R11: Port v Sturt Review

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R11: Port v Sturt Review

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:59 pm

RESERVES

The Magpies good form of late has continued with a solid 11 point victory at Unley Oval today.

Sam Mardling and Michael Clinch stole the show for the Magpies, sharing 9 goals between them as their pace and agility caused Sturts smaller players many headaches. Daniel Batson also slotted through 3 for the winners.

Will Paley and Alex Lee kicked 3 goals each for the Blues.

The Magpies led by 38 points at the last break and the match as a contest seemed over. Early in the last quarter, a semi-all in brawl began after Lokan felled a Sturt player after disposal. As Lee kicked the goal, Ben Eckermann - who had come in and was scraping at Lokans face from behind - was heavily slung to the ground by Kerren Hall and knocked out. Sturt recieved a soft free kick to Tom Rischbeith who staged for a free kick and Sturt had kicked 2 goals without the ball going back to the centre.

10 minutes later, Tom Rischbeith was struck on the chest but fell over clutching his face, conning the umpire into both a report to Xavier Watson and a 25m penalty which resulted in another goal to Sturt.

Daniel Batsons 3rd goal sealed the game but 2 late goals cut the margin back to the final 11 points.

PA 6.2 / 11.8 / 17.9 / 19.9 123
ST 4.3 / 8.5 / 11.7 / 17.10 112

BEST:
PA - Clinch, Gates, Mardling, Hall, Batson, Miller, T Hughes
ST - Smith, Paley, Brockhouse, Lee

GOALS:
PA - Clinch 5; Mardling 4; Batson 3; Butcher, Jarjoura 2; Miller
ST - Paley, Lee 3; Fitzgerald, Brooks, Miles 2; Bowen, Brockhouse, Smith, Weir, Bankes

SENIORS

The Magpies freefall into mediocrity has continued after Sturt came away with a gritty 27 point victory at Unley.

In a match where skills were down, Sturt did the one percenters better and at more important stages of the match. A sensational five goal to nil 2nd quarter - which saw a 14 point defecit turn into a 14 point lead - was the catalyst of the victory.

The Magpies failed to get any momentum going in the second half. Whenever Port Adelaide challenged on the scoreboard, Sturt replied almost instantly with a goal of their own.

For the second time this year, Sturt made the most of their opportunities up forward, kicking a direct 11.3 to 3/4 time. The Magpies could only manage 8.10 and will rue missed chances in front of goal.

In a tense final term, Brent LeCras put the Magpies to within 4 points of the Blues with plenty of time left on the clock. The Magpies could not get a break up forward and Tristan Gums 3rd major sealed the victory at the 20 minute mark. Sturt added two more goals to their total as the Magpies visibly dropped their heads.

It was an over-umpired affair, with a ridiculous amount of free kicks given out to both teams over the day. The second half was also played under very dark skies, with the second half of the last quarter played in ridiculous conditions. Lights coming on with 2 minutes remaining didnt help.

Best for the victors was Tristan Gum, who kicked 3 majors and played a variety of roles during the match. Greg Bentley, Ryan Herring, Ben Nelson and Luke Crane were also strong performers, whilst Brant Chambers kicked three first half goals. 2nd gamer John Mcdonald had a superb outing as well.

For the Magpies, Kyle Jenner and Brent LeCras performed well, whist Mark Clayton and Steve Summerton were also good. Corey AhChee had the better of Chambers in the second half.

Sturt do look very impressive. They have a young squad but they play for each other and they have a very talented group of young footballers. The Magpies, who had close to a full strength side out on the park, need to dig deep before the season is shot. At their best they are good enough to play finals football, but they drop their heads to quickly and their gameplan can fall to pieces under pressure.

The match was marred by a brawl outside the ground late in the last quarter, alledgedly by a man wearing a West Adelaide jumper who threw a few punches at a female. The end result saw the catalyst leave the scene, and 2 other people get arrested by the police.

ST 4.1 / 9.2 / 11.3 / 15.8 98
PA 6.3 / 6.6 / 8.10 / 10.11 71

BEST:
ST - Gum, Nelson, Bentley, Mcdonald, Herring, Button, Sheedy, Crane
PA - Jenner, LeCras, Summerton, AhChee, M Clayton, De Pasquale

GOALS:
ST - Gum, Chambers 3; Nelson 2; Crane, Weatherald, Sheedy, Feast, Thomson, Bentley, Mcdonald
PA - LeCras, J Clayton 2; Murray, DePasquale, Maric, Summerton, Jenner, Slattery
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: R11: Port v Sturt Review

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Great review as usual Macca, I can't fault one thing you said, must have hurt but good work.

Christ, Hargy didn't even kick a goal today, not that the ball was delivered to him at all, probably had 2 chances to take a hard contested mark in the first half IMHO.

Port need Waterhouse back in a big hurry.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2065 times
Been liked: 3925 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Hargraves was very dissapointing today in my opinion.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:09 pm

Macca19 wrote:Hargraves was very dissapointing today in my opinion.

Must admit his heart doesn't look in it, not suprising considering its half red and half white.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Hondo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Hargraves was very dissapointing today in my opinion.

Must admit his heart doesn't look in it, not suprising considering its half red and half white.

On the TV they were questioning his fitness ..... anyone got any good oil if he's 100%?
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby SBR » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:28 pm

If he's 100% fit, drop him and put him down right now. Shocking.
SBR
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:45 pm

His first couple of games were great when he was 2nd string to Clive. The last two games where Clive has been injured, Hargraves has been awful. Doesnt contest hard enough, doesnt present well enough, not much 2nd efforts. It was his time to shine and hes let us down a bit.

If his heart isnt in it then he should give it away and not waste the Port club and its supporters time. Id love to see him turn it around though, hes better than this.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby SnappyTom » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Macca19 wrote:...
The match was marred by a brawl outside the ground late in the last quarter, alledgedly by a man wearing a West Adelaide jumper who threw a few punches at a female. The end result saw the catalyst leave the scene, and 2 other people get arrested by the police....

This can't be right - Cornes will undoubtedly be asking Kris Grant if he can stop our fans:
o dressing in West Adelaide gear
o attending non Dog games
o striking women!

I wonder, now we've had Dogs vs Norwood night games at The Parade 'Grog Shop' barred, does this mean no-one can wear West Adelaide gear to non West Adelaide games.

Heaven forbid.

ST...
Last edited by SnappyTom on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cats of Australia have made their choice!!!
SnappyTom
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:53 pm

SnappyTom wrote:
The match was marred by a brawl outside the ground late in the last quarter, alledgedly by a man wearing a West Adelaide jumper who threw a few punches at a female. The end result saw the catalyst leave the scene, and 2 other people get arrested by the police....

This can't be right - Cornes will undoubtedly be asking Kris Grant if he can:
o stop our fans dressing in West Adelaide gear
o striking women!

I wonder, now we've had Dogs vs Norwood night games at The Parade 'Grog Shop' barred, does this mean no-one can wear West Adelaide gear to non West Adelaide games.

Heaven forbid.

ST...

I talked to the bloke in Westies gear, he told me he was a Centrals fan. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Hey Macca, I took a couple of shots of your wheels today. :wink:
(It must hurt a Port supporter to have 76 on their rego plate surely?)

Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:03 pm

Macca19 wrote:The match was marred by a brawl outside the ground late in the last quarter, alledgedly by a man wearing a West Adelaide jumper who threw a few punches at a female. The end result saw the catalyst leave the scene, and 2 other people get arrested by the police.

Hmm I always thought the Pram lady could have been a hemaphrodite.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:Hey Macca, I took a couple of shots of your wheels today. :wink:
(It must hurt a Port supporter to have 76 on their rego plate surely?)

That guy is a deadset legend! I dont reckon hes missed a game since ive been alive. Youll see him sitting with his mum and dad who are usually in wheelchairs. Can usually hear him from the other side of the ground 'GO YOU MAGPIIIEEESSS'
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:13 pm

SnappyTom wrote:

This can't be right - Cornes will undoubtedly be asking Kris Grant if he can stop our fans:
o dressing in West Adelaide gear
o striking women!

Heaven forbid.

ST...

from when i saw it, 3 or 4 weslo's had 2 guys outside pinned down, a couple of the security guards where laying into one bloke, who's wife/gf tried to get them off him, then the guy in Westies gear started swinging at her, im pretty sure one did connect.

Of course with Centrals not having a game today, dumb and dumber will find a way to blame us, like a Commodore was seen parked near Unley Oval. :roll:
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Sam_goUUUdogs wrote:Of course with Centrals not having a game today, dumb and dumber will find a way to blame us, like a Commodore was seen parked near Unley Oval. :roll:

Or that you were seen near the game. :wink:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:29 pm

geez you Centrals blokes have massive chips on your shoulders...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:geez you Centrals blokes have massive chips on your shoulders...

or guilty consciousnesses
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:44 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
Dutchy wrote:geez you Centrals blokes have massive chips on your shoulders...

or guilty consciousnesses

LOL...the thread has nothing to do with them yet they turn it around???? and they wonder why they get the publicity :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:14 am

Sam_goUUUdogs wrote:from when i saw it, 3 or 4 weslo's had 2 guys outside pinned down, a couple of the security guards where laying into one bloke, who's wife/gf tried to get them off him, then the guy in Westies gear started swinging at her, im pretty sure one did connect.

I almost believed you, but you make it sound like Weslo actually did some proactive security work.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1565 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby bayman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:34 am

the move of nelson onto j.clayton was the winning move today as he (jc) was clearly b.o.g in the first term but after that just showed up occaisionally throughout the day. it could also be the best move i've seen all year
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 am

I left home a bit late and turned on to Unley Road about 10 past 2 to find every single back street around Unley Oval packed with cars. Even though I had to walk a long way, was happy to see suburban footy is still alive and well and was great to see a packed crowd along the members wing and all the way around to the playground. Just a pity it was full of Sturt and Port supporters! :wink:

I enjoyed the game. Was a real contest up until time on in the last term. Port seemed to have the same problems the Eagles have had. No system in to the forward line.

Sturt weren't at their free-flowing best, but generally capitalised on opportunities and were cleaner with their disposal. Often Chambers was double teamed, but he still made a contest and this freed up some of the other Sturt players to kick the goals. They look a well drilled team which is a credit to the coaches and players. Gum was impressive as was Nelson, whose strong body and presence was important for the baby blues.

Port tried pretty hard I thought. Couldn't really fault their endeavor, except for their lazy full forward who is obviously well past his best. Port looked more dangerous when Hargraves was on the bench and Jenner was moved to full forward. Their game plan was better suited, and Sturt had more trouble, with the leading forward in to space.

I don't think Port are that far away from turning things around. Sturt have a HUGE game against Norwood next Friday night at The Parade. If they win, I reckon they will have one hand on a top 3 spot as their draw looks pretty favourable for the next month or so.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 513 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL