Riverland Football Chatter

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Postby BOM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Yep I know there's a lot out there like your self not worried about the travel but unfortunately it's the people that complain about the travel that make it hard. We heard plenty of it when we joined but like you said we get the worst of it and don't have a problem! I make it to the Clare Valley for work most Saturday nights by 8pm so can't be too bad :)
BOM
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Blanchetown-Swan Reach

Postby BOM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

IF Sedan Cambrai were to enter games would be at Cambrai. They put all their eggs in the one basket in mid murray days and let the oval at Sedan go. But once you've gone that far what's an extra 10km!
BOM
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Blanchetown-Swan Reach

Postby Not Scared » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 am

On The Pine wrote:
OnSong wrote:Neither of those leagues have footy and netball at the same place. (I think)

RFL don't have netball follow the footy? Pretty sure RMFL do.
Dogwatcher wrote:
Not Scared wrote:I agree with that. I reckon the RFL should be looking towards the Mallee for two extra teams though. There are a couple of clubs there struggling and the stronger clubs joining the RFL would make for a vibrant and interesting comp. Travel would still be less than most country leagues.

I reckon you've been on that bandwagon for a few years, NS. What chances do you think there are? And which clubs?

A few years back there was a meeting of Riverland, Independent, Mallee and Mid Murray clubs to talk about the dire situation of player numbers in certain parts of the Murray Mallee region. It was suggested Mallee accept some MM clubs into their league (with some others going to the Indies) and also drop their reserves comp (as so many reserves players come from the city). It was met with total disinterest from the Mallee clubs, they are very proud of their comp (despite all of its concerns). We all know what happened to the MM league as a result.
Five or six years on, it'll be interesting as to how officials feel now.

On the netball bit, netball in the Riverland does mainly follow the RFL now. On Saturdays all but 1 grade are in the same town, and most netball courts are very near to the football oval, if not in the same complex. A1 and A2 do play Friday night, but I dare say that if we are talking about a Mallee or Mid Murray team joining the RFL, their A grade netball sides could quite comfortably compete in the A3 competition, which is always on Saturday and in the same town as the football. Their other teams would then be able to fit in wherever they are best suited out of the other 6 odd grades that are left, most of which are also in the same town.

As for Dogwatcher's comments on the disinterest from the Mallee I know that happened, but I find it funny because the people I speak to in the Mallee are very realistic and actually want it to happen. They know that there are teams there that can't go on the way they are, and that eventually it will come to a head. They know that when a team folds BDT will likely split in the other direction, and they don't want to be left playing Independents if it's all left too late. That's no disrespect to the independents but they see themselves as being good enough to compete in the RFL.

I think a proactive move should made sooner rather than later.
Don't be scared. Now is not the time!
Not Scared
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby David Brent » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Any news on any potential singings for any clubs up here? Surely Barmera have a couple lined up?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby jack sparow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:33 pm

David Brent wrote:Any news on any potential singings for any clubs up here? Surely Barmera have a couple lined up?

I had heard Baldock was leaving so they may be wanting to replace him id imagine. Can anyone confirm that he is leaving?
jack sparow

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Basher McCracken » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

jack sparow wrote:
David Brent wrote:Any news on any potential singings for any clubs up here? Surely Barmera have a couple lined up?

I had heard Baldock was leaving so they may be wanting to replace him id imagine. Can anyone confirm that he is leaving?

Fairly sure Baldock won't be returning unless the Barmera brains trust can convince him otherwise. Also have heard that young Loxton Nth ruckman Benny Miller has had a nasty accident, the big fella is not in a good way,
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:18 am

Very bad fall. He'll be ok by all accounts, though.

Good luck to Loxton North skipper Josh Nelson who gets married soon. This weekend, I think.
And, good luck to Ben Williams, his best man, who still has to come up with a speech.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby FULLY LOADED MAN » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:25 pm

jack sparow wrote:

i heard barmera have already replaced him with a guy who is playing in the ntfl has moved to the region for work and will be no points
FULLY LOADED MAN
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby boot camp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:
jack sparow wrote:

i heard barmera have already replaced him with a guy who is playing in the ntfl has moved to the region for work and will be no points

Baldock to Crystal brook
boot camp
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby DARK KNIGHT » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 am

boot camp wrote:
FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:
jack sparow wrote:

Baldock to Crystal brook

I heard he is going to Jamestown
DARK KNIGHT
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times

Postby David Brent » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:29 pm

FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:
jack sparow wrote:

I heard on the grapevine they may have a ruckman singed up
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Postby lutz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm

David Brent wrote:
FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:
jack sparow wrote:

I heard on the grapevine they may have a ruckman singed up

Barmera have signed a couple guys in the last week, one of whom is a ruckman. The ruckman is Sam Daniel who played at Henley for quite a few years, playing a few games of A grade, but struggled to cement his place with the likes of Hoban and Pederson assuming the role of first ruck. He played at Goolwa/Pt Elliot last year, but was in search of a new club after they recruited Jimmy Meiklejohn.
The second player is his good friend Aaron Dart who has played at Henley since he was a kid. He's the last guy I pictured leaving the Sharks, but the lure of a change of scene, money, and playing with his good friend must have got Barmera over the line.
Both guys are good lads, and very handy players who should do well this year.
lutz
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

Barmera would have hit their intended target with Dart.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am

OnSong wrote:Barmera would have hit their intended target with Dart.

bullseye
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 pm

OnSong wrote:Barmera would have hit their intended target with Dart.

Oh no, not the dart. He's a wee ripper!!!!!
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times

Postby DARK KNIGHT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 am

couple of in's & out's in the clearances of note, I thought Meneghetti was going to Loxton but I see North have got him.
also a couple of in's for Waikerie, Wilson from Yank & Braendler from Thevenard
DARK KNIGHT
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 pm

North very happy with the Meneghetti pick up.
The Panthers sound quietly confident of being able to defend their title.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby David Brent » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 am

Another year, another Indepedent club folds oh dear
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 pm

The club hasn't folded. It's gone into recess for 12 months.

Although it's difficult to see East Murray coming back from here.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby David Brent » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:The club hasn't folded. It's gone into recess for 12 months.

Although it's difficult to see East Murray coming back from here.

Fold/recess still an ordinary look for the league
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy