The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 06, 2015 2:15 pm

I went to the last half of Collingwood v Footscray in the VFL on Saturday.
We wanted to visit Vic Park, so the game being on was a bonus.
I was surprised to see so many people at the game. There would have been as many as an SANFL game there and many were wearing Collingwood or Footscray VFL gear, not AFL products.
I thought it may have been free as, like Unley, Vic Park is now just that during a week, a park. However, I've been told games are free every week.
Would the SANFL make it free admission for matches in order to try and boost crowds?
Whether free, or not, the SANFL needs to do something about its prices, as $14 is just too much.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby heater31 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I went to the last half of Collingwood v Footscray in the VFL on Saturday.
I was surprised to see so many people at the game. There would have been as many as an SANFL game there and many were wearing Collingwood or Footscray VFL gear, not AFL products.
I thought it may have been free as, like Unley, Vic Park is now just that during a week, a park. However, I've been told games are free every week.
Would the SANFL make it free admission for matches in order to try and boost crowds?
Whether free, or not, the SANFL needs to do something about its prices, as $14 is just too much.

Two AFL Reserve teams playing.....

I'be been to Victoria Park also for a VFL game in 2010, those thieving Collingwood bastards slugged me $10 entry ;)

I believe the outer terraces are now now more? They only had removed the roof back when I was there.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby RB » Wed May 06, 2015 3:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I went to the last half of Collingwood v Footscray in the VFL on Saturday.

Agree that $14 is ridiculous - the league seems desperate to remove any point of difference to the AFL. I think we'd see a big increase in supporters if the price was $10, although with the recent changes to the composition of the league who knows.

Re making it free, the WAFL did this years ago and they get pretty terrible crowds. There's no reason why that should happen here, however for some reason I'm wary of negative consequences of reducing it to free entertainment. If the powers that be had any sense, the price would be no more than $10.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 06, 2015 4:09 pm

I have always said the SANFL trial a free entry round and get clubs to run financial reports to gauge whether the larger crowds equalled extra income in the clubs pockets

What's the harm in trying it once
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:58 pm

RE - WAFL - they have had poor crowds for years, I spent some time over there and was staggered at the poor following.
What didn't help there cause is that WAFL matches would finish 20-30mins before an AFL match at Subiaco would start
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby JK » Wed May 06, 2015 5:15 pm

whufc wrote:

I have always said the SANFL trial a free entry round and get clubs to run financial reports to gauge whether the larger crowds equalled extra income in the clubs pockets

Reckon you're right, how would you play it? Pick say 2 rounds (so each club cops it for 1 home game) that include a few traditionally lower drawing games and see if it makes a difference? I dont think we'll ever get down to free attendance week in and week out, but I think reduced pricing, $8 or $10 is worth a try.

Replacing 1,000 admission fees in additional catering revenue is a massive ask.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 pm

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:

Reckon you're right, how would you play it? Pick say 2 rounds (so each club cops it for 1 home game) that include a few traditionally lower drawing games and see if it makes a difference? I dont think we'll ever get down to free attendance week in and week out, but I think reduced pricing, $8 or $10 is worth a try.

Replacing 1,000 admission fees in additional catering revenue is a massive ask.

Agree

I reckon a central vs South game would be the perfect chance to trial such a option

As u said trial it for both games so both clubs trial it

If it become a financial success maybe trial it the next year at club for two home games rather than one and see if there is a novelty factor to it or whether it's just the encouragement fans need to come back
whufc
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 pm

IMHO $14 dollars is fine with discount for pensioners etc for 2 to 4 hours of live entertainment.
Less than a couple of beers at the pub.
I think the home club keeps all the gate.
Also each club sells season tickets and keeps the cash.
This can work out about half price if you attend most games.
If you take this money from the clubs where do they replace this income source?
A number of clubs are under the hammer as it is financially.
Some poorer clubs could fold or need to amalgamate.
Having said that,some more financial high membership clubs may get stronger as others struggle to pay their bills.
Smaller player payments would see a raft of players defect to the country and ammos,
therefore weaking the league playing standard.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby spell_check » Wed May 06, 2015 6:38 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Easy. Make 8 and play 3 times ;)

Always agree

Arch44 wrote:I think the style of football is affecting the crowd numbers. The full oval press going both ways is very frustrating to watch! I left Richmond Oval Sunday more annoyed with the standard of footy than Centrals actually losing. My 1st game in 2 years and it might be another 2 years before I go back.

And always agree here too...it's an AFL game plan played by SANFL clubs. I guess I have to/have learned to live with it now.

The only way to combat that is give teams a bonus half a premiership point for scoring 100+ points in a match, win, lose or draw...but that will never happen because games aren't played at the same time each week.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 181 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 06, 2015 7:21 pm

spell_check wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Easy. Make 8 and play 3 times ;)

Always agree

Arch44 wrote:I think the style of football is affecting the crowd numbers. The full oval press going both ways is very frustrating to watch! I left Richmond Oval Sunday more annoyed with the standard of footy than Centrals actually losing. My 1st game in 2 years and it might be another 2 years before I go back.

And always agree here too...it's an AFL game plan played by SANFL clubs. I guess I have to/have learned to live with it now.

The only way to combat that is give teams a bonus half a premiership point for scoring 100+ points in a match, win, lose or draw...but that will never happen because games aren't played at the same time each week.

Agree

The full press and slingshot tactics plus recent rule changes leave me with very little entertainment from watching 99% of SANFL/AFL football matches

If anything though the AFL is coming away from this style yet it seems to be growing stronger in the SANFL
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed May 06, 2015 7:25 pm

I've generally been against major rule changes and adding bonus points would be a huge change to the game

I'm slowly turning around though and thinking something like that might give the SANFL the kick start needed to win fans back and at change this ugly style of football we now see

I think this is one reason soccer continues to gain more and more of my attention each year

It's still the same game I grew up playing and watching and loving as a kid

Unfortunatly I can't say the same about the current SANFL and AFL it's a hybrid of the aussie rules I use to play and love
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Wed May 06, 2015 7:33 pm

A lingerie league at halftime?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:19 pm

JK wrote:A lingerie league at halftime?

make sure its out of the view of the family friendly area
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:22 pm

why not implement a bonus point for scoring over 100pts??

Bonus Points used in Union

4 points for a win.
2 points for a draw.
1 "bonus" point for scoring 4 tries (or more)./ make it 100 points
1 "bonus" point for losing by 7 points (or fewer)./ make it under 12pts

No team can get more than 5 points in a match.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby The analyst » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 pm

All good points here....even the lingerie league !!!!

Don't forget though....we have had the coldest and wettest autumn for quite a while and good weather equals increase in crowd numbers.
The analyst
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby on the rails » Wed May 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Don't fancy seeing you in that kit!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby JK » Wed May 06, 2015 9:21 pm

on the rails wrote:

Don't fancy seeing you in that kit!

Not enough Bundy in the world?? ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 am

Someone just tweeted this
Attachments
Crowds.JPG
Crowds.JPG (126.21 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 07, 2015 10:05 am

Interesting, some of that just ring true with me.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby saintal » Thu May 07, 2015 10:44 am

Very fair comment. It’s increasingly hard to watch the majority of AFL/SANFL games as a “neutral”. Mass flooding/basketball/sling-shot tactics do little for the spectacle. That, and the fact that talent has been spread too thin at AFL level, also impacting on the standard of the states leagues.

I think the fact that South are actually winning a few games for a change has masked the fact that some games are very dull and defensive.

According to Scott’s ladder, only 2 sides are averaging more than 90 points (WWT, Sturt) and one other above 80 (WA)
Last edited by saintal on Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL