Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby RustyCage » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Magellan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:"Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. :-Q

All these words I don't just say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gathering you'd be a Mozart man?

Not at all, I'm huge Metallica fan. But by the time the Black Album came around Metallica IMHO had spent all their good creative capital. It's not a bad album by any means, but there are some songs with just rubbish lyrics, and Nothing Else Matters is just one example. It's not worth comparing to any of the other four albums that preceded it that had some great lyrics ("Kill' Em All" was a bit juvenile, but still cool in a teenage metalhead f**k you attitude kind of way). By the time 1990-1991 came around it seemed like Metallica (or Hetfield and Lars) had nothing really to say. The only upside was the 'groovier' production and the reemergence of the bass from "...Justice", although this doesn't outweigh the average lyrics and riffery.

I've seen Metallica live 5 times, and every time you see someone walking out with the bar stool that James sits on for the song is the low point of the set.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:Whilst it comes post-Black Album,and contradicts a bit of what I said earlier, I'm actually quite a fan of "Load". A return to some extent to the longer epic songs that they are master of, some darker lyrical themes, and some great grooves.

Post-Black and despite popular opinion, I'm a fan of Death Magnetic. Whilst Load is also very good, I think DM is the pick of the "modern" post-Black Metallica offerings.

It's a problem many bands have, one song gets airplay over and over and it begins to boil your piss as soon as you hear it despite having known and loved the song/artist for potentially decades. ie - Stairway to Heaven, Khe Sanh, etc etc

Agreed, DM is a brilliant album, great songs on it, and much harder and more aggressive than anything they've ever recorded before. Some of the best song construction too, songs like The Day That Never Comes, That Was Just Your Life and All Nightmare Long are well written musically.

I clearly can remember sitting in my brothers bedroom when James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett were on Triple J, and they said they were going to play their new song, and Until It Sleeps came on. I thought it was a joke, 'haha get that crap off and play their new song' type thing.

Load and Reload have some brilliant songs on it, Id wet myself if I ever got to hear Fixxxer live, but I've always had the thinking of "these would be great albums if they weren't Metallica albums". Ive always felt like they were performing below their capabilities on those albums. Same with "Risk" by Megadeth.

It's been way too long since their last album.
RustyCage

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Three weeks to get parts for my AC so that it works again.
Oh well, at least it will be ready for January's heat waves.

Whats the cost of parts (and the consequence of having to wait for them) compared to replacing the unit?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby JK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:12 am

Magellan wrote:Yep, good points. They've also written more heartfelt songs that aren't so overtly sappy (or commercial), such as "Fade to Black".

FTB is only a semi-ballad (imho, and I have zero musical knowledge/ability I'll confess off the bat) whereas with NEM they've gone the whole hog. Whether you like it or not, it's a gutsy move to try and roll with the times (as they did with the Black album) given they'd know it was going to annoy the majority of their diehards. That said, Lars is pretty $$ driven, so their advisors would have let them know where they stand I guess.

My guess would be that as pissed as diehards were they still stuck with them (although Load might have brought about a few casualties), and they also added new age supporters via the Black album.

And for the record, FTB is my favourite of theirs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:21 am

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:Yep, good points. They've also written more heartfelt songs that aren't so overtly sappy (or commercial), such as "Fade to Black".

FTB is only a semi-ballad (imho, and I have zero musical knowledge/ability I'll confess off the bat) whereas with NEM they've gone the whole hog. Whether you like it or not, it's a gutsy move to try and roll with the times (as they did with the Black album) given they'd know it was going to annoy the majority of their diehards. That said, Lars is pretty $$ driven, so their advisors would have let them know where they stand I guess.

My guess would be that as pissed as diehards were they still stuck with them (although Load might have brought about a few casualties), and they also added new age supporters via the Black album.

And for the record, FTB is my favourite of theirs.

Yes, agree about Fade To Black, and for mine it isn't really a ballad in the true sense like Nothing Else Matters is. FTB follows the same formula as songs like Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and One which sound balladish at the start and then progress towards a metal ending - a bit like Stairway to Heaven does.

I also agree that they tried to move with the times and tried something different, and I definitely respect Metallica for doing that, even though I think the end product is a bit crap. At the end of the day its the band who have to enjoy what their doing, and as artists they might feel the need to change direction to avoid becoming stale. A lot of bands churn out the same stuff album after album, and it never gets any better or interesting. Take Slayer for example, they've stuck to a similar sound for many years now, and whilst the remain committed to their 'sound', IMHO they'll never ever top Reign In Blood (or Seasons In The Abyss, for that matter).

I see Metallica's shift at the time of the Black Album to mirror what U2 did with Achtung Baby. They could've kept pumping out the same sort of stuff that got them arena rock star status (The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum) but instead went out on a limb with Brian Eno and made an album with a completely different sound. Some people can't stand it, but I reckon it's their most interesting album, and anything that helps me forget about the lameness of Rattle and Hum's fake American pilgrim wannabe schlick, the better.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Discovering a lot of water on the kitchen last night.

At first I thought it was the fridge as a lot of the water had pooled around the fridge niche, but upon starting to mop it up, I discovered that there was water coming from under the dishwasher too.

Open the cupboard under the sink - water EVERYWHERE.

Could see the water leaking from one of the pipes and I'd hate to think how when the plumbing was installed when the house was built and it had slowly come loose over time. tightened the nut, leaking stopped and I thought it would be ok.

Wake up next morning and go into the spare room - carpet is DRENCHED. :?

Spoke to one of the assessors from work who said that the leak has probably been happening for about a week ( I was in Sydney all week, my luck) and that the well under the kitchen cabinets was probably full and that's why the water only appeared last night but it still doesn't make sense as to how much water has managed to make it's way under the wall and into the spare room overnight.

My womens intuition tells me that this doesn't solely come from that one little leak though :(

Kitchen cupboards will probably need to be ripped up to assess any further damage and the carpet and skirts will probably need replacing.

Merry f****ing Christmas to me. :?

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby RustyCage » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:52 pm

The Crew Cut by VS Sassoon.

If you've bought one of these for someone for Christmas, take it back. If you get given one for Christmas just smile politely and say thank you, before searching the house for the receipt.

It's good in theory, but as the blades are fixed to the unit and don't move, as you go over your head it cuts some as the length you set it at, and some right at the skin. I now have to go over my head with a #0 to fix up the bald patches it's left me with.

Avoid like the plague.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450495352.046401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450495352.046401.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
RustyCage

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:44 pm

RustyCage wrote:The Crew Cut by VS Sassoon.

If you've bought one of these for someone for Christmas, take it back. If you get given one for Christmas just smile politely and say thank you, before searching the house for the receipt.

It's good in theory, but as the blades are fixed to the unit and don't move, as you go over your head it cuts some as the length you set it at, and some right at the skin. I now have to go over my head with a #0 to fix up the bald patches it's left me with.

Avoid like the plague.

like this?

Footy Chick

Postby RustyCage » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Exactly!
RustyCage

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Avoid like the plague.

Or if you want a zero its probably perfect
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Magellan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:39 am

Avoid like the plague.

This guy might be able to help.

I think the Japanese subtitles say something like "I hardly recommend the Crew Cut by VS Sassoon."
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:59 am

Footy Chick wrote:Discovering a lot of water on the kitchen last night.

At first I thought it was the fridge as a lot of the water had pooled around the fridge niche, but upon starting to mop it up, I discovered that there was water coming from under the dishwasher too.

Open the cupboard under the sink - water EVERYWHERE.

Could see the water leaking from one of the pipes and I'd hate to think how when the plumbing was installed when the house was built and it had slowly come loose over time. tightened the nut, leaking stopped and I thought it would be ok.

Wake up next morning and go into the spare room - carpet is DRENCHED. :?

Spoke to one of the assessors from work who said that the leak has probably been happening for about a week ( I was in Sydney all week, my luck) and that the well under the kitchen cabinets was probably full and that's why the water only appeared last night but it still doesn't make sense as to how much water has managed to make it's way under the wall and into the spare room overnight.

My womens intuition tells me that this doesn't solely come from that one little leak though :(

Kitchen cupboards will probably need to be ripped up to assess any further damage and the carpet and skirts will probably need replacing.

Merry f****ing Christmas to me. :?

Could be just a simple washer FC.
I've had the same issue from the shower taps.
From inside the walls in the shower obviously you can't see it.
Water started seeping into my daughters room through the floor and soaked the carpet,that was the first sign there was a leak.
Simple washer change stopped it,some residual water that needed to be soaked up over a week or so and all is good until the next time.
You need to trace exactly where it's coming from.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby OnSong » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Avoid like the plague.

Some classic reviews online haha
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 am

Folks crying poverty while running freshly inked sleeves. Prioritise you muppets.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 am

MatteeG wrote:Folks crying poverty while running freshly inked sleeves. Prioritise you muppets.

Aint that the truth. "my cars rooted, we have no food, Christmas is looking sad but hey, look at my ripper tat"

Each to their own I guess.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:52 am

Completely losing my voice.

Trying to work, but can't answer a phone, or talk to a customer or supplier is very frustrating.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:58 am

HH3 wrote:Completely losing my voice.

Trying to work, but can't answer a phone, or talk to a customer or supplier is very frustrating.

Whatever it is, make sure you pass it on to the missus.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Running an "important" firefox update as suggested and now it freezes the interwebs every bloody 10 minutes...

Footy Chick

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Running an "important" firefox update as suggested and now it freezes the interwebs every bloody 10 minutes...

You should try Windows 10 :oops:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:35 pm

i do have windows 10. it was working really well for me with firefox until I did this update.

Footy Chick

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion