Search found 786 matches

Return

Re: Jason Gillespie considering SA coaching job

woodublieve12 wrote:to be honest i reckon i'd rather be unemployed than coach the redbacks

And coaching the ECB is any better?

Yorkshire thanks!
by valleys07
Wed May 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Round 7 Review vs. Brisbane- Humiliated. Shamed. Debacle. Choose your own headline.

PAFC 8.17.65
BLFC 15.12.102

Goals:
Port Adelaide- Monfries 3, Gray, Cornes, Schulz, Wingard, Amon 1.

The above headline was given to us by The Advertiser on the 30th September 2007. There have been many dark days since then and today is certainly no exception, but I fail to describe our performance today in any other fashion. There is a foul smell coming from Brisbane at present, it’s Port Adelaide.

I can sit here and list hundreds of things that went wrong today, it’s bloody obvious I would have thought, however 3 things have stood out for me all season;
1) Tackling. Particularly tonight, however we have been insipid in this area for most of the season. Teams are getting a hold of us on the outside and forcing the footy forward with ease due to our complete and utter inability to lay a decent tackle that either forces another stoppage, or creates a turnover. We laid 88 tackles tonight, I challenge anyone who watched the game this evening to name 10 tackles that benefited us. I can only think of Gray in the centre where it resulted in a turnover. I can think of at least 15 Brisbane tackles where either the football was dispossessed, or it forced a turnover. Ollie Wines will be massive around the stoppages in this area, but we are not laying any quality tackles in our forward 50 to trap the footy (how many times did Brisbane just waltz the footy out of their defensive 50 tonight, without a Port player even looking like laying a tackle!?!!), or laying any in our defensive 50 to quell the influence of small forwards able to release the footy, or kick goals themselves.

2) Workrate. It is now safe to conclude that Port Adelaide’s perceived fitness edge was a myth. Not only have we been comprehensively outscored in 2nd halves, we are reactive at stoppages, we are slow on the spread when we do have the footy, and our defensive pressure is non-existent (particularly when we turn the footy over). The offensive spread was there in patches tonight, but opposition teams have completely blanketed us of access of the corridor (we have lost our dare to move the footy through there), but our workrate back to assist our defence is horrid to watch. I’d hate to be a Homsbch or a Trengove tonight- if their opponents brought the ball forward, Josh Green and Mitch Robinson (**** me!!), along with Beams, Redden, Taylor, Rich were there to mop the crumbs without a Port Adelaide opponent there to effectively apply pressure. This is the single biggest reason as to how opposition teams get numbers back to block our space forward, yet we get opened up over the back. Travis Boak, Brad Ebert, Matt White, Ollie Wines and Kane Cornes’ play on rates exceeded 44% last season, ranking them in the top 53 players in this category across the competition. Wonder what that stat is this year….Burgess has mentioned something about increasing our workloads by as much as 15% from 2013-14. We look like we are wearing lead boots at present- and for **** sake, don’t worry about us reaching optimum levels of freshness by round 18 in preparation for September, it will do us no good when we are 5-12.

3) Contested Possession and ability to hold position at stoppages. This was mostly prevalent tonight- we are winning our fair share of the footy around the stoppage, but therein lies the issue. Boak, Gray, Ebert are able to win the footy, but often are immediately set upon by opposition midfielders and are forced into kicks or handballs under pressure. From there we are hurt on the turnover, and our workrate issue results in scores from turnovers and scores from stoppages. We conceded 3 goals from turnovers tonight, and a massive 10.6 from stoppages. Absolutely and utterly unacceptable from a side that supposedly prides itself on 2 way gut runs, and winning the footy. We rank a disappointing 10th in contested possession this season- not to dissimilar to last year (7th on average), but I would love to know the stat for scores for and against from turnovers and from stoppages compared to this time last year…Perhaps Walsh was more important than we realised??

After listening to Ken’s presser, it is the first time I can legitimately say I’ve seen him furious at this performance. One can only hope as a Power fan, that this is the line in the sand kind of moment. The Brisbane loss to Carlton before winning 16 straight in 2001, the Geelong loss to North at Skilled Stadium in 2007. Time to extract the digit, Port Adelaide.

Nothing went right for us tonight, everything went wrong- so onto player reviews.

Top 5:
Robbie Gray- Lead almost every statistical category tonight, in a clear best afield performance (for Port). My only criticism of Gray is that there is not 2 of him- one to park up forward as well as one to have in the midfield. 25 touches (17 contested), 11 clearances, 10 tackles, 4 I50’s and a goal were his numbers tonight. Unfortunately he just doesn’t get enough protection at around the ground stoppages, as I’m sure our offensive transition would be infinitely better if he had the space that he seems to find at centre bounces.

Jack Hombsch- A terrific performance tonight, from Jack- seems to be growing in stature by the week. Doesn’t get the accolades externally that I believe he deserves. 13 touches, 7 marks, 13 1% acts and 3 tackles. In a defence that was missing Carlisle, and with Trengove looking out of sorts, I think Jack can hold his head high tonight. Destroyed McStay tonight.

Angus Monfries- Worked extremely hard tonight, both up the ground to present as a target, and around the contest to generate chances and lock the ball inside our 50. Finished with 17 touches, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 4 I50’s and 3 goals. My one criticism of him was his positioning when the footy was coming in long. Too often we found ourselves going 2 or 3 up in a contest, and Monfries was missing on a few occasions where we were crying out for a crumber, particularly in that 3rd quarter when the game was still in the balance.

Chad Wingard- Was probably our best outside mid tonight, and was our only small forward smart enough to stay on deck as the crumber, as we found ourselves competing against each other time and time again for contested marks inside 50. Finished with 25 touches, 4 tackles, 3 I50’s and a goal. His only deficiency tonight was his disposal efficiency- running at a paltry 56%, which is probably a reflection of the pressure applied by Brisbane, particulary around the stoppage.

Nathan Krakouer- Very clean out of the back 50 tonight and was able to take multiple intercept marks as well as be one of the few players able to find himself on the end of a few attacking drives and deliver inside 50. 17 touches, 6 marks, 4 I50s and 2 tackles- another impressive display after he was clearly Port’s best against West Coast.

The Rest:
Travis Boak- Allowed absolutely no space at stoppages tonight, rendering his possessions ineffective, operating at 48%. 27 touches (10 clangers), 5 clearances, 8 tackles and 4 I50’s- one who is going to benefit from Wines’ inclusion back into the side as a bullocking midfielder able to open up space for Boak to use the footy. Will never question his workrate, but tonight wasn’t our skippers finest hour.

Hamish Hartlett- I’m longing for Hammer to unleash a couple of bombs from outside 50- but something is off with him at present. Whether he has been rushed back early and is still experiencing niggles, whether its confidence in the hamstring, I’m not sure? 22 touches, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 5 I50’s- there is no issue finding the footy, but one cannot deny that we are not seeing the Hartlett we have become accustomed to.

Matthew Lobbe- Right, I’m going to be pretty harsh here. Lobbe is offering us less than nothing at present. I love his endeavour, but for **** sakes- GET INVOLVED AROUND THE GROUND!!! Lobbe isn’t renowned for marks around the ground, which is an area I really need to see him improve. Won his fair share of hitouts (31) along with 14 touches, 6 tackles and 7 1% acts- his ability to find Gray repeatedly at centre bounces was great to watch.

Matthew Broadbent- Like Hartlett, just not having the impact we are accustomed to. 22 touches, 5 clearances, 6 tackles, but little influence on the contest. 1 I50 is the underlying stat- playing through the midfield, a player of his calibre should be delivering the footy inside 50 and hitting targets, ala. North Melbourne. Down on his 2014 and by Christ do we need a lift from him.

Paddy Ryder- Could have really made an impact on the contest tonight, but didn’t take his chances. 3 marks I50 for 0.3, deary me. Won his fair share of hitouts (21) along with 12 touches and 3 tackles. Battled hard but needs to make the most of his opportunities.

Justin Westhoff- Had 4 marks early in the 2nd quarter and I thought he was set for a return to form, then it all just disappeared. 16 touches, 6 marks, 6 I50’s reads ok, but just isn’t getting himself in dangerous spots up forward, not to mention he is completely at sea down back. Some other forums are calling for a spell back in the 2’s….not sure we can afford to do it, but the argument has merit.

Jay Schulz- Competing against 3 defenders for most of the day, simply no chance. Had to take his chances when they presented, but in fairness to him our delivery inside 50 was less than mediocre. 13 touches, 7 marks and 1.2 were the numbers.

Brad Ebert- Well down on his output so far this season, and couldn’t have happened on a worse day, where we were crying out for some outside run. 16 touches, 4 clearances and 7 I50’s- just nowhere near it all day.

Kane Mitchell- The less said about his game, the better. His decision making was just that 2 to 3 second too slow, and was less than impressive around the stoppage, offering us no spread offensively, and no hard running defensively. 14 touches and 6 tackles.

Jasper Pittard- Probably the one player that has the embarrassing “accolade” of being towelled up by Mitch Robinson (****me). More turnovers, and Robinson curbed his influence on the rebound. 16 touches and 3 R50’s. Not one I50, when he and Broadbent are combining for 1 I50 per game, Port are in strife.

Jarman Impey- Green got a hold of him on the way to 3 goals, some poor positioning really costing him. On other occasions he was able to defend really well, working well around defensive stoppages on his way to 8 tackles. A lot to like, just needs to tidy up small parts of his game.

Kane Cornes- Defensively was very good on Rockliff, but should have been switched to Beams in that 3rd quarter where Beams went beserk and really hurt us. 13 touches and a goal. Heart just isn’t there anymore.

Tom Jonas- A mere shadow of what I have known and come to love about Tommy. Zorko gave him the run around, and his stats probably exceed what I noticed of him. 11 touches, 5 R50’s, 5 tackles and 6 1% acts. Another who is under pressure to remain in the side.

Cameron O’Shea- 7 touches and 3 I50’s. That’s all I have to say about that.

Matt White- 7 touches and 2 tackles- Again, that’s all I have to say about that.

Jackson Trengove- Leuenberger out bodying Trengove in the 2nd quarter (?) probably summed his evening. Another who might be suffering through a lack of pre-season. 9 touches and 5 1% acts..need much more from such an important part of our side.

Karl Amon- Came on as the sub and really liked what I saw. Offered us outside run and zip around the contest. 9 touches and a nice goal. Plenty to work with there.

As I said in my round 5 review- we must be 9-3 at the break to be considered a contender. Well at 3-4 that is already gone. Now it’s a matter of drawing the line in the sand and returning to something resembling the Port Adelaide of 2013-14, in an effort to stop our season from spiralling out of control. I still have nightmares about our 48 point drubbing at the hands of the Tigers in our 140th anniversary match in 2010. They have just come off of a stirring win against the Pies, and will be breathing fire to salvage something from our last meeting.

Seriously worried about where our season looks to be headed. Premiership contenders? Pfft….at present we look to be joining the suns as the season’s biggest disappointment, and far out that is tough to be writing after round 7. The time is now, Port Adelaide. Are you ready to piss away the season, or will you be like Brisbane or a Geelong, and make a stand?

See you at the footy.

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Any excuse will do

:lol:

An interesting stat- we have been outscored 34 goals to 58 in 2nd halves so far this season.

This isn't an excuse, its fact. Have we tempted fate with playing underdone players, which has backfired massively? or is this fitness myth complete bollocks, as we are not working anywhere near hard enough, which brings me to my next point:

Anyone else believe that the inclusion of an extra tall in Ryder, rather than being the missing link, is a massive hindrance?

We are obviously short a midfield rotation as a result (which would explain the lack in workrate from our midfield), not to mention Westhoff, who has gone from the best swingman in the comp, to looking completely at sea.
by valleys07
Mon May 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Playing my 150th senior football game tomorrow. Halfway there.

I share the same milestone with a bloke who I've played alot of footy with aswell, making it more special.

Congratulations mate!

Club loyalty is beginning to become a rarity- so I do enjoy reading players proud to have accomplished special milestones such as these.

Having played against you over the years, you have always carried yourself well on field, and your passion and dedication to the NHFC is evident.

Best of luck tomorrow!
by valleys07
Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

marbles wrote:port drafted a full forward called Dougal Howard. Anyone know why he hasnt played an SANFL game yet?

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/football/players-and-coaches/sanfl-players

On the injury list, Marbles. Lower leg and is still out for another 2-3.

Shin Splints, IIRC.
by valleys07
Sun May 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Love how port supporters talk about their "champion of the game" retiring, but half of them still leave before full time rather than seeing him off . Class act

*obviously not directed at all supporters
Sydney win so you're up and about hey?

I think you're talking a bit of poo, I've hardly heard the "champion of the game" thing but hey, if you wanna run with it for trolling purposes, you go girl.

As for people leaving before full time, it's been going on since cocky was an egg and will continue to for a long time, if it means an hour difference getting home by leaving 5 minutes earlier, why not, I do it at the footy or the cricket and it's not governed by who's in front, only if the result is already determined.
I guess the attendance didn't warrant "#bringbackthetarps" so another avenue was sought.

No disrespect LM, but I cannot stand this argument.

Nobody gives a shit about traffic when their team is winning. Regardless of whether you live in Kent Town, or bloody Murray Bridge- Kane deserved better than for 15,000 fans to sprawl out of the stadium 15 minutes early. Those same fans would have been potting Crows fans last year when we were kicking back, feet up in the comfort of the Top 4.

Pathetic.
by valleys07
Mon May 25, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No disrespect LM, but I cannot stand this argument.

Nobody gives a shit about traffic when their team is winning. Regardless of whether you live in Kent Town, or bloody Murray Bridge- Kane deserved better than for 15,000 fans to sprawl out of the stadium 15 minutes early. Those same fans would have been potting Crows fans last year when we were kicking back, feet up in the comfort of the Top 4.

Pathetic.

How is disrespectful to Kane? He's done the same thing to his fans to some degree, the game is bigger than the individual.

I've never been a fan of the old "it's my last game in 3 weeks" thing, I have more respect for those who walk off the field on a random night and say "Thanks guys, that's it for me".

I agree with you in the respect that Kane and the club didn't handle his retirement with the best interest of the club at heart. However- I can understand why he made the decision. I can appreciate that, whilst handsomely remunerated in his current occupation, it wouldn't have been the right move to retire at the end of last year in the hope of being accepted into the MFS 7-8 months down the track. The decision to retire once accepted is probably the only realistic way to do it. Its a catch 22 scenario whichever way you look at it.

I will stand by my call of disrespect, however. As I said- 45k would have hung around to see him off had we won the match, so why should the result intervene with that? It was a chance to say thank you for 15 years worth of service that he has given to our football club.

I will also add that I don't believe that securing employment post football vs. waiting in traffic for an extra half an hour after a game are in any way comparable- but you are entitle to your opinion, and I respect that. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
by valleys07
Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 8 Review vs. Richmond- Farewell, Champion.

PAFC 5.13.43
RFC 11.10.76

Goals: Monfries, Wingard 2, Gray 1

Cornes. A name that for many years was tortured by the very presence of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Last night it became a hall mark of the clubs very history, and the competition to which it is a part of. Our first 300 game player, and the 69th in VFL/AFL history- Kudos, Kane- what an absolute champion of the Port Adelaide Football Club, you have been.

It has been a long, illustrious, sometimes calamitous journey that has been filled with the games highest of highs, and lowest of lows. My first impressions of a fresh faced blonde Sacred Heart boy from Anti-Port Adelaide heartland on Brighton Rd couldn’t have been anything else other than unconvincing. Drafted with pick 20 in the 2000 National Draft- he had managed a spot in our 2001 Ansett Cup winning side, but couldn’t crack a spot in a side that was 7-2, before Mark Williams decided to bring him into the side for our Round 10 clash against the Hawks. Kane managed 9 touches in a 43 point victory at the MCG that day, on his way to 7 games for the season- hardly anything to write home about, is it? What I, and most Port fans at the time didn’t know, was Kane’s relentless desire to squeeze absolutely everything out of himself in fulfilling his childhood dream. The fans didn’t see the growing of Kane and Chad- pestering anybody within earshot at Glenelg Oval for a kick of the footy. The fans didn’t know of Kane in his early years, inside of Chocco’s office demanding why he wasn’t being picked. The fans didn’t know of Kane’s personal suffering, as a result of the unreasonable expectations he placed upon himself. The fans don’t know of Kane the leader, the practical joker, the obsessive competitor who would pound the pavement well into his off season break-determined to maintain his stranglehold on the teams opening 3km time trial, all with this endless pursuit for perfection at the forefront.

What transpired was 15 seasons, 4 John Cahill Medals, 2 x All Australians, the 2004 Premiership, and 300 wonderful AFL games for his beloved, and our beloved, Port Adelaide Football Club. Kane joins Russell Ebert, Greg Phillips, Darren Smith and Tim Ginever as one of 5 players to have played 300 games across Port Adelaide’s long and distinguished history- a truly magnificent achievement. Throughout the journey, he has taken on and beaten some of the competitions biggest names, additions to an already mighty resume. Robert Harvey, Simon Black, Andrew McLeod, Sam Mitchell, Brent Harvey, Chris Judd, Joel Selwood are just a few names that Kane has been assigned, and beaten, over the years. He was the inspiration through the early 2000’s, a young man among a team of men rising to be one of Port Adelaide’s best in a budding champion team, desperate to create history on the national stage.

I’ll miss you, Kane. The Port Adelaide family has said farewell to one of it’s finest last night- sadly in the worst possible fashion.

Onto yesterday’s game. Stats concerning any game involving Port Adelaide are now meaningless. There are hitouts and there are hitouts, there are clearances and there are clearances, there are inside 50’s and there are inside 50’s. Now here are yesterday’s numbers:

Hitouts: 61-31 in favour of Port Adelaide.
Clearances: 49-44 in favour of Port Adelaide (centre clearances 13-6).
Inside 50’s: 53-43 in favour of Port Adelaide.

Let’s start with clearances. Over the past 3 weeks we have won centre clearances 33-28. This shows that when we are opposed to our opposition 4 on 4, we are a very capable midfield outfit. Turning the attention to stoppages, where the past 3 weeks have seen us return 102-100, again fairly even, right? Heck no. Here is the tactical advantage that Paul Roos identified last year, and that opposition coaches have pounced upon this season, ultimately destroying our quality of clearance and our inside 50 movement- all of West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond appear to shift +2 to stoppages around the ground, forcing us into forced clearances. Opposition teams have worked out that clearances where a Robbie Gray, a Jared Polec (when playing), or a Travis Boak can waltz clear unpressured spells all kinds of danger. The tactical move to force our midfielders into rushed possession will at worst force another stoppage, if not, force a turnover with extra numbers floating from the contest. Don’t ask me for a fix, but it’s a glaring issue.

Inside 50’s. Dear oh dear. Yesterday we won this stat, 53-43- however; lets delve deeper into the quality of inside 50’s, marks inside 50. We were beaten 6-14. That works out to a paltry 11% of our entries for the day resulting in marks and, hopefully a shot on goal. In fairness to Richmond, 5 of their 14 I50 marks went to Riewoldt- a shocking match-up from a PA perspective (more on that later), but 11%, you have to be kidding me. Against Brisbane we went at 26%, and West Coast 24%, compared to North Melbourne (23%), Hawthorn (23%) and Adelaide (28%) and there was a noticeable difference yesterday, and over the past 3 weeks. Unlike our 3 wins where our opposition were either playing to beat us in a shootout or were simply poor in defensive structure, West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond have all committed to +1 or +2 in defence. How is this so? Workrate. Unlike traditional zone set ups across the 50m arc, Port are traditionally dangerous with the slingshot release so opposition teams set up their zone 20m back so they can beat us back into forward 50 and clog space.

Now here is the bug bear: With the extra numbers around stoppages, and better executed defensive zones- our forward 50 entries have become 2 things; hacked kicks forward leaving us no hope to out mark 2, sometimes 3 opponents, or if we do happen to get clean entry into the forward line- we are still stuck in 2014 where we have outworked our opponents and bomb it in expecting numbers everywhere. We simply CANNOT do this anymore!! There were 2 clear examples yesterday where we had clean clearance (Ollie in the 3rd was one, but I can’t think of the other one), and rather than carry the footy and spot up a leading target, we chose to bomb it in long to 2-3 man contests!!! I mean seriously- midfielders, lower your ****ing eyes and hit a target and forwards, ****ing LEAD!! Can you imagine a Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Jack, Hannebery, McVeigh or Mitchell streaming forward without pressure, and just popping it on Pavlich or Tippett’s head? Not a chance in hell. Walters, Ballantyne, Mayne, Franklin, McGlynn would all be spreading far and wide, ensuring at they worked together to exploit the mistake of 1 defender, opening up an avenue to goal. Why we cannot do this with Wingard, Monfries, Ryder and Schulz leaves me scratching my head for answers.

Anyway, onto player reviews:

TOP 5:

Jack Hombsch- Best on for Port Adelaide in every sense of the word. Possessions (22), rebound 50’s (6), marks (12), 1% acts (12), inside 50’s (4), tackles (4)- there was nothing that this bloke didn’t do yesterday. By far his best game of the year, and would go extremely close to his best game for the Port Adelaide Football Club. Sensational.

Robbie Gray- Gave it everything yesterday, but is getting absolutely no protection inside to cause optimum damage. 28 touches, 12 clearances, 8 tackles, 3 I50s and 1 goal. Just so elusive around the stoppage, his hard work just doesn’t get finished off by his team mates.

Kane Cornes- Did a magnificent job on Cotchin to round out a magnificent career. Collected 28 touches whilst keeping Cotchin to 17 (6 at half time). What a void to fill. Thanks for the memories, Kane.

Angus Monfries- Another solid performance from Gus last night, kicking 2 crucial goals in the 2nd and 3rd to give us a bit of spark, but the team just couldn’t follow on from that momentum. 16 touches, 3 tackles and 2 goals- has arguably been our most consistent over the past 3 weeks.

Chad Wingard- Relishing more midfield time this season, and is ever dangerous when up forward. Missed that sitter in the 3rd term but still finished with 20 touches, 5 clearances and 2 goals. My only criticism of him, along with every small last night, was once again the lack of presence once the ball hit the deck.

The Rest:

Travis Boak- Worked his backside off all night, finishing with 32 touches, 4 clearances and 7 I50’s. Just cannot find space out of a stoppage to be super damaging with the footy.

Brad Ebert- Has gone missing I feel since Polec has been out of that side, especially on the outside. Whilst his numbers are looking solid, he is short on what we saw of him over the first 6 rounds. Finished with 25 touches, 5 clearances, 5 tackles and 4 I50’s.

Ollie Wines- Great return from the raging bull, and room for improvement on last nights performance. 24 touches, 3 clearances, 6 tackles and 3 I50’s. Glad to see him get through a full game, his wrist appearing to give him no trouble at all.

Hamish Hartlett- Watching his game in comparison to Dustin Martin’s last night, I shook my head. Here is our enforcer, our silky smooth, tough inside midfielder a shadow of who he can be, up against a similar player handing out don’t argues like $1 bills at a vegas strip club, getting the footy and using his skills as an offensive weapon to see Riewoldt 1 on 1. 21 touches from Hamish (at 61% DE), 5 clearances and 5 tackles- looks solid on paper but turnovers, and the lack of physical enforcement leave me at the cross roads with Hartlett. Does he deserve to be dropped? Yes. Will Ken pull the trigger? Unlikely.

Justin Westhoff- His 1st quarter and a half was back to the Westhoff of old, with some great marks dropping back into defence. Then 29:30 in the 2nd quarter happened- one of the great saving marks, followed up with arguably the worst turnover of the season- sums up his year perfectly. 20 touches and 8 marks.

Jasper Pittard- 16 touches and 5 I50’s, at stages seemed the only player willing to take the contest on in an effort to find a one on one in our forward line. Without Pittard and Broadbent both firing simultaneously- we look a very average outfit.

Jay Schulz- The bloke had kicked 14.1 in our 3 wins and I thought ”Right, here is our 3 pronged forward line in sync and firing”. 3 weeks later and he has kicked 2 goals, some very un-Schulz like misses, some supposed contract disputes and our forward line in complete and utter disarray. 13 touches and 6 tackles were his numbers, but seemed to spend too much time trying to enter into grappling contests with Grimes and Batchelor, instead of applying superior workrate to find space and beat opponents on the lead. Our delivery certainly didn’t help this.

Tom Jonas- 13 touches and 4 R50’s, but is simply having no influence on the contest at present. Isn’t able to keep up with his opponent, is being out bodied with ease. Another who deserves a spell in the SANFL.

Matt White- Works hard to create space and overlap run, but it simply isn’t working at this point. Has hardly fired a shot offensively since Round 3, and needs a spell in the 2’s, finishing with 12 disposals.

Alipate Carlisle- THUD! Hear that sound? It’s the sound of Bobby come crashing back from his potential AA heights. Riewoldt gave him an absolute bath- forget the stats, there is nothing worth mentioning.

Sam Gray- Brought into the side to offer us forward spark and apply pressure. LOL. 12 touches, 2 tackles and bugger all score involvement. Sadly- I don’t think he will amount to anything other than a solid SANFL player.

Patrick Ryder- 11 touches and 20 hitouts. Was ok in the ruck but offered us nothing around the ground. 1 mark and shot at goal is simply nowhere near where we need him to be.

Nathan Krakouer- Up until he was subbed, I thought he offered us a little bit offensively, and defended well. 10 touches, but was hampered by what appears to be a foot injury.

Jarman Impey- 9 touches, 5 marks, 2 tackles and 2 I50’s. A very modest evening. Matched up on Deledio when he was resting forward, and gave him far too much space.

Matthew Lobbe- Given an almighty thumping by Maric. Won his fair share of hit-outs, but as I mentioned last week, offers us absolutely stuff all around the ground. 9 touches, 10 tackles and 2 marks.

Jackson Trengove- 7 touches, 4 marks and 6 1% acts before going off injured. Will be a huge loss, despite being a shadow of the player he has been for the past 2 seasons.

Karl Amon- 6 touches as the sub, needs a full game to show us what he has got.

Well, the premiership is gone, top 4 is gone, and I suspect top 8 will be gone in around about a months time. Over trained? Mentally weak? Game plan figured out? Whatever it is- it’s a real shame, as we should be at the other end of the ledger. This isn’t what I had in mind for this season, that’s for sure.

See you at the footy.

Valleys.
by valleys07
Tue May 26, 2015 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by valleys07
Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

^^^^

I'm more in a 0-22 thought space :D
by valleys07
Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My lad has just begun walking.

My wife sent me a clip on FB this morning of him walking, before turning around with the world's biggest grin of achievement, before letting out a victory "aargh" and continuing on his way.

So cute, but I can't stop watching the clip for the "aargh", classic!
by valleys07
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What's your "Team of More than a Century"??

Following on from the discussion in the underrated players thread, here is one for the stats men, as well as the football purists. Who makes your "Team of More than a Century"?

Here is mine. I will add detailed analysis of why I selected my team later.

Valleys’ Team of More than a Century

B: Gavin Wanganeen (Essendon/Port Adelaide/Port Adelaide (SANFL) Matthew Scarlett (Geelong/Geelong Falcons) Kevin Murray (Fitzroy/East Perth)
HB: Bruce Doull (Carlton/Jacana) Edward “Teddy” Whitten (Footscray) Andrew McLeod (Adelaide/Port Adelaide (SANFL)
C: Keith Greig (North Melbourne/Brunswick) Greg Williams (Geelong/Sydney/Carlton/Golden Square) Nathan Buckley (Brisbane/Collingwood/Port Adelaide (SANFL)
HF: Jason Dunstall (Hawthorn/Coorparoo) Wayne Carey (North Melbourne/Adelaide/North Adelaide) Gary Ablett Snr (Hawthorn/Geelong/Drouin)
F: Leigh Matthews (Hawthorn/Chelsea) Tony Lockett (St. Kilda/Sydney/North Ballarat) John Coleman (Essendon/Hastings)
R: Graham “Polly” Farmer (Geelong/East Perth), Ron Barassi (Melbourne/Carlton/Preston), Bob Skilton (South Melbourne)
I/C: Ian Stewart (St.Kilda/Richmond/Hobart), Richard “Dick” Reynolds (Essendon/Woodlands), Mark Riccuito (Adelaide/West Adelaide), Gary Ablett Jr (Geelong/Gold Coast/Geelong Falcons)

Hopefully we get some diverse selections and some good debate. Please try and refrain from turning this into a sh*tcanning thread :D
by valleys07
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 10 Review vs. Western Bulldogs- Have we found our spark?

PAFC 16.4.100
FFC 9.8.62

Goals: Wingard 3, White, Schulz 2, Hartlett, Westhoff, S. Gray, R. Gray, Wines, Stewart, Monfries, Ebert, Boak 1.

Just reading through my review from Round 8, and it’s funny how things can change in the world of sport. That review was us hitting rock bottom- we fare-welled a champion in arguably the most insipid performance since the dark days of 2011-12. Two weeks ago the Port Adelaide Football Club were a shadow of their 2014 selves- our playing group seemed tired, our skill level was abysmal and our players appeared unwilling to do the basics that win games of football, and exhibit the team first attitude that our coach and captain have built this teams reputation around over the past 2 seasons. Then out of nowhere, something changed….at approximately the 10-15 minute mark of the 2nd quarter of last week’s game against Melbourne, a flicker emerged. Port Adelaide had returned, however not as we have come to know them. The few small things that Ken knew were the catalyst to our resurection- workrate, trust in one another, belief in the game plan and skill level appeared. The question then emerged- could we back it up? We followed through with a solid win last night to now sit 5-5, and I find myself asking- can I believe again? Are Port Adelaide a Top 8 chance, and if we make the 8, can we do some damage?

Last night was a funny old spectacle. I walked into the game with real concerns over the Dogs potential to win the contested footy and cut us open on the outside. Heading into the game they were the number one contested footy side and number one tackling side in the competition, and with players such as Dahlhaus, Macrae and Murphy capable of slicing through opposition defence and delivering to the likes of Stringer, Crameri and Boyd- the inconsistent nature of both sides had me fearing the worst- one couldn’t blame the average Port fan for that line of thinking, too!

What transpired was contrary to expectation. The Bulldogs were true to form in the contested stakes- however they were perhaps too defensively minded in their attempt to emulate the feats of West Coast and Richmond. They didn’t seem to have the run and carry offensively that we have seen from them in weeks gone by, namely against GWS and Adelaide. What Port Adelaide did display in contrast to our 3 most recent losses was composure with the footy, particularly coming out of defensive 50. We were beaten in centre clearances 58-47 (14-9 in centre clearances), which had us relying on forward half turnovers from the dogs in order to get our offensive transition under way. Unlike weeks gone by where we have blazed away either out of defensive 50 or when transitioning into our forward line, this week we were prepared to wait for the right option to open up. Aside from aiding the disposal efficiency stat, what control of the footy enabled us to do last night was set up defensively with controlled offensive possession. If we did turn the footy over (which let’s be honest, it’s going to happen more often that we would like), the likes of Carlisle, Hombsch, Clurey were an impenetrable wall across defensive 50. If they were surpassed, the likes of Jonas, Pittard, Broadbent and Impey as well as the midfielders, were not caught hopelessly out of position- thus rarely did we see the Dogs waltz into an open goal, or have a hopeless mismatch occurring deep in the drop zone. It is straight out of the Ross Lyon playbook, but it’s effective. I couldn’t give a stuff how it’s done, so long as we bank the 4 points.

Things that went Right:

• Our forward 6. In losses to West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane- we were a complete and utter abolishment forward of centre. There was no leads, we had forwards triple contesting inside 50 balls leaving nobody to mop the crumbs at the foot of the contest, we were simply incapable of taking a mark I50 and our goal kicking accuracy across those 3 games was 55%, 32% and 27%. The past 2 weeks we have shot at 72% and 80%. The old adage of back kicking is bad football rings true, so not only was it great to see us getting shots at goal (20 scoring shots from 44 entries), but we were taking marks inside 50 (14 @ 31%), our forwards were pressuring to lock the ball in (13 tackles I50), and we were punishing the dogs on the turnover (8.1 to 4.2- the dogs didn’t score a goal from a turnover until after half time). Don’t ask me how Ryder will fit back into this line up- 34 goals in 2 weeks compared with 23 in 3 losses….
• The W’s: Wines, Westhoff, Wingard, White= wickedly good. Wingard is a seriously special talent. There aren’t too many players in the competition who are better on the first take, and have that 6th sense awareness of the positioning of their team mates, or anticipating where they will be. Some of his handballs (the handball to release Monfries which lead to Hartlett’s goal) leave me amazed, and his tandem with Gray in the last quarter was a joy to watch. Wines was his usual best, just a beast around the stoppage in frenetic pursuit of the sherrin, with no regard for who dared try and stop him. White really set the tone for us early in the first quarter with some gut run and a couple of goals to stem the early flow, and Westhoff was back to his absolute best- creating havoc up forward and impassable in defensive 50.
• The performance of our next generation. Karl Amon gave us a glimpse of what we can expect in the future with some great decision making. Jarman Impey blanketed both Tory Dickson and Luke Dahlhaus, and Tom Clurey showed us we have some fantastic KPD depth, with a fantastic 2nd half in unison with Hombsch and Carlisle.

Things that went Wrong:

• I’ll think a little bit lateral here, but I hated the treatment of Travis Boak last night. How good was the Adelaide/Fremantle game last Saturday night? Why? Not only did we have 2 sides bash and crash their way to one of the games of the season, we saw 2 of the competitions stars in Fyfe and Dangerfield, no holds barred, dominate their way to 40 and 38 touches respectively, but it can be argued that neither were the difference in their team winning or losing. Fremantle were just that bit more composed with ball in hand and were able to convert half chances, thus giving us a look at football without the conventional tag. Watching Koby Stevens and Bailey Dale hang to Boak like fly to shit at stoppages with absolutely zero interest in the footy for the first 60 minutes was disappointing as a spectator. Fair enough Stevens was able to hurt Boak going the other way, but it’s an average evening as a paying spectator, having to sit through watching the players that put bums on seats mauled.
• The skill level of our prime ball users was a little disappointing. Broadbent had a pretty horrible first half by foot, Pittard was defensively brilliant but made some costly turnovers on simple skill execution, and Hartlett mixed 50 meter bullets with 15 meter shanks. Might see us be a 6-8 side, but won’t cut the mustard for anything higher.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Ollie Wines- Should be getting the contested plaudits of a Josh Kennedy or Patty Dangerfield, as his ability to hunt the footy, win it and set up his outside runners is absolutely outstanding for a 3rd year player. 33 touches (23 contested), a game high 11 clearances (9 stoppage), 5 tackles and a goal- put it this way, if his last name was Fyfe or Selwood, that is an automatic 3 vote game. Continues on that 25 average for the remainder of his career and he will be an outstanding player for this football club.

Chad Wingard- Averaging 21 touches and nearly 2 goals a game this year, he probably is back to his AA form of 2013 although is getting nowhere near the level of media plaudits he got that season. When he flicks the switch to #Wingod, he is almost unstoppable. 23 touches, 6 marks, 4 I50’s and 3 goals, not to mention 3 score assists and a game high 11 score involvements. Outstanding.

Justin Westhoff- THAT is the Hoff that I know and love!! Controlled proceedings when down back, and was a valuable target up forward and a great foil for Schulz and our smalls. 25 touches, 14 marks and 511 meters gained (outstanding for a big man). The problem now is to find these numbers when Ryder returns.

Jack Hombsch- My current leader of the John Cahill medal, this man has been nothing short of exceptional this season. Primarily on Crameri and Stringer, just kept them to absolutely no influence on the contest. 13 touches, 6 marks, 8 1% acts and almost 300 meters gained- shows that not only is he an ultra-reliable defender as an intercept mark, but is adding valuable rebound to the side. Gun.

Robbie Gray- My clear BOG at half time and whilst he faded out of the contest in the last half, I can’t bring myself to leave him out of our best. He is much like Wingard in the sense that anticipation and awareness of team mates and their positioning is unparalleled to anybody else in the comp. Continually finds space where there is none which is so critical to us being able to bust open the cluster around stoppages. 20 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 I50’s and a goal.

The Rest:

Brad Ebert- Pretty stiff to miss my Top 5, but there were probably 12 players who I could have snuck in there for one reason or another. Disposal efficiency a little down but won a stack of the footy on his way to another quality game, along with some great inside work with a game high 12 tackles. 22 touches, 6 marks and 3 I50’s.

Matt White- Another who is very stiff to miss the Top 5. His best game by far since North Melbourne. Looked to be carrying an injury up until last week, but has re-discovered his run and carry, and managed to hit the score sheet last night. 16 touches, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 2 I50’s and 2 goals.

Jasper Pittard- Defensively outstanding with 8 marks, 9 tackles and 14 pressure acts, but offensively gave us nothing last night. I’m not enjoying games where Broadbent and Pittard are not offering us run and carry, driving the footy into our forward 50 with regularity. Yes there was the turnovers from kickouts, yes there was the fumble under no pressure resulting in a goal- but dropping him will do us and him, no favours. We are a better side with Jasper in there and fingers crossed he can get back to where he was in the first 5 rounds.

Hamish Hartlett- Not bad in his 100th games, but still nowhere near his best yet. Finished with 20 touches, 5 clearances, 5 tackles, 4 I50’s and a goal. His meters gained for the evening was a paltry 155- for a man who can kick 60 without even using his driver and hamstrings, we need him delivering the footy into our forward 50 much more regularly, as well as getting on the end of some outside ball, as his leg is capable of getting us over the back of defensive zones and into scoring opportunities.

Matthew Broadbent- 2 of the absolute worst kick-outs you are likely to see which resulted in shots on goal- very uncharacteristic of Brogs, and I don’t think his skills improved much over the course of the evening. Won a fair bit of footy in the 2nd half and took a stack of marks, but much like Pittard we need him on the end of inside release and delivering inside 50. 18 touches, 11 marks, 2 I50’s.

Matthew Lobbe- 1 possession to half time before he worked his way into the contest with a much better 2nd half. He simply doesn’t offer much around the ground, but broke even in the midfield battle with Minson, finishing with 44 hitouts (10 to advantage). 7 touches and 5 tackles. The most damning stat for Lobbe is marks for the season. He is currently on 11- compare that with the best ruckman in the competition- Jacobs (50), Goldstein (37), Sandilands (34), Ryder (32), Mumford (23)….massive need to improve in this area.

Jay Schulz- Didn’t get a lot of it last night but took his opportunities when they arose. Found plenty of space but wasn’t honoured on the lead on many occasions. 9 touches, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals.

Jarman Impey- Really Really happy with Jars’ performance, probably his best game since he demolished Ballantyne in Adelaide last year. Was on Dickson for the first half and kept him to 9 touches before going onto Dahlhaus for the 2nd half, keeping him to just 3 touches where Luke had accumulated 17 by Half Time. Gets better and better with each game that he plays. Many people were critical of Krakouer being demoted to the rookie list ahead of Sam Gray- truth is Hinkley and the coaching staff didn’t opt for Gray over Krakouer, they opted for Impey over Krakouer, and on last nights performance you can see why. 17 touches, 5 marks and 4 tackles.

Sam Gray- Thought his 2nd and 3rd quarters were really valuable, particularly when opportunistic goals looked like becoming the difference. As mentioned above, we have not gone Gray over Krakouer, we have opted for Gray over Neade and I thought Sam offered us enough to remain in the side. 9 touches, 3 tackles and 1 goal.

Travis Boak- Just mauled around the stoppages and is being given no space to work his magic. The downside to Boak’s game last night is that Stevens was able to hurt the other way when opposed to him. 22 touches @ 59%, 8 clearances, and a goal isn’t a bad evening on paper, but 2 tackles and 1 I50 is well down on his normal output.

Paul Stewart- You know what you are going to get each week from Stewy, and last night was no exception. Won some ball, kicked a goal, got involved in a few possession chains leading to scores. Mightn’t be enough to keep him in the side when Ryder returns, but he is a valuable depth player. Finished with 16 touches, 3 marks and a goal.

Karl Amon- Gave me trouser movement with that scintillating 50 meter pass to Westhoff over the back from 2 or 3 steps, hopefully a sign of what is to come from a lad in his 4th game. 13 touches, 5 clearances and 176 meters gained- I feel will become increasingly important now that Polec looks to be out for the rest of the season.

Alipate Carlisle- Not much to report on Bobby’s game apart from the smashing he gave Boyd. Kept Tom to 4 touches and 0.0 whilst helping himself to 8 touches and 3 marks. Another solid leader’s performance, he really set the example for the likes of Clurey.

Tom Clurey- Signed a contract during the week, tying him to the club until the end of 2017, and showed that he really wants to be a part of this group and is prepared to fight tooth and nail for his spot in the side. Only clearly outbodied in one contest vs. Crameri, but came into his own after half time. 9 touches and 6 marks, I have really enjoyed watching him over the past 2 weeks and do believe there is a role in this side for him.

Angus Monfries- For the doubters of Gus out there, have a look at his past 5 weeks. Was arguably our best player across the 3 losses with multiple goals, kicked a couple last week in his 200th and was back to his defensive best last night, completely smashing Murphy- keeping him to just 12 disposals whilst helping himself to 10 touches and a goal. For the stat heads out there, Murphy hasn’t been kept to 12 touches since 2012. A cracking performance from Gus, showed his versatility and adds real value to our side.

Tom Jonas- Nothing much to report on TJ’s game, just the 10 touches, 5 tackles and 5 marks. Defensively very good, which is a big improvement on his season thus far.

Aaron Young- Came on in the last quarter as sub and had a fair impact. 8 touches, 2 clearances and a tackle. Will have to fight tooth and nail to fit into this side.

So with the ledger back at 5-5, the next 2 weeks before the bye pose a nervous fortnight for myself and no doubt many Power fans. Can we go into the bye with some optimism for 2015 at 7-5? Can we prove that we are still a premiership threat?

I’m bloody pumped for this next game. Geelong at the Portress on a Friday night- must get 50k to this one so work can slip me $10k haha. There is a cracking atmosphere for night games at AO, and with a limited supply of Friday night games available due to the outstanding spectacle that is Carlton dominating market share- both the team and the supporters need to get behind this one and show the competition that AFL in South Australia has a thumping pulse and deserves prime time slots.

Disappointing to hear of another Port fan abusing an autistic Dogs fan on Saturday night. Fingers crossed witnesses to this appalling incident come forward to out this wanker, and have his membership torn up. The club has worked incredibly hard to restore its reputation on field, we need to carry that reputation off of it, and imbeciles like said fan, are not required.

See you at the footy!!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Headlines we'd love to see

Zartan wrote:John Butchers kick

No Zartan- this is "headlines we'd love to see", not "headlines we're sick of seeing"

;)
by valleys07
Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

EJ Whitten. Outstanding work, Mike Sheehan.

Feels like yesterday when he passed, remember watching the Footy Show as clear as day.

Some great footage- that lap of honour before the 95' SOO game will go down as my most vivid sporting moment.
by valleys07
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Lobbe has an average game this weekend, and surely his spot will come under some serious scrutiny, with Ryder due back after the bye.

A ruckman that lays tackles but is low on marks and low on hit-outs to advantage, is surely a liability to any football team.

Agree with Boon's assessment. Probably harsh on Monfries, but the rest are spot on.
by valleys07
Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Lobbe has an average game this weekend, and surely his spot will come under some serious scrutiny, with Ryder due back after the bye.

A ruckman that lays tackles but is low on marks and low on hit-outs to advantage, is surely a liability to any football team.

Agree with Boon's assessment. Probably harsh on Monfries, but the rest are spot on.
Agreed, one of at least a dozen playing under par.

Wines, Hombsch and Carlisle are the only 3 who stand out for me, Ebert's been more than useful, Gray and Wingard at times but can go missing.

Wines has frustrated me at times this year. Wins enough cod, but is just mindlessly throwing it on the boot to waiting zones. Last friday night brought it to a head, as it seemed as though every touch of his was a turnover.

I would love him to win the contested footy along with Moore, Ah Chee, Boak and release to our runners by hand, thus creating space, or at least clear possession.

I was at the crows/hawks game last night, and I was seated in the 3rd tier on the eastern side. Unlike my weekly position at Port games, I got a really good look at the play unfolding.

Hawthorn have two points of difference that stands out above all others. Patience and execution.

The crows were applying some very good defensive structures, but Hawthorn found a white jumper at almost every stoppage, or every forward entry. They had the likes of Mitchell and Lewis winning the contested footy where a Smith, Hill, Duryea, Suckling would be perfectly positioned for the uncontested recieve, and from there they would cut through the zone with ridiculous ease, or if Adelaide's press was well positioned, they would employ a series of switches and short passes and punished the one crows defender who eventually made an error.

Port and the Crows are serial offenders when it comes to wasting the footy under pressure, or perceived pressure.

Seriously- its not hard for team mates to tell you that you have a couple of meters, and it only takes 1 teammate to make enough space to take a mark where the game is under your control- the opposition can't do much when they don't have the ball. From there patience and good skills are all that is required to get scores on the board.

What also sets Hawthorn apart from others is they are offensively predictable to themselves. They rarely move the footy backwards, its either a switch across ground to go down the line, or its a switch across the ground only to cut through the corridor or go through the corridor and out the other side from which they came. It only needs to throw one defender out when tracking his man as well as the movement of the footy to open up enough space for a forward 50 entry, mark and potential shot on goal.

Both Adelaide teams need to get much better in these areas imo.
by valleys07
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Another little one...Round 12

Brodlach wrote:If Jasper Pittard plays for 10 years he will double anyone in history

Falling over under no pressure without footy in hand is not a clanger.
by valleys07
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5 years? Please....get back to me in another 18 years and see if you've still got a sense of humor.

We used to **** in every room of the house. Then, about 10 years ago we only ****** in the bedroom. Now, we walk past each other in the hallway and just say "**** you".

And yet you still took her to Thailand!

Who says I funded the trip? :D

Well for a "**** you" in the hallway, its the least she could do :D
by valleys07
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

My lad getting a "bad report card" from childcare:

Apparently he takes comforters belonging to other children whilst they are holding them, and laughs when they start crying :oops:

No idea where he has got it from, as he doesn't have a comforter at home. He hasn't exhibited that nature around other kids from what I have seen, either.

Let the fun begin :lol:
by valleys07
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

Only thing being knocked down a peg around here is your credibility after each post champ..

Guess thats the great thing about such a forum. No one has a clue who i am. I'd have a chat with him when he matches what i did in my career. Until then, he is just an insignificant Midget with little man syndrome

The great thing about that is that we at least know what McGregor puts on the park each week.

Given that we have no idea who you are or "what you did in your career", we have the freedom to conclude your post likens that of a keyboard warrior with an inferiority complex.
by valleys07
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Brilliant, Titus. Brilliant.

"Carlton (103) v Gold Coast (69)

How can you tell your life hasn’t worked out? You’re a neutral fan and you watched this".

by valleys07
Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The last little one..round 13ish

Dead set, the MRP is getting more and more baffling.

Franklin has two options, collect the ball and be tackled or over run the ball and take the player on. He does the latter.

He then collects the player high with a shoulder to the head.

Why is that a one week ban? ( 2 back to one )

cmon Boon, you blokes now face the swannies without there to key FWDs. One will do you surely :D

Come on FS! Derickx will probably bob up and kick 5, whilst we spend all night trying to hit Vossy on the tit up in the coaches box.
by valleys07
Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

What the actual ****!

Vale Phil, that is absolutely shocking.
by valleys07
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Normal transmission has resumed

**** off Pittard.

I have stuck up for him time and time again, but seriously, **** off.
by valleys07
Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Normal transmission has resumed

He was in the hands of the trainer, broadbent had no reason to try and knock him over. If it was the other way atound you'd say the same...

And if it was the other way around, you would also do the same.

Poor form from Brogs, very un-sportsman like, but a dog?

Sniping someone from behind is a dog act, softly bumping into someone in the hands of a trainer is poor form.
by valleys07
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Someone feel free to post the entire Titus review, but this quote is an absolute pisser:

“Caleb Daniel impressed in his debut when he came on at half time. At 167cm, the Doggies deserve some credit for drafting someone at that size. At some clubs they would try and set him on fire at their Christmas party”.

=)) =))

Brilliant, Titus. I needed that laugh after the weekend we have had in footy.
by valleys07
Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Nature Play passport my youngest got given by his teacher. You register it online and you get given all these missions to complete, and then put the corresponding stickers on your passport. It promotes outdoor play and national parks and such. Today I took the little dude to Kuitpo, where we raced some leaf boats, played hide and seek in the forest, had a picnic sitting on a log, listened for birds, and gave each other mud tattoos. :D

That is awesome!

I would probably end up buying it for myself :lol: (big kid at heart haha!)
by valleys07
Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 15 and we're into the home stretch

Geez my heart aches for the players. What an incredibly gutsy performance just to get out and play. The reaction comes as no surprise, you poor blokes.
by valleys07
Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne 2015

Just done a ladder predictor, with your only losses being to Fremantle and Richmond. ( Depending which North choose to show up )

It's not your draw that will be the problem, it's the fact you're 3 games and 40+% behind 4th now.

You've already lost 7 ( only one more than Port who are seemingly out of the finals race ) and with two more losses that'll be 9 losses. Who has ever finished 4th with 8 or 9 losses? :lol:

If, IF you go 6-2 you'll be 13/9, 7-1 you'll be 14/8.

4th, Hawthorn, have 10 wins now.

Yes, I've seen the draw.

This isn't the forum for common sense, Boon.

Tsk Tsk.
by valleys07
Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry Benny- funnily enough, the short reply was due to the fact we got called out of work as part of a fire drill :lol:

I guess other blokes at work discovered this beauty at the same time as me :lol:
by valleys07
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't mind his inclusion in the squad. Beneficial for a couple of reasons:

1) As has been mentioned, has been in reasonable form with the Magpies. Making the extended squad will give him a lot of confidence heading into the rest of the season, knowing the coaching staff are noticing his performances.
2) It is great experience for young draftees to experience AFL standard preparation. Applying what he learns from how the likes of Boak, Gray, Ebert prepare for games will really assist him back at SANFL level, this perhaps improving his performance. He will learn the little things it takes to succeed.
by valleys07
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I rate getting set to sign a contract on a new place in Tea Tree Gully, tonight.

Pretty excited :D
by valleys07
Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diary of some pregnant blokes

Never felt so useless in my life...

Agreed.
I got right into it, the adrenalin of the situation was enthralling, we didn't even need the nurses, only to do the catching at the end.

You do develop the utmost respect for your partner after the experience and it's an everlasting memory that can never be taken away, a moment that gives me goosebumps still 20, 12 and 10 years on, I remember each moment as though it was yesterday.

This x 1,000,000.

Speaking of the entire labour experience- we shifted houses about 4 months ago, and rummaging through hoards of junk to pack away, I came across a piece of paper which I had used to write down the time between Mrs. Valleys contractions. Never has a simple piece of paper held so much meaning.

Junior Valleys turns 1 on wednesday week. Simply can't comprehend where the year has gone, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The lad has brought joy to my life parallel to nothing.
by valleys07
Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Divison 4 Tipping

Kilburn
North Haven
Eastern Park
Hope Valley
Salisbury.
by valleys07
Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:@valleys07 there might be a surprise big man selection at Alberton tonight.

Please be Mitch Harvey.

If our season is stuffed, at least have a look at what some kids have to offer.
by valleys07
Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Monfries is very much out of form, and has had a poor season. I can't see us de-listing him though.
by valleys07
Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

Sorry lads, only just caught this post.

Tipping will be back for another season. Ill be sure to get a competition up and running shortly.
by valleys07
Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Division I 2015

Rik E Boy wrote:Need Dutchy's and Marion ManBearPigs scores as well lads. If you click on rank by total points that's what I need.

regards,

REB

Marion ManBearPigs- 36 094
Dutchy 34 948
by valleys07
Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: St Kilda 2015

:lol: @ LM.

On a serious note, fantastic reward for Holmes, the St.Kilda FC and the AFL as a whole.

They are serious athlete's, the yanks- so hopefully this debut entices a few more over here to give our game a go.
by valleys07
Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spargo HH3 Jimmy_041 Pels Flyinghigh Alaska Johno6 +Anybody else that I have forgotten & are keen:

SAFooty NFL tipping is back for the 2015-16 season!

Please join the competition using this link: http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SA_Footy_NFL_Tipping_2015-16

Password is SAFooty.

Entry fee will be $10, prize money determined once I have confirmed the number of participants. Wedgie - Any chance of some SAFooty merch for the winner?

Please let me know when you have joined, and I will PM you my bank details (I cannot remember what I sent everyone last year). If you enter the comp and dont pay- tip away but you will remain ineligble for the prize pool.

Enjoy and best of luck!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Shield Grand Final Thread

:partyman: :partyman: :partyman:

Commiserations Pool Swimmers.

Division 1 Premiers :D
by valleys07
Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Best of luck to the Houghton boys today. Q- I hope the lads reward your tremendous loyalty to HFC with a premiership.

Hopefully two ex-HV lads Micky G and Franga have blinders and pick up a flag.
by valleys07
Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

An update on the tipping comp. So far I have:

Valleys
Flying High
Pels
HH3
Johno
Alaska
Jimmy
Patawalonga Pirate
SHAM (unsure who this is)
Mark Barrington (Pels' mate??)

Anybody else that is keen to join- hurry, the matches start this week.

Please join the competition using this link: http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SA_Fo ... ng_2015-16

Password is SAFooty.

Entry fee will be $10,

Cheers,

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Toumpas to Port?

That is the whisper, SD.
Chad Cornes will be very happy with that news. I couldn't seeing him make the seniors though.

Yeah it looks unlikely at this point, Ruben. He would need to improve his speed, as well as significantly improve his inside game to add value to PA, as that Polec/White type line breaker.

Hopefully a strong pre-season sees him over his injury concerns, and anything can happen.

I was discussing this with Failed Creation last night- in what is considered a very weak draft after the first round, it is a risk that is well worth taking, IMO.
by valleys07
Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome news for Hammer, and the PAFC.

Its been well documented in the days post Hawthorn's GF win, how they have managed to keep their core group together (minus buddy) from their 2001-2008 drafts, and trade their way to sustained success. If we manage to secure Chad and Ollie to long term deals next year, we would have done something similar with our core in Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines, Trengove, Ryder, (Dixon if he gets here), Ebert all locked away on long term deals.

Hopefully this can contribute to some sustained success.

Agreed Booney , Normally apprehensive with long deals for players with a history of injury, but I am confident we have made the right decision with Hammer. Glad to see his faith in the club rewarded- hopefully he can reward the fans (and himself) with a premiership.
by valleys07
Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tredders now reporting that Richmond have tabled their first rounder for Lobbe.

Geez, I would seriously consider that trade..

Edit- In saying that, it would be dangerous given WADA's challenge against the Essendon verdict..
by valleys07
Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |