The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

tipper wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I would think a shortened season may be enough to keep the interest going. Maybe start off with 8 or 9 teams and run half a season, coinciding with the last half of the afl season and ran as curtain raisers. I could see that attracting a fair bit of interest

sorry, but the above coming from one of the posters that thought the reserves sides in the sanfl was a good idea and would raise interest in the sanfl tells me that it is doomed to fail

******* hell benny, I didn't realise your opinions dictated the outcome of things!

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 pm

whufc wrote:Doubt Australia is ready to get behind a women's aussie rules competition just look at the Goodes saga

What do you mean? Bias against a women's league based on (for example) the lack of revenue/interest it draws?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Booney wrote:
tipper wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I would think a shortened season may be enough to keep the interest going. Maybe start off with 8 or 9 teams and run half a season, coinciding with the last half of the afl season and ran as curtain raisers. I could see that attracting a fair bit of interest

sorry, but the above coming from one of the posters that thought the reserves sides in the sanfl was a good idea and would raise interest in the sanfl tells me that it is doomed to fail

******* hell benny, I didn't realise your opinions dictated the outcome of things!

I think it's more in the crap fortune teller category.
You know, like when Port said they'd never field a Power reserves competition in the SANFL.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

whufc wrote:Doubt Australia is ready to get behind a women's aussie rules competition just look at the Goodes saga

The tenuous link that you have found between the two will be riveting. Please, explain how you arrived at this?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 pm

therisingblues wrote:

What do you mean? Bias against a women's league based on (for example) the lack of revenue/interest it draws?

I manage a rec centre which runs multiple sporting comps both men's and women's in bball, soccer, netball, the amount of rubbish I hear come out of the blokes mouths about the standards of women's sport, the entertainment of women's sport and the sheer fact they are playing is embarrasing

If I got a dollar for how many times I heard, these women wouldn't even make our d grade, you should make them play in their bras now that will get people coming to watch etc etc I would never have to work another day in my life.

I reckon a women's AFL comp would get less than interest than the women's national bball comp gets now
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Booney wrote:

The tenuous link that you have found between the two will be riveting. Please, explain how you arrived at this?

From my experiences the majority of aussie blokes have followed the bogan Australia mindless sheep and think of female sport as completely inferior to male sport. Much like the majority of Goodes booers probably didn't know why they were booing the majority of people who hate women's sport don't know why they hate it and follow what their mates do

I'm talking more about the attitude not the actual issues.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Booney wrote:
tipper wrote:

I'm pretty influential I'll have you know...
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm all for there being a women's AFL, I do think the AFL has bigger issues to address first but no doubt it's great for women to have that oppurtunity

If the AFL thinks this comp will drum up enough support to be viable I disagree, I think the main benefit will come from extra participation numbers which would then filter on to supporting the male AFL comp.

I also wonder whether a women's AFL would kill the current state set up of women's football due to the sheer amount players that would be loss to the AFL comp and need replacing

Much like Rugby in the northern states women's AFL will always struggle a bit for numbers when compared to bball, netball, soccer due to the sheer fact a lot of females would rule themselves out because of not wanting or parents not letting them play such a physical sport. I was reading the other day in Queenslands women's touch participation level outweigh contact rugby by 1 in 10 females
Last edited by whufc on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 pm

whufc wrote:I'm all for there being a women's AFL, I do think the AFL has bigger issues to address first but no doubt it's great for women to have that oppurtunity

If the AFL thinks this comp will drum up enough support to be viable I disagree, I think the main benefit will come from extra participation numbers which would then follow on to supporting the male AFL comp

I think support on its own and support as curtain raisers to afl games are very different things. Instant exposure right there
Last edited by bennymacca on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Interesting read, Whuffer.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:I'm all for there being a women's AFL, I do think the AFL has bigger issues to address first but no doubt it's great for women to have that oppurtunity

If the AFL thinks this comp will drum up enough support to be viable I disagree, I think the main benefit will come from extra participation numbers which would then follow on to supporting the male AFL comp

I think support on its own and support as curtain raisers to afl games are very different things. I stand exposure right there

I would think at some point though the AFL would want it to be raising its own funds if they are going to be paying for girls to fly around Australia for sheer curtain raiser entertainment.
whufc
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:46 pm

whufc wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

I manage a rec centre which runs multiple sporting comps both men's and women's in bball, soccer, netball, the amount of rubbish I hear come out of the blokes mouths about the standards of women's sport, the entertainment of women's sport and the sheer fact they are playing is embarrasing

If I got a dollar for how many times I heard, these women wouldn't even make our d grade, you should make them play in their bras now that will get people coming to watch etc etc I would never have to work another day in my life.

I reckon a women's AFL comp would get less than interest than the women's national bball comp gets now

Makes me think of the Aussie movie "Puberty Blues" and the bit at the end where the girl gets on the surfboard. Amazing to think that is where we've come from, people wouldn't behave that way today.
Women's footy would be interesting to watch because as an audience you'd have an expectation of what they should be capable of, and sometimes they'd exceed that expectation, and sometimes fall short of it. Much in the same way we watch men's footy, it's great to watch that freak that can do what others can't, and sometimes the regular blokes reach inside themselves and find that bit extra in demand with the situation. Then the basic human aspect of screwing up when you least expect it keeps the tension alive in a tight situation.
All this would be present in women's sport. But AFL draws the big crowds because it is footy at the highest level, SANFL draws the crowds because it has that historic connection with the community. It is hard to see women's footy drawing a large enough crowd to get openly heckled in any significant way. I imagine the place where you work there are blokes playing the same sport on a different court, or before or after the women, and incidentally notice the women there and make an opportunist remark. I highly doubt there are blokes turning up just to watch the women play and then heckling them.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:54 pm

therisingblues wrote:
whufc wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

Makes me think of the Aussie movie "Puberty Blues" and the bit at the end where the girl gets on the surfboard. Amazing to think that is where we've come from, people wouldn't behave that way today.
Women's footy would be interesting to watch because as an audience you'd have an expectation of what they should be capable of, and sometimes they'd exceed that expectation, and sometimes fall short of it. Much in the same way we watch men's footy, it's great to watch that freak that can do what others can't, and sometimes the regular blokes reach inside themselves and find that bit extra in demand with the situation. Then the basic human aspect of screwing up when you least expect it keeps the tension alive in a tight situation.
All this would be present in women's sport. But AFL draws the big crowds because it is footy at the highest level, SANFL draws the crowds because it has that historic connection with the community. It is hard to see women's footy drawing a large enough crowd to get openly heckled in any significant way. I imagine the place where you work there are blokes playing the same sport on a different court, or before or after the women, and incidentally notice the women there and make an opportunist remark. I highly doubt there are blokes turning up just to watch the women play and then heckling them.

I guess take a look at SANFL clubs as instance they say average 2k to an average SANFL game how many spectators go to watch the Central District Women's Team and personally I think the women's comp does a great job promoting their footy
whufc
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 pm

I would guess that the friends/ relatives of the players, people with active roles at the clubs and there may or may not be a handful of ( mostly) women who do not fit the above categories, who turn up because they actually follow the team. I am guessing that there would be at most, an average of about 60 people who turn up to watch them, and that they very rarely, if ever, get heckled for being slower, less skilful, or sexier than men.
How close am I?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:14 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I think support on its own and support as curtain raisers to afl games are very different things. I stand exposure right there

I would think at some point though the AFL would want it to be raising its own funds if they are going to be paying for girls to fly around Australia for sheer curtain raiser entertainment.

Kerching ! Nail on the head
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:16 pm

therisingblues wrote:[Makes me think of the Aussie movie "Puberty Blues" and the bit at the end where the girl gets on the surfboard. Amazing to think that is where we've come from, people wouldn't behave that way today.

Just a pity the SANFL is stuck with the "sloppy seconds" :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

A team in SA,WA, NSW, QLD and perhaps 2 in VIC would mean only 2-3 teams flying around on any given weekend and I highly doubt it would be anymore than a 6-8 week comp in it's infancy. I can't see it being a full scale competition right away.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

am Bays wrote:
therisingblues wrote:[Makes me think of the Aussie movie "Puberty Blues" and the bit at the end where the girl gets on the surfboard. Amazing to think that is where we've come from, people wouldn't behave that way today.

People (blokes) watched Puberty Blues? :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm

am Bays wrote:

:lol: I have something to write here, but I think I better not.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:

People (blokes) watched Puberty Blues? :shock:

A feast of Aussie culture, shown at 12:00 in the morning or some such hour one month after I returned from 13 years in Japan. It was after watching this movie I stopped bowing to people, and began using words such as "mate" again.
Highly instructional. ;)
therisingblues
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL