Special Xmas Offer - Ken Eustice book "Pound for Pound&

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Special Xmas Offer - Ken Eustice book "Pound for Pound&

Postby rd » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi Everyone. The perfect (and cheap) Xmas present is available to all SA Footy fans - especially those who love the memorable 50s & 60s decades of SANFL football. A year ago Pound For Pound (The Incredible Journey of Ken Eustice) was released amid much fanfare. The book was a huge hit and is now rated by many people (including many members of this website) to be easily one of the top 5 best books ever about SANFL football. Read everything you want to know about one of the legendary and infamous names of the South Australian football and business worlds. His tough upbringing in the bush and the excitement to be invited to join West Adelaide's star studded squad of the late 1950s. Playing in the 1961 Turkish Bath Grand Final. Winning the 1962 Magarey Medal. Beating the Vics at the MCG in 63. The incredible stresses of being captain-coach of the new chums Central Districts in 1964 & losing every game that debut season. He is probably the only player to have played under and studied the 3 legendary SANFL coaches Oatey, Williams & Kerley. An entire chapter is devoted to Ken's comparisions of the 3 men - compulsory reading. Read about Ken's post football life - owning his own island, helping out Don Dunstan, dabbling in horseracing and winning the 1988 Victoria Derby with King's High. Read on how Ken was worth millions and then how he lost the lot. The mistakes he made in his personal life. This book is still selling in major retail outlets for $25-$30 but I (with Ken's approval) can sell them direct to you for $15. Crazy crazy crazy. All remaining unsold copies have been personally autographed by Ken. The book will NOT be reprinted so this is a last chance offer to get a SANFL bargain! If you're interested, just personally email me and I'll arrange delivery to you. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Last edited by rd on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 pm

I too recommend the book, one of it not the best SANFL book Ive ever read, a fantastic read!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

seriously

Postby dash61 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 pm

until your comments wedgie i was going to say i was waiting for the Paul Ravesi book to come out, so really this isnt a bad book!

Both guys have a clouded history
Last edited by dash61 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dash61

Re: seriously

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:56 am

dash61 wrote:until your comments wedgie i was going to day i was waiting for the Paul Ravesi book to come out, so really its not a bad book

I have no idea what you're saying :?:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby rd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 am

Dash61 - I'm with Wedgie re your comment. Do yourself a favour and order a copy of the book - you will never get a book as good as this for $15 again !!
rd
Under 18s

Postby Ecky » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:18 pm

I've heard nothing but positive reviews about this book but....

I've been looking through the sports sections of quite a few bookshops in the last few days, and all of them still have a heap of copies of this book piled up. Looks like Andrew Jarman's "Jarman Magic" finally has a rival for the most over-printed sports book in SA history! :)

So if you are prepared to wait a year or two, I'm sure people will be giving them away by then, or you will be able to pick it up for a dollar or two from any second hand book shop (alongside 20 copies of each of the books from Max Walker's "How to Hypnotise Chooks" series). :)
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby TroyGFC » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:59 am

helping out Don Dunstan
*!
http://www.palmoilaction.org.au/

JUST SMASH 'EM TIGERS!!
TroyGFC
League - Top 5

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby rd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi Ecky - I'm just curious - have you bought yourself a copy yet of Pound For Pound?
I'm happy to send you one for the advertised price of $15 and I'm sure you'll find yourself captivated by the book like so many other footy fans. You don't have to be a Eustice fan - just a sports fan who enjoys revisting the footy,racing & business scene of a few decades ago. Sure Ken made mistakes and yes he has enemies in this city - but he is not alone in that regard.
Give yourself a treat for this Xmas Ecky - you won't regret it !!
rd
Under 18s

Postby Ecky » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:31 pm

rd wrote:Hi Ecky - I'm just curious - have you bought yourself a copy yet of Pound For Pound?
I'm happy to send you one for the advertised price of $15 and I'm sure you'll find yourself captivated by the book like so many other footy fans. You don't have to be a Eustice fan - just a sports fan who enjoys revisting the footy,racing & business scene of a few decades ago. Sure Ken made mistakes and yes he has enemies in this city - but he is not alone in that regard.
Give yourself a treat for this Xmas Ecky - you won't regret it !!

I have actually been seriously tempted to buy the book, as I am sure I will enjoy reading it (especially the Glenelg-related parts), but have so far put it off because I am a "tight-arse" and am confident I will be able to get it cheaper later on, and have plenty of other interesting books to read for now.
Ecky

Postby rd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:52 pm

$15 is nothing these days Ecky - 2 & bit bottles of Jim Bean Cola at any front bar.
Half a new release CD.
Couple of litres of milk and a few loaves of bread.
A day at a glorious SANFL game with lunch and a drink.
And when you buy the book - you will then discover just how Glenelg stuffed up the 1969 & 1970 Grand Finals.
And just what does Ken Eustice think of the decision by Glenelg to play Royce Hart in the 69 GF?
And you're happy to wait years for these answers when you can get them within a few days for the cost of those lousy just mentioned items ! Come on Ecky - admit it you can't sleep now....
rd
Under 18s

Postby Ecky » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:03 pm

You're a good salesman, rd. :lol:

But at this time of year, the sports part of my brain is 99.5% consumed by cricket (especially after going to 3 days of test cricket in a row and being constantly bombarded by a stream of cricket trivia questions from the guys around me) so I'm happy to wait until footy season to read it.
Ecky

Postby Brad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Ecky is just a tight arse, aren't you Paul!
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby rd » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Brad & Ecky - I'm getting quite a few orders for the books - I have put aside one for each of you and Ecky I'll get Ken Eustice to personally call you if you require more persuasive salesmanship !! Just give me the word fellas and the books will be on their way - ideal reading on Boxing Day should the MCG cricket be washed out !!
rd
Under 18s

Postby Brad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Got a copy already RD!
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby rd » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:10 am

Gee Ecky - even Brad has a copy. Pretty soon you'll be the only SA Footy fan without Pound For Pound in your library....
rd
Under 18s

Postby Plunge Penguin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:51 pm

This sounds awfully like a paid advertisement, all of this... :)
Plunge Penguin
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Plunge Penguin wrote:This sounds awfully like a paid advertisement, all of this... :)

I wish! Don't even get a free book (or even coffee with Ken like he promised me in earlier this year)! :cry:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby rd » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:59 pm

I'm sorry Wedgie that your coffee date never eventuated - I'll remind KE of his oversight.

Psst Plunge Penguin - wanna buy a book ?
rd
Under 18s

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:03 pm

rd wrote:I'm sorry Wedgie that your coffee date never eventuated - I'll remind KE of his oversight.

Psst Plunge Penguin - wanna buy a book ?

I almost said hello to him in the Foyer of the convention centre at the Magarey Medal night but wasn't quite drunk enough at that stage to muster up the courage.
(As opposed to later in the night when Im taking photos of myself and Brett Backwell as well as playing the "Player Manager" role for a very drunk sooky North player).
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby rd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 pm

I just wish to use this forum to thank Wedgie very much for allowing me to advertise $15 copies of Pound For Pound on this site - I have now sold out of all the copies that I had - thanks to the demand from you true SANFL fans out there.
If anyone is still interested in a book you can still contact me and I will arrange one for you.
Oh - Wedgie - I have reminded Ken Eustice of his coffee date with you - he is very keen to meet you and personally thank you for all your assistance with Pound For Pound and also everything you give to SANFL football in general.
Well done son.
rd
Under 18s

Board index   Football  SANFL