The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby DOC » Mon May 13, 2024 3:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:It is the broken promises which is most frustrating.

The promise the play to win and to play to the line at all times was always a furphy, it was always a development tool for them (and I don't blame them) but they got in on the condition that they would respect the SANFL competition.

And they can **** off with their top up players causing havoc in other SA leagues

Really? Was it not Norwood and PAFC (not port ) benefactor Joe Tripodi who was the ultimate sell out?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Postby MW » Mon May 13, 2024 3:15 pm

The promise the play to win and to play to the line at all times was always a furphy, it was always a development tool for them (and I don't blame them) but they got in on the condition that they would respect the SANFL competition.

The irony of a North Melbourne supporter posting this :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 13, 2024 3:19 pm

MW wrote:

Wait a second...........they played to the line too much!! It cost them Harley Reid :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dedja » Mon May 13, 2024 3:46 pm

DOC wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

And they can **** off with their top up players causing havoc in other SA leagues

Really? Was it not Norwood and PAFC (not port ) benefactor Joe Tripodi who was the ultimate sell out?

Correct weight, but that (effectively) casting vote would have meant nothing if other clubs had not already folded.

Dutchy is also correct, the clubs were sold a doomsday scenario which (in hindsight to some, but obvious to others at the time) never eventuated.

I can tell you that about 7 years ago there was only one Board member at one club (South) that continued their opposition to all this, everyone else at that stage just went with the flow.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby MW » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 pm

whufc wrote:
MW wrote:

Wait a second...........they played to the line too much!! It cost them Harley Reid :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually good point...they even f..ked that up :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:31 pm

DOC wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Really? I thought it was the majority.

Not that I had anything to do with it. I was too busy trying to defend the SAAFL against the lie that the Ravens would be going into Div. 1 if they didn't get into the SANFL. Astonishing that people actually believed it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby dedja » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Not that I had anything to do with it. I was too busy trying to defend the SAAFL against the lie that the Ravens would be going into Div. 1 if they didn't get into the SANFL. Astonishing that people actually believed it

Yep, that was one of the whoopers that the Crows were peddling to put pressure on the SANFL, who caved like a pack of cards.

Thanks for reminding us all that it just wasn't the SANFL that was affected by all this.
dedja
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 13, 2024 10:34 pm

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:
MW wrote:

Actually good point...they even f..ked that up :lol:

McKercher > Reid last weekend and is on par overall, but that doesn't make the clickbait that everyone falls for
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby dedja » Tue May 14, 2024 11:18 am

I’m referring the following posts in the SANFL 2024 thread as they are highly relevant here …

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Vamos wrote::lol: I find it hilarious the obsession with PAFC from people who don't even support them, hate them even :lol:

Nothing like someone who doesn't give a f*ck telling someone whose connection runs generations deep how we should look at ourselves.

I actually do give a f*ck about the Magpies and SA footy. Lots of people on here do.

I've been very fortunate over the years to work closely with many amazing Port people and have enormous respect for the club and the role it has played in SA footy. Some of the best people I met in footy came from or worked in the port zone, Bob Clayton, David Hutton, Brian Cunningham, Russell and Don McSweeny.

I think its really sad how the Magpies have been relegated by their own club and own people as 'just the ressies'.... but you seem ok with it and think that I'm wrong, I'm ok with that.

I agree 100% with you mots, regardless of what some of the so-called Port diehards say, everyone has a right to comment on the situation and it’s OK to disagree; the last time I looked that was called free speech and one of the reasons this site exists.

It does seem though that some of the Port faithful have completely disowned the Magpies and are fully with the corporate AFL entity that effectively replaced them in 1996. Again, that’s OK, but surprising given that one of them I know was basically in tears (I was there) when we all thought that it was the ‘last’ magpies match at Glenelg Oval a few years ago, IIRC ( happy to be corrected, I easily forget things now). It was a beautiful thing and many of us greatly sympathised.

It is what it is, and we’re at this point now, but it is a bit humorous that there is a suggestion that unless one was born on Alberton Oval 1,000 years ago, then they have no right to say anything and should stay in their lane.

This site revels on the cordial discord between footy diehards (amongst other things), so play on!
dedja
Coach

Postby Vamos » Tue May 14, 2024 10:44 pm

Can I have the bullet points please :shock:
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 491 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby dedja » Tue May 14, 2024 10:45 pm

Vamos wrote:Can I have the bullet points please :shock:

:lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed May 15, 2024 7:58 am

Attachments
IMG_4671.jpeg
IMG_4671.jpeg (113.33 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 15, 2024 10:33 am

- stop being a bitch
- booney cried like one at the last Maggies game
- 0-6
- 20 years and you’ve won **** all
- don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 15, 2024 12:22 pm

UK Fan wrote:

- stop being a bitch
- booney cried like one at the last Maggies game

- 0-6
- 20 years and you’ve won **** all
- don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out

STFU little man.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 pm

Abracadabra
Attachments
911CDEA4-4381-4D72-8D2C-87061A8368E2.jpeg
911CDEA4-4381-4D72-8D2C-87061A8368E2.jpeg (91.09 KiB) Viewed 1042 times

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:19 pm

dedja wrote:I’m referring the following posts in the SANFL 2024 thread as they are highly relevant here …

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Vamos wrote::lol: I find it hilarious the obsession with PAFC from people who don't even support them, hate them even :lol:

Nothing like someone who doesn't give a f*ck telling someone whose connection runs generations deep how we should look at ourselves.

I actually do give a f*ck about the Magpies and SA footy. Lots of people on here do.

I've been very fortunate over the years to work closely with many amazing Port people and have enormous respect for the club and the role it has played in SA footy. Some of the best people I met in footy came from or worked in the port zone, Bob Clayton, David Hutton, Brian Cunningham, Russell and Don McSweeny.

I think its really sad how the Magpies have been relegated by their own club and own people as 'just the ressies'.... but you seem ok with it and think that I'm wrong, I'm ok with that.

I agree 100% with you mots, regardless of what some of the so-called Port diehards say, everyone has a right to comment on the situation and it’s OK to disagree; the last time I looked that was called free speech and one of the reasons this site exists.

It does seem though that some of the Port faithful have completely disowned the Magpies and are fully with the corporate AFL entity that effectively replaced them in 1996. Again, that’s OK, but surprising given that one of them I know was basically in tears (I was there) when we all thought that it was the ‘last’ magpies match at Glenelg Oval a few years ago, IIRC ( happy to be corrected, I easily forget things now). It was a beautiful thing and many of us greatly sympathised.

It is what it is, and we’re at this point now, but it is a bit humorous that there is a suggestion that unless one was born on Alberton Oval 1,000 years ago, then they have no right to say anything and should stay in their lane.

This site revels on the cordial discord between footy diehards (amongst other things), so play on!

Thanks Dedja, I have always seen this site as a place to have the sort of banter you might have over a few beers at the pub with people you know well and with others you don't.

Sometimes serious, but usually pretty low grade stuff, often said just to stir the pot, rarely (if ever) with any malicious intent.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 898 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Vamos » Wed May 15, 2024 5:29 pm

am Bays wrote:

I'm quite concerned that you go around taking photos of dead Piping Shrike's. Seek help immediately please
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby Vamos » Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 pm

UK Fan wrote:Abracadabra

Reckon you'd make a good magician's assistant/prop :lol:
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby UK Fan » Sat May 18, 2024 11:42 am

Vamos wrote:

I wasn’t at the emotional last game of the Maggie’s btw but a bay supporting mate of mine was.

Apparently booney had to use what was left of the banner to wipe his massive honker after the game he was that upset.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Vamos » Sat May 18, 2024 3:36 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Vamos wrote:

I wasn’t at the emotional last game of the Maggie’s btw but a bay supporting mate of mine was.

Apparently booney had to use what was left of the banner to wipe his massive honker after the game he was that upset.

Mate? Now we know you're lying, you call them mates, they call you pest :lol:
Vamos
League - Top 5

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL