Search found more than 2954 matches

Return

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

Correct, unfortunately due to personal reasons Carey was unable to commit fully 100% to this season. Whilst he's stepped back from the head coaching role, he will still be around the club taking on a mentor role and assisting with the transition and upskilling of the incoming coach + lower grade coaches.

It's a blow for us, but at the end of the day it's community sport, and work/family/life/health all come first, and we respect and appreciate that - and also the difficulty he had in coming to this decision after the season we had last year and the relationships he was able to form.

This season was going to be his last anyway, it's just forced out hand a little sooner.

We are incredibly thankful for the time and energy he put in over the past 12 months, and helping to deliver us a premiership + promotion out of D7. He helped set us on the path we want to be on, will forever be a premiership coach and mate and I look forward to him and his family remaining around the club in some capacity moving forward.
by The Bedge
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If EP don't win the flag, it'll be the biggest choke and failure in AdFL recent history.
by The Bedge
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

Genuine question.

Is depression, mental illness, etc far more prevalent these days or is it just more out in the open and acknowledged rather than swept under the carpet?

Certainly the latter and only for the better IMO.

However, only recently have I discussed the resilience the "younger" people today seem to possess, not saying there's a link between clinical depression / mental illness and intestinal fortitude but the line is sometimes blurred by those who are finding their way in the modern world. I don't envy the millenials one bit.
It's both for me.. It's definitely more acknowledged and spoken about, but I feel like there is a significant increase in this area, and I blame social media / tech / apps etc to be honest.

The expectations for people are higher, they put "their best lives" out on Insta, Snapchat, FB and most of the time make it look perfect, and it's a hard life to maintain but also sets an unrealistic expectation or standard for others.. then you have apps like Tinder etc. that require nothing except a swipe of the finger to select a partner - again setting unrealistic expecations and standards.

I also feel that whilst there is a strong emphasis and focus on mental health - understanding it and discussing it - I'm not completely sold that the majority really give a shit.. more that they feel warm and fuzzy to let you know "my doors always open" when in reality, they are not.
by The Bedge
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Why didn't Head move up to #4 when Smith opened?
by The Bedge
Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm so confused how this Day 1 of the test will work.

No acknowledgement of Australia Day? Will Day 1 opening proceedings still be the same?
Will they still have a welcome to country? How will that be received - and equally how will it be given?
Will they have representation of the Aboriginal Flag anywhere?

Whilst the country is divided around the date, I don't believe NOT acknowledging the day is more hurtful and divisive.

Why can't they acknowledge both sides of the line that the day represents for different people, and hope that a level of maturity prevails and sport unites, and everyone can enjoy the cricket in a harmonious and celebratory environment?

As a side note, I can remember doing the National Indigenous Championships (formerly Imparja Cup), and the Aus Day ODI at Adelaide Oval used to be a platform for the squad to be introduced and acknowledged regarding the upcoming championships... never thought anything else about it, and personally enjoyed a few froths on the hill after with mates who were dressed in their Aussie bogan best.

Having said that, I've always been an advocate of changing the date, but I've never begrudged anyone that celebrates the day and what the day is supposed to represent. Each to their own.
by The Bedge
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Don't care much for Brahma at all. I acknowledge there are some good people associated with the club, but that's it. Guys like Matt Leigh have my respect - he stuck fat last year as coach when they could barely field a side after all their "premiership stars" left in droves.

They seem content being a powerhouse D7 side - where were all these "premiership stars" last season when the club was teetering on the brink of folding? This year they're gunning for their THIRD division 7 flag within FIVE seasons.. let that sink in. Strut around like peacocks when the going is good in the lowest grade, but all go cowering or chasing greener pastures when it looks like their is work to be done.

Clubs can operate however they like - I don't even care if clubs pay the stupid sums of money that are being spoken about out at Brahma - but for me what irritates me is the way they promote themselves when the going is good.. it borders on arrogance and bragging.. and the way they all get around themselves is puke worthy. By all means promote your club if you think it's in the best interests, but bit of humility wouldn't go astray either.

The nerve of their coaches contacting literally every player at our club - and then having the audacity to ask if we had a trainer for them was laughable.

I don't see them trying to make any effort to actually be a club - investment in junior programs, sustainability for the long term.. every time we have been there their own players / fans don't even stick around (unless it's a GF). The solution seems to be buy a team. no doubt they'll be cock-a-hoop this year running around winning games.. but at what cost?

At least clubs like Central United started a kids program and are putting work in.

Brahma's only saving grace was that Westies were kicked, coz if they weren't I doubt Brahma would have a club.
by The Bedge
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jan to Sept: D7 is shit football, players are all fat, useless and slow.. no one is worth a pinch of shit.
Sept to Dec: Let's raid D7 clubs of their best players.
by The Bedge
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It’s division 7 footy surely you don’t pay fat useless blokes to play this standard
No club in any division pays fat useless blokes - that's why they play C grade. 8)

Harsh view on D7 though - standard does drop away sharply, but there are some handy footballers running around, and some fit younger ones.. just not enough of them across individual clubs compared to higher divisions.
by The Bedge
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:Test team of the year 2023

Should please a few on here :)

Usman Khawaja
Dimuth Karunaratne
Kane Williamson
Joe Root
Travis Head
Ravindra Jadeja
Alex Carey
Pat Cummins (C)
R Ashwin
Mitchell Starc
Stuart Broad

Clearly whuffer didn't pick the side :P
by The Bedge
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

locky801 wrote:Plus they have been two of our more in form batsman (whoops sorry batpersons) in recent times

You could've just said "batters" :lol:
by The Bedge
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFLW Season 2024

gadj1976 wrote:Two knee injuries to be precise. An absolute jet who, if she can keep her body right will be in the AFL very soon.

She's definite quality - elite foot skills, tough contested ball winner and surprisingly fast.

Her and her boyfriend to potentially get drafted same year aww how cute. :lol:
by The Bedge
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Brodlach wrote:Or didn’t pay what they promised

but if they didn't get paid, then technically they wouldn't have over spent? :P
by The Bedge
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not a lawyer or a learned man.. but surely an organization like SANFL wouldn't waste time and resources on pushing forward with this if they didn't have strong evidence that Gaza had messed up - and not just go off the word of players?
by The Bedge
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In all seriousness, Eastern Park are going to be incredibly hard to beat.

Yes they had a tough year last year only winning 2 games, but they lost another 3 by less than 10 points and scored over 100 points in 5 of their losses. They were potent.

Before last year they've carried a win percentage of 55% in the previous 6 seasons including a couple of prelim finals - one being in D4 in a tough comp. Their winning percentage stacks up as good as if not better than most in the league over that period - and 55% would see you play finals more often than not.

They've managed to retain most of their players, they've brought back almost everyone that has been involved in previous successful seasons and they've added some potency to that with acquisitions such as Luke Buckby and Luke Smith. They will have one of if not the most damaging forward lines in the competition, complimented with proven ball winners through the middle third.

I think they have chinks in their armor of course, but on their deck at Dwight they'll prove to be almost unstoppable - there's 9 wins straight off the bat.

Big things happening down at Eastern Park - you can feel the buzz - across all their programs and levels.. only a fool would discount them.
by The Bedge
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Telling statement …

“I’m alert to money going out of the club’s accounts and the money coming in from sponsors,” Mr Rosella said.

“It absolutely could not have come from the financial resources of the Gaza Sport and Community Club.”

Which translates to …

Do you think we’re stupid, we used accounts off the books.
Literally what my 1st thought was! :lol:
by The Bedge
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately Ingle Farm have had two clubs back out of trial games this pre-season.. so seeking an opponent for Saturday, 23 March.

Happy to travel, or host, not fussed. Looking ideally at A/B/C or a A and B/C combined. Preferable for a D5 / D7 standard..

If anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me.. 0455 268 590 :heart:
by The Bedge
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Spoke to a potential recruit for footy this morning...

Player: I want between xx and xx a game..
Me: You're dreaming! No Chance!
Player: I got xx at Gaza last year
Me: Yeah and look where that got them!
Player: I'm worth it.
by The Bedge
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If they were hit in the TPPS space, what’s to stop them just paying under the table or rorting the system again?

It wouldn’t seem to me this situation has put them off, chatting to players who have so far recommitted they are still being offered a healthy wage.
by The Bedge
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't want to be the one that sounds like an arsehole.. but.. why should the SANFL or anyone else go easy on them, or be lenient?

Through this whole fiasco - before and during - they had the opportunity to co-operate, come clean, admit guilt and work through it. Was talk of large portion of the fine being suspended if they complied.

Instead they hired a lawyer, fought it, declared innocence until the 13th hour and now people are starting to think poor Gaza can't have them fold?!

You make your bed you lie in it.
by The Bedge
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the umpire has probably got it wrong...

I guess it comes down to what defines an appeal.

Came across a bit premeditated from the umpire, almost like he was looking for that and somewhat new the aussie players had been somewhat not showing the umpires enough respect during their appeals.
No way, I'm with the umpire on this one.. not hard to show a modicum of interest in the appeal - instead of just expecting the umpire to go upstairs - reeks of arrogance and laziness by the Aussies.

Lesson learned for them.

Won the game, get over it.
by The Bedge
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

They were tough conditions for bowling.

Have to laugh, otherwise you cry.. what hurts more is coming home and having a house full of women and kids tell me I’m rubbish :lol:
by The Bedge
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Definitely a day I'd rather forget.. had some rough days in my time, but nothing like the weekend - genuinely had no idea what to do.
Even considered going the Trevor Chappell and bowling underarm. :lol:

Woody hit them hard and long though - few of our lads were saying if it was on a normal ground he'd be out, but these were maximum on any ground! One of our players even decided it was easier to field behind the fence outside the boundary.

Sadly, the Enfield A grade is in struggle town, the average age is closer to 50 than 40.. I've struggled with motivation to play all year but lack of players and I can't say no when asked - and it reflects in my performances. Saturday we butchered a run out in the 3rd over, then dropped the opener in the 4th.. dropped him again a couple overs later, then it went downhill at a rate of knots.

Would've been enjoyable for spectators to view.

bowling figures.jpg
by The Bedge
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All jokes aside, don't think enough praise, credit and appreciation has gone to Woody on his effort.

The bloke hit 69 off 19 balls! His 50 came in 13 balls.. granted he got a some snot deliveries, but it was power hitting at its finest. How many blokes can come out to bat and hit a ball that hard and far from the first ball?!

It was an amazing effort really, and whilst I was on the receiving end of the bulk of it, you can't help but appreciate the ability of man.

He's got over 700 runs for the season averaging over 60.. two weeks ago he scored 95* with 13x 6's.. the guy is in some serious form!

Well done Woody :partyman: =D>
by The Bedge
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

wenchbarwer wrote:Pretty sure payment for recreational activities is tax free

Is that under a certain threshold only though?
by The Bedge
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely they could get an A Grade coach for free....albeit it might not be the perfect candidate but surely there is a bloke out there who would volunteer to have a crack at an A Grade gig with a club with a long history. Like i said might not be the best candidate but beggers can't be choosers.
Need someone who is very resolute - would be a very tough gig if you're on a hiding to nothing each week, need to keep people focused, aligned and ultimately you're investing 12 months of the year as a volunteer.
by The Bedge
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wasn't saying there wouldn't be - or that Gaza wouldn't find someone who would do it for nothing.. just saying don't think putting someone at the helm is as simple, straight forward or risk free as you make it sound.

Anyway, i'm over this Gaza chat.. time to focus on the season. :D
by The Bedge
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

am Bays wrote:IF the national selectors have requested JFM to open (like they told NSW 13-14 years ago) he's opening for at least until the end of next season..

When he was 7 living in Victoria?
by The Bedge
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluedemon wrote:who is likely to drop out of Div 5?

No one, was just saying if it happened.. we would consider :lol:
by The Bedge
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can’t blame him.. it’s not often I’m wrong. 8) :lol:
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2024

stan wrote:He couldn't have picked a worse time to flatten someone, could get anything but likely hood only 4 - 5 weeks.

Surely gets more than SPP?!
by The Bedge
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BenchedEagle wrote:Very impressive umpiring performance from Enfield Utd volunteers@ Dauntsey,,handled the game very well.

Surely deserve a a granny umpiring spot?

Grade 1 or it's nothing. 8) :lol:
by The Bedge
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Bedge wrote:Unpopular opinion perhaps, but no one cared when other clubs had to be the whipping girls to Eyre during their dominance across both A/B grade the last however many years.. should make them stay in the top flight, regardless of who they've lost..

Guess whose into the Grade 2 Grand Final...
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heated out in finals is the worst.

You play the whole year to size the upper hand. While it feels hollow and/or empty, in 10 or 2 years time you sit there and bask in the season that was and celebrate the totality of it all, opposed to one or two individual performances.
Heated out this week has it's benefits - those who lost the qualifying final get a second crack, and those who are in the GF already don't win by a heated out game this week.

Downside is, makes the "middle" finals week pointless (LO grades)
by The Bedge
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

I believe when the umpire consulted with square leg the first time, he asked if the batsman had hit it. The square leg umpire said he couldn't tell from where he was, hence why the not out decision stood. Then Sayers obviously disagreed and had an aggressive encounter with the umpire which then prompted the umpire to consult with the umpire a second time which was asking if the player had caught it. The square leg umpire confirmed that it had carried and was caught.
The decision was then changed to out,

That is my understanding of the situation, however without being out in the middle at the time this may not be 100% accurate.
That makes no sense - why would you first ask if he hit it.. not get any clarity.. then ask if it carried.. then give it out?

When / if he first asked if he hit it, and the square leg gave an answer of uncertainty, that should’ve been the end of it.

Appeal for LBW - not out.
They claim catch - umpire doesn’t know if he hit it (not great)
Asks square leg - he doesn’t know. Not out.

Move on
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

Was it that bad....

The main mistake being the umpire didnt look where the ball went after it hit the pads.

It seemed the umpire was purely focused on the LBW which he gave not out because it hit the bat but he failed to follow where the ball went to see the catch. Yep a mistake but not the worst thing weve ever seen on a cricket field.

He obviously needed to speak to the other umpire as he couldnt just take the fielders word for it.......

Not sure what was being said between the umpires.
No, the mistake being the umpire doubting himself not once but twice, allowing the oppo captain to get in his face and abuse him, and allow him to argue the decision.

He shouldn’t have entertained them beyond the LBW appeal he turned down.
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concussion

whufc wrote:I'm pretty critical of the AFL and even the SAAFL. Fair play to the SAAFL in particular, it has done some great work in regards to the stamping out non football behavior and dangerous tackles etc.

Sort it out.
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BLCA 2016-17

Good time for Will O'Brien to make his 1st A grade 100.
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not saying i agree or not but watching a lot of the inner sanctum looks at various professional sports its clear the majority of coaching is primarily process focused over results.
Because if you get the processes correct, the results take care of themselves.. but it doesn't diminish the priority of winning at the top level.
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

stampy wrote:6 overs in and no runs off the bat, wtf :shock:

Never happy you mob.. want them to bat time and you complain they're not scoring quick enough. :lol: :P
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Down the Hill wrote:10 openers have batted so far in the current shield games with a highest score of 35 from Whiteman. Australia has an opening bat crisis at the moment with not much light in a long tunnel.

Hard to see it improving with T20 the #1 version around the world.
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

beef wrote:What happened to Greenshields
Heard today he quit, must be struggling for numbers if A grade coach leaves this late. Unless its a time commitment issue

Both A/B Grade coaches gone, but if the rumors are to be believed it's player commitment issues being the straw that have broken the camels back.
by The Bedge
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sadly it reconfirms there simply is too many teams in the northern burbs. Could be wrong but it feels there is always one of the clubs who just cant fill a side. Was Smithfield, now Elizabeth. EP appeared to really struggle with the b grade last year, that wont be a problem this year.
No, sadly it just reaffirms that the merry go round of players are to the detriment of the clubs. They pick and choose where they play, when they play based on how that side is looking. When the going is good, they're all keen, when it looks like there is work to be done they drive 5min down the road to the next hot club.

Wasn't long ago Smithfield went from D7 to D4 and were flying... Elizabeth won the flag onto 3 years ago from memory.. Eastern Park almost made the D5 Grand Final a few years back. Brahma Lodge won a stack of flags in D7 and last year could barely field a one team, now they're all back.

Every club has a core group of committed players and hard working volunteers - but are let down by players who choose to take the easy path on the hunt for premiership success.

Using too many clubs is a cop out and shit excuse - don't hear clubs south of the CBD saying the same - Mitchell Park, Kenilworth, Flinders Uni, Marion, SHOC would all be within a stones throw of each other.. or to the West - Portland, Pt Districts, Henley, Seaton, Rosewater, North Haven etc.
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BulkEFC wrote:problem is everyone thinks they are worth coin and some desperate teams are willing to pay it.

Aint that the ******* truth! Amen!
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Biggest cluster of clubs in the State by a long way.
Almost like you're challenging me to try and prove you wrong! :P :lol:

It validates my point though - the issue isn't necessarily the number of clubs (albeit still a factor), but other circumstances i.e. players, interest levels, demographic, volunteers etc.
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:Odd......

Posted on here yesterday Jamie McCafferty was coaching Elizabeth A Grade.

Just saw Playford Council posted an advert 1 hour ago advertising the coaching gig at Elizabeth. Playford just didnt get the memo or Jamie not taking up the role after all.

I made it up ya goose. 8) :lol:
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial Games

wenchbarwer wrote:There's two BSRs??

Brinkworth Spalding Redhill
by The Bedge
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:Do you think they are going to be approved by the ADFL clubs when they are told they will need to pay to get into one minor away game a year. I would doubt it.

Don't pay, don't get in.
Don't get in, don't play.
Don't play, forfeit.
by The Bedge
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Boo ******* hoo.. dry your eyes elsewhere.

#Bark2Bark
by The Bedge
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2024

Booney wrote:Soldo BOG.

Enough Pirate Life brewskis for you pal.
by The Bedge
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FlagRoy Lions smash Woody South in trial.
by The Bedge
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |