HICKS DECISION

Anything!

Re: HICKS DECISION

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 am

He's just cleaning his RPG ... nothing remarkable about that.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 am

He won't be suing the Australian Government, will he??? They didn't hold him for 7 years.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 am

woodublieve12 wrote:It's irrelevant who backed who (America backed them when the soviets were in that patch of the planet) regarding Hicks! you still have to pick sides and he picked the side which ended up shooting at and killing our own. You can say he never shot australians, that's irrelevant too. He would hve if he wasn't caught!!
Got off on a technicality!
I know he will but I wish he never gets a cent to tell his story...

Yep normal

Him picking the 'wrong side' still doesn't justify what was done to him.

Also, I wouldn't have thought that behaviour of the 'right side' would involve detention without charge and torture.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am

Q. wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:It's irrelevant who backed who (America backed them when the soviets were in that patch of the planet) regarding Hicks! you still have to pick sides and he picked the side which ended up shooting at and killing our own. You can say he never shot australians, that's irrelevant too. He would hve if he wasn't caught!!

Yep normal

Him picking the 'wrong side' still doesn't justify what was done to him.

Also, I wouldn't have thought that behaviour of the 'right side' would involve detention without charge and torture.

Is the US the "right side"? It seems as though everything is cool, as long as they are doing it.
Wasn't the war on Iraq to find the hidden underground bases and weapons of mass destruction shunned by the UN only for the US to say "stuff you guys, we're going in anyway".

I'm very anti-war, I don't think David is a saint, I do think that he should not have been held captive for as long as he did without reason, it's inhumane and doesn't portray the US as "the good guys" like they think they are.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 am

The majority of us think he was in the wrong place and should not have been where he was.
The majority of us think he should have been charged and jailed.

But this is where, for me, the debate centres:

If he was so guilty (which is what the majority of us think), why the hell did the Americans have to create a trumped-up charge that had no basis in law? It's pretty obvious he was guilty of something and should have been jailed, why and how did the Americans screw it up so badly that they couldn't charge him with an existing law that would not see his conviction overturned?

David Hick is Australia's new Ned Kelly - he's become a folk hero to the disaffected because, while he may have been guilty, he was persecuted by the law and treated unfairly. He has become a pariah and as time progresses and the basis of his story becomes shrouded in the mists of time, his myth will grow. All because the Americans went above the rule of law and were supported by the Australian government.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am

I think you're on the money DW.

Quite ironic when you consider the public support for 2 Australians who are incarcerated in Indonesia because they have committed crimes but have significant public sympathy because of the sentence handed down to them.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:18 am

Yep normal

to be fair, that photo on its own doesnt mean much to me. there are several countries that you can travel to, and "play" with a variety of guns that arent even close to being legal here in this country. others have been photographed/filmed holding/using them and it hasnt meant they were terrorists. hell, id love to have a go with something like that (in the appropriate circumstances of course, ie, a firing range), making stuff go boom is actually quite fun

not commenting on anything else that is alleged to have happened, im not sure where i sit on the whole story myself. but just that the photo, in isolation, means very little
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:20 am

Should we have locked up these fells as well?

Although I wouldn't complain if we locked up this one ...

dedja
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:25 am

are you seriously comparing some lads on a trip in vegas and some crazy politician to guy who willinging went to fight for a terrorist group???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:28 am

Just using examples to highlight that one photo on it's own doesn't prove much
dedja
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 am

no, i believe Dedj is comparing a picture of a guy with a gun, with other photos of guys with guns. you used the photo of hicks to suggest he isnt normal.

personally im not getting into the rest of the argument, as im not sure what my opinion is to be honest. im just commenting that the photo alone isnt enough to show he did anything wrong.

edit, lol, dedj just beat me to it
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 am

Pretty damning evidence ...

dedja
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 am

:lol: that's pretty funny...

i do see your point. i personally have zero time for the individual...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:01 am

Here's a candidate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 am

hmmm, brb, hiding my nerf gun collection....

wait, i mean the kids nerf gun collection....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:34 am

Better take this guy off the telly too then:

Hasta La Vista - Abey! ;)

Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Any one that thinks this dog still deserves to breath or even be allowed back into this country should read his letters he was sending home. He was a terrorist, he is a terrorist he will always be a terrorist. He trained with terrorist groups and had meet his "lovely brother" osama bin laden multiple times. He was fighting the war against the western world after the 9/11 attacks and knew exactly what he was doing. The US should treated him like they treated his brother when he was caught.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... 1115167069
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Still doesn't justify detainment without charge for seven years and torture.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:47 pm

kickinit wrote: He was fighting the war against the western world after the 9/11 attacks and knew exactly what he was doing

If you'd bother to do five minutes of reading you'd realise that after fighting with the Kosovo Liberation Army he went to the middle east to fight for the Kashmiri insurgency on the India Pakistan border.

America invaded Afghanistan at the time he was in the region. Doesn't equate to him 'fighting the war against the western world' and the above facts have been acknowledged by the US.
Q.
Coach

Postby kickinit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Q. wrote:
kickinit wrote: He was fighting the war against the western world after the 9/11 attacks and knew exactly what he was doing

If you'd bother to do five minutes of reading you'd realise that after fighting with the Kosovo Liberation Army he went to the middle east to fight for the Kashmiri insurgency on the India Pakistan border.

America invaded Afghanistan at the time he was in the region. Doesn't equate to him 'fighting the war against the western world' and the above facts have been acknowledged by the US.

Maybe if you had bothered to do 5mins of reading you would of known about his hate towards the western world and how Allah will rule the western world. And how they are prepared to go to war with the western world. You do realise that hicks pleaded guilty to the charge and has also admitted to training with terrorist. Anyone that wants to call osama bin laden his brother deserves nothing but a bullet in his head.

As much as you want to fight it Q Hicks is a terrorist and given the chance he would of been shooting at our soldiers. Shooting at the men and women that protect this country.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion