Search found 181 matches

Return

Re: Grade Cricket

Thread starting to fire up!

Just need an umpiring controversy to decide the Port vs Eagles match this week and we'll be away
by Tony Clifton
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Head out for 50, Batting coach has plenty of work to do.

No footwork whatsoever in both innings.
He's having enough success that he's probably justified in sticking with his technique

However I'll be interested to see if he'll be able to cope in English conditions against Jimmy Anderson and co. The lack of footwork you've described would be exposed there if anywhere

His biggest issue in his first class career thus far has been his conversion of 50s into 100s
by Tony Clifton
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:The umpire wasn't really wearing batting inners was he?

He most certainly was.

Surely that's enough to get you off at the tribunal?

"In my defence Your Honour... (produces photo from the game)... look at what I was dealing with"
by Tony Clifton
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Lightning McQueen wrote:What movie title best describes the Redbacks?

Groundhog Day
by Tony Clifton
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sack Siddons

That's the same in all states though. Not specific to us.

Doesn't feel as though cricket in SA has ever pulled in the same direction. State coaches, high performance staff, SACA board, state junior coaches, grade clubs, premier league, 1st XI cricket... all with their own priorities/opinions and blaming everyone else when it goes wrong.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Junior games should go on even once a result has been achieved. The kids need to bat and bowl.

Only games it makes sense to stop are the stand alone one day/Twenty20 competitions where Net Run Rate is used as the separator.

Every few years the rules need a couple of astute cricket rules aficionados to go over them and rewrite. All the little changes, additions and errors over time means it ends up a bit messy. The poster above should be on the panel!
by Tony Clifton
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The current comp I play in goes off the W/L record 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss and then percentage if teams cant be separated on points. Cant be much fairer than that.
How do they work out percentage in that comp?

Not to sure to be honest. Here is the link.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/ladder.aspx?mode=0&id=LAD&entityid=5574
That's just a regular NRR calc isnt it? =(runs for/wkts against)/(runs against/wkts for).

By that, sides who play on smaller grounds will still hold a slight advantage over sides due to more runs generally being scored.
Nah, its's not Net Run Rate. Looks like they use a quotient

(Runs scored * Wickets taken) / (Runs conceded * Wickets lost)

Smaller grounds are no advantage because you'll also have more runs scored against you.

Score runs or take wickets... your quotient goes up.

Concede runs or lose wickets... your quotient goes down.

Personally I think this is the fairest system for competitions with two day matches and one dayers where you continue batting even after the score has been passed.

Net run rate is simply your run rate when you bat minus the opposition's run rate when you bowl. That is the best system for one day/T20 competitions where you stop once the score is passed.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If some clubs are struggling to fill those grades, that means that there's too many clubs. Not too many grades.

Weaker clubs dragging the competition down.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

tigerpie wrote:Atca threatened with disaffiliation over the pitch shortening fiasco for u12's.
What are your thoughts on playing on a Saturday after a Friday night u12's game with scuff marks just short of the danger area?

11 year olds will do stuff all to the pitch

Angst over nothing
by Tony Clifton
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluedemon wrote:Why don't the 1st grade play some 2 day games on a Saturday and Sunday earlier in the seasons?

Just trying to limit the amount of Sunday cricket I guess
by Tony Clifton
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2019-20

The Dark Knight wrote:Out of the Ashes and almost straight into domestic cricket! I already started a 19/20 domestic season topic lol.

Whoops!

Missed that sorry

Can the Modetators merge the two threads?
by Tony Clifton
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

What is the appeal of two day cricket?

It's not a test match. It's not a four day game. There's nothing sacred about it. Usually there is only one innings per team unless one team is garbage. It's basically a long one dayer played across two days.

Seems mostly like the ones who love two day cricket are the batters who block the living shit out of the ball and want to do that to their heart's content for hours. Or the military medium pace trundler whose idea of a good day of cricket is setting up from one end and bowling unchanged.

Bat every week. Only spend half days in the field. Sign me up. But only the lower graders get to enjoy this cricketing utopia.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

jackpot jim wrote:Confirmed today as they're laughing about a car crash they just heard outside the oval. WTF :roll:

To be fair it was a relief from talking about the car crash on the oval
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Should be an entertaining day's cricket

A shame we don't have a frontline spinner. Cooper will have to do the job!

He took 60% of our first innings.

#threewickettommy

Australia's long search for a test quality allrounder is finally over
by Tony Clifton
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2019/20

I'm surprised people are still bothering to criticise the Big Bash

We still have the exact same number of test matches and Shield games in an Australian season as we've always had. We're not missing out on anything

The BBL is an add on. Games on tv each night during the shitty summer tv period. If it's not your thing then just do whatever you did before it existed.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trans Tasman Trophy

Warner and Labuschagne putting on 60 odd and batting through the bulk of a difficult first session was crucial

Set up Australia's day
by Tony Clifton
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Computer Crashed wrote:Would like to see Graham Yates record when he played at Ingle Farm for a couple of seasons, can't find them on the ATCA site.
Best bat i had seen in ATCA.
He could do anything, was pretty good watching him from the other end.

He's still getting runs! Playing for East Torrens' 4th Grade
by Tony Clifton
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm all for promoting locals 95% of the time but this would be one of those 5% times

Would be a great result for us and for Australian cricket
by Tony Clifton
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Angler wrote:Having a week off before finals is ridiculous IMO. There’s a few things the association needs to sort out going forward.

Is Steve Hocking on the association committee?
by Tony Clifton
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I struggle to tell you two apart
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That’s got to be the end of Ferg.

Heard some interesting stories from people in the know:

1. Basically all the players hate Siddons, want him gone.
2. Siddons best mate is Tim Nielsen, would require him to sack him which wont happen.
3. Siddons/Nielsen going all out next year to save their jobs by targeting several players.
4. They want Renshaw, Cartwright and Maxwell.
5. Already mentioned they have cut Ross, Page and Dalton, rookies Spencer Johnson and Ben Pengelly too old next year so need full contracts, both probably cut also.
6. Amazingly, Harry Nielsen been upgraded with his contract to the next level by Daddy, so instead of getting $60 to $70k will be getting $120k, because apparently Tasmania have approached him and they dont want to lose him. Conflict of interest much??

Keith Bradshaw needs to step in and sack Siddons and Nielsen, third wooden spoon in a row and nobody is held responsible and sacked?? What an absolute joke!
Is Jason Dunstall available to have a look at things?
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Scoring runs has to be the #1 thing. That's the only reason you bat.

However it doesn't have to be smash every ball as a default setting. I would have thought you'd want kids to be developing:

1. Skill - how to play all the shots (drive, defend, cut, pull etc)
2. Decision making - which shot to play
by Tony Clifton
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How did Kelvin Smith go over in WA last season? Would he come home if he doesn't get a chance with WA at first class level? Is he more of a chance of getting a game with the Redbacks now the coach has gone, if he performs at Grade/2nd XI level (like he usually does)?
Played a couple of 2nd XI games. Made 81* in one innings

821 runs at 45 and 22 wickets at 19 at grade level so pretty solid. Made three tons.
by Tony Clifton
Tue May 26, 2020 1:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The core issue is too many grade clubs

This change is just circumventing it

Instead of fewer clubs we'll just make the 13 existing clubs smaller

Typical gutless SA Cricket.

Offer 10 Premier Grade Club licenses. Clubs have to make their case. Solved.
by Tony Clifton
Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A joint Jets/Trinity College facility would be ideal
by Tony Clifton
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hussey review has dropped. The search for a coach begins now apparently.

I wonder if the review findings will be made public? Or if it will be like the Crows one with a few palatable and non-specific dot points only made public with a quick mention that the board are doing a great job.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

Interesting listening to him on 5AA the other night, they asked if he had ever spent anytime with Warnie and said only a few minutes while he was commentating at AO.

Why wouldn't CA make sure Warnie does some work with any up and coming leggie in the country?
Good point, I'm not sure if Warne has done any work with Mitch Swepson but when on commentary during the test series last summer Warne was constantly promoting Swepson to either partner Nathan Lyon when the selectors want to pick two spinners in the test team or he be the one to take Lyon's spot once he retires. You'd hope CA would get Warne to work with Pope as he is a quiet exciting prospect.
Swepson does work with Craig Howard, the ex-Victorian spinner who was ruined by injuries
by Tony Clifton
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Every time you open your mouth you sound even more like a wanker than the time before.. You have no idea, you spat the dummy and left eastern park because Tuckers took your opening spot.. Your biggest achievement was knocking EP out the finals that year for Atco and you are to thick to realise you were playing against a bunch of 18 year olds who could not care less about the game.. If you played against us in the last 3-4 years since we’ve given a shit you wouldn’t have done **** all!

Just because you’ve never batted below 4 it doesn’t mean you are any good! The only person I ever hear speak about you, is you!

We’ve all seen enough of the absolute bullshit you post on here, you’ve genuinely got no idea about majority of the stuff you write about! Can’t believe half of the crap that comes out of your mouth honestly lol Davies and carman would both walk into any amateur cricket club and take the new ball! Tuckers would do the same with the bat

Just funny how now you are playing in some bottom feeding shit league, it’s the best in the state lol give it a rest honestly, making more and more people think you are a complete halfwit every time you post something
Glorious!
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You'd think a merger is effectively a ticket into the top division

Clubs who have been struggling may see the writing on the wall and think they're no chance of surviving/thriving if they get put in a second division so a merger might be the lesser of two evils.

Previously mergers have fallen through because remaining as a stand alone club in the highest division has been an achievable option. Take that option away and it will be interesting to see whether perspectives change.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

We haven't started very well.

Still, I'm going to wait until I see both teams bat on this pitch before deciding just how bad we are.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the joker wrote:North pines A grade needed 5 off the last ball. The number 11 who had never hit a six in his career. Clears the ropes

Glorious!

I hope someone had their phone out
by Tony Clifton
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Wade's shot in the first innings of a test match should be a career-ender.

A ridiculous brain implosion from a 33 year old?

That it's not a career-ender is a sign of how limited our batting stocks are at present.

Would be wrong to pick Pucovski at the moment unfortunately. Did anyone see him get hit in the Aus A game? He somehow knelt down to play a shovel, look-away pull shot. Hit flush on the head. Has a serious problem with playing the short ball and would be targeted mercilessly. Needs to to get both his health and technique right IMHO.
by Tony Clifton
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

I can believe that Pant would hug anyone who bought him food
by Tony Clifton
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PDCA playing the SA Outbacks on Karen Rolton Oval tomorrow night. Bloody decent side. I reckon the lure of playing on the second best oval in the state has got most interested. I'm sure we could nit pick the team but that's a pretty decent one, they've done a good job.

Justin DAVIES - Salisbury West
Travis McINTYRE - Salisbury West
Lachlan GOSS - Dublin
Brodie BARKER - Dublin
Riley BARKER - Dublin
Jamie HIBBETT - North Pines
Adam FREEMAN - North Pines
Dion LUCAS - North Pines
Justin CARMAN - Angle Vale
Aaron MEREDITH - Angle Vale
Nathan WARREN - Virginia
Anthony BASCOMBE - Virginia

Outbacks team

Sam Mattey - Burra CC
Lachlan Pointon - Eastern Districts CC
Cameron Sumner - Gumeracha CC
Evan Gregoric - Berri CC
Somerfield Adam (Capt.) - South Gambier CC
Murphy Short - Eastern Districts CC
Harry Degner (wk) - Rovers CC
Trent Goers - Tanunda CC
Jackson Murphy - Rovers CC
Ayden Smith - Paskeville CC
Jayden Crees - Goolwa CC
David Golder - South Gawler CC
Coach - Paul Pasculli
by Tony Clifton
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 2020/21

Strikers WIN with a bonus point

Look a much better team with Neser and Head in there plus Weatherald opening, even without Rashid Khan.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's just stating a fact.
Zero presence in their zone.
History

Needs to be irrelevant to any future
:roll:

Its not a relationship that local clubs need to repair. Instead how about they engage with their community and then they might gain some support and respect.
There's that open mind and forward thinking that makes SA cricket great! :D

*If* premier cricket goes through its biggest ever upheaval and multiple clubs get forcibly merged, resources are pooled in greater concentration at fewer clubs... then you'd hope that they'd run better. Things done wrong previously start being done properly.

However if even after all that there are stakeholders holding grudges from previous years and don't see this as an opportunity to start afresh then sheesh, let's cancel the sport.

Likewise if grade clubs who have had poor/non-existent relationships with their zones and ended up struggling and merging as a result carry on in the exact same way then we're stuffed as well.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Important thing is that Ryan King can play

Sure, needs to add a bit of maturity but that will come. Hopefully with Capel, Kelly x2, King there are a few SA kids starting to come through
by Tony Clifton
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So is it Uni vs WT, Kens vs Glen in A's

Glen vs WT, Kens vs Sturt in Bs?
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

So effing good! :lol: :lol:

That was the best bit of the whole day! Watching people sword fight and throw magical spells at each other :lol:
Yeah, it took me back to Grade 3.
It's tragic!

Grown adults running around on a Saturday afternoon in costumes, still trying to live out dreams from their youth

Plus this medieval stuff going on next door too
by Tony Clifton
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

My question is.... how did the media get this filming in the first place, Adelaide Now went with story, and the filming first and the rest of the media vultures followed suit. Who gave the filming to Adelaide now??? It was taken on a phone so how did they get it. Terrible story for girls footy, but footy in general.
It happened though

Whether it was in the media or not doesn't change what occurred

Worrying about the PR should be a long way down the list of concerns
by Tony Clifton
Wed May 26, 2021 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Community Cricket Structure

I also wonder whether cricket comps around SA have ever discussed this pop up style clubs with other sporting codes before.

I was apart of the amateur soccer league for an extended period and boy do they have all sorts of issues with this pop up parkland clubs, everything from them being unstructured, to moving grounds, to having no system, no accountability.

Its almost at a boiling point in amateur soccer and im not sure the league knows how to deal with it.
Netball definitely does

Clubs come from an absolute hodge podge of different backgrounds and set ups. Leagues are all over the place
by Tony Clifton
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

Invested parents are the key. They will be the drivers of a club's junior program. They are the ones who want their kids to be part of something decent and will do something about it, will have relationships with other families, schools, winter sports clubs etc

I feel for a 'club' that has committee members who are tied up with senior cricket also tasked with the responsibility of developing/starting juniors. Too much to do and they typically don't have the contacts to start with.

Easier said than done but identify a couple of mums/dads who have kids in the junior age group. Get them to run the show, clubs then just need to resource them rather than the same people run a bunch more stuff
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Minimum Chips wrote:Has Muggleton coached at Sturt before? I'm pretty sure he played there from memory.

Yes coached there in the early 2000s from memory
by Tony Clifton
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

I know Steve Waugh started the concept of wearing the same baggy green forever until he finally got some running repairs rather than replacing it. A few have carried on with what Waugh started. But Travis Head's SA baggy looks bloody horrible and surely he could try and get it re-dyed or something. I respect the ethos of continuing to wear the original you were presented, but have a little pride in how you present yourself as the team captain.

Carey's isn't much better and he has only been wearing it for 5 years, maybe they need to review who makes them

Too many beers poured over them after all our wins...
Lots of time spent out in the sun fielding

Our batting helmets still look brand new
by Tony Clifton
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2/153

Wicket looking just as flat as when we were bowling. Hopefully Carder or Head can get a big hundred. Or both of them.

Redbacks: Please don't collapse as a result of this post
by Tony Clifton
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

I used to play at a club in Perth where we had 8 teams and some really quality players (like ex-grade cricketers) would always want to play way below their level to dominate. Our 4th grade team would easily beat our 1st grade if they were to play each other leading to our top teams being pretty uncompetitive.
That stuff is culture poison
by Tony Clifton
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

If I was running a competition...

Three grades: A, B and C.

If a club enters one team only it is in the B Grade.

If a club enters two teams these teams are B Grade and A Grade.

If a club enters three teams these teams are B Grade, A Grade and C Grade.

For clubs with 4th, 5th, 6th... teams the additional teams follow the same sequence: B, A, C, B, A, C...

For large competitions with 12+ teams in a grade you might need divisions B1, B2, B3... with promotion/relegation. But teams can't go from A to B, B to C or vice versa. Clubs also can't have multiple teams in a division unless there is only one division available.

There is no mechanism available to move up and down grades or divisions outside of promotion/relegation.

What this might look like in a 'Hills Super League' just using last season's team numbers and ignoring any clubs who are on the move:

A Grade (28 teams)
A1 (10) - Hahndorf, Langhorne Creek, Lobethal, Nairne, Strathalbyn, Woodside, Aldgate, Meadows, Mt Lofty, Gumeracha
A2 (8) - Bremer Callington, Wistow, Flagstaff Hill, Kangarilla, Stirling, Cambrai, Lenswood, Palmer
A3 (10) - Echunga, Finniss, Macclesfield, Mt Barker, Bridgewater, Scott Creek Ironbank, Uraidla, Birdwood, Eden Valley, Paracombe

B Grade (35 teams)
B1 (11) - Ashbourne I, Hahndorf II, Lobethal II, Nairne II, Woodside II, Aldgate II, Basket Range I, Mylor I, Onkaparinga I, Lenswood II, Mt Torrens I
B2 (12) - Bremer Callington II, Langhorne Creek II, Macclesfield II, Nairne III, Strathalbyn II, Wistow II, Woodside III, Kangarilla II, Meadows II, Mt Lofty II, Eden Valley II, Gumeracha II
B3 (12) - Echunga II, Finniss II, Mt Barker II, Bridgewater II, Flagstaff Hill II, Scott Creek Ironbank II, Stirling II, Uraidla II, Birdwood II, Cambrai II, Palmer II, Paracombe II

C Grade (12 teams)
C1 (12) - Bremer Callington III, Hahndorf III, Langhorne Creek III, Lobethal III, Macclesfield III, Nairne IV, Strathalbyn III, Wistow III, Woodside IV, Aldgate III, Kangarilla III, Lenswood III

* I'm not familiar with the relative strengths of the three competitions so guessing here, mostly basing it on which clubs have multiple teams, who finished high on the ladder last season etc.
by Tony Clifton
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see Blake Gutschke back for Woodville
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was lining up for a beer at the Cumby one afternoon, about 3 deep in the line when a now ex cricketer moved their way to the front of the bar proudly proclaiming he was using the baggy green express line.

A real Dan Cullen move. :P

Nah it wasn't but he use to be a nightmare there as well. Its a shame coz the Cumby was a good venue.

This player actually has a really good rep from all reports but my experience with him he was a wanker.

Wasn't Tait either.
Ferguson?
by Tony Clifton
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |