Search found 165 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

I think this is a bit hard to cop with Brahma Lodge electing to stay down. In my opinion the club had built its successful years based upon recruiting players from other clubs with there money and having a couple of successful seasons.

Did the club recruit guys who would stay around the club in the long haul or just jump ship when more money was offered?

Did the club build a culture where the players want to stay at the club no matter what money was thrown around by others?

Now Brahma Lodge are in the same position of many other clubs in the area who don't have the money to pay the same amount as Brahma had done in the past and are asking to stay down?

Is it a right to have a successful season each year or do you have to take the pain to make the successful seasons feel better.

I think Brahma should be made to stay up and feel the pain that a lot of other clubs have felt in the past.
by The Informer
Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Credit to you Groover for coming out and giving your own opinion on the situation when it differs from that of your club.

FWIW, Brahma won't be the only side that's been uncompetitive in Division 3, we had a year in 2006 when we won one game by a kick, and lost by 15+ goals eight times during the year. I also remember beating Rosewater by 34 goals in Round 1 of Division 4 in 2007 and none of their guys ever looked they were going to give it away, and they ended up winning a couple of games towards the back end of the year when it got wet and some other sides had some injuries.

The other line about getting more injuries in a non-competitive game is a complete myth IMO, I'm fairly sure more guys get injured playing games on a Saturday then they do at training with slight contact. An absolute non-issue.

It's an unfortunate situation for BL, but they did pay out money to get a percentage of these guys to their club (and a lot of others obviously had a loyalty to Payney, which is a sign of his quality as a coach), so they shouldn't be all that surprised when they move on for even more money or becazuse they still want to play under Payney.

Sorry BL, as bad as you'll think you'll be, you should suck it up, cop it for 12 months like every other club has at some point, and have a go at Div 4 in 2015 when you've had another off-season to try and re-invigorate your list.
by Pag
Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Country Division

Have heard same thing knb could make cambrai biggest spending club must have struck oil or something also heard the cu boys may not be up to the level
by 2old2slow
Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

it appears that the Lodge aren't the only ones being bent over by country clubs. Looks like the Pooraka ruckman has been offered some big $$ to head out to Long Plains?

Yep, this is correct Long Plains always seem to have a reasonable purse, Good luck to both of them..

This him?

Pooraka Adelaide Plains Football League Lovell, Peter Pending 2014-02-12

that is our ruckmen $$$$$ plus a sign on bonus $$$$$

You Sir have no idea. Nobody at United has or will ever be paid a sign on bonus.
by Mythical Creature
Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

I think you'll find that there will be a distinct lack of sympathy for Brahma Lodge this year from most clubs in Div 4.

Not saying that everyone doesn't understand the circumstances it just that some how I don't think you'll find too many Clubs that don't think they brought this on themselves and deserve a few Saturdays on the rough end.
by The Rooster
Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Young coaches.

Yes young coaches can be successfull, age shouldn't be a factor or barrier if the person is capable of doing the job.
by Phantom Gossiper
Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

How are West Croydon and Blackfriars looking? I heard WC has picked up J Harding?
Hasn't had his knee op yet so unlikely.

is that the jarod harding who played for WSFC and was at GWS before that?

Drove past West Croydon last night I would say very close to 40 on the track fair numbers.

"Drove past"
Spend a lot of time on Hanson Rd? ;)
by The Ash Man
Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bombers4EVA wrote:But isn't Mitchell Park looking at going to 1 team this year? Where did they finish last year? I thought Rosewater would be given the option to go up as they finished third.

Oh dear.........the new boy will have to learn the forum's sarcasm
by X Runna
Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

S Demon wrote:Because the results mean absolutely nothing

So your telling me you get nothing out of a trial game, sorry we're all not like you but I'm sure 80% of teams would keep score to see we're they are at!!!
by great catch
Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was just over at IKEA and spotter what looked a lot like Ian Henderson buying a new cupboard and it was huge! Surely he isn't getting another club shirt, Hoodie and jumper?????
by carey
Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:Oh come on, the only way that anyone will get within 10 goals of Smithfield is if it snows on a Saturday afternoon!

or someone gets suspended and they lose a bunch of premiership points ;)
by Q.
Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's a myth in my opinion that more and more blokes head to the country. 15-20 years ago country SA comps like Riverland, Western Border, Spencer Gulf and GSFL were chic full of imports and the standard (on a scale) was outstanding. Those comps were on par with many red hot Victorian Country comps. Now they wouldn't get close to them

The cash in the country dried up. There would be far less imports there now even if you wiped points completely.

The thing is that most country comps have a scale for points. The top teams get 6,7, points and the bottom teams get 15. That's where the $$$$ become an issue. A club sitting on the bottom has sponsors/supporters etc who have had a good season in the fields or in the winery etc, etc then decide to chuck in the bucks and go out and get what they want. 6 or 7 gun recruits at 3 pts max is 18 or 21. Then if they have 5 good Senior Colts they get minus 1 point each for them. Bingo your in business and can rest a gun each week. How much you pay them is irrelevant because their is no salary restrictions. Unfortunately the kids end up sitting on the pine or rotating with each other. Those handful of guns DO actually make a big difference though. So we will continue to lose good players to the country because of that reason. Not saying it's right or wrong but just sayin'.
by Yank Man
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There are some people who bail at the first sign of adversity. Seems there's a lot of blokes like this these days.
by Q.
Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So how is North Pines looking?

Who did they play in their trial games and how did they go?

There was a a bit of early banter about them having a huge turn around this year and pushing the top sides.

Going by their 'Ins" on Sporting Pulse, they are in for a ripper.......

my sarcasm detector exploded
by Q.
Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Q. wrote:What's holding ML back from implementing juniors? Manpower?

Pooraka..... :?
by Mr Beefy
Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

from the bounce..

http://www.saafl.asn.au/uploads/News/pd ... l_2014.pdf

the guy who wrote the piece on rosewater in the div 6 write up must be on crack..how can you get it that wrong? finger on the pulse..
by zedman
Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bombers4EVA wrote:Its just interesting that you should know who I am to be able to know which grade my brother is lining up in. Very interesting me thinks. :-k :-?

Wow
by carey
Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Kilburn by 50 plus, Brahma by 30 plus, Mitchell Pk by 20 plus, Flinders Uni by 20 plus and Angle Vale by 30 plus. Not a good look in my opinion. Good luck to the clubs for giving it a go but you just wonder what it's going to be like come winter and injuries kick in. :(
by Yank Man
Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

I am looking forward to the end of season piss up already
by Johno6
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flash Poll - Which grade do you think Kilburn should be

Div 3 - They made their bed, let them lie in it.

Glenunga a few years ago were losing by 40 goals in both divs (with some players having to play two games, just to ensure both teams played), they dropped divs and were relegated regularly and rebuilt. Teams shouldn't be gifted a way around a few years of pain just to allow them to rebuild quicker
by TheAussieBogan
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bombers4EVA wrote:Round 5 is looking to be the most exciting round of the year. ;) Phantom

Correct, we have a band playing at the club on the Saturday night, should be a great night, cant wait.. 8)
by Phantom Gossiper
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amateur League have to now step in, this is a lose lose situation for everyone concerned, the sides playing Kilburn are getting nothing apart from % out of games. I hate to see sides with so much history go under but this has to be addressed.

As for the comments re a Aldinga Sharks/Kilburn game prior to an AFL game, totally disagree with it, put some Div 1 sides on show so the public can see that there is decent footy being played out there
by locky801
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a load of shit the last 3 pages are. The system won't change get over it :roll:
by carey
Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol Stadium (Sat 17/5

Groucho wrote:How bad are we? Can't even beat the bottom side. :evil:

Gees, I'm glad footy forums weren't around in the 70's and 80's in seasons that the Dogs struggled. I'd hate to see what Groucho was like back then...
by Big Phil
Sat May 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

B4E a little birdie has told me u can change your club allegiance now and can start commenting on another club?

Hope it all goes well playing at your new club now mate and leave it to us to comment on what is actually happening at Mawson Lakes lol

Can you Mawson Lakes blokes keep your internal in-house bickering in private please?

;) :lol:

Sorry did we stop speaking about you 412th comeback?
by The Informer
Fri May 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Go easy on em Arch they go alright! Lol :D
by carey
Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lockleys over Rosewater by a couple of points?? Didnt see that coming. Rosewater having a mid season slump. Mawsons unfortunately going down to Fitzroy. Hope they can bet some of their injured back and get some wins in the second half.

Lockleys have a very young side at the moment with a handful of players only in their 1st or 2nd year of footy so there's only room for improvement. Very enthusiastic, united and play for their mates which will beat a team put together by $$ more times than not. Still have a couple to come back in and have another who has just signed on the dotted line.

In regards to the game it was a cracker and played in good spirit with only a couple of cheap shots to the lockleys players. Would of been nice if their C and B grade didn't leave 88 beer cans over by the scoreboard aswell.
by shobtop1
Sun May 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

good meals at the club attracts players
by Robb_Stark
Mon May 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All those in favor of bringing Phantom back just click the like button.
by Yank Man
Mon May 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some clubs pay people and its sustainable, some clubs don't and its sustainable. some clubs pay people and it isn't sustainable. some clubs don't pay and it isn't sustainable.

At the end of the day its up to committee of the club to work out how best to run their club. Each club in the league faces its own unique challenges and deciding whether or not to pay players is only one.
by WOS Dragons
Mon May 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Out of curiosity, whom on here owns their own bar, as in, when you buy a beer, where and to whom does that money go, and along a similar vein, who staffs the bar, volunteers or paid workers?
We have a paid bar manager and all profits go to the club. Ditto, and along with the 12 months revenue we get the 12 months expenses which can be quite a burden during the slow months
by Mr Beefy
Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Miss me? :D
image.jpg
by Phantom Gossiper
Tue May 27, 2014 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Homer J wrote:Mawson Lakes loose by 6 goals, Carey was average, still got in the best players.

Wow Homer J side splitting Comedy there champ I was average no doubt they say a weeks a long time in footy geez don't I know that! credit to Uren beat me hands down. Good bloke to
by carey
Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Because the div 6 footy folk are your everyday nice guys unlike your higher grade folk who believe their feces don't stink!

I think I'd much rather steal a chip with my jumper inside out whilst pulling myself on the bus than be looked down upon! :lol:

Div 6 folk Rock!
by carey
Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Players may be divided on byes, but I reckon volunteers love a week off ;)
by Q.
Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bombers4EVA wrote:A bit quiet on here lately.....

Ssshhhhh, we're having a bye. :(
by old farmer
Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rosies up by about 9 goals to united, but today was one of the worst umpiring displays ive seen this year for both sides..
I think centrals woukd think the same

Your not wrong rosewater were way to big and strong for us, but we have had the same peanut for the last 3 games.. spoils a good afternoon trying guess what trick big trevor will pull out next.
He's not still getting around surely, big Trev is a shocker, always was and always will be, he was useless 10 years ago..
by old fullback
Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Danky$$ wrote:Think he kicked 5 on ya last year Carey.

What did he only stand me for a 1/4? :lol:
by carey
Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Think he kicked 5 on ya last year Carey.

For what it's worth I didn't stand him anyway!

But his a good lad and can play a bit. He just can't train can he? Hope the lad gets a go. No, he can train, one of the more reliable trainers. I reckon in his first year he never missed a single training session.

If Rosie's don't want him Central United will certainly take him. Will save him buying different colored shorts and socks! ;)
by carey
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great win by houton over uni. are all the uni boys in brazil? :)

feeling for smosh boys, 30 goal loss. sure they chose to come to div 7 (if not forced too) but 50 blokes again just want a kick and a catch on a saturday arvo made to play highly tuned paid agraders. what a ridiculous competition :)

seeing wingfield kick 8 goals a great sign must have won a lot of footy contests on the day so keep rising royals

was told uni had 8 out.

Give credit where credit is due!!!

We played a good game!!!!

If uni cant cover 8 players being out when they have about 200 play for their club and 3 sides below their c's to pull players up from their must be something wrong.

When we have 8 players out it's a different story!!! We are a small club with limited numbers
And lets face what team doesnt have 8 players out this time of year!!!!

Just an aside here; it's somebody from Hope Valley who has said about Uni having 8 out; nobody from Uni has said this or used it as an excuse.
Houghton won against the side Uni had on the ground that's all they can do.
by finn
Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Phil Hall back to Central United.
by Phantom Gossiper
Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We will be fine we have got rid of the 18's our a grade have been we'll behaved all year and that will continue along with the b's! I'll say again we WILL be fine
by great catch
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I volunteer to work forty hours a week. And get paid for it.
by Q.
Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can we start a Mawson Lakes thread so these guys can sort internal affairs over there?

It's seriously taking away from the usual quality standard of the div 6 thread! ;)
by the milky bar kid
Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
marbles wrote:frikken goodwood sandbaggers!

Wouldn't have happened if marbles super C grade was around back then lol

FFS PG, now we have to go through another 3 weeks of irrelevant bullsh*t............
by X Runna
Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On another note, there really needs to some base level standard and testing of umpires regardless of the level.

One at CU v Lockleus was good, the blonde haired bloke but the other umpire was horrendous! Walked around all day, constantly a long way from the contest, some very unusual or suspect calls and he even had the audacity to over rule the other umpire on a couple of occasions! He was an embarrassment!
by Phantom Gossiper
Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That goes for all clubs as well who have worked hard to change a negative outside perception - Smithfield, Central United, Mitchell Park etc.. how about you front up, play against them and judge them then instead of judging them on a reputation and when you probably haven't seen any of the clubs operate in how ever many seasons.
by Phantom Gossiper
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On the way up?? Does 1 good year really say much for the recent years. NO it doesn't..
When did anyone from Ingle Farm claim we were "on the way up"? We are no different to every other club in every other division just striving to be competitive and push to climb the grades and play at the best level we possibly can as a club. What so now there's some barbs coming back your way, everyone should worry about their own back yards and look forward rather than the past.

Read the post that started all this ya d*ckhead.
Not saying that at all geez how thick are you?! Surprised you can work a computer, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed :roll:
by Phantom Gossiper
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

and what exactly does the evil empire have to do with D6?

I might close this thread. you all dribble copious amounts of excrement.
by Footy Chick
Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Could be a quiet day at Lockleys this Saturday. With the C's meant to be playing Hectorville and the A's & B's playing Angle Vale and all those sides forfeiting last weekend, it doesn't look good for our home triple-header.
Same with Ingle Farm on weekend...
A Grade forfeit against Angle Vale
B Grade forfeit against Angle Vale
C Grade forfeit against Hectorville
U18 forfeit against Smithfield

Not a great weekend. Hopefuly your boys get a game this weekend!

Must have been a massive pain in the arse re bar/canteen takings. At least you didn't miss out on A Grade home games I guess.

EDIT (I'm not without sympathy to the plight of Angle Vale it's just that well organised clubs will budget for those takings and the unforeseeable missing of games can impact the bottom line)

Sadly the loss of income doesn't only equate to home clubs, we would normally have 100+ people at presentation & still 30 there at 10:00pm, the club wasn't even open Saturday night......
by X Runna
Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |