Round 6 Central v Sturt

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 Central v Sturt

Postby knowledge » Sun May 12, 2024 12:44 pm

Saw Anzac Lochowiak playing reserves yesterday, Mihail is injured. Anyone know about the younger brother, Jacob?
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:54 pm

Great result for Sturt. Centrals rarely lose at Elizabeth.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 573 times
Been liked: 214 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Big Phil » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

knowledge wrote:Saw Anzac Lochowiak playing reserves yesterday, Mihail is injured. Anyone know about the younger brother, Jacob?

Played for Kapunda in the BL&G League yesterday.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby locky801 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:44 pm

Big Phil wrote:
knowledge wrote:Saw Anzac Lochowiak playing reserves yesterday, Mihail is injured. Anyone know about the younger brother, Jacob?

Played for Kapunda in the BL&G League yesterday.

Bit of pocket money perhaps ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3756 times
Been liked: 1178 times

Postby northerner » Sun May 12, 2024 6:11 pm

Question for the Sturt supporters...
Sturt use of the open spaces was most impressive considering they train on the smaller deck.
Have the losses that Sturt had thusfar been on the smaller ovals? Cos it seems to me they are playing a style better suited to bigger grounds (which is beneficial come September).
northerner
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 442 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby knowledge » Sun May 12, 2024 7:03 pm

We’ve been ‘Jeckyl and Hyde’ this year. Pumped South at Noarlunga, thrashed Glenelg at Glenelg (which is similar in size to Unley) Dropped a game last week against WWTFC after being 4 goals up 12 mins into final 1/4. Lost to North by a goal. All to do with quick movement into our forwards repetitively, which we’ve done in the three wins and a 2/4 against Eagles. I don’t think ground size matters…..
knowledge
Rookie

Postby knowledge » Sun May 12, 2024 7:04 pm

We’ve been ‘Jeckyl and Hyde’ this year. Pumped South at Noarlunga, thrashed Glenelg at Glenelg (which is similar in size to Unley) Dropped a game last week against WWTFC after being 4 goals up 12 mins into final 1/4. Lost to North by a goal. All to do with quick movement into our forwards repetitively, which we’ve done in the three wins and a 2/4 against Eagles. I don’t think ground size matters…..
knowledge
Rookie

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun May 12, 2024 8:58 pm

knowledge wrote:We’ve been ‘Jeckyl and Hyde’ this year. Pumped South at Noarlunga, thrashed Glenelg at Glenelg (which is similar in size to Unley) Dropped a game last week against WWTFC after being 4 goals up 12 mins into final 1/4. Lost to North by a goal. All to do with quick movement into our forwards repetitively, which we’ve done in the three wins and a 2/4 against Eagles. I don’t think ground size matters…..

Beat us hands down, won well, but "thrashed"? The margin was 38 points. Maybe I have missed the thrashed memo, I always thought a thrashing was 60+.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1222 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 am

Sam Conforti a good addition for Sturt from Essendon VFL. A bit of pace and very good left foot kick. He and James Mathews gave the forward line a bit more zip. To restrict a side like Centrals to 41 points on a fine day at Elizabeth was a commendable defensive effort.
Sturt's best is very very good but they have had lapses where they get the balance wrong and go too slow and cautious. Need to try and get some consistency now.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby mots02 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:47 am

Ronnie wrote:Sam Conforti a good addition for Sturt from Essendon VFL. A bit of pace and very good left foot kick. He and James Mathews gave the forward line a bit more zip. To restrict a side like Centrals to 41 points on a fine day at Elizabeth was a commendable defensive effort.
Sturt's best is very very good but they have had lapses where they get the balance wrong and go too slow and cautious. Need to try and get some consistency now.

Really good assessment - our good is very good. Our balance of speed on the ball v tempo style needs some tweaking. Played the tempo style too much against the Eagles (1st and 4th qtrs) and got burnt. Played it for periods against Centrals and turned the ball over in some dangerous spots - we were able to win it back most times though so it didnt hurt.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 898 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Doddy » Mon May 13, 2024 3:03 pm

I know Sturt fans will be cranky about the free kick count and I would be too, but your players didn't let that phase them at all. Played a cracking running game which we couldn't seem to get on top of. And Snelling, 17 tackles!

I think we met a perfect storm, a day when the umps made very few calls on tackles and called a lot of ball ups instead, and our 1st choice ruck and magarey medallist rover out injured. The clearance stats favoured Sturt but not by as much as I would have thought, my guess is that when we cleared we lost the ball under their midfield pressure pretty instantly.

Also, and I haven't checked the stats on this one, Sturt have recenty caned us via a few big dominant forwards, but it felt like the small forwards were doing the damage this time. I'm surprised there didn't seem to be a change of tactics from Thommo to arrest their momentum and their running game. We only stopped them when we won the one on one's. Would be nice to see a plan B occasionally.

Hated losing, but entertaining footy to watch.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL