didn't see it - but love the fact another player has been done for staging. Get this shit out of the game.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Booney wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:It looked like Guthrie sledged Gawn after the siren about his missed shot at goal.

He certainly did, not sure what's to be gained from it at that stage.

No it never happened, just a “cool story”.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:It looked like Guthrie sledged Gawn after the siren about his missed shot at goal.

I saw Guthrie say something, I saw Gawn remonstrate and I saw a Melbourne player get in front of Gawn and stop him from advancing towards Guthrie.

I wouldn't say it's a "cool story", but it's a true one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Gee it was good to get a win this early in the season :)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Gee it was good to get a win this early in the season :)

Ditto
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Booney wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:

I saw Guthrie say something, I saw Gawn remonstrate and I saw a Melbourne player get in front of Gawn and stop him from advancing towards Guthrie.

I wouldn't say it's a "cool story", but it's a true one.

Max Gawn on the Guthrie sledge : :lol:

http://www.afl.com.au/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Max Gawn Reveals Cameron Guthrie’s Disgusting Post Match Sledge… And It’s Not On.

In a shocking twist of events Max Gawn has gone against the unspoken rule in the AFL and lifted the lid on some in game sledging.

It was clear to all at home that himself and Cameron Guthrie exchanged words after a late miss that would have put the Demons ahead just before the final siren – but what was said was unknown before today.

Gawn has told CarltonDraft.com exclusively what was said that gave him such an emotional reaction.

“I feel sick repeating it to be honest, but I will so I can reveal the disgusting nature of it to you all,” Gawn told.

“He turned to me and said ‘bad luck on the miss – but you know what? I hope Bancroft, Warner and Smith don’t get fined or banned. I don’t think the ball tampering incident was that bad, and I think Stuart Broad is a good bloke who is harshly treated by Aussie fans.‘ which made me feel sick to my stomach.”

Gawn revealed that Guthrie did in fact try to apologize to him post match in the M.C.G car park post-match… But Gawn was having none of it.

“I gave him a Chinese burn and told him to rack the **** off before I spit in his lunch. I don’t need the little paddle-pop lion look-a-like trying to be my friend after the Un-Australian bullshit he pulled,” said the future Melbourne Hall of Fame entrant.

“What those Aus Cricket nerds did **** me right off. You don’t cheat to win… And in Melbourne’s case you just don’t win full stop. Would you rather win and possibly be accused of cheating, or not win and avoid the claims all together? Obvious call in my opinion."

Credit: carltondraft.com
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 pm

I love some of the satirical writing around the football world, some of it I don't.

#coolstorybro
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Certainly not something bit Maxy should be smiling about.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm

MW wrote:Certainly not something bit Maxy should be smiling about.
The above is from the Carlton draft. A page that takes the piss.

Read what Max has said on AFL.com.

Hardly smiling about it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 pm

stan wrote:
MW wrote:Certainly not something bit Maxy should be smiling about.
The above is from the Carlton draft. A page that takes the piss.

Read what Max has said on AFL.com.

Hardly smiling about it.

He does smile on the AFL.com.au's video right before and after he says he'd have done exactly the same thing, there's no picture or video of smiling on carltondraft.com, you have it the wrong way around Stan.
I'm sure most people realise carltondraft.com is a piss take. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Now we are criticising for smiling. He gives the game personality
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Brodlach wrote:Now we are criticising for smiling. He gives the game personality

Agreed, Max's awesome! Love everything about the guy including his kicking!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Douglas challenge was thrown out.
Gil has another $10k in his slush fund
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL