Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Footy Chick wrote:You get more radioactive material reheating your dinner in the microwave or listening to AM radio (true story)
That's what I used to tell the old grandma's that called in to cancel their mobile plans :lol:

Working for telstra for 5 years gives me plenty of ammo on people who think mobiles fry your brains.

Microwave ovens in good repair are much better shielded in a big metal box, and not within a cm or 2 of your brain.

Telstra lie to their staff too... (And I say that as a shareholder.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Psyber wrote:
A Neurosurgeon I know who nis interested in the topic says the only way to use a mobile is at arm's length either on speaker or with a wired earphone.
(Wireless/bluetooth puts a concentrating antenna next to your brain too.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19328536

plenty of other studies that indicate no link at all (plenty of references in these summaries)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... cellphones
https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources/c ... ones-myth/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... Precaution

i do agree that if you can reduce exposure it can't be a bad thing, but i don't think it is really much of an issue (disclaimer: i am an electronic engineer not a neurosurgeon)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Psyber wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:You get more radioactive material reheating your dinner in the microwave or listening to AM radio (true story)
That's what I used to tell the old grandma's that called in to cancel their mobile plans :lol:

Working for telstra for 5 years gives me plenty of ammo on people who think mobiles fry your brains.

Microwave ovens in good repair are much better shielded in a big metal box, and not within a cm or 2 of your brain.

just put your tin foil hat on and you will be fine :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Psyber wrote:
redandblack wrote:Do you remember the thread about how the prices were far too expensive?
The opponents of the NBN forgot to start a thread about how that was wrong and the prices are really good.

I'm one of those sceptics, and I'm waiting to see whether they stay good after they get enough take up to be able to claim the programme as a success. It wouldn't be the first industry to offer good starter prices in the early days to get a market share established, then adjust later.

My scepticism has been proved right for us light users - I rarely exceed 8GB per month.
When it was first mooted 10GB NBN plans at 25mbps were being offered at $39.95 per month - fairly commensurate with my existing ADSL2+ plan.*
The lowest NBN plan I can find now is a 12 mbps plan offering 30GB (uploads counted too) at $59.95, or $64.95 at 25mbps.

*Adding VoIP and a home phone brings my ADSL2+ plan to $59.95 per month - the same service with the NBN will now be a minimum of $89.85, and that is without allowing for the $10 a month free calls I get now.

So my $59.95 package jumps to something like $99.85 minimum for a doubling of my present speed...

Sure I can afford it but I resent attempts being made to con me and the general community...

(all 12mb services)
Nuskope offer 10gb for $40 and 50gb for $50
Adam offer 20 down and 20 up for $50
Internode offer 30 for $50

adam's phone service is $10 a month, internode offer different options starting from $0 and working up to $20 a month depending on what sort of call rates you have and want etc.

TPG offer an unlimited 12mb with a home phone that gives you unlimited calls to land lines for $70 a month

not sure you were looking hard enough!!

I'd used the same cluster of three for "then and now" comparisons - iiNet, Internode, and one other whose name I can't remember, and made my comment based on those past and present offerings...

When it gets closer I'll see if Nuskope's cheaper deal still exists...
Psyber
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Ok im not reading any of the last 5 or 6 comments...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:
A Neurosurgeon I know who nis interested in the topic says the only way to use a mobile is at arm's length either on speaker or with a wired earphone.
(Wireless/bluetooth puts a concentrating antenna next to your brain too.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19328536

plenty of other studies that indicate no link at all (plenty of references in these summaries)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... cellphones
https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources/c ... ones-myth/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... Precaution

i do agree that if you can reduce exposure it can't be a bad thing, but i don't think it is really much of an issue (disclaimer: i am an electronic engineer not a neurosurgeon)

The problem is the issue of it being too hard to prove one way or the other - so I take the cautious line.
Similarly it has been two years since the W.H.O. declared that diesel fumes are just as carcinogenic as Asbestos, but while we have been very active about Asbestos all agencies and the media continue to ignore this one and leave it hidden from public view.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:

just put your tin foil hat on and you will be fine :D

I don't need the tin foil hat as long as I keep the phone well away from my head... :lol:
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

another decent article on maximum power transmitted etc

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Technica ... phones.pdf

so maximum transmitter power for a mobile phone is around 125mW, which is very low. most of the time it would be operating far below that too, because it turns down the transmitter to a level to the lowest possible level to maintain reception (to increase battery life)

I have done an RF safety course, and usually RF radiation starts to become an issue at 10W or higher.

something like a handheld marine radio can transmit 7W or so, and there are recommendations to hold them 10cm or more away from your head etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Psyber wrote:The problem is the issue of it being too hard to prove one way or the other - so I take the cautious line.
Similarly it has been two years since the W.H.O. declared that diesel fumes are just as carcinogenic as Asbestos, but while we have been very active about Asbestos all agencies and the media continue to ignore this one and leave it hidden from public view.

medical statistics are notoriously shoddy too (mostly not their fault as it is almost impossible to find a control group of people)
too often they imply correlation = causation
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:54 pm

everyone reading this current conversation ;)

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:another decent article on maximum power transmitted etc

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Technica ... phones.pdf

so maximum transmitter power for a mobile phone is around 125mW, which is very low. most of the time it would be operating far below that too, because it turns down the transmitter to a level to the lowest possible level to maintain reception (to increase battery life)

I have done an RF safety course, and usually RF radiation starts to become an issue at 10W or higher.

something like a hand held marine radio can transmit 7W or so, and there are recommendations to hold them 10cm or more away from your head etc.

One of the issues that others have focussed on is the contention that the field is being concentrated by the antenna, and another the argument that the field intensity goes up when the phone is not at idle but actively trying to maintain a signal particularly in difficult areas. A third is the argument about whether the declared safety limits are really safe. The Neurosurgeon, Vini Khurana, doesn't argue from physics and theory but from clinical data in his practice.

But the Physics and Maths of this is not my forte, so I'll take the cautious line rather than accept the reassurances...
(Note my comment above about authorities ignoring the link between cancer and diesel fumes despite the W.H.O. published statement - the risk gets played down if it is going to cost too much to fix.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Workplace training.....

Sitting for a full day learning stuff that i have already been shown at a pace that is putting me to sleep... the trainers are so monotonous and have no ability to engage people...

Over it!
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:06 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:everyone reading this current conversation ;)

Engineering - Solving problems you didnt know you had, in ways you don't understand :D

Psyber wrote:One of the issues that others have focussed on is the contention that the field is being concentrated by the antenna, and another the argument that the field intensity goes up when the phone is not at idle but actively trying to maintain a signal particularly in difficult areas. A third is the argument about whether the declared safety limits are really safe. The Neurosurgeon, Vini Khurana, doesn't argue from physics and theory but from clinical data in his practice.

But the Physics and Maths of this is not my forte, so I'll take the cautious line rather than accept the reassurances...
(Note my comment above about authorities ignoring the link between cancer and diesel fumes despite the W.H.O. published statement - the risk gets played down if it is going to cost too much to fix.)

this is my exact point - implying a correlation between cancers and mobile phone use whilst ignoring the science is exactly why the medical journals sometimes get it so wrong :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:10 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:Workplace training.....

Sitting for a full day learning stuff that i have already been shown at a pace that is putting me to sleep... the trainers are so monotonous and have no ability to engage people...

Over it!

We have to do WHS, equity and diversity, fraud and ethics, and security training every single year.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:10 am

One particular teenager that resides at the Boon residence and the state of his ******* room.

I'm pretty sure, certain in fact, that mine never looked and worse still smelt like that!

*WARNING* - Stern Father-Son talk approaching.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:19 am

Booney wrote:One particular teenager that resides at the Boon residence and the state of his ******* room.

I'm pretty sure, certain in fact, that mine never looked and worse still smelt like that!

Vomit on the floor? ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:20 am

Very good. :D

No, lucky for him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:21 am

You never can be sure that there isn't with a stench wafting out the door....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:28 am

HH3 wrote:Ok im not reading any of the last 5 or 6 comments...

I read the first sentence and got a headache.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:One particular teenager that resides at the Boon residence and the state of his ******* room.

Vomit on the floor? ;)

Tell him no chick will ever want to sleep over in that stench ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion