HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Amateur Footy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

Have heard Metro South clubs voted 7-6 to deny Mt Lofty juniors playing in the comp. Too far to travel being mentioned but I think was a secret ballot last night. Does that leave Lofty any options other than to play Country juniors and negotiate with Hills to adjust the draw to get as many games in as possible even if it means juniors don't always play in front of seniors?
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 am

Amateur Footy wrote:Have heard Metro South clubs voted 7-6 to deny Mt Lofty juniors playing in the comp. Too far to travel being mentioned but I think was a secret ballot last night. Does that leave Lofty any options other than to play Country juniors and negotiate with Hills to adjust the draw to get as many games in as possible even if it means juniors don't always play in front of seniors?

Not surprised at this as one of the metro south clubs formed out of a group of people who thought Cove and Morphett Vale was too far to travel in the SFL.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Champ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:Have heard Metro South clubs voted 7-6 to deny Mt Lofty juniors playing in the comp. Too far to travel being mentioned but I think was a secret ballot last night. Does that leave Lofty any options other than to play Country juniors and negotiate with Hills to adjust the draw to get as many games in as possible even if it means juniors don't always play in front of seniors?

So basically Mt Lofty are now facing the same situaiton that Echunga faced for a long time. Don't you hate it when you sit on your hands only to find out you're now in the firing line... Country div should've been looked at by the Central clubs a long time ago.
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby tedbullpit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:50 pm

In recruiting news I hear former North Adelaide player Tim Delvins will be suiting up for Uraidla next season.
tedbullpit
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Gervais » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:56 pm

tedbullpit wrote:In recruiting news I hear former North Adelaide player Tim Delvins will be suiting up for Uraidla next season.

uraidla are a club struggling to field all three junior teams, yet where do they spend their money, on more sanfl imports. all you can do it shake your head.
Gervais
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time

Postby Champ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Gervais wrote:
tedbullpit wrote:In recruiting news I hear former North Adelaide player Tim Delvins will be suiting up for Uraidla next season.

uraidla are a club struggling to field all three junior teams, yet where do they spend their money, on more sanfl imports. all you can do it shake your head.

Do ypou think that some of the science is that if the seniors are successful the juniors will come..? If so, would it work?
From the outside looking in it sounds like Uraidla are accused of a Torrens Valley model of football manangement?
Champ
Under 18s

Postby Lake » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:28 pm

What do you propose Uraidla do Gervais? Start paying their junior players?
Seems like that would create a very unhealthy culture of juniors feeling entitled to be paid. I dont think that the fact that uraidla pays some players (probably a whole lot less than you think) has anything to do with the fact that they are struggling for junior players. I think its more the fact that uraidla and the surrounding district's is just a small place with a downturn in young boys in the district at the moment and so they find it hard to fill the teams.
Lake
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Gervais » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Lake wrote:What do you propose Uraidla do Gervais? Start paying their junior players?
Seems like that would create a very unhealthy culture of juniors feeling entitled to be paid. I dont think that the fact that uraidla pays some players (probably a whole lot less than you think) has anything to do with the fact that they are struggling for junior players. I think its more the fact that uraidla and the surrounding district's is just a small place with a downturn in young boys in the district at the moment and so they find it hard to fill the teams.

who suggested anything about paying junior players ?

maybe some of the cash being spent by uraidla on senior players could be redirected towards a junior program. i'm aware of clubs in outer metro leagues in melbourne who are employing a junior development officer to engage with local schools, promote themselves at community events, and development junior programs that are attractive to parents. cost is minimal (roughly one day per week).

dont know about you, but i think would be a wiser investment that paying an ex sanfl player to play a grade.
Gervais
Under 16s

Postby Lake » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:48 pm

I think you'll find that they have many people working very hard to try and encourage juniors to come to the club. I don't think paying a player has any effect on junior numbers what so ever
Lake
Mini-League

Postby supercoach » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 pm

I think you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that the teams with a town as a centre are the teams that don't struggle. Blind freddy could run a junior program at Mt barker, Blackwood, Hahndorf, Bridgy, Lofty, Lobey etc as they have sizeable populations to chose from. I know through talking with some people at Ironbank they are getting a few Lofty kids calling simply because they did not want to play down town or travel in country. I can see a club like that aided by the Jarman factor will draw kids and parents to the club. They like Uraidla do a gr8 job in attracting kids with absolutely no help from the HFL. TV are in the same boat. Until the HFL bite the bullet and limit 1 team per club per grade until all clubs fill their teams and limit lists to 28 as they do down town then absolutely nothing will change. The big towns will squeal that kids then wont play but that is frog sh....... Central clubs cant also field country teams until all central clubs have 25-28 players each. Works well in country Victoria but then I hear all you do gooders say population bla bla bla.........in other words you don't give a damn about anyone except your own club.............. :D :D :D
supercoach
Rookie

Postby cracka » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 pm

supercoach wrote:I think you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that the teams with a town as a centre are the teams that don't struggle. Blind freddy could run a junior program at Mt barker, Blackwood, Hahndorf, Bridgy, Lofty, Lobey etc as they have sizeable populations to chose from. I know through talking with some people at Ironbank they are getting a few Lofty kids calling simply because they did not want to play down town or travel in country. I can see a club like that aided by the Jarman factor will draw kids and parents to the club. They like Uraidla do a gr8 job in attracting kids with absolutely no help from the HFL. TV are in the same boat. Until the HFL bite the bullet and limit 1 team per club per grade until all clubs fill their teams and limit lists to 28 as they do down town then absolutely nothing will change. The big towns will squeal that kids then wont play but that is frog sh....... Central clubs cant also field country teams until all central clubs have 25-28 players each. Works well in country Victoria but then I hear all you do gooders say population bla bla bla.........in other words you don't give a damn about anyone except your own club.............. :D :D :D

It's not frogsh..... we tried last year for excess players to help Gum & this year to help Uraidla. The kids won't do it, they would rather miss out on games & run water for their teammates than fill in elsewhere or they WILL give up footy. It happened at Blackwood this year where out of seven kids they sent to Ironbank, six gave it away.
Would hate to be the person to say to any kid "sorry you're not good enough, we've got enough players, you'll have to go elsewhere"
What country league in Victoria caps teams & player numbers.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Champ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 am

Lets put things in perspective.
Uraidla have some money to spend and unfortunately do not have a strong junior base. Without fail their reign at the top will soon come to an end; we've seen this by the demise of Mt Lofty for whatever reason.
It is not Uraidla's fault as to why the HFL juniors as an entirety are in the condition they are.

The HFL and ALL Clubs must come together to actively solve this problem as one. Do not simply involve the presidents; here's a novel idea - how about a Sunday BBQ "Junior Think Tank' where all clubs come together with a facilitator and openly prepare a PLAN!
This rubbish about a kid missing out every other week and not wanting to change clubs is the real bullshit. If every club had a similar/same program then kids would feel at home anywhere!
Novel idea number 2 for the morning = how about all clubs chip in for a HFL Junior Development Officer.

Time ot stop flinging dog shit over our neighbours fences and realise where the shit came from in the first place. Even the so called 'good' junior programs should have a vested interest in adiing the entire competition! I suspect your programs are good due ot the weight of numbers but its no good not having anyone to play is it...

By the way, I asked several kids recently who Andrew Jarman was.... they had no idea whatsoever... huge pulling factor there....
Champ
Under 18s

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:46 am

It's not the HFL's fault that the juniors as an entirety are in the condition they are either. The clubs do have to take some responsibility rather than just blame everyone else.
All clubs do come together every month & discuss the junior issues.
It's not bullshit, coz it has happened in the past at Onkas (we helped out TV when they were in country div & those kids never played football again) & this year at Blackwood 6 out of 7 kids no longer play footy.
The HFL already have a junior development officer, Owen. There was a chance at the AGM for someone new to step up but nobody has the balls to do the job only to be bagged all the time.
We keep hearing at the junior meetings that we will end up with only 4 or 5 junior sides playing each other, that's the biggest load of bullshit that gets spoken about each meeting.
cracka
Veteran

Postby grasshopper22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 am

Meningie Football club in the River Murray Football League are looking for a couple of trial games, dates available are 22nd and 29th of march, would like 1 of those to be at Meningie and will return the favour the following year, plz pm me if interested and can then exchange contact details etc and go from there. Cheers
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Champ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:27 pm

cracka wrote:It's not the HFL's fault that the juniors as an entirety are in the condition they are either. The clubs do have to take some responsibility rather than just blame everyone else.
All clubs do come together every month & discuss the junior issues.
It's not bullshit, coz it has happened in the past at Onkas (we helped out TV when they were in country div & those kids never played football again) & this year at Blackwood 6 out of 7 kids no longer play footy.
The HFL already have a junior development officer, Owen. There was a chance at the AGM for someone new to step up but nobody has the balls to do the job only to be bagged all the time.
We keep hearing at the junior meetings that we will end up with only 4 or 5 junior sides playing each other, that's the biggest load of bullshit that gets spoken about each meeting.

Oh look its NO ONES FAULT! ITS EVERAYONES FAULT! ITs SANTA CLAUSES FAULT! FFS ITS YOUR FAULT! ITS MY FAULT!
Did ANY of that fix the problem?!
Read what I wrote, having the SAME people come together monthly to discuss a problem and not reach a solution is stupidity no matter which way you look at it or sook about it! However having a facilitated meeting of capable open minded, football first thinking people from each club who come together in a structured planning session is a little different and some what .... good business in the real world :shock:
Arguably the sooky kids you say quit were either always going to quit or were hardly playing anyway! Or wait, you're indicating that if you tell a kid he can run water every other week instead of playing because he's not in your top 21 will keep in the game.
Again if all clubs structured up the same way, same principles, created like environments then kids would feel far more welcome to a new scenario - thats pretty basic group dynamics though is it not.
Champ
Under 18s

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Rather than rant, tell us who's fault it IS then.
No shit having the same people come together each month & achieve nothing is stupidity. How about you come along to a junior directors meeting & offer some constructive thoughts rather than crap on this forum.
You're probably right that the sooky kids would quit anyway but those are the kids the clubs who have excess players will send over. All it will do is WEAKEN the LEAGUE & bigger clubs, NOT strengthen the league or smaller clubs.
You're last line hit the nail on the head, maybe the clubs who have good junior numbers ARE structured differently & focus on the club as a whole, not just the seniors.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Actually I was wrong on one point. Capping sides WILL make the bigger clubs stronger. If a club has 40 kids in 2 teams & are forced to cap numbers at 25-28 & only have 1 team, they will obviously choose the best players & send the rest to another club where maybe 2-3 keep playing. Then we still have the smaller clubs needing players & continuing to blame the HFL for all the problems with the juniors.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Champ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:27 pm

cracka wrote:Rather than rant, tell us who's fault it IS then.
No shit having the same people come together each month & achieve nothing is stupidity. How about you come along to a junior directors meeting & offer some constructive thoughts rather than crap on this forum.
You're probably right that the sooky kids would quit anyway but those are the kids the clubs who have excess players will send over. All it will do is WEAKEN the LEAGUE & bigger clubs, NOT strengthen the league or smaller clubs.
You're last line hit the nail on the head, maybe the clubs who have good junior numbers ARE structured differently & focus on the club as a whole, not just the seniors.

Really... I'm ranting... If I am I'm clearly not alone.
Still I haven't heard a solution from you and you seem to be the resident HFL genius.
Which position do you currently fullfill and will i expect to see you at the meeting?
Champ
Under 18s

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Champ wrote:Really... I'm ranting... If I am I'm clearly not alone.
Still I haven't heard a solution from you and you seem to be the resident HFL genius.
Which position do you currently fullfill and will i expect to see you at the meeting?

You are definitely not alone in ranting on here. There's too many keyboard warriors on here who hide behind an alias & don't even put the actual club their allegiance is with (unless there has been a major shake up that no one knows about, Wunkar are not in the HFL) but still make comments on how the process should work without having even been involved in the process.
I have posted my solution plenty of times before but will save you the trouble of trying to find it. If there are 2 neighbouring clubs both struggling with junior numbers then a merger could be the solution. The word genius gets bandied around way too much so I cant accept that honour but thanks for the nomination.
I am on the Onkas Junior committee & am the HFL junior rep from Onkas who goes to all the meetings so yes you will see me there. Even went to the AGM & will be going to the 2nd AGM in February. I'll take a wild guess & say you're not on any committee of any HFL club & haven't been to any HFL meetings.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Champ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:49 pm

cracka wrote:
Champ wrote:Really... I'm ranting... If I am I'm clearly not alone.

You are definitely not alone in ranting on here. There's too many keyboard warriors on here who hide behind an alias & don't even put the actual club their allegiance is with (unless there has been a major shake up that no one knows about, Wunkar are not in the HFL) but still make comments on how the process should work without having even been involved in the process.
I have posted my solution plenty of times before but will save you the trouble of trying to find it. If there are 2 neighbouring clubs both struggling with junior numbers then a merger could be the solution. The word genius gets bandied around way too much so I cant accept that honour but thanks for the nomination.
I am on the Onkas Junior committee & am the HFL junior rep from Onkas who goes to all the meetings so yes you will see me there. Even went to the AGM & will be going to the 2nd AGM in February. I'll take a wild guess & say you're not on any committee of any HFL club & haven't been to any HFL meetings.

Hahahaha you're taking a stab at me personally but I like being a 'Warrior' it has a great tone to it! Especially if you say it with a deep voice and slowly.
Anyway, thank you for allowing me to rev you up; maybe next time you attend a meeting it will spur you onto leading positive action beyond the scheduling of the next meeting date :roll:
Champ
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy