Re: SANFL 2020 Season

southernbulldog wrote:Stoked to see Butch back

Back to the Future..
by Hazydog
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

I hope you're not counting WA v CD as a thriller. Very disappointing and a night mare.

I did a bit of a count and CD had 7 switches i.e. short kicks back and forth across goal etc which contributed 3 - 3 to WA score. Central also had 13 kicks and 5 Hand balls that went to Westies with 1 of the hand ball resulting in a goal. West kicked 9 and hand balled once to Central.

I don't guarantee full accuracy of these stats but they would be very close.

Hate this stupid Victorian AFL style of game. AFL coaches have a lot to answer for. Also why do we have this stupid last touch rule? Get rid of it.

My dear Groucho.... this stupid style of football you refer to involving switching play was a major reason we won 9 premierships! Ok - it helps when you have personnel who don’t bite off more than they can chew and turn it over in your back half I grant you... but let’s remember it took Stewie and Jonah a few years to develop the confidence and experience needed to execute. We probably won’t play finals this year, but I am really excited with some of the talent that is currently coming through and being given an opportunity, and that’s just seeing the first two games. So have faith my friend, we are building something really good here. And just quietly- the two latest recruits Wild and Toner both looked very handy in the ressies and it won’t surprise to see them get a chance sooner rather than later.
As for comments re disliking the draw- I too am in the minority as I think if two teams can’t take their opportunities to post a winning score in 2 hours then let’s call it a day and share the points. How many times in a nail biter do we hear “ neither team deserved to lose that game”? That’s usually when a draw is a fair result in my eyes..
by Hazydog
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

An interesting post script to this match was the injury to Souths Loneragan, who had been enjoying a breakout season imo.
He was the victim of a fairly reckless tackle early in the game, which saw him stretchered from the ground.
As a result he has sustained a severe back injury- a fractured vertebrae in his spine- he will not play again this season, and there has to be some doubt over his playing future beyond this year.
The centrals player was reported for the incident. he was found guilty, and suspended for 1 match with an early plea....
This is the second time this season the Centrals player has been reported for a similar offence.
My opinion..the sentence is manifestly inadequate. :evil:

I may be old school and out of touch.. but this dangerous tackle phase is a joke. 100 years of coaches drumming into players “bring him to the ground when tackling” and now you get suspended for the very act.. but only if the player gets hurt, but maybe not even then. (Menzel as example.) Anyone who says you must tackle AND ensure you don’t hurt the opposition player at the same time obviously has never laced up the boots!
If the umps weren’t encouraged to give the player in possession an age to get rid of it these instances wouldn’t be anywhere near as common.
Rant over!!
by Hazydog
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 South v Centrals Saturday 1410

Its about protecting the players head and that is fair enough.

Yet it’s still fine to fly for a hanger, knee a bloke flush on the skull and no questions are asked...yet. That’s the bigger picture, how far are we going to take prevention of injury before we start handing out bibs pregame?
Dude, people are dying from CTE, they should go as far as it takes to eliminate this happening in the future.

Ok - then let’s stop the hypocritical half arsed approach and ban the hanger as described earlier. Then watch the squeals
by Hazydog
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ian Callinan

Terrible news. Hopefully youth (relative to the condition) and fitness will allow for a complete recovery.
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ian Callinan

Most heart conditions would only be picked up if something goes wrong or you got tests because you had a history in the family.
Mine only got picked up because of shortness of breath and my daughter's hole in her heart only got picked up because of our family's history with hearts!
AFL medicals would be more about fitness, flexibility, agility, strength, etc, they would never mri everything. And something like 1/4 of the population has a hole in their heart, its just varying sizes though.
My heart failure only came on in my mid 30s too, any tests beforehand would have shown nothing except for a heart valve that only has 2 flaps instead of 3 but works perfectly fine.

Biggest takeout there is that you actually have a heart! ;-)
by Hazydog
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2020 SANFL Grand Final North v Eagles

Congratulations Eags. Keep knocking at doors often enough and eventually someone will let you in. Great resilience and outstanding response after the first quarter when doubts may have been setting in.
by Hazydog
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2021

[/quote]
The comp needs a strong Centrals.[/quote]

Agreed! Maybe not quite as strong as 2000-10 when we were accused of ruining the comp by being too strong....

Sorry ... couldn’t resist that!
by Hazydog
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2021

Sounds like the club is still hoping to pick up a couple more recruits from what Thommo said last night on 5aa. Border issues have slowed the process down apparently. I’m hearing a big bodied gun midfielder and a strong marking two sided ruckman/key forward.

( Ok ok... I made the last sentence up)

Cue Groucho..
by Hazydog
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID

gazzamagoo wrote:
am Bays wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Don't forget Chopin, Schubert & Beethoven!

You're sh!tting me, I thought Schubert played for North

yep, and we all know what happened to HIM!

He got a Chopin?
by Hazydog
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 2.10PM

Margin flattered us in the end. Despite having a crack and not giving in the Bays were a class above us. Too big too strong too good. Great to see Super amble his way to the Centrals past players tent at half time..
by Hazydog
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R4 Centrals v Adelaide 2.10Pm Saturday

In better news the sun came up this morning..and in the light of a new day.. yes Patterson may have been a better match up for Frampton...however if it was Billy that got concussed in the first 10 minutes, McAsey that got injured just before half time and McKay that couldn’t return after 3/4 time... and we had 4 fit players on the bench... then it may well have been a different result. (Not suggesting Connor was going to replicate Frampton by the way ... but I think you probably get my drift...
by Hazydog
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 West v Centrals Saturday 2.10PM

Had enough of the footy to have put the game away early but a combination of poor execution and the usual clangers resulting in costly turnovers kept West in it. Then when the game was there for the taking for both sides Keough and Beech had too much quality for our defence whereas Ryan for West completely blanketed Grace...Well done West - stuck at it all day and worked harder when it it counted.
by Hazydog
Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Typical act of a struggling, undisciplined scrubber club.
The glory days for CDFC are well and truly over

Some would say it’s better to have had glory days that have finished than not to have had them at all….Hoskins actions very difficult to excuse or justify but as alluded to it appears the sniping wasn’t confined to one set of colours…
by Hazydog
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12 Norwood v Centrals Saturday 1410

Dogs last 4 at the Parade…(for the record)

13 goal win
16 goal loss
3 goal loss
3 goal loss (Hoskin 6 Butch 3) got within a goal late in the last as I recall
by Hazydog
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 Central v Port Saturday 2.10

Good in’s for the Power Reserves - and also 2or 3 of the emergencies I guess will also come in.. or will they? Dogs 22 confirmed when the ressies started an hour or so ago…we will find out Ports at about 2pm I guess
by Hazydog
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Here’s another example of how the AFL Reserves bring down the reputation of the SANFL as being a serious football competition and reduce it to Mickey Mouse status…. (From an article direct from PAFC) …

“ and Mayes was an unlikely hero last week, coming off at half time of the SANFL to be the medical substitute against Sydney ”
by Hazydog
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 Central v Sturt Saturday 1410

Focus needs to be on bringing Juniors in… despite most of our metro zone being an ageing population. That trend has already started..with healthy representation in the 19s squad an indicator of that.
by Hazydog
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 Centrals v South Sat 2.10

South very solid all day and too good for what must be one of the poorest quality Dogs side in its history. In contrast to the home side, the Panthers were consistently able to hit up targets on short leads and when kicking long to the the tall forwards deliver to their advantage. Felt like they ran harder for longer and fully deserved to win comprehensively. For Centrals, the positives were hard to find. Judging by Thommos frustration on the sidelines, it seems the players aren’t able to position themselves structurally (both defensively and offensively) anywhere near as much as he would like. Very much work in progress and with seemingly very few natural leaders on the field that remains very much a work in progress.As for individuals… there are some out there getting regular games that at this stage don’t appear up to the grade. Harsh decisions may need to be made at seasons end re some of these - and no, I’m not naming anyone as that would be disrespectful to them - anyone who puts the hours in at SANFL level nowadays for the pittance they receive at least deserve that respect from an old armchair expert like me…
by Hazydog
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Brodlach wrote:Should rename this thread the Central District Thread

It pretty well has been since the old bulldog banter forum closed!
by Hazydog
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another new player for Norwood

https://norwoodfc.com.au/news/thomas-graham-signs-with-norwood/

Didn't see this one coming. Maybe there are some tough salary cap related player decisions being made at CDFC.

Tom showed glimpses of potential during his time with us but at this point I’d still categorise him as a project player… good luck to him in his next chapter.
by Hazydog
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Admittedly not remotely close to the Dudley situation but we all know natural talent will only take you so far in footy. In the lead up to the draft I heard numerous comments around questionable work rate which was coming from wider sources than the club. The ball kid very much in the kid’s court I would suggest and if he really wants success it is there for the taking regardless of a coaching style (which is likely of an AFL type anyway)

Also have similar hopes for Thomson… no doubt the kid has natural footy smarts and ability, it’s more a matter of how much he wants it and how fit he is prepared to get….
by Hazydog
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Dogs playing Trials against South 26/2, Eags 12/3 and Sturt 19/3 all at the Ponderosa.
by Hazydog
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

After the GF loss he’ll need to pull his finger out..
by Hazydog
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial matches

Spot the club who doesn’t have its own fan forum… still!
by Hazydog
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial matches

Spot the club who doesn’t have its own fan forum… still!
Centrals had one some time ago. What happened to it?

The guy that ran it dropped off the face of the earth by all accounts and I got the impression in this day and age of political correctness etc they the club viewed it as one less headache to worry about. Could be wrong- just my take.
by Hazydog
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 Norwood v Eagles

I’ve heard they are installing the electronic/video style advertising on the boundary fence.
by Hazydog
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 Central v West Adelaide

Fair comeback. From what I’ve seen of the season so far I can’t see either of those two bothering too many others this year but it’s a funny game at times

Yeah definitely can’t perform like the first half against any other side in the comp, would have been ten goals down.

I’m stoked with the win but reality says there isn’t much difference to last year, we just can play consistent football.

I respectfully beg to differ.. As already mentioned West looked very good in the first half and deserved to be in front although we butchered at least 4 shots on goal that generally would be converted which at the very least suggested we were generating opportunities in the right areas. 12 scoring shots to 10 in favour of the Bloods suggested it was closer than the 6 goal lead.
18 scoring shots to 6 in the 2nd half clearly showed how we dominated the 2nd half, and with superior run and numbers around the ball confidence was restored and we steamrolled to the win. I don’t recall any such dominance last year, nor an 11 goal second half. We’ve certainly improved.. although hearing Thommo barking out instructions from the boundary line there’s certainly still lots for players to learn in terms of how he wants them to structure up in various phases of the play.
As Northerner said, T Schiller was outstanding, along with his brother and Pres. The move of Fort back to defence in the second half proved a master stroke , although it was evident in the warm ups after half time that the attitude was different and a play on at all costs type approach was the major difference. We are definitely a fit group that’s for sure.. with a bit of luck we could be 2-0 and I’m convinced we are on the right track..
by Hazydog
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 North v Centrals

I take your point but the Andrews fiasco cost us the Menzels. Stick those two into the current team and were looking a lot better…
by Hazydog
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Geez things have changed since we were that dominant over a decade a lot of other club supporters lost a lot of interest and resorted to blaming us for ruining the comp for being too good…good to see most are a bit chirpier now. FWIW..Northerner raises valid points about our poor/challenging recruitment pool.. and I can understand why we’ve received little if any respite from the SANFL given firstly our decade of dominance but probably more likely to do with our outspoken anti AFL stance. And yes, I’m not convinced players and coaches resorting to commenting on FB is the wisest move, even if it does demonstrate some passion that may be perceived not to be there.
It’s a double edged sword when supporters enjoy 9 flags in 12 years…a dominance that may never be repeated. We should be satisfied for life in some respects, but of course we aren’t. We feel embarrassed that we’ve sunk to the levels that most other clubs have experienced over the last 20 years and feel it’s beneath what we stand for. Yet Sturt, Glenelg, North, Ethelton, West… all went through more embarrassing periods of onfield ineptness and without the spectacular success we have had. ( Have I mentioned that already?)
Chill out Guys… we have to bide our time, work our way out of it and be supportive and patient.
Slagging off your own club is too easy and in my book, somewhat of a character flaw. (Often related to personal/emotional negative experiences like being told your services are no longer required etc.) Just my opinion of course…
by Hazydog
Mon May 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

The Oils probably sum it up …Short Memory… no question some opposition supporters got sick of us dominating and expressed both things I mentioned and put it in writing on this forum (no I’m not going to trawl back!)
In fairness much like when Port dominated in the 80s.
Ancient history anyway…
by Hazydog
Mon May 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Gllenelg v West

Spargo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:and the stout to run out before I get there at half time.

Fair chance ;)

I nominate Spargo to buy a few prior to halftime for you Pseudo. No chance of them getting warm!
by Hazydog
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10 Centrals vs Power Reserves Sat 2:35 X-Convenien

Good effort by the undersized Dogs. Love how while some state league clubs lose one or two of their best players at the mid point of the season, the AFL clubs gain one. Add to that they get to play a player who already has played AFL footy the same round. It’s the gift that keeps giving… but it’s also the straw that broke my back today as I didn’t have the stomach to witness it in the flesh. Enoughs enough… I’m tired of the double standards.
by Hazydog
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Norwood v Glenelg

Both teams having a red hot crack with defensive pressure at a high level. Doesn’t lend itself to attractive viewing to the neutral though…but I get that whoever wins won’t give a continental about that..Can’t help but think Bays are robbing Peter by not playing McBean as a forward.
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Prelim Final - Adelaide v Norwood

The rain suited Norwood’s game and took the crows big men out of the game in the second half with the Legs taking advantage of their opportunities. Conversely the crows didn’t adapt to the conditions and butchered a couple of gilt edge chances to goal at crucial times. Should be a decent crowd next week and the Roosters may be dismayed with the 7 day forecast at this stage.
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Prelim Final - Adelaide v Norwood

Pseudo wrote:On behalf of the greater SANFL support base, I thank Norwood for ensuring that next week's Grand Final will be both meaningful and watchable.

On the other hand a 15K GF crowd with NA & the Crows on a wet and windy day might have achieved more for the cause…
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Some people are hard to please! I thought that was an exceptional, well balanced article looking from all perspectives. The quote that stuck out to me was from Blighty..”The SANFL is a great development competition now. It is not what it was. It is a great development competition now.”

Thats all well and good but the question for me is how long can you keep selling memberships and charging admission for what amounts to a development (insert “Reserves” if you see fit) competition?
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Jez McClennan cut by the Suns…..
by Hazydog
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3p

Got to admire that young Norwood team’s doggedness and perseverance through the whole finals series. Showed incredible belief and the courage to keep contesting and running to the end. If you’d have told me at the end of last season that McLeay and Kelly would be premiership players this year I’d have called you crazy… commiserations to North.. had their chances and tried to shut up shop a couple of minutes early.
Still not a fan of Joe…
by Hazydog
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Scott McMahon heading out to the Ponderosa in an assistant coaching role.
by Hazydog
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2022

Dogs reverting to blue shorts in 2023 (white only for clash purposes) and also will wear a version of the 70s V style guernsey for away matches. Also upgrading the lights to LED and have requested a couple of twilight matches beginning around 4-ish…Eliminating all Long term debt is allowing for much greater football department spend now, which I assume assisted with the recruiting spree.
Meggsy’s imprint beginning to take shape.
by Hazydog
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where will the other 9 finish?

Booney wrote:Unlikely, I pulled the card out to support Centrals in their time of need and they went and arseholed the coach, paid him out and can't tell us* members why. Scam I tells ya.

I don’t care what the others say Booney, I reckon you’re ok!
by Hazydog
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial Games 2023

Solid hitout by the Dogs against a strong Glenelg side who woke up after quarter time and just about controlled the game from there. In saying that the Dogs were still competetive but at times lacked the polish of the Bays.
In terms of which recruits for the home side will be in contention round 1 selection, from my perspective I’d suggest Liddy, McLennan, M Lochowiak, Chisholm, Munn and Carroll all would have just about pencilled themselves in, with Little likely as well.
So a reasonable changing of the guard it will be it seems. Didn’t see McCormack in the last so hoping he was managed rather than injured.
by Hazydog
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 - Port Adelaide v Adelaide Saturday 3:10pm AO

sib wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Power reserves $2.46 Thebby Ravens $1.53

Funny

So you call the Power by their name yet call the Crows Ravens.

I considered using "Filth" but thought better of it... I'll leave you to work out which one I would have used it for...
by Hazydog
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 South v Centrals Saturday 2.10

Can’t disagree with what you are saying Doc but the simple fact is it isnt easy to rationally think through your options in a split second when you have been accustomed to different tolerances growing up. The kids of today will be able to have those options trained into them from an early age.. I feel sorry for the mature players nowadays, by the time they follow their instincts they are in big trouble.
by Hazydog
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

Thanks for the explanation JK - and to others who commented. Sounds like the SANFL clubs would be reasonably happy with the interest the clinics and captains runs generated
by Hazydog
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 Sturt v Central District

Got closer than I anticipated but as already mentioned, always disappointing to lose the close ones particularly after leading by 3 plus goals early on..
Felt we lacked a bit of leg speed.. perhaps Olsson or Carroll a consideration. Still think Habel is wasted in the ressies also who still has a bit of dash left in the old legs..
by Hazydog
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 Sturt v Central District

Great start by the Dogs.. and then absorbed what the Blues threw at them in the second qtr. Sturt admittedly have burnt a few goal scoring opps so it should pretty well be even scores in view of that. Expecting Sturt to get out of 2nd gear from here and assert themselves but regardless of the outcome the progress we are making on display.
by Hazydog
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 Centrals vs West Saturday 6/5 2:10PM

The first game of the year we will go in favourites which could be a problem in itself if the attitude isn’t spot on. Westies playing some solid footy and won’t be easy, particularly with Beech back. Hope Habel and Launer get an opportunity - both creative skilful players who look too good to be playing reserves footy..
by Hazydog
Thu May 04, 2023 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 Centrals vs West Saturday 6/5 2:10PM

“The Central District Football Club would like to congratulate Anzac Lochowiak who will make his League debut for the Club tomorrow against West Adelaide.”
Good to see another recruit debut.. will add a bit of X factor and dash around half forward/wing I expect..
by Hazydog
Sat May 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |