Search found 315 matches

Return

Re: SANFL Round 4

On a more positive note, after a meagre 15 wins over the past 5 years (but who's counting..) South U18s sit atop the ladder after the opening month. May be finally attracting/retaining some decent teenagers. No doubt some will soon be filling some gaps in our pretty ordinary ressies team.
by saintal
Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 5

Summerton has been/is a very good SANFL footballer. Certainly one of the most consistent over the past decade. 200 games is a great achievement.

Having said that, In honor of his 200th somebody should post his infamous anti-Power tirade. For sentimental purposes..
by saintal
Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 5

Goal Kickers: B. Haren 3, S. Overall 2, N. Liddle, N. Schwarz, A. Hunter, C. Fairlie, D. Bass, J. Mc Mahon, X. Gotch, R. Barnes
Best Players: N. Schwarz, X. Gotch, B. Haren, N. Liddle, M. Rose, A. Hunter

Workman-like win. Nothing too flashy, except for a quick 4 goal burst in the third term that proved pivotal. Dull game in the first half but opened up after the break.

North's skills are deplorable. Darrou named their best against his former club.

4-1 heading into the bye has probably exceeded preseason expectations.
by saintal
Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Falling Attendances

The Crows and the Power have not been the magic bullet everyone imagined.

Bone obviously had his head in the sand (or elsewhere..) during 2013. Nothing but a well trained Crows Media Puppet back in his 5AAFL days.
by saintal
Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 6

South kicked the first 6 goals at Elizabeth and were never threatened. The lead shot out to about 9 goals in the last before the Dogs added a few late.

Played some very good football in patches today. Worked much harder than the Dogs and cut them up through the middle of the ground. Also had the better of the aerial battles. Liked the games of some of the 'lesser lights'- Ellison, Heaslip, Taylor, Hunter etc. Joel Cross uncharacteristically quiet with 9 touches.

Dogs are the worst team I've seen so far this year, and the crowd was the smallest I've been apart of at Elizabeth. Problems at the Ponderosa.
by saintal
Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Booney wrote:
MatteeG wrote:Can I take the time to thank Gozu for his ongoing updates on this thread.

He is this sites 'Rip it Up'. Thanks man!

Yep, second that. Appreciate the updates Gozu, means I'm looking out for tickets ASAP.

Yep, I'm another who appreciates the updates Gozu :rock: :rock:
by saintal
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

Enjoyed the Nick Dal Santo episode. I think he summed up his career pretty well at the start and the perception supporters held of him. Far too much time was spent on the photo ‘incident’ though. WGAF..

Was watching on youtube and replayed the 'Milne Bounce' half a dozen times. I'm a masochist. :?
by saintal
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 14

Time to flick on 5AA?
by saintal
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 15

Will start working on his references at 1/4 time. In strife.
by saintal
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

Spargo wrote:Does "bottoming out" mean finishing bottom 4 for only 1 season, or multiple years in a row?

Multiple imo. 2-3 years minimum.
by saintal
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Play Eddy!
by saintal
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Two weeks for a decent tackle, I guess that is where the game has ended up..

In other news, Nick Riewoldt to hang up the boots at season's end. Has been a privilege to watch all but a handful of his 333 games. Champion.
by saintal
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:Hughesy needs to get of tv. Least funniest comedian around

I only drifted in and out of the show and most times when Hughes spoke there was an awkwardness that followed.

Flick him and also Bec
by saintal
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17

saintal wrote:Eagles starting their late season decline much earlier in 2017?

:oops:
by saintal
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kenneth McGregor AFL team of the year 2017

Jack Lonie from the Saints.
by saintal
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Very strong Port Power Reserves team on paper for tomorrow. Combined salaries would be worth a bit. Farce. Perhaps it is time for Sturt to suffer a finals drubbing at the hands of the Pros.

Fingers crossed the Dogs can win it, but dont hold great hope.
by saintal
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 3

Full credit to Pyke and Adelaide.

"Crow Mania" to reach heights never seen before. Going to be a long week. :shock:
by saintal
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which Chocolate?

Milk, Dark, White in that order.
by saintal
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Grand Final : Adelaide v Richmond

Wow, what a result. Tigers were magnificent, Crows so very poor. This Simpsons skit springs to mind at times like these:

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S03E03/584999.jpg?b64lines=IE5vLCBJIGRvIG5vdCBrbm93IHdoYXQKICJTY2hhZGVuZnJldWRlIiBpcy4KIFBsZWFzZSB0ZWxsIG1lIGJlY2F1c2UKIEknbSBkeWluZyB0byBrbm93Lg==
by saintal
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fuel @ The Gov 3/12/17 :D :D

Unexpected.

Were my favourite band through high school so will be a nostalgic evening. Was too young to get into Heaven the only time they visited Adelaide, now I'm counting the grey hairs. 8)

Admittedly it’s a very different line-up to that era, but Puppet Strings from a couple of years back wasn’t bad as far as straight forward rock albums go.
by saintal
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

A couple of OUTS for the Panthers.

Peter Rolfe and Roland Ah Chee have both hung up their injury prone SANFL boots.

Have singed with Kym Cobb at Scotch OC in the SAAFL competition.

Rolfey was one of my favourite Panthers to watch over the past decade. While he played just over 100 games, countless injuries prevented him from doubling that figure. Kicked some magnificent running goals over his time and was a great clubman.

Ah Chee hardly sighted in the seniors since 2013.
by saintal
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

A month into the TVCA season:

Paracombe (4-0)- Appear to have picked up a couple of handy recruits, top order making plenty of runs
Lenswood (3-0)- Bowling a lot better than last year, top order making runs
Gumeracha (3-1)- No B Grade side this year which leaves their A’s little unsettled. Still have some very handy contributors.
Mt Torrens (2-2)- If they can field their best side will be very competitive, especially with the ball

Palmer (1-2)- Slow start for the reigning champs but no cause for concern
Cambrai (1-3)- Have missed arguably 3 of their 4 most important players in the early stages of this season and its showed
Rose Park (1-2)- Difficult to get a read on where they sit, inconsistent start for the new-comers
Eden Valley (1-2)- Opening round win followed by a couple of one-sided losses. Lacking depth.
Birdwood (0-4)- Reasonably competitive but still searching for an elusive win
by saintal
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see a few TVCA clubs fielding junior teams. Cambrai, Brdwood, Lenswood and Mt Pleasant/Springton all have Under 12 teams in the Alexandra & Eastern competition while Gumeracha has an Under 14 team.

It is encouraging to see some of those teams have juniors, but I don't understand this, if encouraging juniors and parents to cricket on a Saturday morning is a problem, with the distances between these towns and AECHA (except for Woodside and Lobey). Unless Gum is all 14 yo, I don't understand why there is not a TVCA comp, and you could probably find enough other 12-13 yo's to make a sixth team. I don't see the great difference between u/12 and u/14 in a country cricket sense - I played u/16 when I was 7, then 8 playing u/15, and when finally got an u/13 comp was still only 10, seniors at 11.

Where are Paracombe at with there juniors? They have generally always had strong numbers.

It’s a fair question. From a Lenswood point of view, we like the stability that being associated with AEHCA brings. We know that every year there will a viable competition for all age groups. Previous to this we were always waiting til the last minute for TVCA clubs to nominate junior sides and then were left in a comp with no more than 2 or 3 opposition sides.

AEHCA are good with their programming, with U12s for example split into North and South regions. So at worst a TVCA club will travel to Hahndorf or Nairne, and vise-versa. The shift from traditional U10s to T20Blast has been the only real headache since we’ve joined AEHCA- as discussed earlier.

Gum haven’t had U12s for a few years, so presumably their U14s team is too advanced/old for U12s.

Paracombe haven’t had juniors for the past 2 or 3 years. A club rep remarked last season that the 'kids are there', but finding a coach/parent to organise is the battle.

Like you I started my cricket as an 8 or 9yo playing U14s as we didn’t have any other sides. This was the norm, but now is the exception. I also think kids are more willing to play elsewhere in order to find a suitable age-group (ie Lobey or Woodside in our case)
by saintal
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Caught Fuel ar the Gov last night, good show. Figured they weren't overly popular over here, but was stunned at the lack of numbers in attendance. No lineups at the toilets or bar - Easily the smallest crowd I've ever seen there.

Also went and really enjoyed it. Was great hearing Sunburn in full- was the first album I purchased as a teenager so very sentimental. Minor gripe- 2 or 3 more songs would have been good, quite a short setlist.

I actually thought the turn out was reasonable for a band that hasn't been relevant for 15+ years and only had 2 albums that received any real attention. Have seen smaller crowds there for international bands.
by saintal
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Imagine the buzz of a Div 2 flag.

by saintal
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TVCA to play HCA in tomorrow's final.

TVCA finished just 1 run ahead of MTCA, while HCA pipped AEHCA by 4 runs.
by saintal
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Roy Laird on the 'gimmick' that is the Fast Footy concept, while also pointing out the lack of marketing for the season proper. Yet again it's difficult to disagree with much of what he has to say-

CENTRAL District coach Roy Laird has labelled the SANFL’s new “Fast Footy” pre-season competition a pointless “gimmick” after his club rejected an invite to participate.

The Bulldogs will be the only team to miss next weekend’s tournament at Norwood Oval – which will feature 12 players on the field for 10-minute quarters – and are instead focusing on their pre-season.

The SANFL is offering $20,000 as prizemoney, including $10,000 to the winner, $5,000 to the runner-up and $2,500 each for third and fourth place.

Seven-time premiership coach Laird did not see the benefit of his side playing in it and said the money spent on the competition would be better spent on promoting the home-and-away season.

“Between players, medical staff, officials, to cut into people’s time – the sport is already demanding enough,” Laird said.

“We just thought with that, the fact that it’s a gimmick product and teams aren’t going to play their best players at this time of year because of injury, what’s the point?

“It’s 12-a-side, from a footy game plan point of view there is little to be gained.
Laird believes the money could be better spent elsewhere by the SANFL.

“Then you run the risk of injury and in a controlled environment in training we think we can control that better, so it (Fast Footy) is of little interest to us.

“My concern is the main season and I don’t think there’s good enough marketing being put towards it in favour of gimmick products.

“The International Rules with the best players in the country could only attract half a stadium so I don’t see this doing anything to attract new supporters and that is what our competition has got to be about at this stage.”
Norwood's Ed Smart lays a tackle on Central's Travis Schiller during last season’s elimination final. Picture: Tom Huntley

Fast Footy will feature unlimited interchanges, a last-touch out-of-bounds rule and kick-ins after every score, including goals.

Teams will play two games each – on Friday, February 9 and Saturday, February 10 – before winners advance to semi-finals and then a grand final.

Central chief executive Kris Grant said when the SANFL informed him about Fast Footy in December, the club had already committed to a pre-season program, but he would not elaborate on what those plans were.

“This Fast Footy thing was a rather quick decision by the SANFL and we had already committed to some preseason plans, which we had to commit money to,” Grant said.

“There’s mixed views (about Fast Footy) but we would look at it on an annual basis.”

The SANFL has been contacted for comment.
by saintal
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2017/18

Brodlach wrote:What feed did Channel 7 have?

NBC

Great game and result.
by saintal
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Failed Creation wrote:

Has prompted me to give Infinity a spin, not an album I listen to often. A bit of a mixed bag, but Wild Colonial Boy and Noisy Pink Bubbles are among my fav Devy tracks.
by saintal
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TVCA Semis:

Paracombe 8/194 def Palmer 176
Lenswood Ranges 7/230 def Cambrai 229

So it'll be Paracombe v Lenswood at Birdwood next weekend. The Pirates won back-to-back flags in 2011/12 and 2012/13, while Lenswood last tasted A Grade success in 1996/97.

Was a great finish at Lenswood yesterday. In my many years of playing I can only recall us chasing down 200+ on a very small number of occasions. So to do it in a final was pretty special. Need a lift with the ball this weekend though.

In a rematch of last year's B Grade final, Birdwood will play Cambrai at Palmer.
by saintal
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Songs that remind you of stuff.

Ah, way too many to list, the power of music to drag you back to a time in your life can’t be underestimated. A few that come to mind..

Smashing Pumpkins- Stand Inside your love. My wife, who I met through music, and our wedding day.
Metallica- The Unforgiven. University times. Missed opportunities.
Fuel- Shimmer. High school times, growing up.
Soul Asylum- Runaway Train. Primary school times, growing up.
Sigur Ros- Untitled #4. Ups and downs.
Fear of Flying- Park for May (album). Local Band. Young Love.
Pain of Salvation- In the Passing Light of Day (album). Released the day we put our dog down. Album about life and death.
by saintal
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:Coupla things I found interesting on AFL 360 last night:

4. Lehmo - Seriously has this bloke ever been funny or even anything other than annoying??

Went ok in an ABC series called Utopia, albeit played a character with a very limited personality range. Other than that, nope.
by saintal
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 confabulation

Spargo wrote:
Spargo wrote:Fat lady has entered the room...

And now is on the podium.

The audience is hushed in anticipation..
by saintal
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Let's sift through the fifth

MW wrote:Neade was awful.
blowtorch on Dixon this week?. 0.1 from 11 disp

Wingard seems to avoid heat for a bloke capable of so much more.
by saintal
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 Norwood v Ravens

Are they playing for the Tripodi Cup to recognise Joe's contribution to both clubs?
by saintal
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game - SANFL v WAFL @ Adelaide Oval Sat. 12/5

For anybody with a passing interest:

WEST END STATE TEAM

F: Jake Johansen, Josh Scott, Alex Barns
HF: Robbie Young, Jack Hayes, Justin Hoskin
C: Marlon Motlop, Zane Kirkwood, Jarred Allmond
HB: Cameron Shenton, Luke Thompson, Jack Stephens
B: Matt Rose, Fraser Evans, Tom Keough

R: Darcy Fort, Mitch Grigg, Matt Panos
INT: Kaine Stevens, Travis Schiller, Josh Hone, Aidan Riley, Sam Colquhoun, Jonathon Beech, Luke Surman

Forward line looks a little light on. Pleasing to see Matt Rose get a game, very consistent contributor since landing at Noarlunga.

I’ve attended a few state games but won’t be tuning in tomorrow, go watch some local footy instead.
by saintal
Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Worst album I’ve heard since smashing pumpkins “Adore” well most let down from an album I was looking forward to.

I thought STPs album last month was poor well it is 400% better than this

I quite liked Adore .

I agree about the new Stone Temple Pilots album though; They haven't done a consistently great record since No. 4 .

Adore has its moments. Ava Adore and Tear are the standouts for me, while other tracks like Crestfallen and Blank Page can strike a chord depending on mood. Does have some fairly skippable/forgettable tracks though.

Can understand why the masses were disappointed with it following on from MCIS. Certainly an album you need to be in a certain frame of mind for.
by saintal
Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Loved Rex on radio as a kid. Never understood the 'Tobin Brothers' dig at the ABC til I was older. A few that come to mind..

Steven Baker- The candlestick maker
Trent Croad- The Yellowbrick
Troy Makepeace- The Mediator
Trent Knoble- The Prize
Glen Manton- The Bolt
David Sierakowski- SOSAV (Son of a shark attack victim)
Michael Prior- The Conviction
Glen Kilpatrick- Oysters

The AFL needs more journalists like basketball's Boti Nagy. Informative without taking himself too seriously.
by saintal
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West vs Norwood 9/6

Had one eye on the second half- quite an entertaining, free flowing match. Bloods obviously shot themselves in the foot.
by saintal
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unlucky for some - Round 13

Socceroos 1 -0 Crows, during the past half hour.
by saintal
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide Sunday 1410

Hard to split Liddle and Cross. Liddle perhaps shades Cross but only just. Cross has been the better performer of the two in our finals campaigns however.

Has been a pleasure/privilege to watch them both week in week out.
by saintal
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals vs C$&@s at My Money Oval

13 goals. Sounds boring, as indicated above.

Atleast the right team won.
by saintal
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v North Sat 1420!

Important win. Broke even against the wind in the first term before opening up a 5 goal lead at HT. North clawed their way back into it, but after a very slow start to the final term South booted the final 4 majors with the wind to run out comfortable winners.

Entertaining match to watch for the most part I thought. Liked the games of Brooksby, Noble, Davis and Brown, young Kappler played OK after a forgettable debut last week, while the big Yank Aurrichio is offering a bit in ruck and up forward.

Well done to Rankine on 100 games. Can be a frustrating player to watch at times (ie today..streaming forward, goals within reach,but decides to handful to a stationary team-mate with a North bloke hanging off him. Why?!) but has had a reasonable year for us.

Low crowd and minimal atmosphere.
by saintal
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port V South Sat 1410

Awful recent record at Alberton, only a fool would take the $1.34 on offer for South.

Doesn't feel that long since "Sambo" was playing, will feel a little weird watching his son wearing the blue and white.
by saintal
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port V South Sat 1410

PA 0.0
SA 3.5

South should be 6 goals up. 20 inside 50s to just 4 for the Power. Port happy to chip the ball around half back, no intent to score.

Krueger 1.3 for South.
by saintal
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Soen- Tellurian. Sounds like modern Opeth, but better.
Oceansize- Everyone into position. Been too long between spins.
Orphaned Land- Mabool. Safe to assume they are the only Israeli band on my ipod.

:rock:
by saintal
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

Fairly minor compared to some of the issues raised in this thread...but visiting my parent's/childhood home for the final time yesterday. After building the house some 35 years ago my parents are downsizing, saying goodbye to the 90+ acres and responsibility that comes with it. Whilst it's for the best cant help but feel a bit flat thinking about it.

That's why they're called a house when you look at them and a home when you live in them. Is an odd feeling when "home" isn't home anymore.

90+ acres, whereabouts mate and did they still work the land?

Yeah you're right about home/house.

Property is in Lenswood, out towards Cudlee Creek. Both are retired now, so kept busy with some vines, cattle, sheep etc. The vines were certainly not enough of an revenue raiser to survive on, more of a hobby, while the livestock was really just to keep the grass in check.

They'll rent for a while before deciding on what to do next.
by saintal
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Leigh Ryswyk announces retirement

Quality player. Was great to watch at full flight.
by saintal
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 6

First Qualifying Final, 7:20pm at MCG

Richmond v Hawthorn

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 7

First Elimination Final, 7:50pm at MCG

Melbourne v Geelong Cats

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 8

Second Elimination Final, 4:20pm at SCG

Sydney Swans v GWS Giants

Second Qualifying Final, 8:10pm at Optus Stadium

West Coast Eagles v Collingwood

So Collingwood lose to WCE & they dont get back to Melbourne until Sunday where as the winner of Syd & GWS don't have to travel anywhere and get an extra days rest essentially than a Collingwood who have the double chance. Not sure why they have gone with the Thursday night game . Play the 2 qualifying finals on Fri & Sat night & the elimination finals Sat & Sun Arvo like it used to be.

TV $$$$
by saintal
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |