Where does Weidemann's loyalty lie ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Where does Weidemann's loyalty lie ?

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:55 am

After reading the article "Blooded by the Weed" By Doug Robertson" from the 26th Dec, one statement I read made me wonder if his loyalties are with West or the Cows.

"I'll speak to the Crows early in the New Year and see what they want but we'll pretty much leave it to Adrian to show us where he wants to play."

Surely a SANFL coach would play a player in a position to best suit that SANFL club, not try and do the best for the Cows or Powder Puffs.

Here's the full article so you can read it in full context;

Blooded by the Weed
By DOUG ROBERTSON
26dec05

BIG, brawny Adrian Bonaddio is Adelaide's "Baby Rocca" but he won't be exposed to the AFL firestorm before his time.

The raw rookie says he's modelling his game on brothers Sav (Kangaroos) and Anthony Rocca (Collingwood) because of their similar body size but the time to find his own identity beckons.
Broad-shouldered Bonaddio, 19, (195cm, 97kg) will launch his professional career with West Adelaide and he couldn't be better placed to develop at a measured pace.

Coach Wayne Weidemann knows the stresses of oscillating between the AFL and SANFL competitions with instructions to polish specific skills – a task which sometimes goes against the needs of the local club.

However, no other SANFL coach has experienced that exact demand. Weidemann played 68 AFL games with the Crows (1991-96) but he was no star – he had to work hard for every success and he was regularly cast back to Woodville West-Torrens.

Now he says he relishes the chance to guide Bonaddio through the initial pitfalls after claiming him as the first selection in the SANFL mini-draft.

"I know how hard it is to go back and forward," Weidemann said. "All week you're training to the Crows' structure then you've got to go back to the SANFL and fit in to that structure.

"I'll speak to the Crows early in the New Year and see what they want but we'll pretty much leave it to Adrian to show us where he wants to play."

Bonaddio has one luxury at Richmond – he knows West recruit and former Port Melbourne team-mate Lance Oswald, 23 (177cm, 79kg).

"It's hard for these (AFL) guys because they know virtually nobody," Weidemann said. "They get really familiar with their Crows team-mates but we only see them probably once a week."

Strong overhead and an accurate kick, Bonaddio played only reserves at Port Melbourne, largely because of the high number of Kangaroos players drifting back to their AFL reserves team.

But Weidemann said the former Oakley Chargers TAC Cup under-18s key forward would be given time to blossom in the SANFL playing against men equally as strong and a lot more experienced.

"We took Adrian as the third marking option in attack but I'd have no problem pushing him back to find his way around the league," Weidemann said. "I've spoken to (Crows recruiting manager) James Fantasia and they're really, really happy to have a big, strong rookie who takes a good mark and is a nice kick as well.

"We'll play him close to goals and he's also capable of doing some ruck work up forward."
Last edited by Ian on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:00 am

"but we'll pretty much leave it to Adrian to show us where he wants to play." could be interpreted a couple of ways.
He might be saying that the lad will make the decision for them as it'll be easy to see where he fits in best by what he shows on the track or during a game, I don't think he's saying the lad is going to dictate where he plays.

I wouldn't read too much into it, I'd interpret Weeds words as saying "I've been there and done that when it comes to alternating between SANFL and AFL and I'm going to help these kids as best I can using my experiences".
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:08 am

Just reading the whole article, it sounded to me like he would play him where it would best suit his development as a AFL player.
Ian

Postby redandblack » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 am

Wedgie wrote:"but we'll pretty much leave it to Adrian to show us where he wants to play." could be interpreted a couple of ways.
He might be saying that the lad will make the decision for them as it'll be easy to see where he fits in best by what he shows on the track or during a game, I don't think he's saying the lad is going to dictate where he plays.

I wouldn't read too much into it, I'd interpret Weeds words as saying "I've been there and done that when it comes to alternating between SANFL and AFL and I'm going to help these kids as best I can using my experiences".

Good post, Wedgie.

We've started the new year by agreeing.

Unbelievable ;)
redandblack

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:11 am

Ian wrote:Just reading the whole article, it sounded to me like he would play him where it would best suit his development as a AFL player.

That's the beauty of different interpretations/people, reading the whole article it sounded to me like he was saying he's got real experience in understanding the demands on players alternating between the AFL and SANFL and will use this to everyone's advantage.

PS I don't really think that, I just wanted to get off to a nice start in 2006 with redandblack. :wink:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby holden78 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 am

not with west talking to him the other day hes only there because he wants to coach . Told a few stories he thinks thomas is a joke
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:04 am

holden78 wrote:not with west talking to him the other day hes only there because he wants to coach . Told a few stories he thinks thomas is a joke

Not with West, thats the impresion I got from the article

He thinks Thomas is a joke, certainlly no orphan there
Ian

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:33 pm

Isn't there something that says "that the player must be played where the SA AFL club nominates..?" Or the player will be transferred to another club..? This happened last year or the year before..?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby westside » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:47 pm

Ian wrote:Just reading the whole article, it sounded to me like he would play him where it would best suit his development as a AFL player.

Heaven forbid...
westside
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

adelaides baby rocca

Postby redden whites » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:17 pm

My god the garbage you have to read in this town is amazing "adelaide crows baby rocca" I guess crows fans must lap this garbage up or it wouldn't get printed . I am still getting over "crows reveal the next Tredrea " from January last year. The double page spread on how Henchelle was going to be centre half forward all last year(only to be dropped for a month in round 8) Not only was this a double page spread but it was the lead headline on the posters out the front of delis ,shops etc...Does a crows moron actually go in and buy a paper because of this?? they must or crap like this just wouldn't happen .Can you imagine "Bulldogs reveal the next Carey " lead headline in the Melbourne paper only to find out it was some b-grader they picked up from Preston?Honestly what could be next to embarrass me as a South Australian citizen leave alone football fan..a football players wedding on the front page of the JANUARY 1 edition maybe??????? surely not!!!!!!
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Back to the topic

Postby stan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Back to the topic:

I think what the weed meant by this is that they dont really have much back ground on this Kid, so where to play him, hmmm tough one asking adrain sounds like a good idea to me.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

I think Weidemann is a good fit for Westies and where they're currently at, they will rely heavily on the improvement of kids and I think he will be great for them in this area ... Agreed on the Crows drivel that continues to get printed .. Sure, run with legitimate articles on issues, but the fanfare for some of the stories in the Tiser is just ridiculous!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:I think Weidemann is a good fit for Westies and where they're currently at, they will rely heavily on the improvement of kids and I think he will be great for them in this area ... Agreed on the Crows drivel that continues to get printed .. Sure, run with legitimate articles on issues, but the fanfare for some of the stories in the Tiser is just ridiculous!

Oh come on CP, we know you love it :)
stan
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:58 pm

stan wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:I think Weidemann is a good fit for Westies and where they're currently at, they will rely heavily on the improvement of kids and I think he will be great for them in this area ... Agreed on the Crows drivel that continues to get printed .. Sure, run with legitimate articles on issues, but the fanfare for some of the stories in the Tiser is just ridiculous!

Oh come on CP, we know you love it :)

LOL .. Well it does make better reading than the current coverage our SANFL club has received lately! :?
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby BEERGUTS05 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:57 pm

could this also be waynes way of saying that he has a shit squad with no stand out options so a young guy like him can basically pick his position if he puts in the hard yards early ?
You Will Die , I alone am Best
BEERGUTS05
Mini-League

Postby Strawb » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:51 pm

I disagree with you beergut. West have a good squad and the weed's training methords are different to Rehnny's. Both coaches have different methords and i feel that the weed knows how to work with what he has got because he has done it before with clubs like Gaza. Only time will tell on how west will go this year. West will be big improvers this year like Wigan in the English soccer never doubt Sprit.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:54 pm

I agree Westies will be the big improver in 2006, throw in South's nuisance value when they're all on song and Norwood's improvement and there's not going to be a lot between the top 8 teams.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:I agree Westies will be the big improver in 2006, throw in South's nuisance value when they're all on song and Norwood's improvement and there's not going to be a lot between the top 8 teams.

LMAO,poor Bays.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby BEERGUTS05 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 pm

I just struggle to see where this improvement is going to come from ?

Are we talking improvement against expectation, I also suppose if the competition evens out a bit they may win more games – but that doesn’t really mean they have improved – the comp may have become weaker ?

I realise this sounds stupid coming from a Norwood supporter but West have a history of not being able to keep a competitve side on the park – now that they have lost a lot of senior players I think 06 could be lean pickings, saying that according to the crows fans Jericho is turning it on, he is seen as too soft for AFL so maybe he could be one fo the guys to help push Westies up
You Will Die , I alone am Best
BEERGUTS05
Mini-League

Postby stan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:40 pm

The Weed will get the best out of his squad. He's a mans man. The west players will enjoy playing for him.
stan
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL