Stupid ,drunk,or just a footballer?

Anything!

Stupid ,drunk,or just a footballer?

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:05 am

After we have all read the 'Tiser this morning,what is your opinion on the Goodwin incident?

I think there was few interesting points made in the story.

1: Footballers,like all of us,are entitled to privacy,but,they know the amount of scrutiny they are under,so why oh why give the media a chance ?

2: I wonder what the Cows boss' thoughts are on the alleged comment by Ruccuito regarding,run these photos and no Cow will deal with the 'Tiser.Yeah right.

3:How smart are these blokes? Do they ever consider having a few drinks at a private residence? Why must they do this in public,they know what is going to happen.

4: I cant stand any of them and I am loving it!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Rushby Hinds » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:47 am

man + beer = idiot.

Seriously, they should have known way better, it was always going to end in tears.

Bloody idiots, the AFC will be as shirty as hell.
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:49 am

Nice avatar Borat. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Kahuna » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:44 pm

Drunk,stupid or whatever did it really warrant the coverage it got?Five pages including the front page and even the cartoon on the letters page.Has the rest of the world closed down for Christmas?Pity our (only) daily paper couldn,t delve as deeply into some things that matter rather than blow its trumpet exposing these blokes as being just blokes not the demi-gods that the same paper worships ad nauseum. Bread and circusses.Off to my local now to fuel up for Christmas cheer.Best Wishes to all on this site for Christmas and beyond.Cheers to all
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby WRxb0y » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:55 pm

Who really cares what happened.

I am sure there are other more interesting NEWS items in the world or the state, that could make the front page of the tiser.
Shit, I am not surprised that the AFC have been approached by New Idea or something to get a cover story of it...
Doin it Doggie Style !! 2008
WRxb0y
Rookie

Postby Dog_ger » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:19 pm

Such high profile people drinking to excess in public. Throw the book at them..! Leadership group of the crows..! Ha.....! When will they learn...! How are they expected to gain the respect of the public when these situations keep arising...! I just wan't to be Like them.....................aaaaarrrp....... BIG SARS....! High profile sportsman should be drinking at a private function.........
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:41 pm

WRxb0y wrote:Shit, I am not surprised that the AFC have been approached by New Idea or something to get a cover story of it...

Why, is princess Mary a Crows fan?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:08 pm

Pseudo wrote:
WRxb0y wrote:Shit, I am not surprised that the AFC have been approached by New Idea or something to get a cover story of it...

Why, is princess Mary a Crows fan?

Ley Ley may have something to say about that...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Ian » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:14 pm

Dog_ger wrote: High profile sportsman should be drinking at a private function.........

Why shouldn't he be able to have a drink at a pub jointly owned by a former team mate, and a mate.
Just proves they are human after all.
How many people on here can say they have never been out, had a few drinks, and got pissed off by someone elses actions?
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:24 pm

If the incident hadn't been so public, it probably would have been swept under the carpet.

The response from The Advertiser was predictable.

Of course they were going to rally around one of their own.

Just wonder if they'll have the balls to print the offending pictures.

(Unless they have already - don't read the 'Tiser.)

At the end of the day, Goodwin carried on like a goose and now has to face the music.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby spell_check » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:13 pm

It's either those pics and stories or it's Port or Crows players on the beach in their shorts and speedos...
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby mick » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:06 am

It never fails to amaze me why some elite sports people act like total ar*eholes after a few drinks. Back in the 70s a very famous SA cricketer used to do the rounds of the North Adelaide pubs surrounded by his entourage of crawling less talented colleagues. Their behaviour towards women, bar staff, general public etc. was appalling. Nothing's changed. It's a pity we live in a age where decent behaviour takes second place to winning, ideally they should be sacked. It would send a strong message to all the other two pot screamers and would be ar*seholes :evil:
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:11 am

mick wrote:It never fails to amaze me why some elite sports people act like total ar*eholes after a few drinks.

Apparently one of the stars of those great Carlton teams of the 80s had a habit of king-hitting people for no apparent reason. It was just something he did on the pi$$.

When I was at uni in Canberra, the AIS was around the corner and we'd get all the athletes plus the Raiders/Cannons/Brumbies at our uni bar. Most were pretty down-to-earth, except the league meatheads of course, and one World and Olympic champion swimmer.

Simone Warne summed it up beautifully when talking about Wandering Shane, saying he lived in 'a rarified bubble and not the real world.'

Same thing applies, in varying degrees, to any elite sportsman, including AFL and NRL players.

I always have to laugh at the 'down and out' footballers with their hands out after their career has finished, still thinking the world owes them something.
Magpiespower
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:12 am

mick wrote:It never fails to amaze me why some elite sports people act like total ar*eholes after a few drinks. Back in the 70s a very famous SA cricketer used to do the rounds of the North Adelaide pubs surrounded by his entourage of crawling less talented colleagues. Their behaviour towards women, bar staff, general public etc. was appalling. Nothing's changed. It's a pity we live in a age where decent behaviour takes second place to winning, ideally they should be sacked. It would send a strong message to all the other two pot screamers and would be ar*seholes :evil:

Thankyou Sister Mary Josepha.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:33 am

The only idiots in this whole incident are the Advertiser and the morons who buy it (myself included).
I can't believe anyone would have a go at the Crows players over this.
Poor buggers get to let their hair down so very few times compared to most normal blokes during the year and get hounded by this pack of arseholes.

The cameraman deserved worse, if they'd camped out on me I would have slugged the prick.

Its bad enough with the pathetic journalism in the Advertiser but if their cameraman turn into the British paparazzi then there'll be no end to it.

I implore all people to stop buying this trash. Now that SANFL stories are here before anywhere in the paper I'm going to subscribe to a paper where the journos can put more than 2 words together and give the Crapertiser the arse.

I should have got my camera out last night and followed the pricks around, see how they like it, not that they'd have the balls to do anything about it and their tedious lives would lead to my camera dying of boredom.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mick » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:58 am

I agree Wedgie that the Advertiser's motives are purely hypocritical aimed at selling more papers. Ar8sehole behaviour shouldn't be excused no matter who does it. It's not often I agree with Cornes but he has a bit of a point. Blokes on $220K plus ought to not behave like clowns. Leave that to the rest of us :wink:
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 am

Fair dinkum Wedgie..ever met any of these blokes? Did they give you the time of day or just walk straight through you, spilling your beer and not even acknowledge your presence? If it was the former, consider yourself in the highly privileged minority who get to momentarily bask in their reflected greatness for you are one of the chosen ones. The more common attitude to the ones who ultimately provide the reward for their talent is the latter.

The majority of these blokes think that they are better than everyone else like movie stars, rock stars and top cricketers. A humble champion is a rare individual indeed. The Crows are over analysed, over pampered and have a very high opinion of themselves and we're just there to serve them first and cop their crap. The Cows benefit from this continuos coverage and exposure (much like Collingwood and West Coast) so they are hardly in a position to throw up their hands and say 'OMG, put the cameras away, we're drunk!').

Poor buggers indeed..if they are so much better than us (as they so obviously believe) then that makes them a target, whether they like it or not. If the photographer had camped out on you and you slugged the prick you wouldn't have the resources to cover your arse afterwards like these egotistical prima donnas.

Spare us the straight bat defence and sympathy for these egomanical elitist **** and save it for those who are doing it tough for Christmas instead. I find your response to this incident genuinely bewildering.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
The majority of these blokes think that they are better than everyone else like movie stars, rock stars and top cricketers.

But here they are 'movie stars.'

The Brownlow is our Oscars.

And Grand Final day is the biggest stage.
Magpiespower
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:47 pm

Yes I have met a lot of them REB, always found them a pleasure to talk to, in fact I can honestly say that every AFL player I've met (at least a couple of dozen), only person who I found a complete peanut was an ex AFL player in Lucas Herbert but he hardly counts.
Hell I'm suprised at least one didn't smack me out once when I drunkedly jumped on his lap when he was out of a game with a groin injury! (John Barnes)
I find AFL players and most footy players friendlier than the average office peanut in a bar on a Friday night.

I'm looking forward to next week's Advertisers having front page coverage of all the charity work a lot of these guys unpaid for. Of course that's what will happen if the Advertiser is a reputable and fair medium. Of course we know that doesn't sell so the Crapertiser will continue to write for those obsessed by Tall Poppy or chip on shoulder syndrome.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby spell_check » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:39 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Fair dinkum Wedgie..ever met any of these blokes? Did they give you the time of day or just walk straight through you, spilling your beer and not even acknowledge your presence? If it was the former, consider yourself in the highly privileged minority who get to momentarily bask in their reflected greatness for you are one of the chosen ones. The more common attitude to the ones who ultimately provide the reward for their talent is the latter.

The majority of these blokes think that they are better than everyone else like movie stars, rock stars and top cricketers. A humble champion is a rare individual indeed. The Crows are over analysed, over pampered and have a very high opinion of themselves and we're just there to serve them first and cop their crap. The Cows benefit from this continuos coverage and exposure (much like Collingwood and West Coast) so they are hardly in a position to throw up their hands and say 'OMG, put the cameras away, we're drunk!').

Poor buggers indeed..if they are so much better than us (as they so obviously believe) then that makes them a target, whether they like it or not. If the photographer had camped out on you and you slugged the prick you wouldn't have the resources to cover your arse afterwards like these egotistical prima donnas.

Spare us the straight bat defence and sympathy for these egomanical elitist **** and save it for those who are doing it tough for Christmas instead. I find your response to this incident genuinely bewildering.

regards,

REB

That's why the working class people who are SANFL footballers are better rolemodels than those who are fulltime show ponies in the AFL (that get the proportionate coverage by the media).

Having said this, the coverage they do get is way over the top, and I think that Goodwin shouldn't be frowned upon for threatening a paparazzi like photographer, the thing that goes against Goodwin is that he was drunk.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion