2013 SANFL GRAND FINAL Norwood v Nth Adelaide

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2013 SANFL GRAND FINAL Norwood v Nth Adelaide

Postby leggies » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Max basheer must do the last one at footy park!
leggies
Under 16s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:
Jim05 wrote:If North play like they have in the first half of their last 2 games it will be over at the break but if they play like their second half we are in for a cracker.

There we have are first arrogant quote for the week. Didn't take long. ;)

Was going to pull you up over this on the game day thread. The last 2 weeks North have kicked into the wind and have been behind after qtr time, but right in it at half time. Don't think North have played that poorly. North's ability to get quick goals has helped. Something that West couldn't do.

Looking forward to a battle between 2 different game plans. Hopefully both sides can kick more than 10 goals.

Norwood go in as massive favourites, and rightly so as they have been the best team by far all year, but I genuinely believe North are the only side in the comp that can push them. Norwood go in cherry ripe with hardly any injury concerns, where as North have lost Max Thring (has that match winning talent) and maybe it's key in and under man Shannon.

Have a lot of respect for Norwood and it's fans, and am looking forward too next week, win or lose. Going to be a long week.

Not arrogant.
I was sitting amongst North fans last week and most of them were commenting on how bad North were in the first half. I thought you were very poor last week in the first half and didnt think this week was much better to start with. Thought you took awhile to get going today and shake off West

Lot of North supporters are Crow fans. Hint hint.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 pm

am Bays wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
dedja wrote:Righto, should be a healthier crowd now, maybe some people will actually pay to go this year ...

Will the GFC Bandwagon be making an appearance?

Yup, 'til about 3:00 pm!

Be getting used too it.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby rod_rooster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:If North play like they have in the first half of their last 2 games it will be over at the break but if they play like their second half we are in for a cracker.

Was going to pull you up over this on the game day thread. The last 2 weeks North have kicked into the wind and have been behind after qtr time, but right in it at half time. Don't think North have played that poorly. North's ability to get quick goals has helped. Something that West couldn't do.

Looking forward to a battle between 2 different game plans. Hopefully both sides can kick more than 10 goals.

Norwood go in as massive favourites, and rightly so as they have been the best team by far all year, but I genuinely believe North are the only side in the comp that can push them. Norwood go in cherry ripe with hardly any injury concerns, where as North have lost Max Thring (has that match winning talent) and maybe it's key in and under man Shannon.

Have a lot of respect for Norwood and it's fans, and am looking forward too next week, win or lose. Going to be a long week.

We were in front at 1/4 time today.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:See all you bastards next week.

Even with the Blixa Bargeld anglegrinder retrospective happening in Melbourne next Sunday? :D
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 pm

The cocks it is ...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Postby GrandOldFlag » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 pm

This is the GF the SANFL needed. Two traditional clubs with big supporter bases. Lets not talk of 30-35,000 crowds, it will be 35-40,000 given last year we got 29,300. This year neutrals will also want to attend.

North can dish up anything and their best is brilliant and they can score goals very quickly. We will have to be at our best to win and also kick a high enough score ourselves, something that has not been needed against West.
GrandOldFlag
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Lol :D I remember that bet

Where are you Constance :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby SimonH » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:can someone tell me the last time North played Norwood in a GF? (lest I get it wrong...) 8)

1960 North 14.11 Norwood 13.12
1952 North 23.15 Norwood 6.9
Amazing how little these two sides have played in finals (and obviously never in a GF) since 1960, given that both of them were up and about at various stages in the 1960s, and both of them were dominant at various stages in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. The periods of dominance just never seemed to coincide much. The see-saw has been even more pronounced in the new millennium, with one of North or Norwood featuring in the finals every year bar 2003— but 2012 was the first year that both of them made it.

Since that 1960 GF, I can only find the following finals match-ups:
1973 first semi-final: North Adelaide 13.17 (95) d Norwood 13.12 (90) (matching result from the 1960 GF, spookily)
1987 second semi-final: North Adelaide 11.7 (73) d Norwood 8.5 (53)
1989 preliminary final: North Adelaide 17.19 (121) d Norwood 13.7 (85) (although with what went on to happen the next week, you can make a case that North would have preferred to lose that one)
1995 first semi-final: Norwood 17.9 (111) d North Adelaide 15.10 (100).
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:39 pm

GrandOldFlag wrote:This is the GF the SANFL needed. Two traditional clubs with big supporter bases. Lets not talk of 30-35,000 crowds, it will be 35-40,000 given last year we got 29,300. This year neutrals will also want to attend.

North can dish up anything and their best is brilliant and they can score goals very quickly. We will have to be at our best to win and also kick a high enough score ourselves, something that has not been needed against West.

Agreed, but only 18 people paid last year ...

dedja
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mal wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:can someone tell me the last time North played Norwood in a GF? (lest I get it wrong...) 8)

NA 14-11
NW 13-12

There was an opinion going around that NW were deprived of a free kick late in the game, that could have turned the game
This has been refuted by other opinions
There is a 1960s thread in the History room detailing that game

You were there MAL, surely you saw the incident ;)

Jimbo
NW did an Essendon back in 1960 !!!
Reports from the times alleged that Killagrew's Redlegs were taking Pep Pills that season
The allegation was refuted by Killa

Bob Hammond who played for NA then NW played for NA in the 1960 Premiership
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1184 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby SimonH » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:45 pm

GrandOldFlag wrote:This is the GF the SANFL needed. Two traditional clubs with big supporter bases. Lets not talk of 30-35,000 crowds, it will be 35-40,000 given last year we got 29,300. This year neutrals will also want to attend.
Weather forecast looks currently not too bad (after some mid-week dodginess). Hope it holds (both for the sake of good-quality footy, and for the size of the crowd).

The other big unknown is the extent to which the SANFL play the 'last chance to see...' card. 'Cos to date there's been a lot of confident speculation, but absolutely zero by way of definite statements from the SANFL as to whether Footy Park will ever host another SANFL match after this weekend.
SimonH
Under 18s

Postby mal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
mal wrote:29/9/1923
On this day 90 years ago

NW 4-3....6.8....7-9...9-12
NA..2-1....4-1...5-1...6-4

Best for Norwood was follower Bert Schumacher
I recently met one of Berts offspring
He said it was tough for Bert having a German surname after WWI, and Bert would cop abuse

This 1923 Grand Final I believe is the only time Norwood has beaten North Adelaide in a Grand Final
Norwood won back to back flags after defeating WA in 1922 [NW 9-7, WA 2-16]
1923 is the last time Norwood have won back to back flags

Just 4 the record , I did not attend both games

Up until the 1995 First Semi Final we had a pretty impressive record of wins in finals against Norwood. Went back to sometime in the 30's from memory.

Your NA stablemate has posted in the past that between 1933-1995 NW had not beaten NA in finals
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Good summation about the Prospects of both teams in the GF
mal
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:49 pm

SimonH wrote:The other big unknown is the extent to which the SANFL play the 'last chance to see...' card. 'Cos to date there's been a lot of confident speculation, but absolutely zero by way of definite statements from the SANFL as to whether Footy Park will ever host another SANFL match after this weekend.

I so want to be the bloke to do this to Footy Park ...

dedja
Coach

Postby mal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 pm

dedja wrote:
SimonH wrote:The other big unknown is the extent to which the SANFL play the 'last chance to see...' card. 'Cos to date there's been a lot of confident speculation, but absolutely zero by way of definite statements from the SANFL as to whether Footy Park will ever host another SANFL match after this weekend.

I so want to be the bloke to do this to Footy Park ...

It looks like West Adelaide's backline !
mal
Coach

Postby SimonH » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 pm

dedja wrote:I so want to be the bloke to do this to Footy Park ...

A Sturt mate of mine is going to tie Des Foster down on the half-forward line before doing this one himself. All part of his therapy.
SimonH
Under 18s

Postby dedja » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Manos is still pissing himself over that decision ...

dedja
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:See all you bastards next week.

Even with the Blixa Bargeld anglegrinder retrospective happening in Melbourne next Sunday? :D

I would take far more than Blixa to keep me from the Grand Final. Iggy Pop and/or Jello at the very least. Although I am missing seeing The Cult do their three good songs. ;)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 am

I wouldn't be too confident about Norwood winning the GF, definitely not by the seven or eight goals mentioned. Although they have been the better team for most of the season, North at their best earlier in the season were playing better football than Norwood were at their best. The matches against West over the past two weeks can't really be used for comparison purposes as West were without Ryan Ferguson who would make at least a three goal difference.
If North played badly against the Eagles and West in the first half, then what could Norwood's last three quarters against West be described as? After all, the scores were pretty even for the last three quarters.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL