Search found 791 matches

Return

Re: CDFC 2023

I still have a bit of PTSD floating around from circa 2000-2005, but a strong Central adds another element to the comp. Plus, we're on a Merve Hughes style hatrick. I'd like to see that happen.

The Gowans Ends would be appropriate. Was there any others that played in all 9 premierships of that (unbelievable) era?

Slade??

Nup, Sladey finished at the end of 2008 i think,

Richie Cochrane & Daniel Schell played in every premiership season too.

Nah neither of them were in the 2000 side. Richie first was 2003 i believe. Sam McArdle and Kynan Ford were the big forwards in 2000. I think Ritchie and Paul Thomas won the reserves premiership in 2002 with Roy Laird and then got their first league one in 2023 under Lairdy as well. Albeit i think they both made their league debuts in 2000 (could be wrong on that) I think that's what Gazza was saying.
by RB
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Love to see a result come up in the 15th session of a test.

Agree that Root was a bit stiff.
by RB
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

I thought it was doing too much live. No problems here if umps are conservative where possibly going down leg, but yeah Wilson has no idea lol
by RB
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2022/2023

Bird got 94 wickets against SA (@ 21).

Peter Siddle really cashed against us - 77 wickets @ 17, with a S/R of 40.
by RB
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Of course no discussion about cashing in v SA is complete without reference to the ultimate flat track bully.

Nick Marsh stats in SS (100s/50s in brackets):
v QLD 1559 runs @ 56 (4/8)
v SA 2242 runs @ 55 (8/8)
v VIC 1498 runs @ 37 (4/6)
v NSW 1313 runs @ 35 (2/7)
v TAS 1735 runs @ 35 (2/14)

Certainly clocked up centuries against us for fun, although I was surprised about the average v Queensland being very high as well.
by RB
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You used to but I think much of it is free these days.
by RB
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

I reckon the squad announced for the A team to NZ is as curious for who was picked, and who wasn't.

Renshaw the only opening bat?

No Marcus Harris, Cameron Bancroft or Henry Hunt....

I am well on the record for saying the game has passed Warner by. So here is an opportunity to look at someone else and they don't take it.

So do we read into that the decision is already made on who goes on the Ashes Tour?

Harris and Bancroft are playing county cricket hence it was decided they did not need to be part of the A tour to NZ.
by RB
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial Games 2023

UK Fan wrote:Dogs 13.2(80)
Bays 14.4(88)

Final score

Grace kicked 5 Dudley 3
A combined 27.6 between them. Wow.

Almost a shame to waste such accuracy in a trial.
by RB
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Got to make the major political parties think about reducing the term for senators Absolutely, tie it all back to the general election term and this crap won't keep popping up . Otherwise we will keep ending up with a senate full of crazies.

Actually, the exact opposite would happen if terms were halved (assuming the same number of senators).

This is because the quota would also be halved so folks would end up getting in off about 3% of the vote. For example, at the 2016 double dissolution election (all senators up for re-election, therefore quota half as large as normal), Bob Day got in off less than 3% of the primary vote.

Staggered, long terms, with a higher quota, help prevent crazies from being elected. Very few silly candidates get elected in normal (i.e. half-) senate elections, and such of them as do get elected have enough electoral support that they would be resilient against various sorts of changes to how senators are elected and how long for.

I would suggest that Thorpe's election was a problem caused by the Green pre-selectors backing what was quite obviously the wrong horse, rather than anything else.
by RB
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

or going out and confirming you can't make runs against spinners?

I don't think it's that black and white.

I agree the chances of him batting exceedingly well are slim.

But I also think you're overestimating the chances of him having four dud tests.

I reckon, given his form, there's every chance he'd make a couple of 50s, and maybe a 40-odd, and average between 25-30, with only a couple of Australians behind him.

Given all that's been said about his ability to play spin, I reckon he'd take a fair bit of confidence out of that. Plus, he heads to England on the back of not being dropped. Again, better for his confidence that way.

12 & 43
9 & 49*
32 & 90

Average 47.

It's not rocket surgery. Pick your best batsmen.
by RB
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Opening Round - 2023

Never in the AFL era.

Last time in the VFL was 1980:
Carlton beat Collingwood at Vic Park
North beat Essendon at Windy Hill
Fitzroy beat Footscray at Western Oval
South beat Geelong at Kardinia
Richmond beat Hawthorn at Princes Park
Melbourne beat St. Kilda at Waverley

Oh for the days of more than 2 grounds in Melbourne.
by RB
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

stampy wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
locky801 wrote:Matt Short looking the goods for another ton for Victoria if he doesnt run out of partners, guys in some form

Redbacks should try and poach him you think?

why would he want to play for us?

Guaranteed to bat twice every game.
by RB
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

If they didn't sack Kenny after 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, or 2022, I can't see them sacking him mid-season.
by RB
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A rare instance of a team winning a match despite losing more than double the wickets lost by the other team.
by RB
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd have Bancroft slightly ahead of Harris but I see neither as test quality.

Ideally Renshaw would make loads of runs in tour matches and force his way in, but, well, there are no tour matches.
by RB
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Peas in tuna mornay deserves a death sentence.
by RB
Thu May 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Booney wrote:Have been involved in a History Project for the Alberton area, found the original title to my house from December 1893.

Can't think why but I was expecting you to say 1870.
by RB
Thu May 11, 2023 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 10

Surely Kenny's kontract extension gets announced next week...
by RB
Fri May 19, 2023 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 11

Jim05 wrote:Tiger Army get lost on the way to the MCG?
100k members and they can’t quarter fill the ground
Richmond fans don't like to travel. Should've played it at Punt Road.
by RB
Sun May 28, 2023 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

cracka wrote:Going to my 1st ever rugby league game last night.

EFA
by RB
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NRL

It simply isn't the same.

The NRL make no attempts to be the national game, the Storm are the only thing keeping it from being NSW/Qld exclusively.

The AFL SOO would only work if it was SA/Vic and the AFL will never take that path.

Forget it, it's dead in the water.
Oh I know its dead mate. And i understand that the storm is just keeping it a NSW/QLD game.

Well, the Storm and the Raiders, and the Warriors.
by RB
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope Warner makes plenty of runs as I like seeing Australia win test matches, particularly against England.
by RB
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree with the above. If there was an obvious replacement Warner would have already played his last test.
by RB
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Always strikes me as strange when an Australian cricket follower doesn't want the Australian team to win test matches, especially against England, but well it's a free country.
by RB
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wowee. Hopefully Moeen serves up some English pies for our batsmen.
by RB
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 ICC World Test Championship Final

Should be kicking himself there, Warner.

Has probably at least confirmed he plays in the First Ashes test.
by RB
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't think we're as bad as India. Lots of our pitches suit touring sides as much as us. But yeah we're definitely in no position to be calling the Indians cheats.
by RB
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So they went an extra half hour and still finished five overs short? That is piss poor. Three wickets fell and there were no other interruptions. Also potentially robs the batting side of runs if conditions tomorrow aren't as conducive. Start suspending captains and it won't be a problem.
by RB
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lyon should've come out instead of Cummins. Apart from the fact that Gaz is more likely to make runs, Cummins really doesn't need to be wasting energy out in the middle.
by RB
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That delivery will come in handy against any left handers playing for England.
by RB
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cricket times are so stupid, surely you start at least half hour early this morning and play an extra hour tonight, its light until 9.30pm over there atm!

Height of summer in Adelaide the sun sets about 20:45, sunset is scheduled for 21:45 in Birmingham tonight.

Being further North than we are South, they've always added to play after the schedule close over there.

Are you suggesting their change their geographic location for our benefit Dutchman?

They often have to go off for bad light in the evening up there. Surely it would make sense to start half an hour early when they've lost time.
by RB
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
DOC wrote:Morning session off. Lunch brought forward 45 minutes.

Did I just hear a 1.10 start local time?
Correct. Lunch to be taken at 12.30. Should be at 12.00 IMO.
by RB
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well that was good news to wake up to. Certainly didn't expect them to do it after Head got out. Those chases on Day 5 - in gloomy conditions - are hard to do. Hopefully the gentlemen in the Hollies stand enjoyed that one.
by RB
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's so overrated....

Fantales.
by RB
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No changes for Lord's given it's a week away. Consider rotating bowlers ahead of Leeds. Warner has done just enough but failing at Lord's would certainly justify looking at another opener.
by RB
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very happy with the first day's play. I went to bed at tea and was very pleased this morning to see we'd put so many runs on in the last session. Proves that you can start off fairly slowly - we must've been going at no more than two an over in the first hour of play - and still end up with a good run rate (approaching Bazball levels in fact).

It was wonderful to hear Nasser, Mike Atherton etc. so muted as Smith and Labuschagne piled them on.

Agree that we need 450 at an absolute minimum.
by RB
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He does alright over there if not him Worrall then.

Siddle
5 games 16 wickets @24.12

Worrall
7 games 31 wickets @23.64

I would change it up more than Hazlewood did, top of off all day so predictable

Siddle is almost 40. And is finished.

24 wickets in 8 Shield matches last season at 25.6; economy rate of 2.4 is hardly past it.

But yes we have better options for the test side e.g. Boland. FFS in dropping Boland, the selectors were guilty of doing what they did by dropping Head for India. Horses for courses is one thing, dropping blokes who are clearly in our best XI is another thing altogether.
by RB
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Correct, stumped rather than run out.
by RB
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mickey wrote:Pitch the ******* thing up

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Yep. The bouncer isn't as effective if you know it's coming.
by RB
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wowee the UK papers really have some serious sand in the vaginas this morning!

About the only English people in the Australian corner are former captains! Atherton spoke really well and had a decent crack at Bairstow In fairness Atherton didn't exactly uphold the highest moral standards in his playing days.

But it is instructive that blokes who actually played test cricket have essentially no problem with it, compared to the Fleet Street hacks and blotto MCC toffs.
by RB
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stick with Green. He'll come good with the bat.
Like people have said, his catching is outstanding and his height with the ball is important.
If he's injured then Marsh comes in. Yep. Back him in. Christ, we've carried blokes in the past in way worse form.

Also, Marsh is no Gary Sobers lol. Just pick your best players.
by RB
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Early signs have me scratching my head as to why Wood didn't play in the first two tests.
by RB
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:Stokes caught cheating on the boundary,

Edit. The third umpire a disgrace again. Joel Wilson is an utter incompetent.
Something something spirit of cricket
by RB
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Over rate in Test cricket

Australia have played 4 tests in England with a result being achieved in each game, so what's the issue if the over rate is slow. So long as we get a resullt, it's no big deal.

It's a very big deal to me, but then again I am a cricket supporter who enjoys watching test cricketers play test cricket matches - others may not share my enthusiasm.

If the authorities are going to issue partial refunds to paying spectators when they fall short, then arguably it at least wouldn't amount to daylight robbery, but even still I'm genuinely surprised that there are any cricket followers at all that are OK with the laws of cricket being contravened and ultimately less cricket being played.
by RB
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Season 2023

Cam McCarthy getting done for drink driving .414 :shock:

I'd be dead at that level
Sweet Geezus, isn't .3 clinically dead?
I know my old man blew .284 after 2 bottles of whiskey and beers! I love how whenever someone blows anywhere even close to .4 on those RBT shows, the coppers seem genuinely impressed.
by RB
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's settled then.

Swepson in for Warner, Neser in for Labuschagne.
by RB
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 18

This would be one hell of a choke from the Lions
by RB
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What The F***

Wedgie wrote:Victoria dumping the Commonwealth Games because of financial constraints. :shock:
Excellent. Hopefully they scrap the event full stop.
by RB
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |