2019 Silly Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Spargo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
LMA wrote:
I don't even think Hawthorn could get him on the park

Call me naive or whatever you like but it needed one of the big 4 to be able to successfully.


I don’t think Glenelg, Port, Norwood or Sturt could’ve straightened him out...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10968
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 2935 times
Been liked: 3190 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Spargo wrote:

I don’t think Glenelg, Port, Norwood or Sturt could’ve straightened him out...

:lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 37879
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 2583 times
Been liked: 4628 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Bennell to Melbourne means that Martin will get to Carlton ;-)
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7262
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 433 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Bennell to Melbourne means that Martin will get to Carlton ;-)


I think Bennell has been delisted so he can go to Melbourne now likes Newnes did to Carlton.
User avatar
Armchair expert
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2421
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 289 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:Bennell to Melbourne means that Martin will get to Carlton ;-)


I think Bennell has been delisted so he can go to Melbourne now likes Newnes did to Carlton.


Yeh, I was more meaning that they were going to take Martin as pick 2 which will be unlikely if they take Bennell due to salary cap and list spots.
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7262
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 433 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Surely Bennell would not be among the higher paid players, or even mid range.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
User avatar
PatowalongaPirate
Veteran
 
 
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am
Location: Tiger Land
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 825 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Surely Bennell would not be among the higher paid players, or even mid range.


Takes up a spot and takes up salary cap.
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7262
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 433 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby tigerpie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:32 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Surely Bennell would not be among the higher paid players, or even mid range.


Takes up a spot and takes up salary cap.

If he really wants to play, and can stay fit its a massive up for Melbourne.
If he falls back to his bad habits then it could cost Goodwin his job.
tigerpie
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 pm
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:40 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Surely Bennell would not be among the higher paid players, or even mid range.

Rookie spot?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Here
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 487 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Michael Hartley has decided to pursue options elsewhere and has left Essendon.
Has been some talk that the Hawks might pick him up
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 40317
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1059 times
Been liked: 2438 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby LMA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:Michael Hartley has decided to pursue options elsewhere and has left Essendon.
Has been some talk that the Hawks might pick him up


giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif (679.14 KiB) Viewed 459 times
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5293
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 520 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby MatteeG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 am

Jim05 wrote:Michael Hartley has decided to pursue options elsewhere and has left Essendon.
Has been some talk that the Hawks might pick him up


I know we liked him years ago pre draft.

Obviously hasnt played much in the ones recently Jim but I thought he looked OK in 2016 when the second stringers were playing. Has he dropped off or more a victim of KPD depth?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
User avatar
MatteeG
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4493
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:36 pm
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 347 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am

MatteeG wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Michael Hartley has decided to pursue options elsewhere and has left Essendon.
Has been some talk that the Hawks might pick him up


I know we liked him years ago pre draft.

Obviously hasnt played much in the ones recently Jim but I thought he looked OK in 2016 when the second stringers were playing. Has he dropped off or more a victim of KPD depth?


What KPD depth?
PAFC. Forever.
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 45216
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4362 times
Been liked: 7327 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am

Booney wrote:
MatteeG wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Michael Hartley has decided to pursue options elsewhere and has left Essendon.
Has been some talk that the Hawks might pick him up


I know we liked him years ago pre draft.

Obviously hasnt played much in the ones recently Jim but I thought he looked OK in 2016 when the second stringers were playing. Has he dropped off or more a victim of KPD depth?


What KPD depth?

Trouble is he really isn’t a KPD and is a pretty limited footballer. Ideally Joe is fit and Hooker plays back all season. Think we are trying to groom Francis for one of those pots eventually and Zerk-Thatcher has came along very nicely so would be higher on the price king order than Hartley
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 40317
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1059 times
Been liked: 2438 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby mots02 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Surely Carlton aren't agreeing to pay this bloke a $mil?!

Jack Martin wants a five-year deal and more than $1 million in 2020, according to The Age.

Their report suggests this request knocks Gold Coast and Melbourne out of the race for the wantaway midfielder, which will see him walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft.


Martin’s management lodged the contract terms with the AFL on Monday morning and has also nominated for only the pre-season draft.

This was likely done to allow him to get to his destination of choice in Carlton.

The Suns and Blues were unable to come to an agreement for the midfielder during the trade period, leaving him no choice but to nominate for either the National or pre-season drafts
User avatar
mots02
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 pm

mots02 wrote:Surely Carlton aren't agreeing to pay this bloke a $mil?!

Jack Martin wants a five-year deal and more than $1 million in 2020, according to The Age.

Their report suggests this request knocks Gold Coast and Melbourne out of the race for the wantaway midfielder, which will see him walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft.


Martin’s management lodged the contract terms with the AFL on Monday morning and has also nominated for only the pre-season draft.

This was likely done to allow him to get to his destination of choice in Carlton.

The Suns and Blues were unable to come to an agreement for the midfielder during the trade period, leaving him no choice but to nominate for either the National or pre-season drafts


Maybe the contract is front end loaded.
$1m in 2020 and $400k there after?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1398 times
Been liked: 1447 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby beef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Contract is heavily front loaded so other clubs don't pick him up and have to match the wage. Think its a good move as long as he doesnt want to leave after the big chunk of his money is already paid
User avatar
beef
League Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 189 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby mots02 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
mots02 wrote:Surely Carlton aren't agreeing to pay this bloke a $mil?!

Jack Martin wants a five-year deal and more than $1 million in 2020, according to The Age.

Their report suggests this request knocks Gold Coast and Melbourne out of the race for the wantaway midfielder, which will see him walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft.


Martin’s management lodged the contract terms with the AFL on Monday morning and has also nominated for only the pre-season draft.

This was likely done to allow him to get to his destination of choice in Carlton.

The Suns and Blues were unable to come to an agreement for the midfielder during the trade period, leaving him no choice but to nominate for either the National or pre-season drafts


Maybe the contract is front end loaded.
$1m in 2020 and $400k there after?


$1m in 2020 and $40k there after is getting closer to the mark.

Just did a quick comparison.


Jack Martin 96 Games 16.2 Ave Disp 4.9 Ave Marks 3.7 Ave Tackles 0.8 Ave Goals 74.7 Ave DT
Sam Gray 98 Games 17.9 Ave Disp 4.0 Ave Marks 3.6 Ave Tackles 0.9 Ave Goals 75.9 Ave DT

One bloke without a club, the other asking for $1mil a season!
User avatar
mots02
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Gray has got every ounce of ability out of his body where as Martin hasn’t yet.
Time will tell but it’s worth a punt on him I feel.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1398 times
Been liked: 1447 times

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby mots02 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Gray has got every ounce of ability out of his body where as Martin hasn’t yet.
Time will tell but it’s worth a punt on him I feel.


So you're paying a mil for a lazy version of Sam Gray? ;)
User avatar
mots02
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests