Search found 1 match

Return

Re: CDFC 2021

I can understand doggie’s fan’s frustrations as from an outsider it looked like your team was building nicely last year but appears to have slightly regressed this year.

There’s a number of different opinions on here from dogs supporters who know far more about your team than I but from my own observations it does appear to be related to playing depth. I think players like the Schillers, Hoskin, Fort, Habel, Presbury and Grace are as good as any going around. Someone like Montgomery would probably be in this list but he seems to have been injured all year? And Leek is going to develop into a very good player for your club if he isn’t drafted. But then the talent drops right away. Given at least a couple of the above players would have been injured or suspended at any point in time it’s easy to see why it was a tough year.

I’m sure Thomas is fully aware of what the club needs to do but it will be interesting to see how he goes about it. From the outside looking in club needs a class onballer, a reliable ruckman who can take a grab around the game. a tall key forward and a tall defender as it’s most pressing needs. Then it needs to retain the entire group listed above and just put as many games as it can into whoever is the most talented individuals in your juniors. It will be a 2-3 year process but success can come faster than some expect.

I don’t reckon your club should target ex-AFL players unless they originally from your club and want to return. Too often they turn out to be expensive duds. It does feel like the best recruits to the SANFL competition in recent years are those players from other State Leagues who are in their early-mid 20s and have already played a few years at senior level.

Although $$ can play a factor in getting a player to a club I think it is only one tool at their disposal. It is well know that that getting a player a job is critical but relationships play another huge role. Connections to the club who are based interstate can be instrumental in pushing a player in your direction. Does the club stay in touch with ex-players and officials who might be able to assist? What about existing players? Does someone like Aidan Grace have any footy mates over in Tasmania from his old club that he can entice over?
by Mr Fuller
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |