Search found 277 matches

Return

Re: R17 Glenelg v Centrals Saturday 2.10

Scott Morrison must be playing in the backlines for our Ressies today - Hosie has six goals to halftime: 'I don't hold a Hosie, mate'.
by bulldogproud
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R19 Eagles v Centrals Sat 2.10

Last year we had a team that hated the coach but at least saw the season out

This year everyone is happy and more than happy to checkout a month before the season finished Will certainly be interested in the thoughts of a couple on here who defended everything the club did

Okay, I'll take the bait and have a go ;)
I hope that is the last time that the SANFL ever program a bye in the penultimate round of the season. Our season ended a fortnight ago with our win over Adelaide. Absolutely nothing to play for today... and, boy, did the team show that that was their attitude. The Eagles would have been better setting up against a team of training cones and we would have been better off just watching our Reserves.

Until our final three losses, we had been competitive in every match we played. There was only one match where we were not within three goals of our opponent at some stage of the final quarter. If we can snare an experienced recruit or two and start to believe in ourselves, we can make the finals next year. Greg Edwards coming onboard will be a very positive step. We currently have a number of very young players in the Reserves who have the goods, and a number already in the League who have a good future ahead.

Back to today's game, despite our lacklustre performance, I cannot help but lift my lid to the Eagles... the premiership is a two-horse race this year, no guarantee the cup is heading to Brighton Road yet.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R19 Eagles v Centrals Sat 2.10

Last year we had a team that hated the coach but at least saw the season out

This year everyone is happy and more than happy to checkout a month before the season finished Will certainly be interested in the thoughts of a couple on here who defended everything the club did

Okay, I'll take the bait and have a go ;)
I hope that is the last time that the SANFL ever program a bye in the penultimate round of the season. Our season ended a fortnight ago with our win over Adelaide. Absolutely nothing to play for today... and, boy, did the team show that that was their attitude. The Eagles would have been better setting up against a team of training cones and we would have been better off just watching our Reserves.

Until our final three losses, we had been competitive in every match we played. There was only one match where we were not within three goals of our opponent at some stage of the final quarter. If we can snare an experienced recruit or two and start to believe in ourselves, we can make the finals next year. Greg Edwards coming onboard will be a very positive step. We currently have a number of very young players in the Reserves who have the goods, and a number already in the League who have a good future ahead.

Back to today's game, despite our lacklustre performance, I cannot help but lift my lid to the Eagles... the premiership is a two-horse race this year, no guarantee the cup is heading to Brighton Road yet.

Cheers

But.............Last season, last game, Dogs had nothing to play for and still beat the eventual premiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope you haven't changed to "bulldognotsoproud"

Huge differences between the situation this year and last year. Our boys pretty much put their cues in the rack after our win against Adelaide two weeks ago. Absolutely ridiculous having a bye in the penultimate round of the season. 13 days off before the final match had us very much in post-season attitude.

I will always be Bulldogproud... incredibly proud of the club that gifted me with 9 premierships. No matter what happens in the short time I have left on this earth, they will be some of the greatest moments and memories of my life... together, of course, with the WTDCC premierships.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Preliminary Finals

Prelims are normally the best games of the finals series. As a neutral, would these be the worse two Prelims in history :shock:

Not this one, one of my favorites

Ken Oath it is.

Very much agreed... although we coasted too much in the second half ;) Can't afford to do that against a real team like Melbourne.
Well done to the patrons of the CDFC on reaching their second grand final in five years.... something I never thought I would ever be able to say.
Would love to win it, but if we don't, will be very happy for Melbourne supporters.... after 2016, I just wanted Melbourne and St Kilda to also enjoy premiership success soon (preferably not this year now though, you Dees ;) )
by bulldogproud
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 AFL Grand Final

If anyone is seeking a Grand Final ticket, I do have one I can access. I have decided not to go; the cost of $1 200 for airfares and accommodation is just a tad too much. I haven't actually bought a ticket so not losing anything, but do have the ability to access one. All categories are still available, ranging in price from $185 to $405.
Cheers

Thanks, Brodlach, for suggesting JK. He no longer needs one though, so one is still available.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary final Glenelg v South

I would love to see South win but I can't see it happening.
Anyway, the more important Prelim Final is at Thebby on Saturday at 11:00am ;)
by bulldogproud
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2021

gazzamagoo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Watching the reserves Glenelg v Eagles I could not notice a glut of big men in the Bay team. If I were at Central I would approach a couple as this appeared an area of concern for the doggies.

We don't need reserves players

Jack Hayes, on the other hand, would be very handy.
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nerves are starting to rise as the big day gets nearer. Thank God we won in 2016 or I would be a nervous wreck now. If we do lose, it will be a great day for Melbourne supporters; I remember what it was like breaking our drought at the 'G in 2016 and I would love to see the Dees break theirs, just preferably not tomorrow ;)
Good luck to both sides.
by bulldogproud
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations to Melbourne on breaking the drought... and in incredible style. That last 50 minutes of football was probably the best 50 minutes ever played in a Grand Final. Very very deserving Premiers.

The loss hurts a lot more than I thought it was going to. I think the reason for that is that we were probably only a couple of goals away from blowing the game open in the third quarter. We had enough play in the forward lines in the first 16 minutes of that quarter to put another couple of goals on the board. Football is very much played above the neck, and I am not sure that any side would have come back from a five goal deficit. Unfortunately, that was not to be. The first goal Melbourne got in the third certainly gave them a lift, the second gave them self-belief, the third saw our heads start to go down (all in a couple of minutes)... and the rest is history... and what very sweet history for those who believe in the 'Grand Old Flag'.

Once again, well done to Melbourne... very pleased to see the drought broken... but really stinging that it was against us, and the manner in which we were totally outplayed in 50 minutes. It will take a lot to come back from a loss like this.
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:Bad luck Dogs :lol:

That's okay. 2016 is still very very sweet ;)
by bulldogproud
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Will say one thing about Eagles fans tbough... they are loyal. Even with the success they have had over the last twenty years, they still have the smallest supporter base of any club (bar the Crows Ressies). All other clubs tend to have supporters come out of the woodwork when they have success, ourselves included.
Cheers

That's the worrying thing, they still can't get fans to attend even with success. Just poking a bit of fun anyway, seen as they seemed really angry the other day.

This is a bad argument. No club is increasing their support base over the years since the introduction of Crows regardless of how many premierships they win. Average support reflected by crowd numbers for all teams is showing an overall trend downward clearly due to waning SANFL interest caused by the AFL.

A better metric to consider is which club has had the smallest leakage in support base over the year and whether this is accelerating or slowing. The Eagles never had a big support base to begin with. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the decline in crowd numbers for Eagles has been far less than for clubs with historically larger fan bases (like Glenelg) but who have been poor performance since the introduction of the Crows (like Glenelg).

"It's hard to garner support when you have your original base support area screwed over by the SANFL. Firstly bringing in Woodville squeezed the area and lost traditional supporter area, losing half our suburban area and giving us an area out Tea Tree Gully way and now taking away our traditional and original support base area and giving us the old magpie area. What a a way to dilute your supporter base. We might get good kids out of the old magpie zone but will hardly get any new supporters. Up until 1964 West Torrens was the third most winning team in the league and attracted the third most spectators. We have absolutely been screwed by the SANFL and this is reflected now by the lack of support. Just tell me what other club has been treated so shabbily".[/quote]

I question the statement about third-most winning club. Up until 1964, the number of premierships won by teams were:
Port 22 premierships
Norwood 22
South 11
North 9
West 7
Sturt 5
West Torrrens 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SANFL_premiers#Chronological_list

As Glenelg did not enter the comp until 1921, that pretty much made West Torrens the least winning team.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

The 'Dogs have signed up the Clarence Football Club captain, a full back, exactly what we need.

Zac Beuchner?
23yo who also spent time in the NEAFL.
Would have matched up on Grace in Tassie.
That's the beast!

Buechner's info from the internet is pretty good - 192 cm and 90 kg as a 19 yr old, so probably a bit bigger now. Among the best players in Tasmania last year and in Clarence's best players in both their finals.

Polled one best-on-ground and two second-best-on-grounds in their equivalent of the Magarey Medal this year; almost unheard of for a full back nowadays.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hamish Hartlett signs with the Bloods!!!!!!
How many recruits have westies picked up now.
I wish my club was as active as they are.

How do you know your club isn't.
The lack of recruiting announcements to date tells me that.
Our recruiting over the last 5 years has been woeful.
Too busy picking up 2nd rate footballers from Sydney.

Harry Grant and Aidan Grace are pretty handy recruits from the past season.
Plus, retaining Hosko feels nearly like a 'recruitment'. Many of us were concerned he may not go on next year.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Centrals have signed Aaron Nietschke from Melbourne.

Hoping to play some senior footy later in the season.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4727093934023789&id=130956916970870&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile

Great to have him back; praying he has better luck with injuries from now on.
by bulldogproud
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gazzamagoo wrote:So there's 2!!

Afraid so... we need to move Elizabeth closer the CBD. We would also have Chris Jansen then :)
by bulldogproud
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Central District Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of Bailey Reeves & Billy McCormack.

Bailey arrives to Centrals from the Suns VFL and Academy program and has had very positive reports from CDFC past player and current GC Suns Senior Coach Stuart Dew. Bailey’s game is moulded on high work rate and love of the contest. We welcome Bailey to the Club and trust he will add to our group through his ability to play multiple roles across the forward line and midfield.

We welcome Billy to the Club from VFL footy with Frankston. Although used as a defender in the VFL, at 199cm and super athletic Billy played his NAB league footy with Eastern Ranges in 2018-2019 as Ruck / Forward. This is where we trust Billy can add to our playing group and are excited to see him around the ball working with our Mids.
by bulldogproud
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Should rename this thread the Central District Thread

It pretty well has been since the old bulldog banter forum closed!

Great to see that Central supporters keep their interest in the club despite lean seasons. You would expect a drop-off of posts from most teams' supporters when life is tough. Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another new player for Norwood

https://norwoodfc.com.au/news/thomas-graham-signs-with-norwood/

Didn't see this one coming. Maybe there are some tough salary cap related player decisions being made at CDFC.

Tom showed glimpses of potential during his time with us but at this point I’d still categorise him as a project player… good luck to him in his next chapter.

I am very disappointed to lose Tom; I believe he has the making of a very good player and that Norwood's gain will prove to be our loss. Also disappointed to lose Dylan Morton and Wyatt Patterson. Wyatt's form in the Ressies when he came back from injury was excellent and I would have loved him to continue.
I think we will need to gain a couple more key recruits before we can say our 2022 squad looks better than our 2021 one. We have done well with targeted recruiting so far but there are still gaps.

Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gazzamagoo wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Not unexpectedly, Chris Jansen has stated that one of his key reasons for choosing Norwood over Central was the location of Norwood Oval - not easy to attract people to Elizabeth nowadays unfortunately.

Where's his new business located?

One km south of the CBD.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Excited to read on another thread Blake Launer is having a run with Centrals. Will add some grunt and razzle dazzle to the forward line

Yes, Ex-Crow Blake Launer will be playing at Elizabeth this season,
apparently he's a bit of a niggler, similar to the sort of stuff the Twins used to be famous for.
we need someone with a bit of aggro, hopefully he'll get support from bigger teammates lol.

He will be joined by Jamie Jones from Nightcliff, as soon as Nightcliff's season in Darwin has finished.
This lad seems pretty handy, picked up 3 BOGs this season, from the backlines.

Some very good comments re Jamie on the AFLNT website upon his selection for the Allies last year:

Jamie Jones:
Jones is part of the SEDA school program in Darwin. He is known to be a very versatile player and proved he is a key player at either end of the ground while playing for the Territory in an Under 16 national carnival in Queensland last year. His attention to detail, professional approach, drive and hunger to get the best out of himself in order to better his game is second to none.

Love the last sentence in particular.
by bulldogproud
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Be handy if we could find a ruckman
Plus a key forward
With a couple of excellent key defender acquisitions Fraser Fort can concentrate as a full time fwd option alongside Aiden Grace and Hosko.

We clearly lack a genuine big man capable of dominating the taps .
Billy McCormack will likely be the main ruck. He's not going to win a lot of ruck contests but is a genuine ball winner around the ground with a big tank.

Jacob Thomson might get an opportunity if he gets himself fit.

I may be going out on a limb here but are tap ruckmen all that important? After all, when we won the 2004 GF by 125 points, we lost the vast majority of taps but won the clearances handsomely. It is only about 10% of taps that go to clear advantage on average... we have shown we can rove to the opposition ruckman and totally nullify their effect. Although it would be nice to win those '10% of clear advantages', I don't think we are losing much by not having a genuine tap ruckman. It is the marks a ruckman takes that is more important IMHO.
by bulldogproud
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Glenelg have extended Brett Hand's contract until end of 2023.

That is Handy; I bet the extension didn't cost an arm and a leg either.
by bulldogproud
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial matches

Total of 6 "stanzas" with league players concentrating in first 3 and ressies in next 3.
Dogs 15 goals combined to South 5 goals.

From a Doggies perspective the appetite for a contest was evident and ball handling was surprisingly efficient.
Looked very fit.
Whilst we lack any genuine ruck sized tall we had a lot of guys over 6 foot who may well prove tough match ups.
Aiden Grace used on ball looked a million dollars with Grant and Trav looking very sharp.
Dorizzi had some very good moments up forward and McCormack & Fort worked ruck well as a tandem and up forward.
Beuchner is a sound solid defender which allowed Llewellyn and Montgomerie the opportunity to fly for more balls.
During the second match up, Cowham and McDonald were impressive on ball and George Kendall made sure he impacted on every forward contest.

South were reliant on more short kicking than hands for movement and often missed targets which reminded us all its only February.

Pleased to hear that Darcy McDonald played well; one of my students from last year, a top young lad.
by bulldogproud
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

gazzamagoo wrote:Norwood at $7.50?
I hardly recognise their league team!
Maybe $17.50

And how can We be $29, everyone reckons we won't even make the finals,
shouldn't We be about $1,000?

The decimal place was accidentally included; we are actually $2 900.
by bulldogproud
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2

Sturt are obviously looking to be Athletic this year.
by bulldogproud
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R4 Central v Adelaide

The only one of those four matches I would write ourselves off in is against Glenelg. The Eagles 2022 version is yet to convince me, Norwood is a 45/55 game for us (with a bit of luck, we can make it 51/49) and Sturt are still a very young team, likely to have some inconsistencies. We may not win any of them, but we certainly have chances in them.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although the Eagles were quite impressive on Monday, I will be an optimist and believe that we can beat them, especially as they will be coming off a five-day break and will be shattered at their loss. I am confident we can beat Sturt and will beat Norwood, giving us great confidence to go close to springing a surprise win over Glenelg.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although the Eagles were quite impressive on Monday, I will be an optimist and believe that we can beat them, especially as they will be coming off a five-day break and will be shattered at their loss. I am confident we can beat Sturt and will beat Norwood, giving us great confidence to go close to springing a surprise win over Glenelg.
Cheers
So, we will go undefeated from now on?

I may be a foolish optimist, but not a complete fool ;)
We CAN win three of the next four; will be happy if we win two of them but gutted if we don't win any, especially if we are not competitive. The silver lining about our club at the moment is that they are having a 'red hot go'. This is all we can really ask of our boys.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2022

McCormack's injury is not good news but could be a lot worse,
out for about 6 weeks with a damaged MCL (medial collateral ligament).
Might see him not get picked up in the mid-season draft.
Should be back in time for our surge toward the finals lol :D ;)

I sure hope that he is indeed back for our surge towards them... as I believe the first finals we may participate in may be about 2024 or 2025 ;)
by bulldogproud
Thu May 05, 2022 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Maybe don’t hold the mortgage but we have a decent share of it!
All I’m trying to articulate is that Dogs fans might be losing a bit of perspective. Some seem to forget that we were mighty relived just to win a final after a 20 odd year drought .. let alone allow ourselves the luxury of thinking we could win that one flag that would send us all to our grave happy.
Expectations obviously higher nowadays..

I'm happy because, after years of crap footy & crap thrown at us from other supporters, I witnessed 9 premierships.
I'm lucky now in that I have other interests,
footy ain't the be all and end all & I'm not going to have a stroke over footy.
But it is a flaw in your character if you need to constantly criticise and berate,
it gets you nowhere at all, try being constructive!
Put a smile on your dial!

Also, despite going through a tough period at the moment, we can still look at a very proud record of 9 premierships and only 2 wooden spoons, with our last one being in 1977. No matter how hard we have been travelling, there has always been another club doing it tougher.
We may need to enjoy smaller successes at the moment, such as taking heart at our Ressies defeating Sturt on the weekend despite having lost to them by 10 goals just a fortnight ago.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!

Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.

On the contrary, we have to reeducate them when they come back from independent school programs into playing their roles instead of running around like unregistered dogs trying to get every kick they can. I don't know what they try to each them at school footy, but, it's certainly not structure...

I would be extremely surprised if that was the case nowadays, particularly when you look at who heads up the football program at the independent schools:

St. Peter's - Josh Francou
PAC - Matthew Slade
Rostrevor - James Allan
Scotch - Ben Nelson
Immanuel - Mark Bickley
Westminster - Tim Weatherald
Sacred Heart - Jon Symonds

Are you truly saying that these veterans of the SANFL system allow their players to 'run around like unregistered dogs' and have no idea how to prepare them for the SANFL???
by bulldogproud
Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11 Eagles v Centrals

Dogs 11.12(78)
Eagles 5.13(43)

Goals: Pres Lange Fort 2 Ollsson Trav Shaw Grace Whitlum

Best: Trav Hoskin Fort Pres Lange Iles Cowham Llewellyn

Agree with that list, UK, but I would go so far as to list this as an 'all played well' effort. I thought that every one of our boys had key moments today. The coaching staff seem to know what they are doing in playing Hosko back and Pres forward... when needed. I also thought both Ryan and Zac did wonderful efforts against the Menzels today.
Never before have I been more happy to be out in my prediction by 100 points ;)
There is no doubt that the spirit and effort is there in these boys... the last two weeks have proven that. We just need a key marking forward and a little more cleanness in our disposals and we may win at least a couple more this year.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 Central v Sturt

Cant expect to kick 6-16 and win missed some gettable shots that we shouldve kicked .

On the right track though .

Agreed. If we can keep the nucleus of this side together for next season and add a tall marking forward to the team, we should be able to well and truly compete for the five next season. I see our progression somewhat like that of Sturt last season.
by bulldogproud
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 Dogs vs Power Reserves

Here is an email from Greg Edwards, explaining why we are playing Saturday night.

G'day Gary, playing Saturday night because Alberton Oval is under construction and being Ports home game, they get the opportunity of finding the alternative. We wanted to play it at Elizabeth during the day, but the Power are playing at 4.00pm at Adelaide Oval. With our Ressies playing at Norwood at 10.20am, we asked to play it 1.30pm at Woodville so our support staff could get to both, but they rejected that as it clashed with the AFL game. They ended up with a night game only so their AFL staff could get there after the AFL game. We didn't have a choice in the end. Cheers

And, "Yep, their emergencies can and probably will play. They'll have around 9 ins from last week it looks like."

If the prime reason was to have their support staff available to assist at the SANFL match, surely they should have opted for Friday night? It is going to be a heck of a rush for them to get from their AwFuL match (4pm start) to Woodville Oval (7:40pm) in time to be useful for their players. I would say that their prime reason for having the match on Saturday night is for their AFL emergencies to play, thus giving them their strongest team possible.
Btw, how many Saturday night matches have been played in the SANFL lately? I doubt whether any of our boys would have played in one.
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17 Centrals vs Norwood Sat

To our club's credit, we had wins in the Ressies, U18s and U16s. This, after losing to Norwood in all three just two weeks ago (a quirk of the draw saw us playing Norwood two matches in a row in these grades), including a 74 point loss in the U18s. So close to a clean sweep today against a top club - well done, Doggies.
by bulldogproud
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CDFC 2022

TDJ44 wrote:Definitely need to improve the midfield, plus a genuine fwd.
Fort not a fwd,he's better in the ruck or at CHB.

It would be nice for 'Bunger' to come home next year and bring Josh Kennedy with him ;)
Chances: Buckleys... but one dares to dream.
by bulldogproud
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal 2022

Who polls the most from your club?

Trav Schiller always polls well and had some big games, however playing in the losing side a lot of his BOG efforts will result in minor placings on any day.
Pres also polls well.

From what I have seen against us, Young and Rokhar were outstanding, as was Knight but he didnt seem to be as effective.
Youngs game at Elizabeth was outstanding. Kicked 4 or 5 goals, clearances at will, over 30 disposals... all against a hard tag! OMG!

Will be nice to see Young in red, white and blue next year.
by bulldogproud
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qualifying Final - Adelaide v Norwood

My brain is etched with the trauma of my youth of Norwood looking like crap in April and May, but then slowly building to dominating finals series: 1978, 80, 84, 93, 99, 2010....

At the same time we take the inverse trajectory....

'84 wouldn't have happened that way if Alan Stringer had not gone berserk in the Qualifying Final though. Glenelg lost Peter Carey and Central lost their whole half back line through suspension (Hannan, Nolan and Thomas) as a result of reacting to Alan Stringer throwing a series of haymakers (can't believe he didn't get pinged but four others did!). Instead, the third best team that year ended up with the flag :shock:
You leave my mate Alan alone, we had a beer together at my Step Dads 80th on the weekend. Great bloke! :D

Agreed, a bit similar to Chris and James Gowans. Wonderful people off the field, terrific players on it, but boy did the three of them ever suffer from white line fever! ;)
by bulldogproud
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mal wrote:With last month's form side of the SANFL , WA , missing finals , it makes NA the team to beat

In a strange world, the bottom two sides in the SANFL are probably in as good as form as, if not better than, the top two ;)
by bulldogproud
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With last month's form side of the SANFL , WA , missing finals , it makes NA the team to beat

In a strange world, the bottom two sides in the SANFL are probably in as good as form as, if not better than, the top two ;)
Whilst I know you're kidding North won 3 out of their last 4 by a total of 115 points, Adelaide won 2 of their last 4 by a total of 95 points, West won 2 of their last 4 by a total of 5 points and Central lost their last 5 games.
I don't quite think the bottom 2 sides are in as good as form, if not better than, the top 2 sides. ;)

True, but we ended up within a goal of three of the top five sides in those matches ;)
We are probably in as good form as Norwood, Sturt and Glenelg at present... that goes for Westies too :D
by bulldogproud
Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

True, but we ended up within a goal of three of the top five sides in those matches ;)
We are probably in as good form as Norwood, Sturt and Glenelg at present... that goes for Westies too :D

F*** applying that logic given we were within 1 pt of Centrals when the siren sounded at the end of the 2009 2nd semi final we can be considered premiers as we were almost as good as them

The reality is you were winless in the last five rounds the only team to be. There’s a strong argument that you ended the season as the worst team in the comp.

So genuine question do you want share your 2009 flag or acknowledge where you are really at in the 2022 season?

Yes, over the full season, we definitely deserved to finish ninth. However, the upswing in form by both West and Central in the final few weeks of the season, when neither had anything to play for, has me feeling more confident about the chances of those two clubs in 2023 than a currently stumbling Glenelg who appear to have their best days behind them.
by bulldogproud
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

gazzamagoo wrote:Travis Schiller is an OUT for 2023.

Wishing Trav and his wife a great overseas trip next year, but boy will we miss him!
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New SANFL Book

Just purchased a fantastic new book that covers the years 1964-1990. Written by Ben Porter, it is titled '10 Clubs for 27 Years', the Golden Age of the SANFL. I would recommend it to all SANFL football fans who loved that era.

https://australianauthors.store/porter-ben/#:~:text=10%20Clubs%20for%2027%20Years%E2%80%93The%20Golden%20Age%20of%20the,of%20football%20in%20this%20state.

https://online.flipbuilder.com/bvndf/rtje/
by bulldogproud
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree he sounds like a good appointment.

If the only issue people don't want to live Elizabeth his in for a tough gig unless he can build a beach in Elizabeth :lol:

If the living and training distance is the main issue for recruits I don't see how we can avoid trying some kind of training format where one session a week is held in more of a city location or maybe one night a week (Monday being the lightest) they hold a city/country session albeit there will be challenges with trainers/coaches etc. Are they still required to do Sunday rehab sessions at the club.....could players be trusted to do rehab themselves on that day saving them a trip back to the beff.

If we cant ever rely on getting good quality recruits coz of location we are in some strife given its been documented on here by many that we face a heap of challenges with our metro region due to the demographic.

Just think the club really needs to think outside the square......

Maybe we need to recruit more like the Combe boys who were travelling from Crystal Brook to Prospect 3 times a week last season.

Maybe Edwards can find that magic key which has seen North be able to find talented country boys Combe x2, Lachie Wilsdon, Sam McInerney, (Matt Longbottom & Charlie Dinning who will be top 3 in the ressies B&F and look league prospects) 3 of them are not even from Norths country zone......i hope we aren't still looking in country NSW for new talent.

I am excited by hopefully the change Edwards and Ross bring.......looking forward to this off season.

I was also thinking about the possibility of a city location for training but thought it would work adversely on our players from the Barossa - a vital area for us. With petrol prices as they are, our ressies players who travel are probably ending up paying more to play than they receive in match payments. Could X-Convenience offer some sort of deal to our players that would bring transport costs down? This may only have a small impact but every cent helps.
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 League Grand Final - North v Norwood (Sun 18/9 @ 3p

Nearly a late scratching from Norwood today - a few North supporters tried to maim Matt Panos or offer him laxatives ;)
Naw, from all of his work colleagues we wish Matt all the best on Sunday. May he have a blinder no matter the actual match result.
Matt is an incredibly nice person, as well as being one heck of a player... definitely my equal-favourite non-Central player, alongside Jonno Beech.
Am blessed to know these two wonderful young men.
by bulldogproud
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree it happens to all clubs problem is we dont have enough talent or depth to be losing 3 of our best players.
Going to need some good recruiting .

It's very early days, the season isn't over yet.
The Club is going hammers & tongs to recruit as many players as possible,
if you throw enough shtick, some will stick!

On a very positive note, we were well represented by 7 young men this morning in the U17 Futures match. We have some very good young players coming through the system. We admittedly don't have the depth of other clubs in the juniors but our top level all seem to have promising futures.

Also, I hear that Big Phil and Gazza have started pre-season training, to fill any gaps we have next season ;)
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just heard that Norwood's final training session and match-day-eve meeting were held at my College (yesterday). No wonder they won!! ;)
Big Phil, I think that Magdalena, Gazza, you and I may need to petition to change some of Central's training session locations lol
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

best side on the day won

Interesting stat Norwood 81 hitouts North 23 Harry clearly BOG

... and yet North won the clearances comfortably :shock:
Shows how over-rated tap ruckmen can be. The difference with Harry is that he does a huge amount around the ground; thoroughly deserving of the Jack Oatey.
Congratulations to Jackson Kelly and Connor McLean on their flags - pity we couldn't win one for you at the Ponderosa.
Commiserations to Lachlan Grubb on just missing out on a flag.
Congratulations to all the Norwood supporters on here - well done; enjoy. Pity we don't have our Grand Final a week after the AwFuL so that you could enjoy a long weekend.

Finally, what a difference Matt Panos makes. Norwood looked like they may miss the finals completely before he returned. Not only a wonderful young man but, please forgive me if I am wrong, but possibly the spiritual leader of the players?

North supporters, yes, sad to lose all three this weekend, but you did claim one flag - the Women's. On the other hand, we pretty much finished bottom everywhere.
by bulldogproud
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree it happens to all clubs problem is we dont have enough talent or depth to be losing 3 of our best players.
Going to need some good recruiting .

It's very early days, the season isn't over yet.
The Club is going hammers & tongs to recruit as many players as possible,
if you throw enough shtick, some will stick!

On a very positive note, we were well represented by 7 young men this morning in the U17 Futures match. We have some very good young players coming through the system. We admittedly don't have the depth of other clubs in the juniors but our top level all seem to have promising futures.

Also, I hear that Big Phil and Gazza have started pre-season training, to fill any gaps we have next season ;)

Are you looking through my window?
I just did 40 sit-ups! :D
Time to get fit for my 60th next year!

Young fella, could you please do an extra 20 for this aged Dog sometime? ;)
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He'd be a ruckman at Centrals, that's how short we are :D Could’ve made a effort to keep McLean, problem solved ;)

Unfortunately, never ever going to happen. Being employed at Norwood Primary, it was too easy for Connor to train and play for Norwood.... plus the lovely smell of those brown paper bags lingers in the air when you are that close to the ground.

You keep moaning about that and we’ll keep recruiting and being successful ;)

That's okay, we've still won five more premierships in the 2000s than you have ;) (and zero wooden spoons since 1977).

Still, I wouldn't mind adding to that before I die - and am not sure we will.
by bulldogproud
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |