Search found 786 matches

Return

Re: Things that you rate!

bennymacca wrote:The birth of my first son, Angus Craig, last night. Mum and baby doing well. So pumped!

Congrats, Benny!

All the best for the wonderful journey ahead!
by valleys07
Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Premiership Drought

You would have to say the Dogs at this point.

It might not seem it at this point, but I do think the Saints are assembling a decent core. Billings/Longer/Dunstan/McCartin/Newnes/Goddard. Add another quality defender to that mix alongside Carlisle (if acquired) in this draft, and they may begin their rise by 2017.
by valleys07
Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Premiership Drought

For mine- I do believe (due to the nature of the crowds), a full house at AO is still less intimidating than a full house at Domain.

Have you been there for a game? Curious to know what it's like for an opposition spectator.

I haven't personally. I am basing my opinion on the number of power fans that I know, who went over for the semi final in 2014.

A particular work colleague went to all 3 finals in 2014- and said that Perth was another level compared to Adelaide and Melbourne.
by valleys07
Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trades/Drafts (Nov & PSD/Rookie) - 2015

BZB27 wrote:I hope we hold firm and not give up pick 5.

Soon as the Hawks come calling he backflips on us.

I would love it for other clubs to stop extending Hawthorn's premiership window.
by valleys07
Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This one came from BF- pretty apt:

Alistair Clarkson: I could say that this Jed Anderson wins premierships.
Brad Scott: How does it work?
Clarkson: It doesn't work! It's just a stupid Jed Anderson! But you don't see any empty trophy cabinets around here, do you?

Scott: Clarko, I'd like to buy your Jed Anderson.
by valleys07
Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:Collingwood supporters in trade week:

You can throw Port fans into that group, too.

I am starting to think the Suns have sub contracted Adrian Dodoro for this trade period..
by valleys07
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glad Toumpas deal is now official, hopefully Dixon deal is done tomorrow!

I was hoping we'd gone off Toumpas as I don't rate him at all. Yeah we didn't have a great year but he couldn't get a game at Melbourne where will he fit in with us? I'd prefer Young and Moore and they can't cement a spot.

I think for what we gave up, Carey- the Toump is a steal. Top 5 talent in his draft, we certainly weren't going to select that with pick 50 or 68.

I know of one AFL scout that never rated him, and still doesn't, due to his lack of genuine inside ball winning ability. Couple that with suspect pace since his hip issues, and it is hard to see him forcing his way into our 22 on a regular basis, unless he improves dramatically over the pre-season.

Still- Polec was a top 5 talent at Brisbane that wasn't getting a consistent run due to injury and form, and even when he first arrived at Port- it was apparent that there was a lot of work to be done. Ken put him to the sword on the track and he became a consistent contributor in 2014, and looked like progressing to an A grade talent this season, before his foot injury put a halt to that. I'm not saying that Toump is anywhere near Jared, but they are of similar outside mould. If Toump has a ripping pre-season, there is no reason why he cant line up on a wing come Round 1- especially if Burgess and his team take the precautionary approach with Polec this pre-season, which I expect them to.
by valleys07
Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unbelievable trade.

Well done Adelaide. As for Carlton- put down the crack pipe. 28 and Kerridge for one of the few shining lights in your squad??

:weedman:
by valleys07
Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In no way did I mean Minson to come to Port, more thinking from a Bulldogs point of view getting Lobbe in and spending pick 11 and a player when you have a former AA ruckman there
Make that former AA Ruckman that spent most of the season in the 2's.

Also Boon's dislike of Minson stems from the Kane Cornes incident a few years back when Minson could actually play....

Lets not forget the Danyle Pearce incident also..
by valleys07
Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Jim05 wrote:NSW declared

435 to win. Shame we don't get 5 innings to chase it down..
by valleys07
Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 gradings

Div 8 is pure C&D comp... Unley unlikely to seek promotion as we want to play our C's and D's amonst other similar clubs for a whole heap of valid reasons.

I think there's a reasonable chance that D8 will not exist or will be in a radically different form next year. I would be very unsurprised if the top 6-7 teams in Div 8 in 2015 aren't in D7 with Flinders Uni etc in 2016. If Unley wants to play against clubs in a similar position's C Grade I dare say they'll (i.e TTG, PAOC, Old Iggies, PNU) be more than likely to be in D7

I have to disagree with this post. Why would D8 not exist when it has worked well over the past 3-4years?? It is a great comp for C/D teams which gives opportunities for clubs to have more senior players on their lists with 7 player benches. I know from a GGFC perspective we had a number of occasions this year where we had both C & D grade teams with the 25 players max. and a couple of blokes missing out altogether. Why would we want to go to Div7 where there are 4 player benches?? Therefore, you have potentially 8 players missing out each week.

And, I agree with @BigB we want to play against other C/D grade clubs. Why would a 'C' grade team want to come up against an 'A' grade team every second week?? Not much of an even playing field.

By the same token, why would a D4 club's C-Grade want to come up against a D1 club's C-grade?

With only 4 A-Grade clubs currently in D7, it makes sense to pull the top 5 up from D8.

This. If your C grade side struggles like ours has for the past 2 seasons- morale around the club can quickly diminish.

Our boys have taken alot out of playing the likes of Unley/PAC/TTG over the past 2 years, but I for one would very much appreciate the opportunity to play against C grade sides from the lower A grade divisions, to get some competitiveness back into our C grade side, and hopefully the enjoyment that goes with having some success.
by valleys07
Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
carey wrote:Adelaide United.

Pathetic

5 weeks into the season, and we still haven't scored a goal...

Sounds like my social outings.

I have to say, If i'd been guaranteed 1 in every 5 weeks when I was out on the town- I would have jumped at it :lol:
by valleys07
Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA v WA Shield

Mennie 4fa

WA all out 211
by valleys07
Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

stan wrote:Andrew Moore picked up at Richmond as a delisted free agent.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I wish Moorey well.
by valleys07
Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

Williamson brings up his ton.

One of the few opposition players I enjoy watching, effortless at the crease.
by valleys07
Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This world of our's...

Not to offend any religious posters but....

John Lennon's idea of a world without religion is looking pretty good right about now..
by valleys07
Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pretty good crowd here at the convention centre.

Few nervous 18 year old lads sitting in front of me!
by valleys07
Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1- Jacob Weitering (Carlton)
by valleys07
Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The farewell haka at Jonah Lomu's funeral. Bloody moving stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrI_GW9DAfI
by valleys07
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

ACN operates through a similar pyramid model.

I went along to one of their info sessions held at a mates house and was pretty interested until I did some more research, and subsequently bailed.
by valleys07
Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2015

Well done Adelaide. Simple is effective.
by valleys07
Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Congratulations to Robbie Gray- our 2015 John Cahill Medallist (Back to Back)

Robbie wins ahead of Chad Wingard and Jack Hombsch
by valleys07
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Best & Fairest Winners

Steve Summerton wins the Magpies B&F ahead of Tom Logan and Kane Mitchell
by valleys07
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015/16 NBL Season

Well that last quarter wasn't without some nervous moments!

Sixers snap their 3 game losing streak 76-66.
by valleys07
Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port are giving its members 4 gifts heading into the 2015 festive season. Below is gift number 1, and a nice little starter it is, too- our skipper (and a massive man crush of mine) signs a 1 year contract extension!

Much love Boaky!

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-12-14/boak-captain-docks-at-port-forever

Surely Chad will be the final announcement, I hope that Ollie and his management have agreed to terms also.

Lock these 2 away and it’s all I’ll need for Christmas!
by valleys07
Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015/16 Big Bash League

Alex Ross seriously putting his name up in lights for national honours in the shorter formats.

His Matador Cup Semi Final was a brilliant innings to watch, and his batting against the stars was unreal.
by valleys07
Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2-0 :D :D

Alex Ross :heart: :heart:
by valleys07
Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sooo.... what didya get?

Mum bought Mrs. Valleys and I a voucher to the Lakes Hotel.
In-laws bought us ticketek vouchers and gave us a bit of cash
Also got the Chris Judd bio from my KK.

Junior valleys got spoilt rotten, seeing him open all of his presents, and the joy on his face outweighed anything I received.
by valleys07
Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GIMME ******* HEAD!!!!

Unbelievable!!
by valleys07
Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really want to head over to SA to watch a game of cricket- with cricket to be the 2nd best thing I'll see..
by valleys07
Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

What is sad is the fact that this story has dominated various forms of media, less than a day after a bloke drove he and his 2 kids off a cliff, and another had his life support turned off as a result of a cowardly punch.

Not to say that what Gayle did was appropriate (not sexist though), but surely this is prime time to again highlight our nations issues surrounding alcohol fuelled violence and depression..
by valleys07
Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 6 2016

Great gets for the Farm. Lynch and Cree should tear D6 apart.
by valleys07
Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Open session Firday Jan 22 at 9am, @Failed Creation @valleys07

Back to work unfortunately mate, so i'll have to give it a miss :(

Be sure to let me know who looks the goods, and I expect a few snaps FC!

Lock in the NAB challenge match on 27/2 at the Ponderosa for a few froths, Lads!
by valleys07
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Get the ****ing cricket on C10, you ****ing muppets!!
by valleys07
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Polec was 3rd for PA in running bounces, Inside 50's and Rebound 50's for season 2014. Port were #1 in the comp that season for average marks I50- courtesy of the quality and speed of our outside ball movement. Polec and White were huge figures in that. No surprises that minus Polec, and injury and form re. White- our numbers dropped significantly in these statistical categories.

JK summed it up- not a top 40 player, but a hugely important link to Port's transition of the footy.
by valleys07
Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another bit of positive news out of Alberton today- Jared Polec joined in with the main group today for the first time in 265(?) days. Polly said himself that the foot felt really good, and is now targeting 1 NAB cup game, and with the clearance of rehabilitation staff and the selection committee- selection for R1.

Absolutely stoked with this news!

And in other positive news- Charlie Dixon didn't fall over, and social media was quiet ;)
by valleys07
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

Gents,

Sorry for the delay. I congratulate SHAM as the winner of the 2015-16 SAFooty NFL Tipping Comp!

$90 is coming your way, mate.

Congratulations must also go to Patowalongapirate and Mickey for finishing 2nd ($30) and 3rd ($10) respectively. Gents- please PM me your bank details for your prizes.

Pels , please PM me your bank details to transfer the winnings for SHAM.

Thanks to all for participating again, I'll be back to run it again next year.

Cheers,

Valleys.
by valleys07
Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

All the best, Carey. Hope she is on the up soon mate.
by valleys07
Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Elite 2016

I need email addys for Inner Sanctum, Feenix, Shake'n'Bake, Wadey and Tight_Lines. Please PM me your email addys so I can send out league and group invitations. We didn't get our full compliment of Elite coaches last year and the league ranking suffered because of it. We need our best coaches to represent.

regards,

REB

PM AGENT09 for Inner Sanctum, REB. He has posted on the Div II thread.
by valleys07
Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UK- you posted that in 2015 we invested cash into our community programs, despite posting an operating loss at the 2015 AGM (for the 2014 season), which you are quite right in saying that, at the time, it was significant debt.

I dare say that $1.5m would have been invested into our community programs, knowing that with all other investments, stadium deals etc. we would still be posting an operating profit for 2015.

Now- i'll be the first to admit I am nowhere near up to speed with the financials of the PAFC, but here is your chance UK to educate me on where I am wrong with what I have written, without resorting to personal insults.

Go.

Never mind. Another poster has taken the time out to PM me and discuss where my train of thought was, which was very different to yours.

All good- play on.

Cheers.
by valleys07
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015/16 NBL Season

From the JR Facebook page:

"Two days ago I suffered a scary injury during a game; pain I never felt before wondering is this it, is this what it'll be for my career? Mind wondering, what's next, how serious is it, how long will I be out, why did this happen....etc. couldn't sleep and anxious to know the results. All I can say is im thankful to God it was none of that, no ACL,MCL, PCL no structural damage, all soft tissue intact and I'll be out for two weeks. Didn't want to let my team down in that way and after that incident I needed to not think about myself and be there for my teammates because they needed me even though I wasn't playing and I needed that support as well. Thank you to all the Adelaide fans who didn't turn there backs and still supported me through that scary moment. Much love and respect for the city, our team is real with Jerome Randle or without because of our passion and heart, and we have players who will step up during my absence and take care of business. Good teams don't fold under pressure, they make adjustments. 36ers ARE COMING!!!!!!!!!!"

****ing love this man!
by valleys07
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Disappointing, but not surprising. The AFL are proving themselves as utterly incompetent for their handling of this entire saga.

Caveat Emptor re. Ryder- but Port should have been compensated for Monfries.
by valleys07
Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a ripping lad he is! Massive signature- to say I am stoked is an understatement.

Finest of Wines!
by valleys07
Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Season 2016- Part 2

The Believers:

Despite their obvious failings in 2015, after their 3 week horror run against West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane- the Power’s fortunes did improve over the back half of the season, recording a 9-5 win loss record at a percentage of 119. Sure- in that block was a loss to cellar dwellars Carlton, but Port also recorded wins against the Bulldogs, a depleted Fremantle and Hawthorn, and narrowly lost to Adelaide. The 2nd half of the season wasn’t necessarily about on field performances and who the Power beat, it was more the discovery of depth players to become important best 22 team members, who wouldn’t have been considered at the start of the season.

Rookie elevation Sam Gray was the standout of this group, having an elite end to the season, particularly between rounds 18-23. Gray ranked top 2 at the club, and top 20 in the competition between R18-23 for disposals, inside 50’s, contested possession and clearances, accumulating 34,37 and 34 disposals in rounds 21-23. Transfer that form into season 2016 on the back of a strong pre-season, and Ken Hinkley has a versatile midfield at his disposal. Whilst discussing midfielders, Brendan Ah Chee showed signs in the final month that he too, can become an important cog in Port’s midfield. 25 touches and 9 score involvements against Hawthorn, on the back of 20 touches and 3 goals in a 3 vote game against GWS shows that the signs are there. These 2 names for mine are particularly important alongside the big guns in Boak, Ebert, Wines and Robbie Gray, as increased midfield depth will provide Hinkley with the flexibility to have Robbie Gray spend more time up forward, where he spent 67% of game time, compared with 43% in 2014. Jake Neade began to look comfortable up forward, kicking 8 goals from his final 6 games, averaging a career high 12 touches per game, and Karl Amon when not the sub, highlighted his potential with a 16 disposal 3 goal performance against the Suns. One of these options must emerge themselves to assist Wingard and compensate for the loss of Monfries in the small forward role, both offensively and defensively.

As far as first 22 is concerned, the Power’s on-ball brigade is impressive and almost the perfect age profile. Lobbe (27), R. Gray (27), Boak (27), Ebert (25), Hartlett (25), Polec (23) and Wines (21), whilst up forward, Jay Schulz is the only listed player over the age of 30, whilst Westhoff (29), Dixon (25), Wingard (22) round out the Power’s go to forwards. With the 9th ranked list in the competition as far as age profile- the Power are still well placed to challenge beyond season 2016.

The sceptics:

Port’s hopes of winning the premiership a year after missing the finals reads like a pipe dream, rather than a distinct possibility. Only 2 teams in the last 20 years in Geelong (2007) and Adelaide (1997) have won the premiership the season after missing the finals. Worse still- numbers in large sample sizes put a glaring spotlight on Port as a premiership pretender. Round 12 2014, Port sat atop of the AFL ladder with a 10-1 win loss record, and had its sights set on it’s first Grand Final berth since 2007. Since that loss to Sydney, Port have won 16 of their last 33 home and away games- 10 fewer than Fremantle, and 9 fewer than Hawthorn and Sydney. What concerns me about this stat is the fact that Port Adelaide’s best players have played in a majority of these games. Whilst Port Adelaide’s top end talent is up there with the best in the competition, and the players uncovered in the 2nd half of season 2015 add valuable versatility- I amongst many pessimistic Port fans will still question our depth and our ability to cover not only Ryder and Monfries, but the loss of a Lobbe, Trengove or Carlile.

The Fixture:

Champion Data has ranked Port’s 2016 fixture 14th in degree of difficulty- and it’s not hard to see why. In 2015 Port were dealt as tough a first 5 weeks as you are likely to see, with the 3 preliminary finalists in Hawthorn, Sydney and North Melbourne, along with top 4 side Fremantle, all in the first 5 week block- but Port’s troubles, funnily enough, came against the predicted winnable games in Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong, Richmond, with narrow wins recorded against Collingwood and Essendon.

So with Port’s struggles in 2015 against sides that joined them outside of the 8, how can any punter go into season 2016 backing Port with any confidence?

The key point of our fixture for mine, again, is our first 5 weeks- 4 of which are at Adelaide Oval- St. Kilda, Adelaide, Essendon and Geelong, with our only road trip being to Startrack Oval to take on GWS in Round 4. Playing 2 finalists from 2015 in the first 8 rounds means that we are a real chance to enter our round 9 clash against the Eagles at 6-2, provided we are mentally focused. Of course, there is also the potential for us to treat our opponents with complete lack of respect, and enter round 9 with our season in tatters at 3-5.

Our 12 games at Adelaide Oval see us take on 5 finalists from the previous season, and 10 games against finalists from 2015, compared to 2015 where we played 13 games against finalists from 2014. We are also scheduled for back to back games at Adelaide Oval 3 times over the course of the season, Rounds 1-3, 15-16 and 21-22. Commercially our Adelaide Oval fixture is also favourable with 6 of our 12 home games played at night. Port Adelaide will also head to every state bar Tasmania, with 2 trips to the MCG. Gotta be happy with that, Power fans!

The List:

At the beginning of season 2014- Champion data had 16 Port Adelaide players rate in the top 35% of their respective position, with 4 players rating “elite”. Fast forward 2 seasons and just 12 players rate in the top 35% (11 excluding Paddy Ryder), with just 2 elite players in Robbie Gray and Chad Wingard. Comparing that to West Coast (6 elite and 16 in the top 35%) and Hawthorn (8 elite, 15 in the top 35%), and Port requires a lift from players in the “average” category (Ebert, Broadbent, Polec, Dixon, Trengove, Carlile) to press for a top 4 berth. Champion Data rates Port Adelaide’s list to be the 5th best in the competition behind Hawthorn, West Coast, Fremantle and Sydney but much like Hawthorn, have a majority of their quality forward of centre. Port Adelaide ranks 3rd in the competition, but must cash in shortly given the age of Schulz, Westhoff and Monfries. Of it’s core group- Port has 15 players aged in the prime age bracket of 25-29, with the quality of this group ranking 5th in the competition.

Port Adelaide’s biggest list concern is defence. Key defenders rank 4th in the competition (thanks to Jack Hombsch), but of Port Adelaide’s 8 small defenders/general defenders, only one player in Jasper Pittard ranks above average. Tom Jonas and Jarman Impey rate below average (bottom 35% of their position), with Jackson Trengove and Bobby Carlile ranking as average (middle 30% of their position).

Valleys’ Final Thoughts:

It’s obvious that CAS has dealt the Power a big blow before the season starts, with Ryder and Monfries being suspended for the season. Port Adelaide has the talent across all lines, the draw is favourable, everything is in place to challenge- but aside from huge amounts of luck with injury to players such as Lobbe/Dixon and Schulz, complacency was Port Adelaide’s biggest enemy in 2015.

Ken Hinkley has publicly declared his desire to scale back the game plan and revert back to the free-flowing style that we saw in 2014. However- whilst it is clear that this team on its day has no problem scoring, it did have season long issues in stopping scores the other way, with team defence needing a massive shake-up if we are to return to the top 8.

Port Adelaide’s strength and conditioning department headed by Darren Burgess is industry leading, so I am backing in their ability to manage our list effectively, and ensure a healthy list and quick recovery from injuries. We are walking a very tight rope with a couple of players- but with an increased focus to avoid complacency, and a favourable draw- Port Adelaide will return to September action for season 2016. Just how far we go? Well luck will decide that fate.

Predicted finish: 4th
by valleys07
Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PORT ADELAIDE president David Koch has completed his mission of making the Power a “sustainable business”. Now he has to clear significant debt at Alberton.

“It is unacceptably high — it is as simple as that,” says Koch of the red ink on Port Adelaide’s financials.

The Power this month reported its first profit — $211,302 — in eight years, but lost in the analysis of Port Adelaide’s finances, particularly among the members at the club’s annual meeting, was the club’s long-standing debt.

While Port Adelaide has slashed its short-term borrowings in the past year — from $2.75 million to $340,819 — the club’s long-term loans have more than tripled from $2m to $6.675m.

In essence, the Power — which has increased its net assets to $4m to remain a viable business — has eased the immediate need to pay bills at Alberton.

“In previous years we’ve sought advances from the AFL to keep our heads above water,” Koch said. “Now we are on schedule with all our AFL payments.”

Port Adelaide ranks high among AFL club’s carrying debt beyond the league $5 million debt ceiling, a trigger than forces league to intervene in the club’s administration.

But the club’s growth to record membership (topping the Crows for the first time since 1991 in the SA market), record crowds at Adelaide Oval and record corporate support that has tripled to $18m in the past three years has taken Port Adelaide off the AFL’s high-concern list.

The debt, however, remains a concern at Alberton.

“We are working to bring that (debt) down,” Koch said. “You can only do that when you are back in the black. The first step is becoming cash-flow positive.

“We have a plan — get back in the black and then start chipping away at our debt.

“Now we are on track. We’ve made a profit. In the next few years we can make a serious dent on our debt.”

Koch inherited, by AFL decree, the Port Adelaide Football Club presidency in October 2012 after the Brett Duncanson administration became worn down by its fight to restructure the Power licence away from SANFL control and the failing stadium deal at Football Park.

Koch acknowledges former Port Adelaide chief executive Mark Haysman’s courageous campaign to take the Power — and AFL football — from West Lakes to the new Adelaide Oval has saved his club.

“A good stadium deal underpins the financial sustainability of a football club,” Koch said. “And Adelaide Oval is a sensational winner for us. It is a resounding success. It has underpinned our financial performances.”

Port Adelaide banked a $4.5m uplift in revenue at the Oval last season when compared to Football Park figures. This will increase to $6.5m this year.

Also significant in Port Adelaide’s financial statements is the club’s decision to report profit after depreciation — and not before as other AFL do. The pre-depreciation profit figure at Alberton is near $1 million, highlighting the positive turnaround in the business.

The Adelaide Football Club will declare its financial position — with a profit from a challenging Season 2015 — at its annual meeting on February 24.

Thanks for sharing, Dutchy. Makes things pretty clear.
by valleys07
Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Denis Cometti Retiring

Is there a single play-by-play guys that is universally liked? Or at least universally tolerated?

Tim Lane maybe? David Wildy? Do we really have to plumb the depths of radio to find a caller that everyone doesnt hate?

Bruce used to be that guy but he hasn't been great in the past few years. Though having said that I think he is much better on the tennis these days than the footy

One that was universally liked in Clinton Grybas, sadly is no longer here..
by valleys07
Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2016 PAFC Preview- Part 1:

Reflecting upon what has been (in my opinion) a fairly underwhelming cricket season, I find myself seriously hanging for some footy action 8 days out from the beginning of the NAB challenge. Footy season is sweeping over me like a fever. AFL Prospectus adorns my desk at work as I scour page by page looking for that Supercoach point of difference and Fox Footy adverts have the hair raising on the back of my neck in anticipation. Black, white and teal blood is now pulsating through my veins, I am overcome with excitement (and large amounts of anxiousness) at what lies ahead for the Port Adelaide Football Club in season 2016.

Hawthorn’s immortal achievement of 2015 cannot simply be put down to them being “unbeatable”. We saw a truly unbelievable football club win their 3rd successive premiership the hard way, and becoming undeniably the greatest club since the game’s national expansion, winning their 5th premiership, but first- let’s take a step back to 2011. That season, Champion Data declared Geelong incapable of winning the 2011 premiership due to the amount of players over 29 on their list. Too old, too slow, “how old is too old”? Well, prospectus ended up with egg on their face, and since that premiership- the premier team has an age ranking of second, third, fifth and fourth, not to mention Hawthorn’s premiership team was the oldest premiership team in terms of first 22 selected, in the history of the game! A slow start to their season, compounded with injuries saw them chalk up 6 wins from the first 11 rounds and battle for their spot in the top 4. The dynasty was supposedly over after West Coast demolished them in the Qualifying Final, but similarly to Brisbane in 2003, champion teams rise when their backs are against the wall, and the cream rose to the top on Grand Final day. Hawthorn have the experience on the books heading into 2016 with quality on every line, but I’ll put my balls on the line- they won’t win 4. Their time is up. But it begs the question- how long does a group need to spend together to get the experience required to go all the way? Is Port Adelaide’s window beginning to open now?

Season 2015 for Port Adelaide was a stark reminder of how fickle the game of football can be, and how even the slightest hint of complacency can send you spiralling back down to the rest of the competitions “hopefuls”, and spending another off season dreaming of accomplishing the games pinnacle. A little over 12 months ago Port Adelaide was football’s feel good story, seemingly set to complete the transition from complete and utter basket case to premiers. We had pushed the eventual premiers to the brink in a classic preliminary final, enjoyed a successful trade period securing our biggest name since Jay Schulz in 2009, in Paddy Ryder, and the media was in raptures over our exciting game style dubbing us the most exciting team in the competition to watch. Most had us top 2 certainties, Grand Finalists, and some had us Premiership favourite. So where did it all go wrong?
Stats don’t lie- the 2015 version of Port Adelaide were belted around the contest, ranking a disappointing 13th in clearances, and 12th for contested possessions- both well down on their numbers in 2014. Their ability to effectively move the footy had also fallen away, seeing Port average 8 fewer inside 50’s per game than their opposition (ranking 9th in total for I50 differential), and spending an average of three minutes less in their forward half than their opponents (ranking 7th in total for time in forward half). Port were ranked 13th and 12th in these 2 statistical areas after Round 8- where their season was arguably in tatters after losses to West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond. Port were clear #1 in these categories in 2014. Our inefficient ball movement saw us rank 6th in the competition for points scored (91 ppg) and 8th in the competition for points conceded (85 ppg)- well below the competitions benchmark of Hawthorn with a 103/71 for/against average. Certainly well outside of Kingy’s “recipe for success” it seems.
'
Certainly for me, a thorough look over Port Adelaide’s numbers from season 2015 (as per Champion Data), reveals some horror home truths. Our skills were shocking, we were smashed around the contest, and our team defence which had held us in such good stead throughout 2014, was picked apart ruthlessly by our opposition once we turned the footy over. In particular- the following numbers stood out for me:

• Port ranked 10th in the competition for scores for from turnovers ( 48.8 ), compared to Hawthorn’s #1 ranking of 66.9. We also averaged a goal per game more than Hawthorn for score conceded from turnovers. Hawthorn control the footy as well as any team in the modern game, Port at present are not at the level required.
• Our team defence was shocking once we turned the footy over, or lost contested possession at a stoppage. We conceded almost 6 goals a game from opposition attacking midfielders and conceded 6 goals per game from clearances. Bassett will be a massive inclusion in fixing this area.
• Phil Walsh’s groundball stat. Mock it if you wish but the crows remarkably improved their scoring due to winning the ground ball. The crows finished 2nd in the comp for F50 groundball differential behind Hawthorn courtesy of the work of Betts/Cameron and Breust/Rioli. Port ranked a disappointing 16th for F50 groundball differential, with Port seemingly a “one trick pony” with Wingard as their only damaging small on the score sheet after Robbie Gray spent more time upfield in season 2015- not to mention that opposition teams had structured up by getting numbers back in defence to easily outnumber Port inside their forward 50, resulting in easy rebound 50’s once the ball hit the deck. We were also unable to control the damage caused by opposition smalls, ranking 15th in D50 groundball differential.
• Time in forward half. When we did manage to win the footy and work it forward, opposition teams had structured themselves perfectly to get numbers back to either take a mark, or smash Port once the ball hit the deck and rebound from their defensive 50. Port ranked 11th in the competition for marks inside 50, 16th for F50 groundball diff, and 14th for % of scores per inside 50 (45%). In conjunction with our contested ball differential, the loss of Polec in my opinion, contributed significantly to the speed of ball movement into our forward 50. He will be a massive inclusion for us come 2016.

Whilst Port Adelaide came home strong in the backend of 2015, winning 9 from their last 14, the damage had been done. So the question is, are they better than last year’s results suggest? Was last year the real Port Adelaide, or dare I say this- is there a hidden Port Adelaide underneath, ready to leapfrog the competition ala. Geelong of 2007?

Champion data suggests there are similarities in the progression of both sides. The cats took to the 1999 and 2001 drafts and unearthed the nucleus of their 2007, 2009 and 2011 premiership teams- Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Cameron Ling, Corey Enright, Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Steve Johnson and Gary Ablett. WOW! The cats looked primed to take the competition by storm in the mid 2000’s. They fell 2 kicks short of the 2004 GF after leading at 3 quarter time, lost the 2005 semi-final to the eventual premiers before finishing 10th in 2006. It forced an entire club review, with Mark Thompson only just managing to keep his job heading into season 2007….even 5 games into 2007 and Geelong were 2-3. As they say, the rest is history. Port Adelaide have climbed from deep darkness to get to this point. The 2006 draft netted Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and Justin Westhoff, in 2008 it netted Hamish Hartlett, Matthew Broadbent and Jackson Trengove, with Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines the cream of the first round crop being secured from the 2011 and 2012 abyss years. In total- Port Adelaide has 13 first round selections on its main list, what I understand to be the most of any list in the AFL (happy to be corrected on that stat). In saying this- the same comparison was made between Geelong and Carlton before the 2013 season begun. Carlton had obviously had access to the cream of the 2005, 2006 and 2007 drafts and had made 3 consecutive finals series between 2009-2011, before missing out in 2012 finishing 10th. Whilst it can be argued that Carlton made the finals in 2013 (by default only, courtesy of Essendon’s Poor Governance sanctions), two seasons later and we all know how that chapter ended. Port Adelaide managed to overcome eventual premiers in Hawthorn twice in 2015, but lost to Brisbane and Carlton. Where do they fit in? When will the real Port Adelaide show itself?
by valleys07
Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Whoa, ease up there LM.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
I couldn't give a toss how hot any of my mates missus' are, they are no go zones, together or not together anymore.

Reading a David Schwarz article on the matter explained a fair bit of it, I must say that I admired Sam Newman's self appraisal on the matter.
What did Sam say?

Along the lines of he is the last person who should be handing out life advice and hopefully from a professional perspective, the situation can be resolved soon as both are integral to the running of the show.
by valleys07
Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAFooty Lobster League 2016

Q. wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Any spots left, Q?

Yep

No worries.

I'll join today and transfer the coin tomorrow.

Cheers.
by valleys07
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |