Search found 381 matches

Return

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

I think the Power is making a mistake by badging its reserves team as the Magpies. The whole problem with identity (in my opinion) stemmed from moving away from the Magpies creed and starting up the new Power ethos and hoping everyone would forget they hated the Magpies and suddenly become Power fans overnight. As we know, this didn't happen, they simply alienated some of the Magpie community and lost out

Then the club tried to bring the Magpie creed back in, all that "One Club" crap, while at the same slowly strangling the Magpie club to death, taking them out of the SANFL board, making them a subsidiary, treating them like a retarded cousin. Now they have well and truly knifed the Magpie club, but are trying to say all is alive and well at Magpie land in some sort of "Weekend at Bernie's" nightmare charade.

The PAFC should just put the Magpie name to rest, honour its history and be the Power in both the AFL and SANFL. It keeps marketing and colours consistent and ends the which club is which and who's on first and all that crap we've been hearing for years.

I hate seeing the Magpies dead, but they are, so stop stuffing about and just promote the Power like you want to...
by csbowes
Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Isn't it just a name change from Magpies to Power? The guernsey will change but it wont be the first time in Port Adelaide's history that the colours of their guernsey has changed
Essendon were the 'Dons before being known as the Bombers.
Fitzroy went from being known as the Maroons to the Gorillas to the Lions before amalgamating with Brisbane.
Richmond were the Wasps prior to being known as the Tigers.
Yes the Magpies might be dead but the Port Adelaide Footy Club will live on, and isn't that who people support?
Nah, I used to think that till proven wrong. The PAFC changed their name to the PAMFC so a new entity "the power" could use their business name.
The PAMFC is virtually dead and buried now by its own artificial creation, its a bit like Battlestar Galactica with the Cylons created by the humans all but wiping the makers out.
Or Frankenstein to a degree too.
by Wedgie
Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Same port, new port, old port, blue port.

Who gives a flying fig which port.

Bottom line is the team running around in the magpies livery from 2014 is not a sovereign SANFL club. The sooner it pisses off to a competition which more befits its nature (taking its cross-town cousin with it), the better.
by Pseudo
Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

But these players aren't getting in on a talent basis. They're going to be getting league games to fill some holes in the AFL Reserves sides. Sure some of them might be okay league footballers, but they're obviously not the best on offer; their payments reflect this. Either way, they're not getting picked on talent.

This is why it would have been much better if the AFL Reserves teams were in the SANFL Reserves. Nobody would mind if hacks were getting games there. I know the SANFL isn't what it was pre-1990, but that doesn't justify giving players league games who haven't earned them. This is what people meant when they were talking about 'integrity'.

The SANFL shouldn't be a development league - that should be for the U/18s or Reserves. In my mind, as soon as it becomes about development, or 'giving guys a chance' at league level, the SANFL loses its integrity. These things are not consistent with winning at all costs.
by RB
Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But these players aren't getting in on a talent basis. They're going to be getting league games to fill some holes in the AFL Reserves sides. Sure some of them might be okay league footballers, but they're obviously not the best on offer; their payments reflect this. Either way, they're not getting picked on talent.

This is why it would have been much better if the AFL Reserves teams were in the SANFL Reserves . Nobody would mind if hacks were getting games there. I know the SANFL isn't what it was pre-1990, but that doesn't justify giving players league games who haven't earned them. This is what people meant when they were talking about 'integrity'.

The SANFL shouldn't be a development league - that should be for the U/18s or Reserves. In my mind, as soon as it becomes about development, or 'giving guys a chance' at league level, the SANFL loses its integrity. These things are not consistent with winning at all costs.

Would've been the sane option, to protect the integrity of league football, and, to give the Crows essentially what they were after. But of course, under the brinkmanship of Trigg, it was a case, allegedly, of knicking off to the SAAFL instead of accepting the Reserves option!

I've got no time for the plastic Adelaide Football Club and what it represents, but even less for some of their supporters who abandoned the SANFL when the circus came to town. They know who they are. They should hang their heads in shame.
by Ronnie
Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

it IS a development league
Your opinion.
this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.
Because they are at that standard. To pick them for the SANFL when they aren't up to that standard is what destroys the integrity of the league.

It is the arrogance of people like you who assert that, because the SANFL is not as good as the AFL talent-wise, it is okay for the AFL clubs to use it for their own ends, and in general take a dump on it, that really infuriates SANFL fans.
by RB
Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

it IS a development league
Your opinion.
this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.
Because they are at that standard. To pick them for the SANFL when they aren't up to that standard is what destroys the integrity of the league.

It is the arrogance of people like you who assert that, because the SANFL is not as good as the AFL talent-wise, it is okay for the AFL clubs to use it for their own ends, and in general take a dump on it, that really infuriates SANFL fans.

Nice one RB i agree. You have to earn a spot at a sanfl club, Not get gifted one because of injury to a senior afl player. The player from the country or wherever isnt up to the reqired league standard then gets badly injured what happens to him then?
It shouldnt be a development league!
Most SANFL club members pay to watch and support their clubs with passion, because it isnt the same game as the robotic, over officiated afl.
Now we have to put up with playing meaningless games against 2 teams that are not there for the same reason as the established clubs.
Players now risk injury (which could impact on their working life) in these meaningless games.
People like you BM have endorsed the SANFL as a meat market for the big show. Hope you are proud of yourself.
by tigerpie
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

... I would guess, are the same people who walked away from the SANFL in 1991.
by csbowes
Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote: it IS a development league, .

South, Norwood, West etc pick their strongest 21 to win a league match with the premiership their ultimate aim, not to develop players for a higher level.
by saintal
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not having a crack at anybody in particular, but what argument will it be? One minute the 2 AFL sides wont give a rats toss about winning, but another post highlights the supposed advantage both will have. But both can be true. The Sydney Swans reserves, for example, have a mammoth advantage in facilities, coaches, and (in the context of the NSW/ACT comp) talent over their competitors. So much so that the comp administrators have had to game the system with caps on AFL-listed players etc, in order to minimise the lopsided results. But at the same time, Belconnen FC and their ilk will bust a gut to win a game or get the premiership—doing so is the principal reason for their existence. Whereas for the Swans reserves, winning a flag in Canberra is nice, but it isn't the be-all and end-all as long as the kids develop and learn the game plan.

The mandatory leave period under the AFLPA's enterprise bargaining agreement is just one of the reasons why AFL reserves sides tend to tail off in the finals—the sooner you can get your kids off the park and on holidays, the sooner you can start pre-season training for next year.

Either way port and adelaide will be critiqued regardless of ladder position.
They'll be critiqued regardless of ladder position quite validly. The Crows reserves finishing top, bottom or in the middle in 2014 won't validate the decision. Because the valid criticism isn't "they'll be way too strong for this comp", or "they'll be way too weak for this comp". It's, "they don't belong in this comp at all—it is a SA state football league for clubs to pit their best players against each other. They are not a SA state football league club, and they are not pitting their best players against their opponents". The situation with Port is a bit more complex in 2014, but by 2015 they will have fully adopted the 'soulless franchise reserves team' model, and so will be equally undeserving of a spot in the comp.
by SimonH
Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Precious few people would support an SANFL team with undiluted passion and still have the time/passion to follow an AFL team with equal fervour. Those people exist but they're a tiny blip on the landscape. Certainly no one with work and/or family commitments.
I'm talking about people who actually attend week in week out whatever the weather etc to support their team as well as participate in other ways.

It's almost always one team that takes priority over the other, even if most do profess a following of two teams in two different comps. For practical and emotional reasons it doesn't happen with equal commitment.
by Ronnie
Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port Adelaide MAGPIES reserve will have the best 18 years old's that didn't get drafted to the AFL. Do you really think that a 18 year old that still wants to have a crack at AFL will want to play for norwood over Port. Having access to everything at a AFL club versus only having access to everything at a SANFL club. Sorry, how will they have access to "everything at a AFL club" if they're playing for the "Port Adelaide MAGPIES reserve[s]"?

Anyway, let's go through it all very slowly now:
1. The 18yo kid who's played Norwood from U/16s and played U/18s last year, is good. Missed getting drafted, and maybe not SANFL league good yet, but certainly reserves good, and could be good enough to push for league selection depending on performances in the 2nds.
2. Norwood obviously don't want to let him go.
3. So the only way he ends up at the Magpies is if he walks, and if Port Adelaide (on the current system) pay a transfer fee.
4. So, will he walk?
5. On the plus side, he gets a lot of talk about playing at an AFL club, having access to an AFL club's facilities, joining an 'academy' and playing for an 'academy team' ('cos that sounds so much more prestigious than joining a reserves squad and playing reserves), and living the dream of having a crack at AFL.
6. On the minus side:
• He will be training and playing with the 3rd tier group at the PAFC, and that fact will effectively be locked in for the whole year; he will be with the 2nd tier group at Norwood, and can instantly be promoted to the top tier if performances warrant it
• He is (barring an improbable run of injuries to the AFL list and the SANFL top-up list) guaranteed not to get a SANFL league game at PAFC. There are about 37 players guaranteed a SANFL league game before him (44 on AFL list + 15 league top-up - 22 AFL players picked each week). That's a massive whack of injuries required before he's even a theoretical chance; whereas Norwood can pick him for his SANFL league debut the minute he earns his spot
• Playing SANFL reserves won't get him on an AFL list. For someone who's already been passed over once, playing well at SANFL reserves level isn't going to impress AFL talent scouts. Every mature-aged draftee from SA I can think of, got the nod by playing stand-out footy at SANFL league level
• He is (if PAFC follow the rules) prohibited from being paid more than $100 per game by the PAFC because he's stuck in the SANFL reserves all year, whereas at Norwood if he earns a league debut, then within the SANFL salary cap Norwood can pay him whatever they like
• He has to leave behind his mates and club he's grown up with, which is a greater-than-usual pull if your home club is successful and the club you're thinking of transferring to, isn't
• The talk of 'if you wanna live the dream of playing AFL, your chances are better if you come to an AFL club' is an obvious crock. If they're interested in persuading him to stay, Norwood can point out to him: "Look at the number of players drafted and rookied from Norwood over the last 5 years, as compared with those wearing a prison bar guernsey."

There may well be the odd decent 18yo who requests to transfer over to Port Adelaide for a range of reasons, including that they buy the hype—in addition to the ex-U/18 castoffs who will make up the bulk of the 'academy'. People do irrational things all of the time, young people even more so.

But good luck with the claim that "the best 18 year olds that didn't get drafted to the AFL" will be lining up en masse to leave behind their SANFL club and train with the 3rd tier group at a bones-of-its-arse AFL club, in order to grasp the prize of not playing SANFL league footy and therefore not attracting the interest of AFL talent scouts.
by SimonH
Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the funny thing about this situation is how everyone is still here. If it was that bad and you had been so screwed over like your all carrying on about, then you wouldn't be here, you would of walked away by now. So either walk away or get over it. It's done and won't be change.

Time to invoke Godwin's Law...

By the early 1940s, many denizens of Western Europe had walked away from the situation - i.e. fled before the Panzer divisions rolled over the bridge.

Some who stayed accepted the situation and made the best of it. Consider Marshal Pétain and the collaborationist Vichy Republic.

Some stayed but resisted the occupation.

Likewise many will stay here - but don't expect them to express anything but vitriol for the occupation, the occupiers, and the collaborators.
Vive le SANFL! Vive la Résistance!
by Pseudo
Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Okay here's a scenario Ken Hinkley is selecting his team for round 1 but doesn't select Jasper Pittard to play in the league team, ken says to Jasper you will be playing in the reserves team this week.

So the question is which team will Jasper be playing in? who gives a rat, he could say "you're playing for the magpies" or "you're playing in the SANFL". All that matters is he is not playing in the main game, same as anyone not picked for their clubs A grade

Exactly playing in reserves, seconds, b grade but not the league team!
by Panther Pack
Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumours of Player Movement Discussions for 2014

I could care very little who plays for the Crows in their reserves side but the poorer the players who play there the happier I will be. It will show how stupid Brenton Sanderson was/is for leading the charge to change an ADVANTAGE the Crows had into an absolute joke where their fringe players are playing along side shit players and are learning NOTHING from the players around them.
Ask Mitch Grigg and Nathan Brown how much they learned and improved at Norwood with quality players around them and assisting them. Ditto similar players at all other SANFL clubs.
Example : Taylor Walker coming back from injury makes position and leads as his poorly skilled team mate kicks it over his head or into the grandstand
by SDK
Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Give it away Kickit you are just making a foll of yourself !!!!!

haha, i'm just agreeing with you that the SANFL is a reserve's competition. But if you want call it a reserves competition then you have to take it back to when it allowed AFL reserve players to play, which is 1991. You make the choice is it or isn't it a reserves competition.

Ummmm I think people are saying its a reserve comp now because we have a reserves teams in the comp now.

The reason we have a reserves team is because two teams have its firsts in the AFL and it's reserves, left overs, spares, replacements in its second side.

How is the Crows SANFL side a reserves side but the Powers SANFL side is not
by whufc
Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

kickinit wrote:so that would mean it has been a reserves competition since 1991 then?

No because the Magpies only became a AFL reserves side this year
by Jim05
Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eric 2014

From a former Eagles Member's perspective:

1. No members were given a vote - Slavin made the decision
2. When challenged (he actually sought me out before our 'Club Meeting') his response was "The Supporters will get used to it & in time, those who leave will all come back eventually" - I know one supporter at least who won't!
3. I have not renewed my Membership - my son too is sad that we will not be 'hanging out' with our mates in the Barry Jarman Stand - this saddens me greatly but that is the price you pay for principle
4. I said all along that if the Club had allowed the Members to vote & the decision turned out in favour of the Cows Ressies in the SANFL (as Slavin himself suggested was the overwhelming view of the WWTFC Board), then I would still be a paid up member because at least they would've had the respect to put it to the vote - they didn't, so I am not

In terms of who is to blame?
The 7 Clubs that voted Yes - no question, but...
They were not alone:
Port were very clever THIS TIME around - they allowed the Cows to be the 'fall guy', smart move after the issues of 1990.
The Media - particularly the Commercial Media, played a huge part in this. 5AA eventually refused to even allow callers on their Footy Shows who were not in favour & who had valid arguments against the move, to be heard. Channel 9 tried to 'go in the back door' & they got 'left' with the Ammos. Channel 7 get both the Cows & PAPs Reserves on 7mate, every week - not sure how much coverage the rest of the Clubs will get - time will tell but me thinks very little over time.

Personally, I think Olsen & the Cows,Rob Chapman & Steven Trigg are the MOST to blame for this - they 'drove' the agenda of a Reserves Team in the League Competition & as we know they have acted with such 'integrity' & 'aplomb' over the past decade with all things AFC, haven't they? :roll:

Clearly, having AFL Reserves Teams in any competition, SANFL or otherwise is a tremendous boost for the 2 Franchises themselves & good luck to them, they managed to get what that wanted - as have The West Coast Eagles & Freo Dockers over the border.

Unfortunately, I think the 7 SANFL Club Chiefs failed to recognise that prior to 2014, young kids could have 2 x Teams to support - an AFL & an SANFL Club. Now the chances are that many will only have 1 - an AFL Team & their Reserves side. This must surely impact on the local SANFL Clubs from a merchandising aspect if nothing else, let alone attendances, catering, etc.

The question of whether or not to 'keep up the fight'? - The battle was lost & the Corporate Giant won. I would contend that they were always going to.
Whether or not one renewed one's Club Membership in 2014 or not is immaterial, really.
What concerns me is that we seem to want to 'eat our own' as a result of what individual decision we each made - surely, that alone provides the AFL juggernaught with it's ultimate desire - "divide & conquer".

I've said it before, but the happiest person in Australia must surely be Ross Oakley.
The last 2 legitimate competitions outside of the VFL/AFL are now compromised & it is only a matter of time before they become AFLWA & AFLSA.

I hate to say this (because the wounds of 1990 did cut very deep) but perhaps Max & the SANFL made the wrong decision by 'inventing' the Adelaide Football Club. Had Port & Norwood been the 2 teams to join the expanded VFL competition, we may well still have an 8 team SANFL Competition - who knows?

What can not be questioned however, is that the SANFL will never be the same as of 2014.

Some would argue (many on here have, particularly those who support Port) that the competition was compromised as of 1991 - perhaps that's true but if we continue to argue among ourselves about who is right & who is wrong - that's somewhat pointless, isn't it?

AFC & PAP are in the competition & I would suggest here to stay - can't see anything changing on that front, sorry UKFan :(
Either one accepts it & continues to support one's Club - or you don't.
But because you choose to & I choose not to, doesn't make you (or I) "Holly than Thou".
Personally, I've chosen to support the competition (by going to various grounds & paying an Entry Fee) rather than supporting the Club that failed to allow me a say in their decision. Doesn't make me better than anyone, just my preference.

An Anti-Cows CS would be fun though, don't you think? :lol:

Sorry, Rant over :oops:
by LPH
Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 1 - Eagles v Central @ Maughan Thiem (Sat 5/4)

Bounce of the ball wrote:The majority of us knew Central supporters will drop off when mediocre.

Started to drop off after the 8th GF in a row, still well in the dynasty though.
by wild dog
Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 1 LIVE scores

You blokes gotta get over it.

Yeah you are right, no room for people having a bit of banter on here anymore ;) yeah there's banter and then there's flogging a dead horse especially people like jim05 who support an afl club in Victoria with a reserves side in the VFL. I will admit or was weird today as a crows AFL supporter and a Roosters supporter. I was hoping north win but crows players like porplyzia, Lyons and Johnston get in form
The VFL comp was dead and buried years ago and basically a reserves comp now and thats where the 2 AFL sides should of gone. I dont want the SANFL turning into the VFL
by Jim05
Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

It's always a farce when a team with a salary cap of $10m plays a team with a salary cap about three per cent of that.
by RB
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

kickinit wrote:so the only teams to play in the SANFL since 1991 have been the crows and power?

Pleeeaaaasssse.... someone make him stop!
by Scrapboy
Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Central v Adelaide

One of the very few times in my life i was barracking for centrals and they let me down. I am depressed about what the sanfl has become now. It is ajoke and people that supportthe crows and power reserves are not real south australians.can somebody give me one good reason to keep following it?

I'm not south Australian because I follow a team that has been apart of this competition since day 1? Seriously my 10 year old niece doesn't even cry this much. You don't need a good reason to keep following, you need to walk away so the rest opus don't have to keep listening to you cry about it.
It's the first year of two full time professional teams playing in our league.
Watching yesterday's game I still can't understand how they're allowed to play in our league. The licenses are sold, we don't need them, though they may need us.

So how long do you think the SANFl would survive without AO? I'd give 3 years max. Face it the only thing that has kept the SANFL alive is the AFL.
SANFL are part owners of AO and allways will be, if you dont like it play at Alberton.
If it wasnt for the SANFL you wouldnt even still be in the AFL
by Jim05
Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Central v Adelaide

Ok, so 4 pages in and I still have no idea how the game panned out.... Any chance of a run down??

Who cares!!!! This is just compromised bullshit now. Centrals were playing a team full of vfl listed players. What type of competition is this?

Go have a look at the crows website on bigfooty and i'm sure they will give you a rundown of how thw crows ressies performed. As for centrals....well it doesn't really matter does ir? They have been reduced to irrelavance now. Sorry people for the negativity but we have to keep this real!
by passionatelegsfan
Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

bennymacca wrote:

to be honest though, the more people whinge like little girls on this forum, the more i am finding myself barracking for the crows to do well.

GO STATE TEAM CROWS! :D

You make me sick.
Get the Centrals logo off your profile.
by Kahuna
Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Another SANFL side the Eagles at the end of a 58 point belting by a multi million dollar AFL club however the competition is not COMPROMISED !!!!

Comment please Zip Zap Olsen, Triggy , SANFL board, Tripodi and the gang of SIX you have a lot of explaining to do !!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what us long time SANFL supporters thought might happen.

The nightmare has begun !!!!!

SANFL now is a joke a sham a farce
Waa waa

Not surprised your not fussed about a compromised competition.

COLA anyone!!!
:lol:

No it does bother me! But I've accepted it. Moved on and looked to the future! A national reserves comp would be better, but that's not happening!
But what has bothered me more is the carry on by people on this site are acting like little school children. Embarrassing to be honest.

Cola, please! Try something new....

And people like you that are willing to roll over and except it, wont change anything in the future. You added nothing to the subject with your waa waa comment, very mature, well done!
by Tech1
Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another SANFL side the Eagles at the end of a 58 point belting by a multi million dollar AFL club however the competition is not COMPROMISED !!!!

Comment please Zip Zap Olsen, Triggy , SANFL board, Tripodi and the gang of SIX you have a lot of explaining to do !!!!!!!!!!

A central supporter whinging about a team being to good. Are you worried they might make the next 12 grand finals and win 9 premierships
They were dominant but atleast they were on a level playing field
by Jim05
Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A central supporter whinging about a team being to good. Are you worried they might make the next 12 grand finals and win 9 premierships
They were dominant but atleast they were on a level playing field
Aren't the crows 1 and 2 this season??? Hardly a record of a side dominating
Didnt say they were dominating.
Centrals dominated the comp but did it with the same salary cap as the other clubs, they just were good at recruiting and had a great team.
by Jim05
Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

Here I was thinking this thread was going to discuss the Magpies and Eagles game.

Pretty sure every post match Magpies thread this season will be a waste of time.

Unfortunately so, and add any post match Crows thread as well. But I guess what else do you expect when your composite team smashes an amateur SANFL side.

Last week when the Power Reserves smashed Glenelg it was said by some that any side would have smashed them, they were so bad.
But this week your mob were playing the leagues' flag favorites and what was the stats again?? 34 scoring shots to 11.

Seems to me most true SANFL fans are right to be pissed off with what's happened.
by johntheclaret
Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

The thing is, even if the floggings inflicted by and on the reserves teams balance out, and they both finish mid table etc., that will in no way compensate for the fact that they are in the Sanfl.
by RB
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Now that the SANFL no longer hold the licenses of the two SA based AFL clubs what is the extent of the SANFL's obligation to these two clubs?
Is it the same obligation the SANFL has to Collingwood or Gold Coast? i.e None.

I am sure the SANFL would survive without the AFL teams, without the media, without any exposure, the clubs would simply adjust to live within their means.
For most people on here it wouldnt matter about the standard of the competition as long as it was still Centrals playing North or Glenelg playing South.
and there was the same rules for all and there was still a premiership at the end of the season.
It could be equivalent of Div 5 ammos for all i care i just want to see the dogs be given the same chance of winning the flag as the other 7 teams. The standard wouldnt fall away much as you must still play SANFL to be eligible for the draft thus keeping the comp strong.
by daysofourlives
Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can tell Port RESERVES is a different team to the 1870-2013 beenreal Port team

Has anyone noticed how quiet the Port RESERVES supPORTers are at the games thus so far in the 2014 new team?

NW V PR
Quietest game Ive been to for NW against a team with Port in its name

PR V GL
Bayman said despite PR winning easy , it was basically emotionless

WWT V PR
I was there for this game
Extremely quiet crowd wise
I think I yelled out more than any PR supPORTer in the vicinity

This is my point

The beenreal traditional Port supPORTers 1870-2013 used to thrive on BIG wins of the last 2 weeks
Some would be unbearable
You know the old forget the rest we are the f...g best mentality
The there are 2 types of supPORTers , those that barrack for Port, and those that wish they did

At this very early stage the Port RESERVES barrackers are very very quiet , prob embarrassed of this 2 week dominance

And it shows in the Keith Thomas article , he is also downplaying his teams recent successes

Agree 100%. It is a whole different bunch of supporters. I think Power and Crows reserves supporters need a big screen to tell them when to cheer. Unfortunately its out with the old and in with the new.
by Blackwhite
Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK, whinge time ... how about actually reporting on the match Scott Walsh? ... disgraceful

Birthday boy Taylor Walker kicks three goals in strong return, despite Adelaide’s 37-point loss to Glenelg
SCOTT WALSH THE ADVERTISER APRIL 25, 2014 11:06PM

THE knee’s good, the hands still work and the goalkicking boot, well, it’s as trusty as ever.

Taylor Walker’s return to football passed with flying colours last night as the Adelaide forward booted three goals for the Crows’ reserves against Glenelg in an extended comeback that lasted until midway through the final term at Gliderol Stadium.

The only thing missing in Adelaide’s 37-point loss to the Tigers was singing the song - but, under the watchful eye of coach Brenton Sanderson and virtually the entire Adelaide playing list and football department, Walker’s comeback was never about competition points.

It was about getting through.

And the Broken Hill boy, on his 24th birthday, ticked every possible box despite unexpected drizzle that lasted most of the game.

The final tally was 12 disposals, 10 of them kicks, for 3.3 with six marks, a tackle and three inside-50s.

Playing without a brace or any strapping on the rebuilt right knee he injured 363 days earlier, Walker was strong and certain on his feet.

The star forward played with total confidence as he kicked a goal in the opening quarter and two more when the Crows mounted a third-term charge.

It took just seven minutes for Walker to announce he was officially back. His first major came on a breaking lead that he marked and converted from 40m.

He missed another set shot eight minutes later but soon passed a major test when he gathered, stopped, changed direction and snapped on his left boot.

The shot missed, but the knee held tight.

There were a few scares - Walker almost ran head-first into the Adelaide dugout after marking inside the boundary line, then sent Glenelg players flying like tenpins at another marking contest on the wing.

Having played more time than the half most had expected, Walker was eventually put on ice in the final term when the game was beyond Adelaide’s reach
by dedja
Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Port v West - Post Game

Went to the game today, what a joke the SANFL has become.
To expect West to compete against the Power is embarrassing really.
AND why is the Port Magpies song played after a win.....
They don't exist anymore.......
I don't get it......
To our President..........
This is what you voted for!!!!!
Absolute joke!!!!!!
For what it's worth, I thought I guys battled hard all day!!
by Wolf Pack
Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Or Option 5: boot Port out of the SANFL
by dedja
Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

Not sure how often one needs to say that one doesn't want EITHER of them in the competition :?
by LPH
Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

matt35 wrote:On the other points above, there's a hell of a lot more chance of kids embracing the SANFL if it has some connection to the AFL clubs.

Only a Crowtard could post something so laughably no clue.
by topsywaldron
Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores Round 10

$14 at the gate is insane.

Get it back to $10 or even $8 ... might be a short term shortfall but it will benefit long term.

Possibly the clubs could work with the SANFL to introduce 3 or 5 game memberships, say at $25 and $35.
by dedja
Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I mean seriously, how dare the media cater for the majority of South Australian Football fans who happen to support Adelaide or Port Adelaide, what a crazy idea that is!

Any chance the "majority of SA Football fans" could turn up to support their team? That's what they all wanted remember?

While I expected things to pan out the way they have, if these glorified trial games were at least giving the SANFL good 4k average crowds (as promised) with good atmosphere, providing non SANFL people a good day out and reasons to return as well as making $ to the established clubs, then I could be turned to support, in a small way, the new era of SANFL.

However this has not happened, the product is worse, the crowds are worse, the clubs cannot be financially better off (reporting time at the end of the year will be very interesting) and the league has lost a lot of core fans who have now found something else to do on the weekends.

The clubs/administrators thought they spent some time on this in 2013, I imagine this years off season will be worse, trying to unravel the mistakes, if it is retrievable.
by Dutchy
Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did start writing this in the Sturt vs Port thread, but quickly realised it was a big whinge...

Another game decided by the ridiculous advantages Port have been given with the top ups. How can Nathan Krakouer be allowed to play as a top up. Age 26, 2 AFL clubs, not a Port junior.

Sturt did well. I was hoping for a win for them. Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that the Power Reserves will be one of the Grand Finalists this year. You could have hid the mess under the carpet, for this season at least, if Port and Adelaide were mid-table or below, but season 2014 (and beyond if they don't change it) will have a massive asterisk next to it as a wasted season because winning or losing against the AFL clubs means absolutely nothing.

This is worse than Lance Armstrong and the drugs in Le Tour de France. At least the majority of riders were on the same thing back then. This SANFL season has been recommended and ratified by the SANFL Commission and its League Directors.

I will admit I was very wrong in giving this a go and LPH, Centurion, smac, whufc and co were spot on from the start. It doesn't feel right going to the football any more.

I don't care about Channel 7. I don't care about high priced recruits. I don't care about being the 2nd best competition. I don't care about the full time staff behind the scenes. I care about a level playing field and my team competing in a competition with integrity. There is simply no integrity while AFL Reserves teams are competing in the SANFL.

I think it was premature writing the SANFL off as what it was and extremely incompetent by those who made the decision to ignore/dismiss the guiding principles when coming to the decision to allow the change.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood FC statement

Of course he isn't. Arnfield was well known for it too.
by Grahaml
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood FC statement

The topic of runners spending too much time on field or 'coaching' on field is a farce! How are they interrupting play at all? It doesn't affect anyone if the runner is out there delivering messages.. Remember who the runner is delivering messages from, the COACH.. So how can anyone say that runners 'coaching' is against any law or spirit of the game, he is only delivering what the coach tells him, which is often coaching instruction.. It really shouldn't be an issue since BOTH sides have runners, so its not disadvantaging anyone..
It's not a farce mate as some stay out on the ground and coach as the game goes on, not delivering messages from the coach and it is happening with some more than others. Some runners and trainers have even been used to "fill space" on grounds too. The SANFL had to even bring in a rule that all trainers weren't allowed inside the 50 metre arc when the ball is kicked out after a point.
by Wedgie
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

My preference is to go back to 2013. I have said this a few times. Thus would be a better standard than the current setup.
by stan
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

We can't compromise on this, there is only 1 solution, kick them out......and if we go arse up, well we were going to anyway BUT I'd rather go arse up under our terms, not theirs.
NO AFL IN THE SANFL!!
by CENTURION
Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

Should have been a draw
The Frampton non free kick appeared to be a very poor decision
Frampton would have almost certainly scored a goal with about 30 seconds left
No, the only poor decision was by the clubs that voted YES. Port wouldn't even be in finals if it weren't for them. They don't deserve any success they get.
by cennals05
Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magellan wrote:
Wedgie wrote:No glamour teams + AFL in the SANFL = poor crowds

I'd hate to think what the actual crowd is now for the second match.

Eagles v West GF would be a nightmare for the SANFL coffers. Need Centrals to get the numbers half respectable
by Jim05
Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grand Final Entertainment

Apachebulldog wrote:If the Dogs make the Granny their supporters will be the entertainment.

Nah, I think my mate at the pub who got $50 on the Dogs at 100/1 two weeks ago will be the entertainment!
by Wedgie
Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

to everyone complaining about the non-free in the last 10 seconds.

to me this is a square up from the goodrem non free from a very similar position in the 3rd quarter when he was wrapped up and dragged down from behind by his opponent prohibiting goodrem a clean run and jump at the ball.
by rubbers0ul
Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |