Search found 2 matches

Return

Re: HFL Central Division

This money issue is such a difficult one. Unfortunately in many ways football has become about recruiting the most cashed up sponsors. I don't think anyone likes it and all clubs have contributed to the problem at some time or another. Some suggestions I think they could try:

1. Stick to the points system - clubs should only get extra points if the other clubs agree - 2/3's majority or something like that
2. Increase the points difference between bottom and top - give top less not bottom more
3. Reduce a players points at a slower rate from year to year
4. On top of the points restriction limit the number of new players (other than juniors) a club can recruit - a club like Uri's who have been top for so long recruiting a Delvins (I think that's his name?) this year just doesn't seem right. That's just an example not knocking them in particular as they obviously do a lot right in terms of retaining players
5. Clubs sign up to a code of conduct regarding player payments - with the clubs themselves enforcing breaches. Eg a max per any single player is set at $x per game - if 2/3rds of clubs feel a club has breached then they can be stripped of premiership points or removed from the comp

There is no single silver bullet that will fix the issue but perhaps a combination of measures might have an impact.

I don't feel 'sorry' for the dumb clubs who continually spend buckets of money on players, for no results. It's up to the clubs to stop the ridiculous amounts offered, if the champion plays elsewhere, so be it.
by Howard
Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

Interesting comment there Legs, unfortunately in constitutions and by laws etc there is very little room for flexibility, it has to be that way, or vested interests will get involved and before you know it the competition ends up a nightmare.

The HFL by laws were obviously interpreted by most clubs (including Echunga) meaning one thing (points for minor rd games only) during the season, and meaning something else (points accrued during finals) when Echunga were heading for Country division then those (original) by laws were ridiculous - can't we all see that and now agree?

So the board had very little room for such lateral thinking - that's why it allowed Echunga to move the motion at the SGM, to give the whole league the chance to vote (decide). Precedence was not taken into account by the judge, which, in a way is fair enough, he only deals by the exact wording of the by law(s) - so no matter how you try and explain it you (Echunga) are in Central on the legal technicality, and yes I do reckon if the points, at the end of the season means the premier CLUB is relegated then so be it.
by Howard
Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |