HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Legs Man » Thu May 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Depth will always be a problem for a town with a small population which Echunga is.

It is noticeable though that Echunga is starting to find its feet with respect to the speed and style of play in Central.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby chopper7 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Legs Man wrote:Depth will always be a problem for a town with a small population which Echunga is.

It is noticeable though that Echunga is starting to find its feet with respect to the speed and style of play in Central.

Legs man pls.... Echunga suffered its worst defeat since being back up in Central on the weekend and you're here sprucing around saying they are finding their feet?? They got ran off their feet by Lobethal on the weekend and quite simply could match the pace of the game, yet you believe their pace is okay? Their style of kick long down the line doesn't work in Central, defends lick their lips when long balls fly in. They whinge and carry on like country div footballers because they aren't getting everything their own way. Sam Cranna is severely over rated. Cheer man!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu May 01, 2014 2:23 pm

I was simply stating that the team is taking a few games to get the style and pace of Central and have improved each week.

Certainly Lobey were better than Echunga in most aspects and played a game style that is vastly different to what Country play.

I couldn't hear much whingeing from the sidelines - and thought Echunga was quick off the blocks.

Lobey actually looked slow for the first 10 minutes. (that was all though)

Echunga wont win the flag but will scare lots of sides and win a few.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby chopper7 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Legs Man wrote:I was simply stating that the team is taking a few games to get the style and pace of Central and have improved each week.

Certainly Lobey were better than Echunga in most aspects and played a game style that is vastly different to what Country play.

I couldn't hear much whingeing from the sidelines - and thought Echunga was quick off the blocks.

Lobey actually looked slow for the first 10 minutes. (that was all though)

Echunga wont win the flag but will scare lots of sides and win a few.

How can you state they have improved when yet they lost by their biggest margin yet? Got me puzzled!
chopper7
Under 16s

Postby Amateur Footy » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

In Echunga's defence they've probably had the toughest opening 3 rounds of any team in Central. Perhaps the improvement will come against the lower sides.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Champ » Thu May 01, 2014 5:19 pm

StickyFingers wrote:Most teams would probably have several first choice players out by now with injuries etc... need the depth to be able to cover them.

Yeah everyone is missing 6+ players and the entire competition is playing below pah....
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby FairDinkum » Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 pm

It would be a lucky side to get through each week playing all their first choice players, so depth is important, that's where Echunga will either rise or fall and from what their A2's showed it could be a long season, if you're going to promote 4 juniors each week then good luck with that, we only had a couple of colts playing and we had 7 first choice A graders out, is that right Chop ?
FairDinkum
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby chopper7 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 am

FairDinkum wrote:It would be a lucky side to get through each week playing all their first choice players, so depth is important, that's where Echunga will either rise or fall and from what their A2's showed it could be a long season, if you're going to promote 4 juniors each week then good luck with that, we only had a couple of colts playing and we had 7 first choice A graders out, is that right Chop ?

Spot on Fairdinkum! If ya b graders are only kicking 1 point in a match ya definitely going to struggle to find depth.
chopper7
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 11:07 am

Agreed depth is the name of the game - particularly in Central.

Of the 3 sides Echunga has played Lobey were the strongest to date which is why i stated that improvement was noticeable.

Improvement can be judged by many different parameters and from a club standpoint they improved again.

Taking only the losing margin into account is too simplistic as a means of equating improvement.

Unless you take into consideration individual and team goals you are not able to gauge where a team is at.

I hope this provides an insight into the reasoning.

Echunga has a defined road to success with it's Central inclusion and is taking it one step at a time.

Interesting to hear feedback from other clubs and how they achieve success but i reckon each club would have it's own path to follow.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:52 am

Legs Man wrote:Depth will always be a problem for a town with a small population which Echunga is.

What a cop out, making excuses already...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby the_grinch » Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am

It's only 3 rounds in. Don't go writing Echunga off yet. They were in it untill half time vs Uraidla, probably should have beaten Ironbank and were competitive against Lobethal who are a very strong side and in the best form. They will probably beat any team who is having a slightly off day and will definitely pull some wins very soon.
the_grinch
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby The Panther » Fri May 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I didn't see the Lobethal game but from talking to those who did , yes Echunga were misssing a few . To be succesful though you do need to cover injuries etc. and the clubs that can the best often find themselves playing finals.

Going up a division always is a learning experience and if Echunga can stay up for next season they should be in a better position.

My thoughts are the Dees are a real good shot at home against Blackwood this week. Especially if it keeps raining.

Cranna got the points in ruck in rounds one and two. Big test this week again vs Lucas Herbert.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 pm

It is certainly a steep learning curve coming from Country to Central - but one Echunga is embracing.

Not a cop out re town population - it is a fact!

There are no excuses being forwarded re Echunga's position to date just an explanation as to where the club is at.

Should be a fairly even match at Dee Park tomorrow with a couple of additions into Echunga's side.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm

According to the 2006 Census, Echunga has a population of 846 people v Uraidla's 461.
That's almost double! You should have belted them if success was based on population?
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

overthehill wrote:According to the 2006 Census, Echunga has a population of 846 people v Uraidla's 461.
That's almost double! You should have belted them if success was based on population?

Add Ironbank and TV....

Its not population in the Hills, its how hard you are prepared to work
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Typical Mt barker response with the biggest population in the Adelaide Hills.

By that logic Mt barker should have won the last 10 flags and been undefeated every year.

Simply stated that small population means it is harder as a club - and hence Echunga won the majority of underage teams games against Uraidla.

Population doesn't equate to dollars invested in buying players though of course. (AKA Uraidla, Ironbank, TV, Onkas )

Pity Mt Barker has so many junior sides but is reticent to help solve the dilemma facing many Hills clubs in this area.

BTW 2006 is a while ago and Echunga is unable to grow much due to town boundaries. Mt barker has over 30,000.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby bailey39 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah never understood how there is only one club in Mt barker should be 2 or 3 atleast.
bailey39
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Yellow & Black » Fri May 02, 2014 2:45 pm

I thought Echunga did a reasonable job last week. From the sidelines, seemed like a proud Club who are hell bent on staying in Central Div next year. Obviously got a couple of great sponsors/donors or an unbelievable Social scene to compliment a hardworking Committee. They've talked up their facilities so looking forward to the return game later this year, beats travelling to Mountain Goat park (which will probably be on the cards again next year, but hopefully Nairne has something to say about that).

Very even comp, no one can be taken lightly. Only 3 rounds in but I'd suggest 5 or 6 teams would be thinking premiership window is open.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 3:31 pm

In all honesty the decision to go to Central div was a hard one - but the junior situation was the deciding factor.

If we stayed in country we effectively would be without junior sides within 2-3 years and in a dire situation.

As a club we have invested heavily in facilities with our oval, lights and canteen infrastructure hoping this would present a good all round attraction for local families and the community as a whole.

My biggest gripe is with the league itself who are dominated in their decision making with respect to junior football by the stronger clubs who have good stocks to choose from.

Echunga had to prove junior numbers prior to even being accepted into Central even though they had technically qualified for the step up.

Fortunately the hard work has paid off with competitive junior sides being fielded albeit at a lesser level than the powerhouse clubs.

The league has an agenda of self promotion - not competition promotion from what I can glean and this will not maintain hills football moving forward.

I respect anyone that actually works towards the betterment of football as a whole in the hills - not just for their own backyard which seems to be the underlying tone with Hills football.

This was most prevalent with Central div match programming, the underhanded way the league dealt with Echunga and Mt Lofty during the relegation / promotion saga, and the 2 faced verballing by high ranking league officials.

I have been involved with hills footy for many years now and have never encountered a worse situation than the current one with juniors and a lopsided Country division which will not be fixed while the league is a toothless tiger dictated to by the powerhouse clubs (we all know who these are)

I understand that it is a volunteer situation - but as shown recently just because you volunteer doesn't mean you are good at steering the hills league moving forward.

There are some tough decisions to be made if the league is to prosper - but I can't see this happening while the current situation with the League remains.

The number of teams should have been increased to accommodate both Echunga and Nairne along with Mt lofty in Central div to grow our competition - not kept at a number to pander to individual clubs and their protective agenda.

What the league did to Mt Lofty was disgraceful when it meant that the divide was increased between Country and Central and that the possibility was presented of losing junior footballers.

it is my belief that the surrounding clubs of Mt lofty were licking their lips hoping to pick up disgruntled juniors not prepared to travel or play in Country div and set their voting to gain this opportunity. (shame on these clubs and shame on the league for allowing this)

I really don't know how this can be fixed as my confidence in the league's decision making is at an all time low and it would be even more disastrous to allow a few strong clubs to set up a league they are only comfortable within.

Sorry for the rant - but it has been brewing for a while - long live Hills footy!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Oh - and to not have any night fixtures at Echunga is a disgrace when the club has spent substantial money to make this available.
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy