WAFC President

All discussions to do with the SANFL

WAFC President

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Shitty news overnight, with the termination of Lee Harradine's position as the president of the West Adelaide Footy Club.........................by phone
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: WAFC President

Postby Brett » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm

By phone is not great but was never in doubt as much as some want to spruik.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Life member with over 40 years voluntary work for the club, apparently about to be announced a third straight year of profit & significant debt reduction under his watch as president - sacked over the phone.
Sorry, I’m missing something here...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Blacky » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Spargo wrote:Life member with over 40 years voluntary work for the club, apparently about to be announced a third straight year of profit & significant debt reduction under his watch as president - sacked over the phone.

Wrong harradine with over 40 years
It's his brother that's done over 40 years service
Lee has done 30 years good service
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Blacky wrote:
Spargo wrote:Life member with over 40 years voluntary work for the club, apparently about to be announced a third straight year of profit & significant debt reduction under his watch as president - sacked over the phone.

Splitting hairs a bit.
What’s your take on it, @Blacky?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 am

Am I right in saying the recent members vote meant the SANFL now govern the WAFC, or similar?

If not, who sacked him?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am

Wasn’t sacked, the board stood down to allow a new management system. He wasn’t selected on the new panel I’m guessing much to his disappointment

Should have received more than a phone call though IMO but that’s the impersonal times we live in.
Last edited by Brodlach on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 am

As you are aware, the West Adelaide Football Club is currently undergoing a leadership restructuring process to improve its operations both on and off the field through a best practice board structure.

The Nominations Committee appointed by the Board in 2018 has now completed the process of identifying the five people who will be nominated to the WAFC Board at the Annual General Meeting to be held on February 25. As part of the process, the current Board Members agreed unanimously to step down at the AGM to allow the formation of a new board to lead the Club forward. The process could not have progressed without the support of the current Board who recognised a need for a more progressive and diverse skill set to improve the off-field performance and thrive as a successful Club in the future.

Therefore we are pleased to announce the appointment of the five nominated Directors:

Mr Murray Forbes (President)

Murray has recently retired from his role as the Dealer Principal at City Mazda, a position he held since 2008. During his time at City Mazda, Murray earned several national awards and provided valuable support to West Adelaide Football Club as the naming rights sponsor to the stadium. During his time in the automotive industry, Murray has developed exceptional knowledge and understanding of company finances and corporate governance. Murray is a founding Member of the Wolfpack.

Term: 3 years

Mr Graeme Barton (Football Director)

A past player, former President and Life Member of the Westonians, Graeme has served as a West Adelaide Football Club Director for 10 years. Graeme has been an active contributor to the Club over many years, including the establishment of the History group and acting as the Player Advocate in tribunal hearings. In his role as the Football Director, Graeme has developed strong relationships with the coaching staff and playing group which will play an integral role in the Club’s future success. In his professional life Graeme served as an Assistant Commissioner of Police for ten years. Graeme is a Member of the Wolfpack.

Term: 1 year

Ms Jacqui Rose (People, Culture & Governance Director)

Jacqui has extensive experience as a leader in the mining sector through a variety of roles with BHP at Olympic Dam. With expertise in change management, risk management, governance and project management, Jacqui will no doubt add valuable skills to the West Adelaide Football Club Board. She also has experience in community sporting environment through her involvement with the Roxby Downs Sporting Club.

Term: 2 years

Mr Nick Karasoulos (Marketing and Commercial Sponsorship Director)

As Director of one of the largest Harvey Norman franchises in Australia, Nick has been a fantastic supporter of West Adelaide Football Club over many years. His passion for the Club is without question and his expertise in marketing and sponsorship will be of significant value to the Club during his tenure on the Board. Nick has lead his franchises to many national and global awards whilst also serving in national management and strategy committees. Nick’s extensive business and media connections will be of significant value to West Adelaide during his term on the Board.

Term: 2 years

Mr Mark Goddard (Finance Director)

Mark has a strong banking and finance background developed during a 30 year career leading and managing businesses. As a Founding Director of corporate advisory firm Equity & Advisory Limited, Mark has guided large businesses through period of significant change and growth. More recently working as a private consultant, Mark has gained extensive experience as a member of the Executive Leadership team at the Weeks Group of Companies.

Term: 3 years

The Nominations Committee also appointed John Levy as the Honorary Club Solicitor and Chair of the Governance Committee (a sub-committee of the Board). John has been a loyal servant to the Club as a Director and will continue his support in this non-director role.

These five nominated Directors have been appointed with their terms commencing at the closure of the Annual General Meeting. Candidates who were unsuccessful in the process conducted by the Nominations Committee may still apply for the two Member Elected Director roles. Applications for these roles are open until Monday, February 11.

Again, thank you for your ongoing support of West Adelaide Football Club and we look forward to a successful 2019.

Ben Hopkins, Chief Executive Officer
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 am

Right, so as I read it the "Nominations Committee" that was appointed by the board to oversee the selection of the new board has decided Murray Forbes will be the new President and not Lee Harradine.

This then was implemented to allow the "Nominations Committee" to appoint the board and not the members :

During a Special General Meeting held on Monday 17 December 2018, a single resolution was put to the Members proposing changes to the Constitution of the West Adelaide Football Club. The intended purpose of the proposed changes was to alter the processes by which West Adelaide FC Board Members are nominated and elected. The resolution had previously received the unanimous support of the current West Adelaide FC Board, but as outlined in the Constitution, required the support of at least 75% of the Members present (either in person or by proxy) to be carried. The motion received support of 83.9% of the votes cast and as such was determined carried.

A revised constitution has now been created.

Who was on the "Nominations Committee"?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 am

Selected by the SANFL I believe.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:04 am

Brodlach wrote:Selected by the SANFL I believe.

They'll be coming for all/most clubs you'd imagine
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 am

JK wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Selected by the SANFL I believe.

They'll be coming for all/most clubs you'd imagine

Yep all, based on the Sturt model
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby StrayDog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 am

Brodlach wrote:Wasn’t sacked, the board stood down to allow a new management system. He wasn’t selected on the new panel I’m guessing much to his disappointment

Should have received more than a phone call though IMO but that’s the impersonal times we live in.

Maybe, but that neither excuses this approach nor makes it any less worthy of derision. At least he didn't have to find out via "social" media, I guess.

(StrayDog takes a deep breath...)

Anyway, from his online contributions over many years and the one time I met him in person, I've found Lee to be an astute, friendly, genuine footy bloke that loves his SANFL and his Westies. All the best to him for the future.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby oldfella » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 am

BLACKY --- your correct as you are the 40 year boy but i think Lee is 35 years now --- eitherway great service by both of you and i thank you both.

BOONEY ----- appointment committee was david shipway, john kantilaftas and adrian odea

MY POSITION ON SITUATION

Reguardless of right or wrong the members voted for the change to a predominately non elected board and the existing board agreed to stand down at the time of the AGM to allow this to occur.

In line with this the club called for expressions of interest from those who wished to be considered for appointment to the board and now is in the process of advising those who were unsuccessfull in line with normal business practice.

What i find absolutely disgracefull is that a club Life Member and a 35 year volunteer of the club was advised via a telephone call rather than being advised in a more appropriate manner. But given that the person making the phone call is more of an SANFL man than a westies man then its not surprising.

I belive that it will shortly be announced that the club will have its third profit in a row with a significant reduction in overall club debt so hard to suggest Lee and the outgoing board was unsuccessfull.

Lee, as a life member i am embarressed in how you were treated and as such at this time i will be withdrawing from contact with westies
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:54 am

Dont think being advised by phone call is any great issue is it?

If by text or email I agree but whats wrong win a one on one phone call?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 am

Blacky wrote:

Wow :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby oldfella » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Probably an issue of respect and this is not the only issue which i prefer not to discuss.

You say one on one on a phone ok in a business environment but in a footy club environment especially to a long serving life member,maybe not right perhaps a one on one face to face was more appropriate but we all have different opinions which is great.
oldfella
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:Dont think being advised by phone call is any great issue is it?

If by text or email I agree but whats wrong win a one on one phone call?

Agreed. If a call was placed to arrange a meeting then he'd have know the purpose of that meeting.

As noted above, debt reduced, 3 years of profit on the trot, seems like the team that was in place was ticking the boxes in many respects.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby oldfella » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Blacky wrote:

Wow :lol:

It actually goes further, the boys grandfather Westies Hall Of Fame Member and Life Member Stud Harradine is the clubs longest serving volunteer with from memory 53 year.

The Harradine family is truely West Adelaide Royalty
oldfella
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Perhaps not the right time, but, "The Club is always bigger than the individual"

Not always the easiest pill to swallow, I can vouch for that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL