Search found 8 matches

Return

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

First of all, the PAFC haven't "adopted" the 2015 model, they've had it forced upon them. But in 2015 they'll still have a club structure consisting of an AFL side, an SANFL League side, an SANFL Reserves side and a junior academy to enhance the development of young footballers. 1. You sign up or you don't sign up. PAFC aggressively drove the 'we want an AFL seconds team in the SANFL' agenda, signed on the dotted line pretty much instantly once terms were set out, and then some PAFC people want to claim 'oh, but we only agreed to the rules of an AFL seconds team because we had a gun to our heads'!? Talk about trying to have it both ways.

2. You'll be an AFL franchise invading a comp that you don't belong to. There will be no continuous pathway for talented young Port supporters to play for Port from juniors. Quite the opposite—it'll be prohibited. The 'junior academy' is window-dressing nonsense. The AFL (outside of the 'development states' NSW and Qld) bans AFL clubs from entering into direct coaching arrangements with U/18 players. It's treated as draft tampering. The quality U/18 players will be attached to one of the continuing 8 SANFL clubs anyway. So, the Port 'academy' will be limited to players over 18, who've been overlooked at the AFL draft and rookie draft, and if they were good enough to play U/18 SANFL comp in the first place, who have been released or transferred from their SANFL club (e.g. because they're not good enough to make that team's SANFL reserves side). Having no juniors, the Power will busily go around filling up its SANFL reserves squad with the cast-offs from the superannuated U/18s of real SANFL clubs, plus the odd country over-18 who's never played in the city. The 'junior academy', and the 'academy team' are a fancy way of saying that you will train your SANFL reserves squad. Whoop-de-do.
by SimonH
Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

I really missed something when the whole Crow Mania took hold.

Maybe because being a kid living in a housing trust house in Elizabeth while the old man worked two jobs to take care of me and him that we didnt have the time nor money to follow the Crows.

I couldn't understand why someone would want to jump off a team they had so passionately supported for years to support a team of players that I had disliked as opposition players for years in a comp I only had a passing interest in. I never got it.

Throw in the fact you would only ever get to see your new side every second week and it made no sense to me.

Geez I was in the minority
by whufc
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

read that article today, quite interesting.

although there was talk on this forum of crowds being well down, i also found it interesting that the average crowds are actually up on last years average so far. obviously remains to be seen whether that continues

Once again very selective information.

Off course the crowds are up on last years averages, we have barely had a drop of rain and all teams hopes are high.

History shows once we hit the winter months the drop off is fairly large and we start to get crowds of just over 1k.

Also there is no bye now, which teams had the bye in round 1 and 2 last year.
by whufc
Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "The Scoreboard tells the Truth" with Michael Aish

I think more likely Michael trying to give something back and make people aware of cancer at the same time raising money.
It says question and answer so I suppose his answers will be based on the questions he gets.
Looks like you have been smoking that stuff again Sleeping Giant to make a stupid statement like that when a man is doing a public service for a good cause.
by SDK
Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

And I would contend that I would not have gone to the centrals crows game this year had I not had a free ticket.
And there it is in the proverbial nutshell, folks. The SANFL has sacrificed attendance and membership from dyed in the wool long term fans who would put their money behind their convictions, only to attract bludging freeloaders like our compatriot beenymacca here. Let them abuse first-order statistical measures as much as they like; nobody is being fooled.
by Pseudo
Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Brad Gotch Departs Panthers

Really sad to see Brad leaving the club but the reason is totally understandable. Genuine pressure on Gary Hocking to continue the success that Gotchie bought to club and with the potential loss of Eddy and Irra to AFL and Crossy not yet committed to 2017 it could be even harder. However if Gary Hocking can really coach we will find out soon enough, personally i think he can and will prove a a great asset to SAFC and the SANFL.
by darley16
Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows 2018

Id suggest they will stay at West Lakes, make $4m a year, pocket the cash and move when they are financially stable to do so, they know how good their wicket is at the moment.
by Dutchy
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

If the AFL dropped the 2 lowest paid players off each list, that would save about $3m and the state league’s could maintain their very modest salary caps. Or, heaven forbid, the top paid players could empty their pockets of some loose change.

It seems the SANFL league competition gets whacked constantly from all angles.

Not counting finals, a salary cap of $210,000 is an average of $530 per game for only the 22 league players that play.

That is a disgrace, given the commitments outside of game day required.

In cricket, it took the Players Association to see the need for some money to go back to those that participate in the next level below professionals. The same couldn’t be said for the AFL Players Association or the AFL itself. Despite Covid, they are still selfish and money hungry with no vision beyond the top level.

The SANFL administration NEVER stand up for the league competition. They are all just in it for a job or payday for themselves. Some may see it as a stepping stone to a higher off field position in football.
by Aerie
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |