Riverland Football Chatter

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Postby The Slug » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:27 am

Lead out chest mark wrote:Was passing through loxton on my way back too adelaide so thought I would stop in an have a look at the local footy loxton v waikerie.
The two blokes umpiring should be on report an trained properly I've seen a lot of country footy but that was by far the worst I've seen they controlled the game from the first bounce they had way too much input on the game

They seem more interested in telling young kids to move away from the boundary line, and what supporters are saying from the sidelines than concentrating on their own performance. The way they are going no one will want to go to the footy. I know umpiring numbers are low and we have to look after them, but they do get paid well to do the job of umpiring , not crowd control.
I happened to talk to someone from the EP a few weeks ago that watched one of our games and they said that they will never complain about their umpires again. We need to bring in more interleague umpire exchanges, and even bring in umpires from Adelaide to lift the standard. I`m not going to comment on how they umpired the game yesterday as I don`t want to take away from Loxton's great performance. They were much better than a side who is sitting on the bottom of the table, and I expect them to cause a few more upsets if they play with the same intensity and method as they showed yesterday.
The Slug
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Lead out chest mark » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not taking anything away from loxton either slug but the umpires Were Shocking Yesterday and if something's not done about it ASAP it can very easily turn a great competition into an average one
Lead out chest mark
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Karoonda

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 pm

The Slug wrote:
Lead out chest mark wrote:Was passing through loxton on my way back too adelaide so thought I would stop in an have a look at the local footy loxton v waikerie.
The two blokes umpiring should be on report an trained properly I've seen a lot of country footy but that was by far the worst I've seen they controlled the game from the first bounce they had way too much input on the game

They seem more interested in telling young kids to move away from the boundary line, and what supporters are saying from the sidelines than concentrating on their own performance. The way they are going no one will want to go to the footy. I know umpiring numbers are low and we have to look after them, but they do get paid well to do the job of umpiring , not crowd control.
I happened to talk to someone from the EP a few weeks ago that watched one of our games and they said that they will never complain about their umpires again. We need to bring in more interleague umpire exchanges, and even bring in umpires from Adelaide to lift the standard. I`m not going to comment on how they umpired the game yesterday as I don`t want to take away from Loxton's great performance. They were much better than a side who is sitting on the bottom of the table, and I expect them to cause a few more upsets if they play with the same intensity and method as they showed yesterday.

Umpires don't determine the outcome of games but poor decisions and inconsistency confuses and frustrates the players, and can shift momentum, and momentum does shape results. The best umpires are the ones who call the obvious ones then put the whistle away on the iffy ones allowing the game to go and flow. I reckon if the umpires did more of that they wouldn't cop the abuse from players and spectators.
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Lead out chest mark wrote:I'm not taking anything away from loxton either slug but the umpires Were Shocking Yesterday and if something's not done about it ASAP it can very easily turn a great competition into an average one

The RFL is no longer a great competition. It has dropped off dramatically ove rthe last couple of years and would struggle against most other country leagues i would think.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby callop » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Lead out chest mark wrote:I'm not taking anything away from loxton either slug but the umpires Were Shocking Yesterday and if something's not done about it ASAP it can very easily turn a great competition into an average one

The RFL is no longer a great competition. It has dropped off dramatically ove rthe last couple of years and would struggle against most other country leagues i would think.

Have to disagree with your last comment BC. The simple facts are all country leagues outside those on the city fringes are struggling. Towns are shrinking and services are dying. Add to that the fact many potential footballers are having to work Saturdays etc. I'd say most people in any country league would say their standard of competition had dropped in the last 15 years. Geez even the SANFL is dying. However to say the RFL would struggle against most other leagues is nonsense. Have a look at where your fringe A graders play in other competitions and most are still kicking around in A Grade competitions. All countty sport is struggling and the RFL is no different. The competition to really worry about is the Indies and those communities.. I am proud of the RFL and believe it is one of the best run country leagues going round. Our ovals and facilities are equal to any top country league and players from outside the region would agree. The disappointing problem is there are only 6 teams.
callop

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:02 pm

callop wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

Have to disagree with your last comment BC. The simple facts are all country leagues outside those on the city fringes are struggling. Towns are shrinking and services are dying. Add to that the fact many potential footballers are having to work Saturdays etc. I'd say most people in any country league would say their standard of competition had dropped in the last 15 years. Geez even the SANFL is dying. However to say the RFL would struggle against most other leagues is nonsense. Have a look at where your fringe A graders play in other competitions and most are still kicking around in A Grade competitions. All countty sport is struggling and the RFL is no different. The competition to really worry about is the Indies and those communities.. I am proud of the RFL and believe it is one of the best run country leagues going round. Our ovals and facilities are equal to any top country league and players from outside the region would agree. The disappointing problem is there are only 6 teams.

I should have stated they would struggle against most other comps with the same population etc. Not talking about the independent or mallee competitions but areas where there are the same amount of people in the community, I think they would definitely struggle against. Having great facilities and how well run the comp is has nothing to do with the standard of the competition. I definitely stand by my original comment.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby OnSong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
callop wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

I should have stated they would struggle against most other comps with the same population etc. Not talking about the independent or mallee competitions but areas where there are the same amount of people in the community, I think they would definitely struggle against. Having great facilities and how well run the comp is has nothing to do with the standard of the competition. I definitely stand by my original comment.

Well you're a dickhead then.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Lead out chest mark » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 pm

OS. How can it be one of the best run country compititions if there is clearly issues with the quality of umpires ?
Lead out chest mark
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Karoonda

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

There's issues with umpire quality everywhere.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:18 am

Wow, Anthony Pierri, I nearly didn't recognise him....without his pony tail! Great pic of him in this week's Pioneer.

Rambo, you're making Loxton North pay for last year, mate.

Some nice spice for this week's Proud Cup with Loxton North coming off a loss and Loxton coming off a second straight win, having not won until this month.

Good luck to Tits and the Evans boys on their milestones. Tits would've been a champion at any club - great loyalty. As for Evans, I've not played with too many tougher, and a quality bloke to boot. Bulla, has been a great servant of Wunkar and could have been a high-quality forward, had he not needed to fill so many other holes for the club over the years. In his last game for Loxton, he played FF in the A grade and bagged a few - would've loved to see what he could have done in that position if he'd stayed on.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby callop » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Couple of big games this week! Rovers v Roos will be a ripper with the loser most likely booking a first semi spot. Winner still in top 2 hunt. If the Rovers win I'd say they'll definitely finish top 2, the Roos win and they possibly only have to beat the loser of North vs Waikerie clash to get the double chance.
The Waikerie v North clash will also likely decide which of these teams definitely finishes in the top 2. Whoever loses will probably hope the Roos knock over the Rovers as they then would have to beat the Roos to get second. This is all assuming none of the top 4 lose to Berri or Loxton. Interesting few weeks coming up!
callop

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Peter Griffen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:43 am

Big game coming up at the Lakeside this Saturday. More or less a Qualifying final. Must have been a decent last qtr from Barmera yesterday.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Darrell Tilbrook played his 300th for Cobby on the weekend. Settled in at full back for the day and was one of the Eagles' better players.
Well done Tilly.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Is that just for Cobby or include Lyrup and Berri as well?.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Basher McCracken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Not a bad win by the Roos today, thought The Panthers might have the wood on the Roos come finals, young Sammy Butterworth for the Roos should go close for the best first year player and Matty Leyson might go very close to the Whillias any thoughts on anybody else who might win the medal this year ?
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Apparently leysons second half of the year has been outstanding. Whether the umps notice is a different matter. Thorpe, Dart, Scott and Walker would be around the mark
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:51 am

Basher McCracken wrote:Not a bad win by the Roos today, thought The Panthers might have the wood on the Roos come finals, young Sammy Butterworth for the Roos should go close for the best first year player and Matty Leyson might go very close to the Whillias any thoughts on anybody else who might win the medal this year ?

How old is Butterworth Basher?
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 am

Good work, Barmera and Rambo.
The Roos had the wood on Loxton North early in the season, with North scoring that win last week.
So it's been a strange ol' season between those two.
Will they meet in the GF?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby David Brent » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Good work, Barmera and Rambo.
The Roos had the wood on Loxton North early in the season, with North scoring that win last week.
So it's been a strange ol' season between those two.
Will they meet in the GF?

Barmera won straight through last year from memory only for North to get when it mattered??

Anyone know what happend to North in the B grade yesty, on paper they have a top team never seem to be able to put it together though.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Basher McCracken » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:18 pm

WellPlayed#9 wrote:
Basher McCracken wrote:Not a bad win by the Roos today, thought The Panthers might have the wood on the Roos come finals, young Sammy Butterworth for the Roos should go close for the best first year player and Matty Leyson might go very close to the Whillias any thoughts on anybody else who might win the medal this year ?

How old is Butterworth Basher?

I'm pretty sure he is only 16
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy