2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby bertiebeatle » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Spargo wrote:
DOC wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote::lol: :lol: oh man, I thought this thread would produce the goods tonight and it has.
You blokes live a miserable life

Nothing wrong with what Port is doing, its taking up a list spot that would have been taken by another SANFL player anyway but you guys are too thick to realise that.

Why would the "list spot" be taken by a SANFL player?

And why has ol’ mate @bertiebeatle changed his profile teams from port power & port magpies to both bulldog sides???

Woof woof
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Spargo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Isnt there a rule that a Marque player cant have played AFL in past 2 seasons?

They just mentioned on Ch 7 that Goldsack has nominated for the AFL draft so the Magpies can pick him as a marquee player if he’s not picked up.
Another loophole

Umm, 2 marquee players?

I just saw it again.
Power are rookie listing him so he isn’t the marque player but won’t play afl and will mentor and play sanfl

Yep - both Crows and Power are allowed 1 marquee player with basically no restrictions on who it is. Then everyone else on the supplementary list cannot have played AFL in the past 2 seasons. Therefore by naming Sutcliffe as the marquee player, they cannot have Goldsack on the supplementary list as he played AFL in 2019.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby DOC » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:41 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote::lol: :lol: oh man, I thought this thread would produce the goods tonight and it has.

Nothing wrong with what Port is doing, its taking up a list spot that would have been taken by another SANFL player anyway but you guys are too thick to realise that.

You can’t rookie list players from other states?
Umm ok!

Of course you can, have a look at ports history into recent years of rookie drafted players. Majority come from the SANFL. There’s a very good chance Schofield is the one that may miss a list spot due to Goldsack potentially being on the rookie list

So maybe not a SANFL player,
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:42 pm

If Port add Goldsack to their rookie list, there is nothing the SANFL can do about it - they are naming him on their AFL list just like they could name an 18 year old that doesn't get picked up in the draft.

Whilst their plan is to boost their SANFL squad because they have a spot available, they can spin it that they are adding him as security in case they get injuries to their AFL side.

The issues are:

1. At an AFL level, allowing veteran players on a rookie list defeats the purpose of what the rookie list was originally trying to achieve.

2. The idea of adding a player to your rookie list with the primary aim of boosting your SANFL side starts to go into the same territory that the SANFL and their clubs have been fearing in relation to mid-season drafts. Imagine if they "rookie listed" the best player from your SANFL club knowing that the player isn't going to play AFL and the sole aim of rookie listing them is to improve their SANFL premiership chances whilst also weakening a rival.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:48 pm

Additionally they can pay him up to $80k as a rookie and it does not go into their AFL Salary Cap
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:07 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Umm ok!

Of course you can, have a look at ports history into recent years of rookie drafted players. Majority come from the SANFL. There’s a very good chance Schofield is the one that may miss a list spot due to Goldsack potentially being on the rookie list

So the question is - if Port were not in the SANFL, would they choose Schofield or Goldsack?

Port's one goal should be winning an AFL premiership. Any success or otherwise that they have in the SANFL should be circumstantial to this.

As soon as they start using their existence in the AFL (such as making decisions with their AFL playing list) with the aim of trying to win an SANFL premiership is when they should no longer be allowed in the competition.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Postby Maggies2002 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the whole point of taking Goldsack would be to mentor the younger players into the mould that is required to play AFL football. I hate Port as much as the next bloke but your argument is about as solid as Swiss Cheese.
Maggies2002

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:43 am

Maggies2002 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but the whole point of taking Goldsack would be to mentor the younger players into the mould that is required to play AFL football. I hate Port as much as the next bloke but your argument is about as solid as Swiss Cheese.

Someone finally gets it :D
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby bertiebeatle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:07 am

Port rookie listing Goldsack is to do with two things.
1 - the soft cap. This allows Port to have an extra coach now
2 - Help with the kids as an on field leader.

Nothing wrong with port is doing. He’s only taking a spot that’s going to be used by someone else anyway.
It’s likely the only way Goldsack plays footy in 2021 as well
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby bertiebeatle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:20 am

DOC wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Umm ok!

Maybe yes, maybe no, but..
Since 2016, Port have had 10 rookie draft selections. 9 have been used on players that have played sanfl or if weren’t rookie listed were going to play SANFL. So it’s 90% likely with the direction port is taking that they will be selecting SANFL caliber players in the rookie draft as per recent experience.
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby UK Fan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 am

Port will have 3 marquee players Sutcliffe Goldsack and Broomhead watch this space
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:10 am

bertiebeatle wrote:
DOC wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Umm ok!

Maybe yes, maybe no, but..
Since 2016, Port have had 10 rookie draft selections. 9 have been used on players that have played sanfl or if weren’t rookie listed were going to play SANFL. So it’s 90% likely with the direction port is taking that they will be selecting SANFL caliber players in the rookie draft as per recent experience.

80% of all stats are made up
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby whybother » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 am

"80% of all stats are made up"....including this one
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 am

whybother wrote:"80% of all stats are made up"....including this one

Nah that ones in the 20% mate. ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby ferret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Maggies2002 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but the whole point of taking Goldsack would be to mentor the younger players into the mould that is required to play AFL football. I hate Port as much as the next bloke but your argument is about as solid as Swiss Cheese.

How many bloody mentors do they want in the team. I thought Sutcliffe being appointed captain and marquee player that would be his responsibility. I'm sure during the year senior power players will play in the reserves so that would mean they have more mentors. Why can't Goldsack do the mentoring during the week and at quarter and half time, surely they don't need to have their hand held on the field as well. What's the bloody coach getting paid for???? Always knew power would find someway to get around it.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Groucho » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Why don't they F off out our league and take the Crows with them.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby stan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 am

Groucho wrote:Why don't they F off out our league and take the Crows with them.
Because the SANFL wants them back for some stupid reason.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:54 am

stan wrote:

Kerin the crows ambassador. I’m sure it’s just coincidence that the last 2 sanfl presidents have been crows ambassadors
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:06 am

UK Fan wrote:crows ambassador

What the hell does that title even mean?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:28 am

stan wrote:

Emphasis on stupid
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL