Search found 793 matches

Return

Re: Three Sided Football

How would baseketball work, DW?

I think it would work something like this:

Shots made from different locations count as singles, doubles, triples, and home runs, and missed shots count as outs. Could all be played in the driveway of your home.

I envisage that it could easily translate from neighbourhood sport to a national stage.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Just reiterating the SANFL's place nowadays is the lead in ABC news bulletin report on the competition this morning:

"In the SANFL, Brad Crouch is unlikely to play again this season..."

I dunno, the near bottom Bays beating the reigning premiers and premiership fancy might have been a good lead.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - Port v Adelaide - Sunday 28 June @ Alberton

Gold. Now we're talking strip joints. Port Adelaide threads continue to take interesting turns.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

Time to come clean about my identity. I haves never played league footy. I just have seen McGregor in town a couple times and had a couple run ins with him. Thought I'd make myself sound like a former footballer so it made my opinions sound like they were coming from an expert . Just trolling the kid.

And yet, they didn't.

Enjoyable, nonetheless.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

Sorry, should I have said rubbish? ;)

Ramrod, I have no problems with my football ability.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12: Norwood v Centrals - Saturday @ Norwood

Ramrod wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Last year we won a few close ones at this time of the year, our run was too late though.
It has to happen now if we're to play majors again.

Norwood by plenty. Try to dress nicely centrals fans, No tank tops, No Ciggies in the top pocket please.

How's Macca going to get in? Or Lester Ross?
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

Underneath our tribal colours, we are all one - the football community. Condolences to all impacted by the tragic death of Phil Walsh.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

Zartan wrote: "I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done."

This is sitting very heavy with me.
My family has had this experience.
I'm reminded again that life is too short.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A tribute to the coach

A few posts in the Phil Walsh thread got me thinking about the coaches in my life.
I remember them all. Some I might not want to - one crushed my dreams - but they've all been part of my life.

So...

To my first coach, my father, we've had some rough times but thank you for instilling a love of the game and good sportmanship in me.
Tom Zorich, my under 13s CDFC coach for making me feel 10-feet tall at such a young age.
To Keith Porter, our under 14s premiership coach, a man who was a second, or only father, to so many of my team-mates and whose family became the family of all of us, thank you. I still have a bond with so many who played with you during that time.
Mark Seelander, thanks for refocusing my direction in life - you might not know it, but me being able to head into my profession was inspired by you.
Richard Bednall for allowing me the honour of being my school's first, First XVIII captain and giving me a chance to be a leader.
Rob Fraser, my first senior coach and a man I still love catching up with, thank you.
Steve Smith, a man now going through tough times, but who always had a smile and a laugh when he was our RFL 2000 B grade premiership coach.
Paul Mitchell for making footy fun again and for believing in me, on and off the footy field.
Travis Dubrich - just for being the big, funny bastard you are.
And, to my final coach, Steve Johnson - a club servant, who amazed me as he continued to pile up games well into his 40s and allowed me to do what I wanted up forward in my final year.

Over to you blokes.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Not the best result for Elizabeth on the weekend.
A strange game that started with the Eagles three goals up, only to be four down by half-time.
Elizabeth surged and hit the front late in the final quarter, only for Greenies to kick a winner over the head of their eccentric goal umpire with less than a minute left.

Full credit to Greenacres for taking part in our after-match past-players presentation. In both games, Greenies stayed on the oval with our players to watch the presentation of Past Players Day BOG medals to our players, thanks for that.
We announced a B grade medal this year, which was named in honour Kev, Col and Sam Harrison, who have played around 700 senior games for the club between them.

And...great to see Webby still running around for Greenies, as someone of a similar vintage, I'm slightly envious that he's still playing and doing it so well.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R12: West v Eagles - Saturday @ Richmond

I was just warming to him as well

I reckon Ramrod's like every bad boy that ever comes into a show like Home & Away.
They start of all fiery and hellbent on destroying reputations, like a panto villain, and then, ever so slowly, they mellow and eventually you'd never even know about their keyboard warrior past.
If Ramrod was a H&A character, he'd be Tug, I reckon.

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-29-at-19.04.21.png
by Dogwatcher
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

To be fair, you want White to get the ball.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

I've never been a fan of Haddin. For me, his dropped catch was costly, but that's not what I'm going to concentrate on.
I was concerned about our attack going in - a little bit inexperienced and with Johnno never having been a success in England - and wondered if we'd bowl tight enough to choke the Poms.
Sadly, we fed enough bad balls to them that the pressure, after that burst of three wickets, wasn't maintained. This is where we missed Ryno.
But...it takes us back to that catch, though, doesn't it? 4/44 and the pressure wasn't so much reliant on our bowling but England's mindset.
Root was beautiful to watch, with his agrarian waddle making him look unrushed. Ballance held an end up and did a job - he can be proud of that effort.
A little bit of a comeback late in the day for us but talk, this morning, that honours are even is a little bit too nice to us, for mine.
It's all England at the moment - they've already set us a good target and it's going to see how our bats react once we get in.
They've taken the notion of favouritism away from us and we know we're in for a fight.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: True or False

True. Taking my daughter to her first Collingwood game.

TNP is disappointed with the first day of the Test match.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Most Improved?

Coach Bombay wrote:Move stringer to forward pocket and slot bell into half forward.

That's one tough forward line.

"If the man comin', make ready for the man."
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

The cold snap is the perfect time to play at Mawsons, who have no electricity at the ground tomorrow, hence no hot showers..
Really?? Surely someone can organise a generator or something b
Nah f**k em :lol:

Sir Douglas approves:

http://uniken.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/styles/colorbox_slide/public/images/Mawson_portrait_web.jpg?slideshow=true&slideshowAuto=true&slideshowSpeed=4000&speed=350&transition=elastic
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: Centrals v Adelaide - Saturday 11 July @ Elizabeth

Booney wrote:Why not? At least you can keep an eye on it that way.

by Dogwatcher
Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: Norwood v Port - Saturday 11 July @ Norwood

Well...there it is, less abuse, more brollies needed at SANFL games.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood FC statement

just get your club runner to run with Warrior

I was out injured one day and took the runner's role and was asked to do exactly that.

On a scale of who cares it won't win or lose a team the game > the world is going to end in a fiery ball of molten larva produced by an asteroid blistering it's way through the atmosphere, what was the crowds reaction?

I guess it all depends on which club you support and who is committing the 'offence', doesn't it?
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood FC statement

Anyway, all this is beyond the point. It's disappointing to see that someone thought they could racially vilify someone. I would've hoped football supporters were better than that these days. The fact people still think it's appropriate to throw out racial slurs indicates the importance of continuing to educate people about racism and the need for people of high profile to continue taking a public stance against it.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

It does impact on his club. Clubs in lower grades lose players to other clubs willing to pay - above, equal and below them in the club hierachy.
In fact, part of the paying players problem is that clubs in low grades feel the need to pay players to keep up with the rest.
It is ridiculous that people are getting paid to play in Div 7.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yet, a year earlier, the BL&G was looking at a salary cap, Jim.

I'll try and post that article, you refer to ;)
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think Oysters' throwing some pie in the sky threats out there.
He's certainly overplaying the position of football leagues in this situation.
Again, from my understanding there was plenty of consultation prior to the announcement and only one league stood against it at the time - the BL&G.
For mine, most people agree there's an issue that needs to be sorted, it's just that the SACFL needs to tweak its proposal better.
Most of the anger is based on the low cap which they say, and I agree, is low and needs to be reinvestigated.
The system also needs to better accommodate those clubs that are in competitions further from the city.
The concept is good, but needs a little extra work.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's a walking wicket.
by Dogwatcher
Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fundraising for Thai orphanage

I'm fundraising for a Thai orphanage, which I'll be visiting later this year.
Basically, the orphanage is named after my grandfather and it's been a long-time ambition to visit there.
We are visiting but I didn't want to just be a tourist, so we're doing some fundraising to make a donation.
All funds donated will be going towards the kids and none will be funding our trip (that's all paid for).

This link shows the section of the orphanage named after my grandfather:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=904900322886583&id=121398781236745

Here's some more info about the organisation and what it does, Keven Ennis House is at Petchabun.
http://www.mercy-international.com/index.html

Any help with donations would be much appreciated:
http://www.gofundme.com/yumphs

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you, in advance, if you choose to donate.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

I reckon the sort of all-encompassing statement such as that from 360 is part of the problem with this debate.
Lots of people are making all-encompassing statements, such as:

* All the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* None of the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* We shouldn't be booing.
* People have always been booed.

None of them reflect the nuances that every action encompasses.

I concede that Goodes was occasionally booed prior to Gorillagate - as were others.
However, between Gorillagate and the first match where the Swans spoke out about it, that booing intensified (and to a continual level I've never heard before).
Why? I believe it was because he challenged white Australia. The booing started from some with racial intent and others followed, for their own reasons. He challenged Australians about using racial terms, even if many, many people didn't realise they were racial or offensive. He tried to educate us.
Since the controversy earlier this season when this debate started, I believe there is still racial intent behind some of the boos, but the rest of the folk generally don't know why they're booing. They're just doing it because it's a "thing". It's football's planking, a trend that will disappear.
Not all booing is bad. But...not all booing is as innocent as some would like to make it.
by Dogwatcher
Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think it's interesting that so many people say Goodes should get over it and yet those who boo Goodes clearly haven't gotten over it themselves. What 'it' is, I don't know and I'm not even sure the booers do either.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The run home

We'll win again, don't know how, don't know when, but I do know we'll win again some winter's day.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's theatre. This booing is not the same as theatre. Adam Goodes is not a former player of any other club.
All booing is not the same - there is a context to every boo.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Agree but I think people got upset that she has now been labelled a racist and put through hell when (potentially) her comments had zero racist motives.

Only she will ever know what her motives were. I wouldn't be surprised either way

I think there are plenty of worse remarks that could be made if she intended to be racist.

If it wasn't for the Andrew Symonds thing I wouldn't have known it was a racist remark.

At the time, she might not have understood it as racist, but everyone should now.
It's not hard to Google and find current and historical examples of big, black gorillas being used to portray the uncivilised brutes of African/Aboriginal tribes. It's out there.
And it's a common thread in early 20th century conceptualisation of both indigenous Australians and immigrating peoples - particularly Asians and subcontinental Asians (which is why I didn't buy Harbijhan Singh's claim it wasn't a racial-based term, as it was commonly used by westerners against Indians), who were regularly portrayed as 'monkeys'.
Favourite adventure books from my childhood portray non-white people as gorillas and monkeys - see Biggles and Tintin.
It's really not as far from the mainstream as people might think.
Even Eddie McGuire, thinking he'd hit on the PR scoop of the century in suggesting Goodes go and promote King Kong was pointing at a movie/theatre character that some think has a subplot of racial definition - the big gorilla, read black people, coming out of the jungle, read Africa, to steal 'our' women, read Ann Darrow (average, beautiful white woman), while trying to climb to the top of society (read 1930s architectural icon the Empire State Building in the capital of capitalism and aspiration). What happens to Kong? He gets shot down by white man.
The sad thing is, now it has been brought to light as inherently racist, people continue to say "but he does look like an ape" or, as happened on the weekend, "get back to the zoo".
People might not believe it is racist, but history tells us that it is.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Batman is pretty spot on.

I kind of wish Pup had had the courage to say, "you know what Cookie, you can bat, man".
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Probably time to give it a spell and concentrate back on football. I think the media needs to step back a bit. Really without them pushing it so hard and demanding it be about race it probably would ha e died out a bit . I mean going and getting opinions from Wilson, Akermanis and Jones. Seriously it would only fuel it further. In the end we have heard opinions from every man and his dog but not Goodes. Just seems like something else the media wish to fuel.

I also think goodes should have plaued this week. Crows fans would most likely be well behaved.

Errr...social media?

Both social and mainstream

I understand your position but main stream media deliberately going out of their way to do interview with the 13 year olds mum, interviews with well know controversial people like Akermanis as well as the hundreds of radio hosts, editorial writers using this to make a name are adding a lot of fuel to the fire, and in most cases there deliberately pin pointing the people they know they will get the big headlines from.

Obviously media is a business but there is no way they don't play a part in this continuing on

Clearly the media has a role to play, but some of us need to look at ourselves. If we don't believe it's a big issue, why are we sharing memes, commenting on posts and threads about the issue? In the old days, the media used to push agendas, now it is us.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dale Steyn 400 wickets

I have a lot of love for Dale Steyn. Great, great bowler.

I also laugh at lot at Dale Steyn - sometimes his stares (from my distance) make me giggle.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CENTURION wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Smoking jazz cigarettes and reading jazz mags.

do you get your i's and a's mixed up? :D

No, no, not at all.

I'd be concerned if you were smoking jizz cigarettes, anyway.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

he wasn't born over a hundred years ago.

I suppose your from Elizabeth so I'll let your dumb comment slide. Clearly I was talking AFL. Dog watcher, I'm very fortunate to know so people who actually have done something in there career and are still heavily involved in the SANFL. It's going to be like this for a while, so either get over it, or ship off. I know which one you should do!

English please, brus.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Leave him be. He's a knob and proud of it.
Ignore him, or laugh at him.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

he wasn't born over a hundred years ago.

I suppose your from Elizabeth so I'll let your dumb comment slide. Clearly I was talking AFL. Dog watcher, I'm very fortunate to know so people who actually have done something in there career and are still heavily involved in the SANFL. It's going to be like this for a while, so either get over it, or ship off. I know which one you should do!

English please, brus.

Sorry reading your spelling has made me dumber. I suppose being from Elizabeth I can forgive you for that.

Made you dumber? And you're coming from such a sound base too.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ramrod wrote:My sporting ability has always made up for my poor spelling.

Yet to be proven. All you've done is mouth off.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mr September

Brad Ottens?
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mr September

Your selfie stick...it's usually in your hand.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BL&G Football League

In the past few years, there's been a change in regards to how players view the prestige of playing in the SANFL.
In the past there were the obvious reasons to play SANFL, now I feel that the value in the prestige is that a player can say he's played league footy, which increases his value at community football level.
Obviously I can't quantify that, it's just a feeling I've developed by watching decent players leave SANFL level at a more rapid rate than in the past.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nick Murphy sacked

Nothing like a sensationalist post though ;)
by Dogwatcher
Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ebert statue

Russell Ebert sculpture to be unveiled at Adelaide Oval

He won four Magarey Medals, three premierships and played almost 400 games for his beloved Port Adelaide – and now Russell Ebert is about to take permanent pride of place at Adelaide Oval.
A sculpture of Ebert will be unveiled outside the East Gate tomorrow, Saturday 15th August just before the Power take on Greater Western Sydney in their AFL clash.
“I am very honoured and humbled, and would like to credit the support of my family, the SA football fraternity and, in particular, the Port Adelaide Football Club where I have spent most of my adult life,” Russell said.
“It’s because of family and club that this honour has been bestowed.
“It’s also important to me that we recognise this sculpture stands on the traditional lands of the Kaurna people. That’s also a privilege and very significant from a personal perspective.”
Ebert joins Barrie Robran in being immortalised in bronze, with the 4-metre likeness of Robran already a feature on Telstra Plaza.
A total of four footballers will be honoured in this way through the generosity of businessman and philanthropist Basil Sellers, with Ken Farmer and Malcolm Blight also to be recognised along with four cricket greats.
“We are very fortunate to be able to recognise the greats of our game in this way and perpetuate their achievements for future generations of football fans,” said John Olsen, Chairman of the SA Football Commission.
"Russell Ebert is a true champion of South Australian football, and it’s fantastic that – thanks to the generosity of Basil Sellers – the tens of thousands who come to Adelaide Oval every weekend will be able to admire and appreciate his greatness.”
Ebert and Blight will appear together at the SANFL Chairman’s Lunch on Friday August 21st, offering fans a one-off opportunity to hear from these two greats about their memories and their views of the game today.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

I thought it was just clubs from the north who provided those sort of issues, Roo...
by Dogwatcher
Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

#zartanisgood

#zartanisgreat

#zaratanruledreadnoks
by Dogwatcher
Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

#youfeelitwithyourfingers
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Zartan wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Image

This literally made me laugh out loud haha!! Made my spill my coffee :lol:

#Ialsolaughedoutloud

#Imightstopnow
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Warner, who was obviously schooled in the Shane Warne University of Comedy and Self Awareness, said in his presser following his appointment as VC that every team has a funny guy and he might have to moderate that a bit.
I giggled when I heard him say it. Seems Rogers did too.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think it's time to stop with the #
People are going over the top with them.
There's no f###k##g place in SAFooty for #
by Dogwatcher
Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: is your club losing revenue

That would've been horrible. It was horrible enough getting off at Tamblin at 8 in the morning going to school, let alone on a Sunday morning.

Sometimes we'd catch the first bus - the 228, that came earlier than the train back then.
That bus was absolute torture.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |