Riverland Football Chatter

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

It's not an ordinary look for the league. It's sad for the league and the farming community that their football club no longer has the numbers to survive.
I had some good contests with East Murray blokes in the past and while they played it tough, they were good blokes - most of those fellas are still around the area and would be heartbroken.

It's possible, that eventually, with the Riverland's population drift, the Indies will disappear. Why anyone would take any glee from the death of football clubs is beyond me. Once the Indies are gone, the next focus for concern will be the Riverland B grade sides...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It's not an ordinary look for the league. It's sad for the league and the farming community that their football club no longer has the numbers to survive.
I had some good contests with East Murray blokes in the past and while they played it tough, they were good blokes - most of those fellas are still around the area and would be heartbroken.

It's possible, that eventually, with the Riverland's population drift, the Indies will disappear. Why anyone would take any glee from the death of football clubs is beyond me. Once the Indies are gone, the next focus for concern will be the Riverland B grade sides...

I don't think anybody takes glee at all. I do think that a few people need to pull their head out of the sand though and admit the comp is struggling and look at ways to best keep their teams up and running. whether that is by joining the RFL B Grade comp, I don't know, but maybe start looking into different options for the future instead of saying things are good, because before you know it, the comp could be on it's knees and at the point of no return. That's just my opinion of course.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby OnSong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

What percentage of Indy clubs are relatively secure?

At a guess: Paringa, BSR, Ramco, Cobby.

MK, Wun, EM, BW, Lyrup all struggled of late with numbers at some stage. Is that fair?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:It's not an ordinary look for the league. It's sad for the league and the farming community that their football club no longer has the numbers to survive.

I don't think anybody takes glee at all. I do think that a few people need to pull their head out of the sand though and admit the comp is struggling and look at ways to best keep their teams up and running. whether that is by joining the RFL B Grade comp, I don't know, but maybe start looking into different options for the future instead of saying things are good, because before you know it, the comp could be on it's knees and at the point of no return. That's just my opinion of course.

For once I agree with you BC.
At Paringa we've recently looked into what we can do as a club to ensure we will always be viable, no matter what happens to the Independent competition. We're fortunate in that our location is right next to Renmark, but we've also worked our arses off to make sure our club will prosper on and off the field.
Unfortunately for East Murray their location is a huge factor in whether they're able to attract players.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 pm

OnSong wrote:What percentage of Indy clubs are relatively secure?

At a guess: Paringa, BSR, Ramco, Cobby.

MK, Wun, EM, BW, Lyrup all struggled of late with numbers at some stage. Is that fair?

Brown's Well probably doesn't fit in that category.
Even when they went through seasons winless, they still had reasonable numbers. Just not great quality.

Ramco has been up and down with player numbers.
Baron Greenback
Coach

Postby grasshopper22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

On The Pine wrote:The MM's demise wasn't linked to not joining Mallee. Doing that would have resulted in more clubs folding - no one wanted the 2-3 hr travel and would have left. BSR lost Adelaide based players for that reason when moving to Indies. I still reckon BSR and Sedan should merge to form a new MM club and go somewhere that has full footy and netball at the same place. Which league is stronger RMFL or RFL? RFL might be a better fit despite the extra travel for city based players.

Footy end netball follow each other in the RMFL bud, and I think a lot you may find that the RMFL is a stronger league that the RFL. For starters the furtherest any player has to travel is 1hr and 20 mins from the toll gate to Meningie.

Also Meneghetti should prove to be a massive in for north, quality footballer and a great lad.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

What the hell is going on at Berri?? 10 clearances out, 0 clearances in. Unless they have a heap of recruits they are keeping secret (and let's face it, that never happens) serious trouble for the demons :evil:
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 am

WellPlayed#9 wrote:What the hell is going on at Berri?? 10 clearances out, 0 clearances in. Unless they have a heap of recruits they are keeping secret (and let's face it, that never happens) serious trouble for the demons :evil:

From what I've heard, they have picked up a few lads from town. Probably just haven't put the clearances in yet. That's only what i've heard of course and not gospel.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
WellPlayed#9 wrote:What the hell is going on at Berri?? 10 clearances out, 0 clearances in. Unless they have a heap of recruits they are keeping secret (and let's face it, that never happens) serious trouble for the demons :evil:

From what I've heard, they have picked up a few lads from town. Probably just haven't put the clearances in yet. That's only what i've heard of course and not gospel.

I hope you're right!! Country footy is a numbers game above all else.
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:25 am

Someone suggested to me on the weekend that it's possible if things are as bad as they look, Waikerie's B grade could beat Berri's A grade this season.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Someone suggested to me on the weekend that it's possible if things are as bad as they look, Waikerie's B grade could beat Berri's A grade this season.

I've heard some shit in my time.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Didn't come from a Loxton North person either.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby FULLY LOADED MAN » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Someone suggested to me on the weekend that it's possible if things are as bad as they look, Waikerie's B grade could beat Berri's A grade this season.

i reckon lyrup will give them a run for their money...
FULLY LOADED MAN
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Basher McCracken » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Looks like Barmera have lost another key player with Marc Elliott and his girlfriend both leaving the area for the big smoke
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby FULLY LOADED MAN » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Basher McCracken wrote:Looks like Barmera have lost another key player with Marc Elliott and his girlfriend both leaving the area for the big smoke

looks like half their b grade is heading to moorook as well. wonder how the moorook faithful will feel when they can't get a game!!
FULLY LOADED MAN
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Given numbers in the past and the need for recruiting, I don't think there'll be too many that have a problem.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Plus some have gone to Lyrup.
Baron Greenback
Coach

Postby Basher McCracken » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 pm

FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:
Basher McCracken wrote:Looks like Barmera have lost another key player with Marc Elliott and his girlfriend both leaving the area for the big smoke

looks like half their b grade is heading to moorook as well. wonder how the moorook faithful will feel when they can't get a game!!

19 clearance's out at the moment with talk there might be a few more, lucky they have good numbers at the moment in the U18's to fill in for the B's
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby DARK KNIGHT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:37 am

Basher McCracken wrote:
FULLY LOADED MAN wrote:

19 clearance's out at the moment with talk there might be a few more, lucky they have good numbers at the moment in the U18's to fill in for the B's[/quot
I count the outs as 24 with only 6 ins, surely they must have some more up their sleeve, no matter how good the numbers are in lower grades very tough to loose enough a team of players for any club
DARK KNIGHT
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times

Postby FULLY LOADED MAN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 pm

see berri have a few ins pending. saf must have finally agreed to take a pay cut
FULLY LOADED MAN
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy