Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:I give way to anyone who's front bumper is in front of mine.

Isn't that the rule?

At a zip lane, yes.

So if someones beside you, but a little bit in front, and they start indicating to change to your lane, you just continue to stay at the same speed and not let them over?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby valleys07 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 am

HH3 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:I give way to anyone who's front bumper is in front of mine.

Isn't that the rule?

At a zip lane, yes.

So if someones beside you, but a little bit in front, and they start indicating to change to your lane, you just continue to stay at the same speed and not let them over?

No mate- because that half a second advantage that you get by staying infront of that person will have a huge impact on your ability to get to your destination on time...
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 am

I have no problem letting people in - if they indicate sufficiently and if there's enough space in front of me (but, if there's not enough space in front, they're generally not going to indicate for any great length of time and just take the spot anyway).

Sufficient space is more than a car's length.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:14 am

It doesnt take much to let off the accelerator for a couple of seconds to open that space up for them.

Common courtesy.

If you're in that much of a rush you can't let someone in, you should have left home earlier.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:17 am

If it's a brain fart lane change, where the person just wants to jump lanes because they'll edge slightly in front of the car already in front of them, then I don't think I should have to. Erratic driving, just to get in front of someone else, causes accidents.

I love the Main North Road.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 am

ifi see someone trying to fly in-between cars behind me
I will deliberately box them in to be a prick.
I like to be an arsehole on the rd to people who are aresholes.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:21 am

Fair enough if people are being dickheads. I do box people in that have been weaving between cars.

I'm talking about just normal traffic. No wankers involved. If someones beside me indicating, I will let off and let them in.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I have no problem letting people in - if they indicate sufficiently and if there's enough space in front of me (but, if there's not enough space in front, they're generally not going to indicate for any great length of time and just take the spot anyway).
Sufficient space is more than a car's length.

In Melbourne the rule was you let them change lane in front of you even if they were only very slightly in front.
In any big city, there will never be a "more than a car's length" between cars so nobody would ever get to change lanes without there being the expectation that you will drop back when someone slightly in front indicates the need to do so.

That rule, and the attitude of courtesy that goes with it, is essential to drivers being able to get anywhere in heavy traffic.
If you don't drive that route everyday you are mot going to be able to anticipate which lane you need to be in kilometres ahead, and you need to be able to change lanes when you see the signs.

The one thing that has annoyed me on my return to SA is the lack of that courtesy and cooperativeness in traffic here.
There seems to be an SA culture of deliberately obstructing anyone who wants to change lanes regardless of how far they are in front.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am

Does it work in Melbourne, Psyb?

I don't consider myself un-cooperative on the road. I'm just not a fan of people lane jumping for that split second they gain.
In Adelaide, there are definite spots on the MNR where more than a car's length is possible, others not. Mine's an arbitrary judgement - which, I guess, it has to be for all.

One thing that grinds my gears are the people who sit in the right hand lane because they have to turn right 10 kays down the road.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 am

Dogwatcher wrote:One thing that grinds my gears are the people who sit in the right hand lane because they have to turn right 10 kays down the road.

So you want them to wait til they're closer, and hope someone will let them in so they can change lanes?

PS. Agree with everything Psyb said.
Last edited by HH3 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:46 am

HH3 wrote:Fair enough if people are being dickheads. I do box people in that have been weaving between cars.

I'm talking about just normal traffic. No wankers involved. If someones beside me indicating, I will let off and let them in.

letting them in is fine, and i do let people in all the time. however there is no legal right for them to move over, unless as stated its a zip merge, its just a courtesy. its when they cut you off, after letting their indicator flash once, and they blame you for the close call, that is the problem. they are in the wrong, and if it caused an accident they would have some interesting explaining to do with their insurance company.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:47 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Does it work in Melbourne, Psyb?

I don't consider myself un-cooperative on the road. I'm just not a fan of people lane jumping for that split second they gain.
In Adelaide, there are definite spots on the MNR where more than a car's length is possible, others not. Mine's an arbitrary judgement - which, I guess, it has to be for all.

One thing that grinds my gears are the people who sit in the right hand lane because they have to turn right 10 kays down the road.

Yes it works in Melbourne.
It is essential when you turn into a road and find you now have a tram stopping in front of you, or you are trying to work out which of the 5 lanes at the next intersection you need to be in to get to the turn towards your destination.

I agree with you about the right hand lane hoggers who also tend to sit there 10 K under the speed limit.
(I assume because they plan to turn eventually, or they are afraid that if they get over to the left they will never be game to move across again.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:48 am

people in Adelaide suddenly become dislexic when they see this sign!!!

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 am

HH3 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:One thing that grinds my gears are the people who sit in the right hand lane because they have to turn right 10 kays down the road.

So you want them to wait til they're closer, and hope someone will let them in so they can change lanes?

What, they can't get across with two kays to go?
I do want them to do that. Ideally, people should let them in.
One begets the other.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:19 am

woodublieve12 wrote:people in Adelaide suddenly become dislexic when they see this sign!!!

Tapleys Hill Rd by the airport is a popular strip for these tards, 70-75 in the 80 zone EVERY F#CKING DAY!

I drive for a living and see near misses regularly. I see road rage almost daily, have seen punch ups, tyre levers & wooden planks produced as well as one of those extendable batons.
It's simply not worth being a prick back to these dicks on the road. You don't know who you could be dealing with - if they're high, have mental issues or are simply looking to f#ck someone over.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:20 am

I have no experience of driving on Melbourne roads.
However, I've driven a bit on the freeways around Sydney and love how drivers seem to seamlessly merge, or get out of the right hand lane, when necessary. Stay in the right hand lane there, you're an idiot. People don't speed up all of a sudden either, which means when you overtake someone, you can drop back into the left hand lane.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:21 am

Spargo wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:people in Adelaide suddenly become dislexic when they see this sign!!!

Tapleys Hill Rd by the airport is a popular strip for these tards, 70-75 in the 80 zone EVERY F#CKING DAY!

I drive for a living and see near misses regularly. I see road rage almost daily, have seen punch ups, tyre levers & wooden planks produced as well as one of those extendable batons.
It's simply not worth being a prick back to these dicks on the road. You don't know who you could be dealing with - if they're high, have mental issues or are simply looking to f#ck someone over.

Agreed.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:30 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:

What, they can't get across with two kays to go?

Not if there isn't "more than a car lengths" gap. Guess they aren't getting let in, and not making their turn.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:32 am

I would let them across if they have given plenty of indicator warning.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:32 am

If you want to see peanuts behind the wheel of a motor vehicle go and drive on the motorways of Europe. Still trying to work out how some feckwit in a French plated car did not cause a massive pile up on a M road on the outskirts of London :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion