HICKS DECISION

Anything!

Re: HICKS DECISION

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 pm

He was critical of Western intervention. I am, does that make me a terrorist?

His 'confession' came under duress that included beatings, isolation, sleep deprivation and sexual abuse. No evidence was established that he received terrorist training, a claim backed by the Australian Military, and it's been well documented that he never broke any laws.

Western Forces were not in Kunduz while he was there and was actually on his way back to Australia when he was captured. The fact remains, he never fired a shot outside of the basic military training he received in Kosovo and Pakistan.

You patriotic histrionics in your last sentence aren't evidence of anything.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:13 am

I'm with Q on this one.

Hicks may have been mislead or deluded, but at the time he was not involved in fighting Australians, and where Australia was not already involved in a particular struggle as an ally of the US there was also no reason an Australian could not also choose to fight against US forces. An Australian fighting Australian forces is perhaps a different matter, although I could imagine circumstances where one's conscience may make it seem the right thing to do if Australia were acting illegally or despicably.

As I argued to Alexander Downer at the time, it was inappropriate to allow any foreign power to hold an Australian citizen without trial and proper representation and without his rights being protected, under any circumstances, but particularly when he had broken no Australian law or International law existent at the time, nor committed any offence on US soil where US law may apply.

I agree too that he had to plead guilty as it was his only hope of ever being released - a plea under great duress.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 am

Just imagine for a moment if Hicks was held in custody in the same manner as Guantanamo Bay by another country, say Russia, Egypt, Iran, Syria or North Korea for example.

Would the reaction of the Australian government and public have been the same?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:05 am

dedja wrote:Just imagine for a moment if Hicks was held in custody in the same manner as Guantanamo Bay by another country, say Russia, Egypt, Iran, Syria or North Korea for example.

It would have been if he was an australian soldier... Otherwise I couldn't care less about him ...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby whufc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
dedja wrote:Just imagine for a moment if Hicks was held in custody in the same manner as Guantanamo Bay by another country, say Russia, Egypt, Iran, Syria or North Korea for example.

It would have been if he was an australian soldier... Otherwise I couldn't care less about him ...

Or if they were openly guilty drug smugglers
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby kickinit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Q. wrote:He was critical of Western intervention. I am, does that make me a terrorist?

His 'confession' came under duress that included beatings, isolation, sleep deprivation and sexual abuse. No evidence was established that he received terrorist training, a claim backed by the Australian Military, and it's been well documented that he never broke any laws.

Western Forces were not in Kunduz while he was there and was actually on his way back to Australia when he was captured. The fact remains, he never fired a shot outside of the basic military training he received in Kosovo and Pakistan.

You patriotic histrionics in your last sentence aren't evidence of anything.

No evidence of receiving terrorist training? He openly admitted to training with Lashkar-e-Taiba a terrorist organisation. Which Has supported the taliban fight against US, Australia and the northern alliance. He didn't receive "terrorist training" (which is classified as bomb making and flying planes into buildings etc) but he did receive combat training by a terrorist organisation, which to this day he has never denied about doing. Only the other day his lawyer said his fight on this case was never about what he was doing, it was only about the legality of the charge.

If you actually think it's ok the train with a terrorist organisation, that has supports terrorist attacks against our country and our allies then go a head jump on a plane and go fight with them. Go and ask anyone that has lost someone from a terrorist attack and ask them how they feel about someone training with a terrorist group.

David Hicks will always be a terrorist.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Dont offen agree with kickinit but I do in this case. Would of been a lot easier if they had just put a bullet in him straight away
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby king neptune » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 pm

'Boo hoo the poor man was just having a holiday in Afghanistan and didn't deserve to be locked up and tortured'

You lay down with dogs, you get fleas. Simple as that.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 pm

When people post like this, I think that they only believe in legal fairness when it suits them. Right or wrong, he's from our country (to turn a well-known phrase around) and our country expects people to be treated within the law and receive a fair trial - whether right or wrong.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:When people post like this, I think that they only believe in legal fairness when it suits them. Right or wrong, he's from our country (to turn a well-known phrase around) and our country expects people to be treated within the law and receive a fair trial - whether right or wrong.

my thoughts are if you want to train with a terrorist group then you don't even deserve a trial. These groups kill innocent people just because they are brainwashed by some idiot that thinks he is the next hitler. Why would we even bother with a person that has the thought of killing innocent australians just because of something that is made up. Hicks so called "brothers" were ready to go to war with the western world and with out doubt he would of shot at Australian soldiers if he had the chance. It would be interesting what everyones thoughts would be if he did shoot at them.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:25 pm

kickinit wrote:Go and ask anyone that has lost someone from a terrorist attack and ask them how they feel about someone training with a terrorist group.

The same emotive argument could be mounted against the US and it's Allies and the many civilian deaths they are responsible for.

There's no moral superiority when one side is as guilty as the other.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:30 pm

kickinit wrote: Hicks so called "brothers" were ready to go to war with the western world and with out doubt he would of shot at Australian soldiers if he had the chance. It would be interesting what everyones thoughts would be if he did shoot at them.

A speculative argument that has no factual grounding.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:31 pm

kickinit wrote:my thoughts are if you want to train with a terrorist group then you don't even deserve a trial. These groups kill innocent people just because they are brainwashed by some idiot that thinks he is the next hitler. Why would we even bother with a person that has the thought of killing innocent australians just because of something that is made up.

George Bush frequently reference religion in his rhetoric before the Iraq invasion that killed many innocent people. Again, there is no moral superiority in this argument.
Q.
Coach

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Q. wrote:
kickinit wrote:Go and ask anyone that has lost someone from a terrorist attack and ask them how they feel about someone training with a terrorist group.

The same emotive argument could be mounted against the US and it's Allies and the many civilian deaths they are responsible for.

There's no moral superiority when one side is as guilty as the other.

Its that the ones were the taliban try to make out they are innocent civilians? Which happens a lot over there. Or when a civilian doesn't obey orders and to protect themselves they shot. The Afghan people want the troops there, they are doing more good then harm. There not going through farms and kicking people out of their homes like the Taliban. They are also not going through peoples homes and killing them unless they come and fight for them either.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 pm

Q. wrote:
kickinit wrote: Hicks so called "brothers" were ready to go to war with the western world and with out doubt he would of shot at Australian soldiers if he had the chance. It would be interesting what everyones thoughts would be if he did shoot at them.

Its actually called the truth and to this day he still hasn't denied it. The reason why he hasn't denied it is because he knows the US has the evidence. If the US had no proof of it then he wouldn't of been fighting his charge on a legality basis.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Q. wrote:
kickinit wrote:my thoughts are if you want to train with a terrorist group then you don't even deserve a trial. These groups kill innocent people just because they are brainwashed by some idiot that thinks he is the next hitler. Why would we even bother with a person that has the thought of killing innocent australians just because of something that is made up.

George Bush frequently reference religion in his rhetoric before the Iraq invasion that killed many innocent people. Again, there is no moral superiority in this argument.

You seriously going to compare bush reference to religion to a terrorist reference to religion. Clutching at straws now Q.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 am

kickinit wrote:
Q. wrote:

Its actually called the truth and to this day he still hasn't denied it. The reason why he hasn't denied it is because he knows the US has the evidence. If the US had no proof of it then he wouldn't of been fighting his charge on a legality basis.

The truth is that he never shot at Western forces. You're using speculation based on your opinion that he may have if given the chance. Fact is, he didn't.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 am

kickinit wrote:
Q. wrote:

You seriously going to compare bush reference to religion to a terrorist reference to religion. Clutching at straws now Q.

You're clutching at straws claiming the moral high ground.

You want to believe it's different, but it's not.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 am

I've not read all the comments, but does it matter who he was training to / or was fighting against?

If, say, he was training with a rebel group in the Ukraine to fight Russian troops, does that make him guilt of terrorism, or is it only because he was reportedly training with a group who inflicted pain and suffering upon Australians?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 am

Seemingly, no one is worried about his time in Kosovo.
Admittedly, though, they aren't brown people.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion