Search found 19 matches

Return

Re: Zones in football

There are not enough curses in any language for the originator of this idea.
May their goats get mange.
by finn
Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Great win by houton over uni. are all the uni boys in brazil? :)

feeling for smosh boys, 30 goal loss. sure they chose to come to div 7 (if not forced too) but 50 blokes again just want a kick and a catch on a saturday arvo made to play highly tuned paid agraders. what a ridiculous competition :)

seeing wingfield kick 8 goals a great sign must have won a lot of footy contests on the day so keep rising royals

was told uni had 8 out.

Give credit where credit is due!!!

We played a good game!!!!

If uni cant cover 8 players being out when they have about 200 play for their club and 3 sides below their c's to pull players up from their must be something wrong.

When we have 8 players out it's a different story!!! We are a small club with limited numbers
And lets face what team doesnt have 8 players out this time of year!!!!

Just an aside here; it's somebody from Hope Valley who has said about Uni having 8 out; nobody from Uni has said this or used it as an excuse.
Houghton won against the side Uni had on the ground that's all they can do.
by finn
Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

500 games

Congratulations to Darren "The Jerk"" Graetz who plays his 500th senior game for the AUFC this Saturday in division C3 (the scum) versus Pulteney old scholars at University Oval.
May well kick his 1400th goal as well.
This is an awesome achievement and it's been a pleasure to have been involved with many of them.
by finn
Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Can sum1 explain why the Div 8 grand finalist are not in this division or are they gonna be when it's finalised
Because div 8 was setup as a nominal grade for those clubs that had c and d grades so that these sides could play at the same grounds hence reducing volunteer pressure. It was never planned as a feeder grade for div 7 which is aimed at becoming a majority a grade competition. This doesn't stop clubs nominating their c grade into div 7 should they wish to but preference should be given to those clubs wishing to field a and b grade sides.
by finn
Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Exactly what I said before finn. Why not put SW in with us?

Because why should D7 be where one team clubs have their year of grace?
Div 7 is the grade where the lowest a grade sides play. My understanding of the c1-4 divisions is that they are so named as they contain c grade sides of higher grade teams.
My belief is that the lowest majority a grade division is where the one year's grace should be served to reflect the fact that the club involved is still fielding an a grade side.
by finn
Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Times to sing the club song on the oval:
1 - you have to sing it on the oval when the following side is still in the change rooms
2 - after winning grand finals (or finals possibly)
3 - when the opposition supporters have been so shitehouse that you want to show your pride in your club (contentious and possibly antagonistic)

I'm all for singing the club song on your home ground as it reinforces the fact that this your piece of turf (ta Cyrus from the Warriors) and if another club sings their song, I hope like hell it sticks in my guys' craw.
by finn
Sun May 17, 2015 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

I generally try to select 23 rather than 25 if possible. I think 23 is decent in that it allows extras to play but doesn't make the coaches job ridiculous. I also believe that the a grade divisions (div 7 and up) should select 22 each.
by finn
Sun May 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C1 - season 2015

well what a thrilling start to the season, after 5 rounds the top 5 sides are all sitting on 4 wins & 1 loss

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-114-0-336322-0&pool=1&a=LADDER

an amazing situation and C1 is certainly rolling out to be the most exciting division across the C9AFL so far

*Evidently Adelaide Uni won with a kick on the siren, but sustained a serious injury to the 2014 C1 Medalist #6 Callum Rohde. It may be interesting to hear a report/run down from that game.
*SHOC were a different team back at Home after being smashed by the Blacks last week. This week on their Main Oval the young College Boys dominated Goodwood Saints for 4 quarters, running out deserved 39 point winners. Personally I think SHOC have a real asset with their "Big Man" in the middle.
*ROCS kept in touch with the 5, with a comfortable win over Districts.
*Athelstone continue to win and very comfortably on Saturday, "Raggies" are the Real Deal!
*It would be interesting to hear about the Henley v SPOC match a lot closer than many would have expected.

Not sure what it is about Walkerville but they match up well on this version of the Blacks; the last three games has seen a draw, and under a goal win to either side. They certainly had better cattle than earlier in the season. We probably took it a bit easy and I know we can play better and they've a few forwards that are difficult in any one on one contest. Walkerville at Walkerville will not be easy.
Rohdey got run through as he was beginning to take off for a lead, blindsided is probably the best description. The guy certainly meant to knock him over but I doubt he meant to break his jaw.
I think this week will see all five sides go to 5 and 1 and those upcoming clashes between the top 5 will go all over the place depending on where the games are played as much as anything.
That's on top of our bog in the first two games tearing his hamstring off the bone and a few broken bones. Sometimes footy sucks.

Genuinely sad to hear about Callum Rohde, quality opponent on the field and I understand a very nice guy off the field. Yeah injuries suck!
I hope it doesn't stop him returning to footy and his recovery is straight forward - we want see him out there again soon.

Genuinely top shelf guy. And possibly the state's scariest looking primary school teacher.
by finn
Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Young coaches.

Not sure if it counts bu I coached a winning Div 8 team at 22 way back in 1990. It was our 4th side that year.
by finn
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst excuse for missing a game

"I can't play because I'm still tripping."
by finn
Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 C Grades thread - general discussion

Salisbury Nth C1 train Wednesday nights. It is clear every other side trains with there A's and B's (More so B's at a guess) some very well drilled sides in C1, The standard has massively surprised me.
Uni's c1 side trains with the div 7 side on Thursdays and with all lower grades earlier in the week.

Wow finns back thought youd still be in yatla mate
Day release has added benefits though...the top four or five teams could beat each other on any given day. All have a fair whack of talent in them.
by finn
Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 C Grades thread - general discussion

have no idea about that to be honest, if they were put higher and requested lower then it was a poor decision by the league. They do have form in the c and d grade in doing that in the past.

I think that at the least if your a div 1 club and you have the numbers then you should be in C1 as a minimum and then D grade a few grades down. Really they are the only team that's out of place in the comp imo.v

With regards to the first part, it's why TTG should have been told to play where initially placed which I believe was div 7 or c1. C2 and c4 seem to reflect last year's div 8 rather than the better sides there being placed in c1 then another grade. The upper end of c1 is a good standard and, from what I've seen this year, TTG would hold their own in it. For our club, our sixth side went from playing c grade sides of Div 2 and below clubs in c2 to trying to compete with c grade sides of div 1 teams like TTG and PAOC; from the above it seems North Haven requested to not do the same.

Next year it appears that div 7 won't hold any c grade sides so I'd expect another rejig of the grades with c1 holding the best c grade sides regardless of the desire of teams to play together, then c 2 to have the next rung and so on. I'd expect c4 to reflect, as much as possible, c1 and c5 to reflect c2 accordingly. Hopefully these gradings will also reflect the higher grades of those clubs too.

Certainly the desire of the SAAFL is to have grades of similar ilk so that games are competitive across the board. This also will help people to stay interested in the whole season rather than consistent floggings.

Personally I think the standard of the c grades has improved over the last 5 years and the League and clubs themselves have done an excellent job in getting rid of those people more interested in hitting others making it also a much more enjoyable pastime as well. The only problem I have is the staggered start of the lower grades; we've got our c grade playing finals in div 7 while the c1 and c3 sides are still playing minor rounds while the c5 is finished. For a club that does a club wide Super Sunday/Mad Monday its hard to organise a day that fits.

Good luck to all playing finals or finishing their 2016 season in the next few weeks. (Unless of course you're playing c1 in which case I hope you play well but the Blacks triumph)
by finn
Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 2 2016

Saw something today at the SHOC v SCOTCH game that caused much debate in my talking circles. Behind was scored and the ball went on an angle and bounced back in to play. The bloke kicking out picks the ball up and whilst running back to the goal square does an innocent chip to himself....

In the rules of the game is that a ball up?

Also is it a free kick in the SAAFL of a ball is punched through the sticks on the full as a rushed behind from a ball up?
No free in the SAAFL

Well I'll be ******! Rulebook gave us a free (and goal) for that last year.....

Should have bought a lotto ticket after.
Surprised he didn't sell you a raffle ticket at the time.
by finn
Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 5, 2016

Smiffies A's and B's at separate grounds next week,what a headache.. To top it off,when our B's finish up at Daly oval we are obviously are gonna head to saint Domenic's oval,say 50 odd vehicles but were the hell is everyone gonna park?
Organise a coach I reckon. Good day can be had by all.
Yeah good call,problem solved. 8)

I know in the season itself, the League have delayed the later game to enable supporters and volunteers to move from game to game.
I remember about three or four years ago, when Smithfield were in C1, we coached out there and stayed for several hours post game. They then did the reverse ar our home game and drank the pop up bar dry.
by finn
Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL DIvision 4 2016

We're coming across to the SAAFL next year but I've been reading the SAAFL forums for several years and it seems some of you blokes care far too much about B grade success and flags. Not much use making a B grade grand final if your A grade get relegated.
#ParklandsFooty ;)
Nah man, nobody actually gives a **** about B grade flags
Aside from those who play...and coach...and volunteer for them. ;)
by finn
Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Given the current rules state that clubs have to forfeit from their bottom grade, I can't see why they're dropping what is essentially their c/d grade. I would tried to maintain sides in 7 and 7 res and drop the bottom side. It also seems remarkably quick; two weeks in and done. What's to stop clubs doing this then getting players back and dominating grades? It also skews the results in all grades eg the Reds lost by 100+ points in round 1 but will play other teams with a stronger side. I understand the reasoning but think that swaps shouldn't occur until a complete round of matches (9 in a ten team comp, 8 in a 9 team comp etc) has occurred.
Unfortunately it appears other sides in c4 may also be teetering and the AFL wasn't so keen on reducing c1 to a 7 team comp.
In the long term, it appears that the League is in a position with not too many winners. I'm not sure how to solve this dilemma but the League can't also reward these clubs with easier gradings when they've nominated others. At uni we get players doubling up and access older players to ensure numbers are filled; I hope that princes have pushed hard internally and through their alumni to try to fill their nominated teams.
by finn
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

finn, help me out.

Before the game I said to our coach that the Southern end of your ground always has more goals kicked than the North, to the point that when I was coaching I played a +1 at that end to start with. The term I used is it almost works like a funnel. Pop it up and the ball seems to fly though much easier.

I was unmercifully mocked and laughed at. There were even sarcastic cries of "use the funnel!" from the sideline on occasions.

Is this your experience? Tell me I am not crazy.

Please note this will be used as evidence to support my argument.
I think that the pockets (especially the grandstand side) give you a bigger look at the goals than the Northern end. A rough trawl through the memory banks agrees with you; then the side I'm involved with always seems to kick more goals at the Northern end. It also seems to be shorter at that end even though the centre circle is half way.
Now that the drainage is much better the surface is generally excellent.
by finn
Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Think you'll find it's their average losing margin - Bad luck that their first two games were against the competition leaders.
by finn
Mon May 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Congrats to Wayne King on his 300th game for The Blacks in c1 tomorrow. One of about 6 or so players do achieve this in the club's 110 year history.

As the song the club sings about him " what were his parents thinking?" However
by finn
Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |